PDA

View Full Version : After cathedral clash, Copts doubt future in Egypt

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-13-2013, 10:50 AM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/cathedral-clash-copts-doubt-future-egypt-151603174.html

FIGHTING BACK
The sectarian strife is a sharp contrast to the harmonious images of the anti-Mubarak revolt in Cairo's Tahrir Square, when Copts formed protective cordons around Muslims at prayer and Muslims brandished the Koran and the Bible.
Many moderate and liberal Muslims attended the cathedral's funeral service and others were quick to come the next day after to show their solidarity and denounce Mursi and the Brotherhood.
"The attack is unacceptable to me," said Ahmed Sharif, a Muslim. "For me, the Coptic Cathedral is a symbol of Egypt like al-Azhar," he said, referring to the highest Muslim authority.
Sidhom, the Coptic editor, said that while some Christians might be planning to leave the vast majority would stay to confront the Brotherhood in upcoming parliamentary elections. "I am one of those who want to stay and fight back," he said.
In last June's presidential poll, many Copts voted for Mubarak's last premier, Ahmed Shafiq, who came a close second.
Many now hope moderate Muslims fed up with queues at fuel stations, power cuts and a rise in crime will turn against the Brotherhood at the polls, which could take place in October.
But their hopes could be dashed if the weak and fragmented opposition fails to unite or sticks to threats of a boycott.