PDA

View Full Version : CA Bill Proposes To Allow Legal Immigrants To Serve On Juries

Kathianne
04-25-2013, 09:55 PM
Who thinks this is a good idea?

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_XGR_IMMIGRANT_JURORS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-04-25-19-13-05

SACRAMENTO, California (AP) -- The California Assembly passed a bill on Thursday that would make the state the first in the nation to allow non-citizens who are in the country legally to serve on jury duty.

Assemblyman Bob Wieckowski, D-Fremont, said his bill, AB1401, would help California widen the pool of prospective jurors and help integrate immigrants into the community.

It does not change other criteria for being eligible to serve on a jury, such as being at least 18, living in the county that is making the summons, and being proficient in English.

The bill passed 45-25 largely on a party-line vote in the Democratic-controlled Assembly and will move on to the Senate. One Democrat - Assemblyman Adam Gray, of Merced - voted no, while some other Democrats did not vote.

Democratic lawmakers who voted for the bill said there is no correlation between being a citizen and a juror, and they noted that there is no citizenship requirement to be an attorney or a judge. Republican lawmakers who opposed Wieckowski's bill called it misguided and premature.

Marcus Aurelius
04-25-2013, 10:03 PM
if you are a naturalized citizen that's one thing. A non-citizen doesn't, IMHO, have the right or duty to server on a jury.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-25-2013, 10:46 PM

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_XGR_IMMIGRANT_JURORS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-04-25-19-13-05

It is pure insanity. What else is new?
We've been on this runaway train ever since the first day the traitor was sworn in!!! Cali been messed up for decades just now taking on the water after hitting the iceberg.--Tyr

taft2012
04-26-2013, 04:55 AM
I can see it now. My jury of my peers would consist of 5 Dream Acted Mexicans, 4 Chinese exchange students, and 3 people from India here on work visas.

DragonStryk72
04-26-2013, 05:28 AM

Eh, it's not a bad idea. I mean, these are legal immigrants, so I don't see an issue here. They still have to be proficient in English, so it's not like it's going to change anything as far as court cases go.

Kathianne
04-26-2013, 05:38 AM
Eh, it's not a bad idea. I mean, these are legal immigrants, so I don't see an issue here. They still have to be proficient in English, so it's not like it's going to change anything as far as court cases go.

Requirement to serve on jury? Oh yea, registered to vote. Requirement of franchise? Oh yea, being citizen.

revelarts
04-26-2013, 06:26 AM
the court going to pay for translators too?

Let them become naturalized 1st.
the premise is crazy to me , there are not ENOUGH people in CA? really?
I don't by it. It's sounds like a thin veil of an excuse for something else.

DragonStryk72
04-26-2013, 10:28 AM
the court going to pay for translators too?

Let them become naturalized 1st.
the premise is crazy to me , there are not ENOUGH people in CA? really?
I don't by it. It's sounds like a thin veil of an excuse for something else.

Nope, because they have to be proficient in English.

DragonStryk72
04-26-2013, 10:34 AM
Requirement to serve on jury? Oh yea, registered to vote. Requirement of franchise? Oh yea, being citizen.

Why do people think we're a franchise? We aren't. We're a nation that, supposedly, believes that all people are created equal, endowed with certain basic rights. Not citizens, people.

I also don't get the point in all the various levels of citizenship. I mean, you're a citizen or you're not, let's just move on with our lives.

jimnyc
04-26-2013, 11:23 AM
if you are a naturalized citizen that's one thing. A non-citizen doesn't, IMHO, have the right or duty to server on a jury.

I might have to go with Marcus on this one. What if someone is here legally, but has no intent on staying here and is solely here for work/business? I want people deciding cases that have America's best interests at heart, and I don't think non-citizens fit that bill. Once naturalized, I have no issue, as I think they plan on staying.

jimnyc
04-26-2013, 11:26 AM
Why do people think we're a franchise? We aren't. We're a nation that, supposedly, believes that all people are created equal, endowed with certain basic rights. Not citizens, people.

I also don't get the point in all the various levels of citizenship. I mean, you're a citizen or you're not, let's just move on with our lives.

Yes, certain BASIC rights, not rights that a citizen would have. Furthermore, that's from the UNITED STATES declaration of independence. And while yes, it does speak of all people, I'm pretty confident that only American citizens really follow that.

aboutime
04-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Great idea in California! Based on the population there, and the present court systems.

Allowing Illegals to serve on Juries would be the Constitutional thing to do. A JURY OF THEIR 'PEERS', all ILLEGALS would work.

Kathianne
04-26-2013, 01:54 PM

There's not 'levels' of citizenship. No difference in rights and responsibilities between natural and naturalized citizens. The difference is where you are born and what choices you make regarding taking on citizenship or not. If you have a green card, 'permanent residency, non-citizen' you have all the rights, responsibilities, as citizens, with the EXCEPTIONS of voting and serving on juries.

aboutime
04-26-2013, 02:07 PM
There used to be a time when people from around the world desperately tried to come to America, to become citizens and enjoy the Freedoms, Rights, and Liberties they were DENIED in their original country.

Coming to America means something to those who never enjoyed those Freedoms, Rights, and Liberties. Which makes WE, as citizens different from people around the world who will do ALMOST ANYTHING to become an American.

If we lose that drive, feeling, need, or desire to become a Citizen of this nation, and simply HAND IT OUT to everyone who demands it. That opens the door to those who HATE US, and wish to DESTROY US.

More like CUTTING OFF OUR NOSE TO SPITE OUR FACE.

Anyone who isn't proud to be an American Citizen...the Honorable way. DESERVES NOTHING. Much like Benjamin Franklin said so many years ago.
Who among us is willing to GET RID OF THAT?