PDA

View Full Version : Homeland Security and Ammo

Kathianne
04-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Hmmm:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/25/reps-challenge-dhs-ammo-buys-say-agency-using-1000-more-rounds-per-person-than/

Reps challenge DHS ammo buys, say agency using 1,000 more rounds per person than Army Published April 25, 2013

<article class="article-text"> Republican Rep. Jason Chaffetz said Thursday that the Department of Homeland Security is using roughly 1,000 rounds of ammunition more per person than the U.S. Army, as he and other lawmakers sharply questioned DHS officials on their "massive" bullet buys.

"It is entirely ... inexplicable why the Department of Homeland Security needs so much ammunition," Chaffetz, R-Utah, said at a hearing.

The hearing itself was unusual, as questions about the department's ammunition purchases until recently had bubbled largely under the radar -- on blogs and in the occasional news article. But as the Department of Homeland Security found itself publicly defending the purchases, lawmakers gradually showed more interest in the issue.

Democratic Rep. John Tierney, D-Mass., at the opening of the hearing, ridiculed the concerns as "conspiracy theories" which have "no place" in the committee room.

But Republicans said the purchases raise "serious" questions about waste and accountability.

Chaffetz, who chairs one of the House oversight subcommittees holding the hearing Thursday, revealed that the department currently has more than 260 million rounds in stock. He said the department bought more than 103 million rounds in 2012 and used 116 million that same year -- among roughly 70,000 agents.

Comparing that with the small-arms purchases procured by the U.S. Army, he said the DHS is churning through between 1,300 and 1,600 rounds per officer, while the U.S. Army goes through roughly 350 rounds per soldier.
He noted that is "roughly 1,000 rounds more per person."

"Their officers use what seems to be an exorbitant amount of ammunition," he said.

Nick Nayak, chief procurement officer for the Department of Homeland Security, did not challenge Chaffetz's numbers.

However, Nayak sought to counter what he described as several misconceptions about the bullet buys.

Despite reports that the department was trying to buy up to 1.6 billion rounds over five years, he said that is not true. He later clarified that the number is closer to 750 million.

He said the department, on average, buys roughly 100 million rounds per year.

He also said claims that the department is stockpiling ammo are "simply not true." Further, he countered claims that the purchases are helping create broader ammunition shortages in the U.S.

The department has long said it needs the bullets for agents in training and on duty, and buys in bulk to save money.

While Democrats likened concerns about the purchases to conspiracy theories, Republicans raised concern about the sheer cost of the ammunition.

"This is not about conspiracy theories, this is about good government," Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, said.

Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., who chairs the full Oversight and Government Reform Committee, said he suspects rounds are being stockpiled, and then either "disposed of," passed to non-federal agencies, or shot "indiscriminately."

If that is the case, he said, "then shame on you."

</article>

hjmick
04-25-2013, 09:28 PM
DHS can say what they want, all I hear are lies...

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-25-2013, 09:37 PM
DHS can say what they want, all I hear are lies...

And that is because they louts are lying! Obama is up to no good ..
Watch all hell break loose if he gets the House and Senate in 2014.
I predict that his actions after that(getting firm control of Congress) will cause a civil war...--Tyr

Kathianne
04-30-2013, 05:45 AM
http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2013/04/29/gao-now-investigating-dhs-ammo-purchases

GAO Now Investigating DHS Ammo Purchases By Elizabeth Flock (http://www.usnews.com/topics/author/elizabeth_flock)

April 29, 2013

The Government Accountability Office tells Whispers it is now investigating large ammunition purchases (http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2013/03/22/dhs-denies-massive-ammunition-purchase) made by the Department of Homeland Security. Chuck Young, a spokesman for GAO, says the investigation of the purchases is "just getting underway."

[MORE: DHS Denies Ammo Purchases Aimed at Civilians (http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2013/04/25/dhs-denies-ammo-purchases-aimed-at-civilians)]

The congressional investigative agency is jumping into the fray just as legislation was introduced in both the Senate and the House to restrict the purchase of ammo by some government agencies (except the Department of Defense). The AMMO Act, (http://www.inhofe.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/inhofe-lucas-introduce-bill-limiting-federal-agencies-from-stockpiling-ammunition) introduced Friday, would prevent agencies from buying more ammunition if "stockpiles" are greater than what they were in previous administrations.

Donelle Harder, a spokeswoman for Sen. Jim Inhofe, R-Okla., who introduced the legislation in the Senate, tells Whispers the bill would also require GAO to share the findings of its report on DHS purchases with Congress.

taft2012
04-30-2013, 06:19 AM
I'm not one to pass up an opportunity to take a swing at the Obama administration, but if they are actually using this ammo for training, I don't see any problem.

Robert A Whit
04-30-2013, 10:46 AM
I'm not one to pass up an opportunity to take a swing at the Obama administration, but if they are actually using this ammo for training, I don't see any problem.

I am going solely on memory and easily can be incorrect but I believe on the news it was reported to be around 3,400 rounds per person and that seems extreme to me given the deficit.

Marcus Aurelius
04-30-2013, 11:04 AM
I am going solely on memory and easily can be incorrect but I believe on the news it was reported to be around 3,400 rounds per person and that seems extreme to me given the deficit.

You usually are.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ralphbenko/2013/03/11/1-6-billion-rounds-of-ammo-for-homeland-security-its-time-for-a-national-conversation/
1.6 Billion Rounds Of Ammo For Homeland Security? It's Time For A National Conversation

1.6 billion rounds, spread over 70,000 agents in Homeland Security, is 21,428 rounds per person.

At the height of the Iraq War the Army was expending less than 6 million rounds a month. Therefore 1.6 billion rounds would be enough to sustain a hot war for 20+ years. In America.

Robert A Whit
04-30-2013, 11:26 AM
You usually are.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ralphbenko/2013/03/11/1-6-billion-rounds-of-ammo-for-homeland-security-its-time-for-a-national-conversation/
1.6 Billion Rounds Of Ammo For Homeland Security? It's Time For A National Conversation

1.6 billion rounds, spread over 70,000 agents in Homeland Security, is 21,428 rounds per person.

At the height of the Iraq War the Army was expending less than 6 million rounds a month. Therefore 1.6 billion rounds would be enough to sustain a hot war for 20+ years. In America.

Since I don't approve 3,400 rounds per person, I certainly can't accept this far worse account.

However my discontent is, i have no control at all over the department of homeland security and their purchases of ammo.

revelarts
05-03-2013, 06:16 AM

You don't need to buy hollow points to train with.
At the very least they are doing this to keep ammo off the market from the public.

taft2012
05-03-2013, 06:35 AM
You don't need to buy hollow points to train with.
At the very least they are doing this to keep ammo off the market from the public.

I don't claim to know what's going on here. I do know we use hollow point ammunition in our training.

And additionally I do understand that the Obama Administration is virtually mentally retarded on matters of capitalism and the free market, but I don't think to the extent that they believe they can entirely eliminate access to ammunition by buying it all up. That will merely create an opening for new producers to open and manufacture ammunition, which the government will never be able completely gobble up.

A full 8 hour day of target shooting/training could easily eat up 1000 rounds. If every agent did two days of that training per month, that would be 24,000 rounds per agent each year.

I'm not seeing a problem here.

Dilloduck
05-03-2013, 07:09 AM
I do. DHS is Obama's army of civilians.

Missileman
05-03-2013, 07:36 AM
I don't claim to know what's going on here. I do know we use hollow point ammunition in our training.

And additionally I do understand that the Obama Administration is virtually mentally retarded on matters of capitalism and the free market, but I don't think to the extent that they believe they can entirely eliminate access to ammunition by buying it all up. That will merely create an opening for new producers to open and manufacture ammunition, which the government will never be able completely gobble up.

A full 8 hour day of target shooting/training could easily eat up 1000 rounds. If every agent did two days of that training per month, that would be 24,000 rounds per agent each year.

I'm not seeing a problem here.

There can be no rational justification for 24,000 rounds a year... it's wasteful, period.

aboutime
05-03-2013, 02:32 PM
I do. DHS is Obama's army of civilians.

And they all look like this...4933. DHS is just a front.