PDA

View Full Version : Calif. gun bill leads the way

stephanie
06-01-2007, 12:45 PM
:poke:

By The Denver Post Editorial Board
Article Last Updated: 05/31/2007 09:06:24 PM MDT

The California state Assembly Tuesday voted to require all new semi-automatic pistols sold in the state to automatically stamp information on shell casings that could help police track down violent criminals.

The California measure, which still has to pass the state Senate, marks an intriguing new development in the war against crime because, unlike some gun-control measures, it doesn't restrict law-abiding citizens' ability to own or carry firearms. Instead, the measure would require that all new semi-automatic pistols sold in California after 2010 contain a microscopic laser etching that will stamp the gun's make, model and serial number on at least two places on the shell casing of a bullet every time the weapon is fired.

As passed by the California Assembly, the proposal would apply only to new semi-automatic pistols, not to resale of older weapons or revolvers. That's sensible because while extensive testing has shown the so-called "microstamping" works well with new weapons, a study by University of California at Davis graduate student Michael Beddow found the technology was less effective when applied retroactively to older weapons.

Perhaps more important politically, retroactively stamping existing firearms would stir up a hornet's nest of opposition from gun-rights groups, who would resist turning in their weapons to authorities, however briefly, for the procedure. Revolvers are exempt from the law because they do not automatically eject their casings.

The bill's sponsor, Assemblyman Mike Feuer, D-Los Angeles, said 2,400 homicides are committed each year in California and about 60 percent involve the use of a handgun. About 45 percent of those homicides are never solved because of lack of clues, Feuer said. Because 70 percent of the new handguns sold in California are semi-automatic pistols, the new technology, over time, would be a significant tool for law enforcement in tracing guns used in crime back to their original buyers and in cracking down on "straw buyers" who purchase guns for criminals.

Rep. Xavier Becerra, D-Calif., and Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., have said they plan to introduce microstamping bills of their own in Congress. States are the laboratory of government innovation these days, and we hope the California Senate passes the bill and that Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signs it. If the technique helps track down violent criminals in California, it can be adopted in other states or at the national level.
http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_6031144

Mr. P
06-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Geeeeeeezzzzz

Knock, knock...

Yes officer?

Are you John Doe?

Yes, Officer.

Do you own a xxx pistol?

I did but it was stolen a year ago, I reported it.

Turn around sir and place your hands behind your back.

But...But..What's wrong, Officer?

The gun you bought killed someone, sir, you're under arrest.

THIS IS DUMB AS SHIT!

Little-Acorn
06-01-2007, 02:07 PM
As passed by the California Assembly, the proposal would apply only to new semi-automatic pistols, not to resale of older weapons
And they promise, cross their hearts, they they will never, ever go back at a later date and try to change it to apply to older weapons, with penalties perscribed to people who don't obey.

Don't worry. We can trust them.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

Monkeybone
06-01-2007, 02:16 PM
good idea, but Mr. P makes a point.

wasn't there a gun or atleast an idea for a gun that you had to have a ring on to work it?

Little-Acorn
06-01-2007, 02:33 PM
good idea, but Mr. P makes a point.

wasn't there a gun or atleast an idea for a gun that you had to have a ring on to work it?

Yes. It basically guaranteed that, if you were a cop or home defender who ran out of ammo in a fight, or lost or dropped your gun while taking on a criminal, your partner couldn't toss you his spare gun to use. You had to sit there and take the bad guy's bullets.

Great idea, as are most of the anti-gun-rights crowd's "ideas".

5stringJeff
06-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Yet another reason I'll never live in California.

Gaffer
06-01-2007, 04:58 PM
I left calif in 73, never looked back.

Monkeybone
06-01-2007, 05:48 PM
instead of having a gun that 'marks' each bullet, why don't they make it so you have to order it? and then you are assigned a number or someting with which the number is marked....anyone get what i am saying? i think that it is a waste of money idea basically

Gunny
06-01-2007, 05:57 PM
instead of having a gun that 'marks' each bullet, why don't they make it so you have to order it? and then you are assigned a number or someting with which the number is marked....anyone get what i am saying? i think that it is a waste of money idea basically

Give them time. They'll come up with something even dumber sooner or later. I STILL marvel at the fact that a detachable magazine, bayonet lug, and or pistol grip define an "assault rifle."

Hell, I got a stack of "assault bricks" in the garage.:laugh2: