PDA

View Full Version : If someone would like to talk about actual lefties...

fj1200
04-26-2013, 06:05 AM
Because here's one.

Why we can't grow our economy forever (http://theweek.com/article/index/240292/why-we-cant-grow-our-economy-forever)

Politicians, newscasters, and pundits are united around an idea I find wacky: That we can grow the economy forever on our finite planet.We have 7 billion people on Earth, and almost 1 billion of us go to bed hungry each night. 2.7 billion of us live on less than $2 a day, and there's 394 ppm of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
(http://www.learnvest.com/2013/02/why-i-think-perpetual-economic-growth-is-impossible/#_edn4)
We would need one and a half Earths to keep producing, consuming and wasting at the rate we do now. Instead of a pursuing an economy chasing after more, why not pursue an economy asking for enough? That's what I describe in the book I co-wrote with Dan O'Neill, "Enough Is Enough: Building a Sustainable Economy in a World of Finite Resources."
The economy of "enough" is called a steady-state economy: A steady number of people consume a stable amount of energy and materials, all within ecological bounds. The goal of this kind of economy, rather than increasing consumption, is to improve quality of life.
Do you want more stuff or a better life? Our current economy aims for the first. A steady-state economy aims for the second.

tailfins
04-26-2013, 07:20 AM
Dick Morris used the term Luddite.

Marcus Aurelius
04-26-2013, 07:27 AM
I wonder how he intends this to happen...

A steady number of people...

fj1200
04-26-2013, 07:30 AM

2. Stabilize the population through compassionate and non-coercive means.

Of course. ;)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-26-2013, 08:13 AM

My guess is by some really compassionate ways of eliminating people. Leftists have those ways all figured out after over 6 decades of practicing on over a 100 million people.
So now they will want to move up to the big leagues and deal in a billion souls dispatched. All for the betterment of mother earth, don't ya know?

aboutime
04-26-2013, 02:55 PM
All of that, in a nutshell for me is...EXCUSES. Nothing but excuses given to anyone who bows down to be controlled by government. A government that decides WHO Succeeds, and WHO Doesn't Succeed.

It's more like someone authorizing, and condoning the ABOLISHMENT of what was once called 'The American Dream'.
Sad thing is. Far too many present day Americans have been pacified into believing anyone who Succeeds...most certainly MUST have cheated, or stolen their wealth, or riches.

Why else would a Congress, and President insist that the people Become Totally Dependent upon a BROKE Government???

logroller
04-26-2013, 03:17 PM
The first paragraph was enough for me.:2up:

Robert A Whit
04-26-2013, 07:55 PM
Because here's one.
Why we can't grow our economy forever (http://theweek.com/article/index/240292/why-we-cant-grow-our-economy-forever)

I wonder if the book is in print in China and India?

Most of the world produces no more than 0.57 tons per $1,000 GDP with Sweden the lowest at 0.23 tons /$1,000 yet both China and India far out produce CO2 than the rest do. China at 3.14 followed by India's 1.88 tons, let's hope the book is popular in those two areas. (source of data - Physics for Future Presidents)