PDA

View Full Version : Where does the Constitution say the cops must READ YOU your "Miranda" rights?

Little-Acorn
04-20-2013, 10:27 PM
You know which ones I mean. You have the right to remain silent, you have a right to an attorney, etc. etc. and all the rest.

Of course, it's vitally necessary that accused persons have these rights, even the Boston Marathon Bomber slimeball, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Far too easy for the government to abuse people if we don't ALL have these rights.

But where does it say that, when a cop arrests you, he must suddenly turn into a schoolteacher and inform you of those rights?

If I'm going to drive a car, does some cop have to walk into my driveway before I leave, and inform me that it's illegal to run a stop sign, illegal to speed, illegal to turn left on a red light etc., so that if I later do one of those things I can't claim that I didn't know the law? No. In fact, the cops can simply assume I did know the law, and if I didn't, that's my tough luck. It is NOT their job to inform me of what the law says before I drive and possibly violate a law.

So why is it their job to inform a suspect of what the law says about his rights, when they arrest him?

It's certainly their job to respect his rights, and get him a lawyer if he wants one, and not press him if he doesn't want to answer their questions etc. etc. The Constitution is very clear on that, and again I wouldn't have it any other way. But I have yet to see the part of the Constitution that says it is their job to INFORM him of those rights.

People are yelling about how the cops didn't "Mirandize" the Boston bomber before asking questions. They claim some "public safety" exception, which I would imagine means that if there might be other bombs around waiting to go off, the cops don't have to waste time explaining his rights to him. But, I'm sure, they must RESPECT his rights: Quit questioning him if he doesn't want to answer, get him a lawyer etc.

But to the people screaming that they didn't EXPLAIN his rights to him, I say: So what? Where does the Constitution say they have to EXPLAIN them to him (or to any other suspect)?

I know, I know, the Miranda v. Arizona ruling says so, handed down by a Warren court notorious for inventing laws that never existed. But that doesn't answer my question.

Certainly any suspect must have those rights, no question, and the cops must obey them. But where does the Constitution say the cops must turn into schoolteachers and EXPLAIN them?

revelarts
04-21-2013, 12:51 AM
It doesn't.

it's one if the few places where police are specifically mandated by the courts to take one very small extra step than the constitution requires.

But lets turn the question around, where in the constitution are police given ANY authority to:
warrantless wire tap
Sneak and peak search
Tracking devices
Download the info from your cell phone
get No-Knock warrants
give enforce laws that fine or jail without trials by jury
Incarcerate without trial -overnight or for 1 hour-
run a gun trade in program
enforce any anti gun laws
Require people show an ID upon request
Require you to stay indoor or curfew or city "lockdown"
Require you obey their orders at all or else.
(For Taft) require that you give them your weed
Stop and frisk
Indefinite detention
TortureC

to name a few off the top of my head.

Where are the FBI, NSA, TSA etc in the constitution at all?
where are local and state police in the constitution at all?

All rights and authority not granted to feds in the Constitution remain with the people and the states.
Police are extra constitutional and nearly all of the powers we assume they have, legit or not, comes from Outside of the Constitution.
miranda is not an undo burden and it is really a very small nod in the direction of the constitution that all local state and federal office give an oath to defend anyway.
but today assume powers FAR a field of it.