PDA

View Full Version : Puerto Rican Teen Refuses To Pledge Allegiance To The American Flag

Marcus Aurelius
04-24-2013, 03:04 PM
http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2013/04/24/puerto-rican-teen-refuses-to-pledge-allegiance-to-american-flag/#ixzz2RPAJn4ak?test=latestnews

Enidris Siurano Rodríguez, a sophomore at Damascus High School in Montgomery County in Maryland, has protested U.S. policy on Puerto Rico since she was in seventh grade by silently sitting during the daily Pledge of Allegiance.

"I do not agree with the way the United States treats Puerto Rico... I think Puerto Rico has an undemocratic situation, I dislike the idea that a government so far [from the island] tells us what we can and cannot do,” she told the leading Puerto Rican daily newspaper, El Nuevo Día.

First, she certainly should not be forced to recite the pledge or stand for it.

However, I think she might want to research what the people of Puerto Rico, at least the ones actually there, want.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/05/politics/puerto-rico-statehood

Last month's statehood referendum in Puerto Rico was nonbinding, but it was the first time such a measure garnered a majority of votes; 61% of voters who cast ballots on that question said they supported the island commonwealth becoming a U.S. state.

aboutime
04-24-2013, 03:50 PM
http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2013/04/24/puerto-rican-teen-refuses-to-pledge-allegiance-to-american-flag/#ixzz2RPAJn4ak?test=latestnews

First, she certainly should not be forced to recite the pledge or stand for it.

However, I think she might want to research what the people of Puerto Rico, at least the ones actually there, want.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/05/politics/puerto-rico-statehood

Nobody should force her to do anything she doesn't want. But...we do have the right, as citizens to refuse to allow her to
benefit from any FREEBIES she may be planning on taking advantage of...if, and when she ever grows up, and learns.
She is an outcast, troublemaker, and Anti-American Liberally minded, IDIOT.

Marcus Aurelius
04-24-2013, 03:52 PM
Nobody should force her to do anything she doesn't want. But...we do have the right, as citizens to refuse to allow her to
benefit from any FREEBIES she may be planning on taking advantage of...if, and when she ever grows up, and learns.
She is an outcast, troublemaker, and Anti-American Liberally minded, IDIOT.

I disagree. I think she's just a misguided, and somewhat uninformed teen.

aboutime
04-24-2013, 03:56 PM
I disagree. I think she's just a misguided, and somewhat uninformed teen.

Marcus. Okay. I'll accept that. And I must also add. The very same things could have been said about Barrack H. Obama when he was a teen. And the difference is. He never grew up.

Kathianne
04-24-2013, 03:56 PM
I haven't had any middle school students refuse to stand for the pledge, though there are a few that will not place hand over heart or recite. That is their right, they are respectful enough to stand.

High school? There are a few that refuse to stand, indeed they put their heads down or yawn throughout. I've seen teachers give dean referrals for 'disrespect,' not for sitting or for putting head down, but for being disruptive.

Marcus Aurelius
04-24-2013, 04:00 PM
I haven't had any middle school students refuse to stand for the pledge, though there are a few that will not place hand over heart or recite. That is their right, they are respectful enough to stand.

High school? There are a few that refuse to stand, indeed they put their heads down or yawn throughout. I've seen teachers give dean referrals for 'disrespect,' not for sitting or for putting head down, but for being disruptive.

Like I said, my main issue here is not any respect or lack there of, but her apparent lack of knowledge about what the majority of people of Puerto Rico want. If it's such an 'undemocratic situation, I dislike the idea that a government so far [from the island] tells us what we can and cannot do' then why do so many want more of it?