PDA

View Full Version : What if this had been your daughter?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-21-2013, 01:49 PM
http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/middle-school-anti-bullying-lesson-includes-lesbian-role-play.html

Middle School Anti-Bullying Lesson Includes Lesbian Role Play
The special health class was held last week at Linden Avenue Middle School in Red Hook, NY (http://www.redhookcentralschools.org/page/193). The students were separated by gender – with students from Bard College leading the workshops.Parents are especially furious after their young daughters were told that it was perfectly normal for 14-year-old girls to have sex and there was nothing their parents could do to intervene.The boys and girls were also given a sexual vocabulary primer – that included words like “pansexual” and “genderqueer.”“I am furious,” said Mandy Coon, whose daughter was in the class. “I am her parent. Where does anyone get the right to tell her that it’s okay for her to have sex?”Coon told Fox News that her daughter was upset by the classroom lecture and was confused about why she had to ask another girl for a kiss.“She told me, ‘Mom, we all get teased and picked on enough – now I’m going to be called a lesbian because I had to ask another girl if I could kiss her,’” Coon said.She said the school told her that the purpose of the lesson was to “teach girls boundaries and how to say no.”“They also picked two girls to stand in front of the class and pretend they were lesbians on a date,” Coons said.
Paul Finch, the superintendent of the Red Hook Central School District, told the Poughkeepsie Journal (http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20130417/NEWS01/304160055/Anti-bullying-lesson-puts-parents-edge-Red-Hook)that the workshop focused on “improving culture, relationships, communication and self-perceptions.”He told the newspaper those were issues the school was obligated to teach under the state’s Dignity for All Students Act.The state law requires schools to create a safe and supportive environment free from discrimination, intimidation, taunting, harassment and bullying, the newspaper reported.Parents said they were not notified about the class or the subject matter.
“The school is overstepping its bounds in not notifying parents first and giving us the choice,” parent Tara Burns told Fox News. “I thought it was very inappropriate. That kind of instruction is best left up to the parents.”
Parents of male students were also upset after the college-aged lecturer discussed items like condom usage and whether girls are sluts.
“I was absolutely furious – really furious,” said the parent of a 13-year-old who asked not to be identified. “They were teaching the boys how to decipher if a girl is a slut.”
The parent said the boys were told you could make that determination by how girls dress or how many boys they date.
“We don’t judge people like that in our family,” she said. “We don’t call women names because of what they wear or who they date.”
The parent told Fox News that boys were also instructed to always have a condom in their wallet.“These are just kids,” she said. “I’m dumbfounded that they found this class was appropriate.”Coon wondered why the school district allowed college students to lead the workshops without teacher involvement. “Those student were not licensed, they are not trained professionals,” she said.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the progressive agenda. To destroy CHRISTIAN VALUES and teach kids if it feels good do it regardless of what your parents say!! -Tyr

Noir
04-22-2013, 03:37 AM
Four things of note from the article -

- the girls didn't want to do a roleplay/drama for fear of being picked on and bullied, one can only imagine how bad it is at this school for actual lesbians.

- the 'slut identification' aspect is textbook rape-culture thinking. i.e. 'if a woman dresses like this, she wants it'

- College students should not be taking classes.

- There is nothing the parents of a 14 year old lesbian can do if she decides to have sex, regardless of what the parent thinks.

red states rule
04-22-2013, 03:49 AM
http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/middle-school-anti-bullying-lesson-includes-lesbian-role-play.html

Middle School Anti-Bullying Lesson Includes Lesbian Role Play
The special health class was held last week at Linden Avenue Middle School in Red Hook, NY (http://www.redhookcentralschools.org/page/193). The students were separated by gender – with students from Bard College leading the workshops.Parents are especially furious after their young daughters were told that it was perfectly normal for 14-year-old girls to have sex and there was nothing their parents could do to intervene.The boys and girls were also given a sexual vocabulary primer – that included words like “pansexual” and “genderqueer.”

“I am furious,” said Mandy Coon, whose daughter was in the class. “I am her parent. Where does anyone get the right to tell her that it’s okay for her to have sex?”Coon told Fox News that her daughter was upset by the classroom lecture and was confused about why she had to ask another girl for a kiss.“She told me, ‘Mom, we all get teased and picked on enough – now I’m going to be called a lesbian because I had to ask another girl if I could kiss her,’” Coon said.She said the school told her that the purpose of the lesson was to “teach girls boundaries and how to say no.”“They also picked two girls to stand in front of the class and pretend they were lesbians on a date,” Coons said.
Paul Finch, the superintendent of the Red Hook Central School District, told the Poughkeepsie Journal (http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20130417/NEWS01/304160055/Anti-bullying-lesson-puts-parents-edge-Red-Hook)that the workshop focused on “improving culture, relationships, communication and self-perceptions.”He told the newspaper those were issues the school was obligated to teach under the state’s Dignity for All Students Act.The state law requires schools to create a safe and supportive environment free from discrimination, intimidation, taunting, harassment and bullying, the newspaper reported.Parents said they were not notified about the class or the subject matter.
“The school is overstepping its bounds in not notifying parents first and giving us the choice,” parent Tara Burns told Fox News. “I thought it was very inappropriate. That kind of instruction is best left up to the parents.”
Parents of male students were also upset after the college-aged lecturer discussed items like condom usage and whether girls are sluts.
“I was absolutely furious – really furious,” said the parent of a 13-year-old who asked not to be identified. “They were teaching the boys how to decipher if a girl is a slut.”
The parent said the boys were told you could make that determination by how girls dress or how many boys they date.
“We don’t judge people like that in our family,” she said. “We don’t call women names because of what they wear or who they date.”
The parent told Fox News that boys were also instructed to always have a condom in their wallet.“These are just kids,” she said. “I’m dumbfounded that they found this class was appropriate.”Coon wondered why the school district allowed college students to lead the workshops without teacher involvement. “Those student were not licensed, they are not trained professionals,” she said.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the progressive agenda. To destroy CHRISTIAN VALUES and teach kids if it feels good do it regardless of what your parents say!! -Tyr

Another reason to home school. When will parents wake up and get their kids out of theae sewers of liberalism?

Voted4Reagan
04-22-2013, 04:03 AM

- the girls didn't want to do a roleplay/drama for fear of being picked on and bullied, one can only imagine how bad it is at this school for actual lesbians.

- the 'slut identification' aspect is textbook rape-culture thinking. i.e. 'if a woman dresses like this, she wants it'

- There is nothing the parents of a 14 year old lesbian can do if she decides to have sex, regardless of what the parent thinks.

Address the issue.

Was the school acting properly allowing this to happen?

Noir
04-22-2013, 04:07 AM
Address the issue.

Was the school acting properly allowing this to happen?

That would be covered under point three, college students shouldn't be taking classes.

No they did not.

red states rule
04-22-2013, 04:15 AM
It could have been worse

The school could have had a showing of the History Channel "The Bible"

Then libs would have taken the school to court over that and demanded the teachers be fired

taft2012
04-22-2013, 05:21 AM
their young daughters were told that it was perfectly normal for 14-year-old girls to have sex and there was nothing their parents could do to intervene.

Well, yeah there is something parents can do.

Having sex with a 14 year-old girl is illegal in New York.

Obviously these college students were not law school students.

Voted4Reagan
04-22-2013, 05:52 AM
That would be covered under point three, college students shouldn't be taking classes.

No they did not.

instead of trying and failing to make some intellectual high brow statement as you always seem to try to do, address the issues directly.

Dont lace them with distracting pieces of fluff and just say weather you agree or disagree and why you think so.

Lets examine your original post in this thread.

Not one word of weather you agree or disagree, but you try and deflect using 4 points that have nothing to do with the premise of the thread.

People would respect you more if you actually answered a question or made clear statement . All you do now is deflect from the thread to put forward your own opinion.

tailfins
04-22-2013, 06:11 AM
I raise my sons not to be surprised by anything. My only question is this: Would my son have gotten in trouble for calling the teacher a slut? Just asking.

DragonStryk72
04-22-2013, 06:43 AM

- They were worried about being picked on more, and it's high school, so yes, it's quite likely. And let's be honest, if there's something you can be picked on for in high school and it's known, you're going to get picked on for it at some point. Not to the bullying level, just picked on (Yes, there's a difference. I was both picked on and bullied in school.).

- Yes, so maybe the class shouldn't have been looking to teach that thinking, hm?

- Well, they were teaching it, but yeah, that's clearly not supposed to be how things happen.

- No, that's not what the class was talking about. The class was teaching that it was perfectly normal for 14-year old girls, lesbian or not, to start having sex. Then they forced same said girls into acting like lesbian couples.

Even if there were positives to what the classes were teaching, They still screwed it into the ground.

glockmail
04-22-2013, 08:18 AM
.When will parents wake up and get their kids out of theae sewers of liberalism?

I did, moved from NY before my kids were school age.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-22-2013, 09:32 AM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by maineman http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=1198005#post1198005)
You are the biggest toughest badass internet stalker I have ever known...

Is there a maineman at this forum? I do not recall seeing any posts by a member with that name.
Congrats on scaring the poor soul so greatly.--:beer:

I've always held that those that so easily quake in their boots deserve it for being so damn cowardly.-Tyr

glockmail
04-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Is there a maineman at this forum? I do not recall seeing any posts by a member with that name.
Congrats on scaring the poor soul so greatly.--:beer:

I've always held that those that so easily quake in their boots deserve it for being so damn cowardly.-Tyr

Not anymore. He got banned permanently for posting disgusting stories about sex with kids. Ask RSR about him.

Syrenn
04-23-2013, 01:09 AM

yep, i got the same things you did.

private school....the only way to go.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-23-2013, 08:20 PM
yep, i got the same things you did.

private school....the only way to go.

Or you could spend vast amounts of time reteaching your child. I did that with my baby girl and now looks like I'll have to do so yet again with my son ! Great that I have a fine library and love to teach,at least love to teach my own kids that is .- ;) -Tyr

Noir
04-26-2013, 05:13 PM
instead of trying and failing to make some intellectual high brow statement as you always seem to try to do, address the issues directly.

Dont lace them with distracting pieces of fluff and just say weather you agree or disagree and why you think so.

I agreed and disagreed with several different parts of the OP, though the point about it being college students does arch over the whole story imo, its not a simple yes/no.

Lets examine your original post in this thread.

Not one word of weather you agree or disagree, but you try and deflect using 4 points that have nothing to do with the premise of the thread.

People would respect you more if you actually answered a question or made clear statement . All you do now is deflect from the thread to put forward your own opinion.

Yeah, you got me, i used my post to input my opinion -sure some will say to do so is audacious, or even maverick.- I just can't be tamed.

Noir
04-26-2013, 05:26 PM
- They were worried about being picked on more, and it's high school, so yes, it's quite likely. And let's be honest, if there's something you can be picked on for in high school and it's known, you're going to get picked on for it at some point. Not to the bullying level, just picked on (Yes, there's a difference. I was both picked on and bullied in school.).

Inwhich caae the problem are any bullies, not what 'may give them something to pick on about'

- Yes, so maybe the class shouldn't have been looking to teach that thinking, hm?

Damn right they shouldn't.

- Well, they were teaching it, but yeah, that's clearly not supposed to be how things happen.

Agree

- No, that's not what the class was talking about. The class was teaching that it was perfectly normal for 14-year old girls, lesbian or not, to start having sex. Then they forced same said girls into acting like lesbian couples.

Yeah normal was probably the wrong phrase to use, something like 'not uncommon' would probably of been better. Also i think a lot is being made of this 'forced lesbian roleplay' inwhich the only reference seems to be that one girl had to ask another girl to kiss her, and the other girl had to say no. Real intense...lets hope none of these girls want to go to drama school.

Even if there were positives to what the classes were teaching, They still screwed it into the ground.

They did, for all the good there may of been, there's enough of made this a terrible class.

Thunderknuckles
04-26-2013, 05:43 PM
Yeah normal was probably the wrong phrase to use, something like 'not uncommon' would probably of been better.
Couldn't help but laugh at that. We currently use "Normal" as a baseline and everything else that is not Normal get's a special term. Noir's idea kinda turns that around into a funny view of the world. We can now classify people in a far more confusing way:

The 'not unhandicapped' and the handicapped.
The 'not unpoor' and the poor.
The 'not unterrorist' and the terrorist.

Anyone else want to play?
:laugh:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Couldn't help but laugh at that. We currently use "Normal" as a baseline and everything else that is not Normal get's a special term. Noir's idea kinda turns that around into a funny view of the world. We can now classify people in a far more confusing way:

The 'not unbright and the unbright.
The 'not unhinged and the unhinged.
The 'not unwithdrawn and the unwithdrawn.
The 'not unwitty and the unwitty....................:laugh:

SassyLady
04-26-2013, 07:51 PM

Noir, it is still the parents prerogative to determine when and how their children learn about sex and in what manner. Having college students teaching them this is no better than having their buddies teaching them. I would be furious with the school.

Noir
04-27-2013, 08:59 AM

Something can be both normal and uncommon, just as things can be abnormal and common. They are different words with different meanings. Personally i think the wrong words, and thus meanings, where used/taught in the class.

Noir
04-27-2013, 09:01 AM
Noir, it is still the parents prerogative to determine when and how their children learn about sex and in what manner. Having college students teaching them this is no better than having their buddies teaching them. I would be furious with the school.

Agree with the college students thing, as for
the 'parents prerogative' sure, but they should of already done so by the time their child is 14, or it will be their buddies who get there first.

jimnyc
04-27-2013, 11:33 AM

but they should of already done so by the time their child is 14, or it will be their buddies who get there first.

While a lot of things may happen, against a parents best parenting and teaching, that still shouldn't give schools a right to intervene and parent for us. IMO, teaching about sex and health in general is one thing, but literally teaching them about sex and lesbians - that's for a parent to talk to their kids about, not for a school to do without a parents permission.

Yes, I agree, kids are kids and they will find things out anyway, a lot of them anyway. But we don't assume that, and then hand over a portion of parenting to teachers as a result.

tailfins
04-27-2013, 11:58 AM
While a lot of things may happen, against a parents best parenting and teaching, that still shouldn't give schools a right to intervene and parent for us. IMO, teaching about sex and health in general is one thing, but literally teaching them about sex and lesbians - that's for a parent to talk to their kids about, not for a school to do without a parents permission.

Yes, I agree, kids are kids and they will find things out anyway, a lot of them anyway. But we don't assume that, and then hand over a portion of parenting to teachers as a result.

"Family" Court is the best sex education class there is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV3AbRUvi64