PDA

View Full Version : My son went shooting for the first time

tailfins
04-24-2013, 08:35 AM
For his 12th birthday, he wanted to go to a shooting range. We rented a glock 9mm and he shot off 50 shots. Afterwards he said he couldn't wait to tell other kids at school. I said since we are in NH and not MA, there will be other kids who have been to the shooting range. He replied, "You'd be surprised." He then said he wanted to show other kids the proper way to hold a pistol, demonstrating with a "bang". I told him to explain it before just doing that. He then asked why schools are so weird about guns. I explained it's for government schools to train kids to be in favor of outlawing guns when they are older.

His reply was unforgettable:
"Then it's important for every kid to go to the shooting range."

Marcus Aurelius
04-24-2013, 08:42 AM
Glad he liked it. My 12 year old discovered shooting at scout camp a few years ago, and now has his own 22 rifle (a Marlin 80 like the one below... a gift from my cousins husband, with a lot of family history to it). He plans on working on the Rifle merit badge this summer. It's a nice father/son hobby, and not overly expensive, depending on what you shoot and where.

Enjoy!
http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2010/05/19/34613_01_nice_marlin_80_dl_640.jpg

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-24-2013, 10:01 PM
For his 12th birthday, he wanted to go to a shooting range. We rented a glock 9mm and he shot off 50 shots. Afterwards he said he couldn't wait to tell other kids at school. I said since we are in NH and not MA, there will be other kids who have been to the shooting range. He replied, "You'd be surprised." He then said he wanted to show other kids the proper way to hold a pistol, demonstrating with a "bang". I told him to explain it before just doing that. He then asked why schools are so weird about guns. I explained it's for government schools to train kids to be in favor of outlawing guns when they are older.

His reply was unforgettable:
"Then it's important for every kid to go to the shooting range."
When I was kid the shooting range was my front or back yard. Growing up on a farm has its advantages but playing all day even as a kid was never one of them. I had to do my chores and one of them was bringing in food (wildgame). Shells had to be cheap and the cheapest were 22 caliber. I was shooting a 22 caliber rifle long before I ever shot a BB gun.. During the really hard years the wild game made up the difference in feeding 13 people.
Nice that you guys's kids can enjoy shooting without it being a chore .-Tyr

Robert A Whit
04-24-2013, 10:30 PM
When I was kid the shooting range was my front or back yard. Growing up on a farm has its advantages but playing all day even as a kid was never one of them. I had to do my chores and one of them was bringing in food (wildgame). Shells had to be cheap and the cheapest were 22 caliber. I was shooting a 22 caliber rifle long before I ever shot a BB gun.. During the really hard years the wild game made up the difference in feeding 13 people.
Nice that you guys's kids can enjoy shooting without it being a chore .-Tyr

I lived in a tract home area but not far were open fields and hills. I shot in the hills and made sure to aim in the direction of the hills so bullets would land in safe areas.

But more than that. Yesterday I wanted to view the school where I went when I lived on a cotton farm with family. I expected major changes. It is the same place I remembered. I then hunted for the school that was outside the city limits of Roseville, Ca and saw that school. I wondered if the lot dad bought was developed. Some of it might be. Most is still open land.

The cotton farm was several hundred miles and in the same county I was born in.

Down on the cotton farm, my cousin and I were boys and walking someplace when we heard a bullet go by our ears. Then we heard the gunshot. Talk about two scared boys.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-25-2013, 10:01 AM
Down on the cotton farm, my cousin and I were boys and walking someplace when we heard a bullet go by our ears. Then we heard the gunshot. Talk about two scared boys.

Very likely was a city slicker out shooting at snipes, ;)...-Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-25-2013, 06:52 PM
Very likely was a city slicker out shooting at snipes, ;)...-Tyr

I was standing on a wooden bridge one Saturday afternoon back in the early 80's. Suddenly I hear the whiz of at least three bullets fly by. Hearing the sound of a 22 caliber rifle in the distance I looked downstream behind me and saw two looked to be teenagers about 6 or 7 hundred yards away , still pointing the rifle directly at me. Bang another bullet whizzed by. I got the hell back to the other side and got on my motorcycle then raced down there . Took me about 5 or 6 minutes. The boys were gone and had to be in the house not 60 feet away from the riverbank where they had been firing from.
I went to city police department, told my story and the damn lazy cops asked me who else could verify my story!! I stated I was by myself. They then said even if we find them it would be their word against yours and there is two of them.
Bullshit I told both cops at city hall. Why not question them , see if they admit it?
They told me to leave and stop pestering them.
Never did find out the kids that shot at me and no kids lived in that home at that time but may have been visitors there.
I was a bit wary for a few months after that. I think it was older teens I saw, maybe 18/19. And maybe relatives of an enemy of mine. I had a lot of enemies back then from my working as a bouncer.
I damn sure didn't park my motorcycle and wander out on that bridge again even if it was well inside city limits.
I've long held that I was being shot at deliberately. -Tyr