PDA

View Full Version : New York

jimnyc
04-26-2013, 01:00 PM
18 years here now. Went from Queens to Bronxville to Westchester, while most of the way working in NYC. I had my share of trouble in NYC when younger, the drugs, the hanging out in parks, drinking and just enjoying the city. Then it became the place I worked, and lived. While I believe the politics in NY are for the birds, I'm secretly proud to call myself a New Yorker, while I'll always be a Jersey guy in my heart. But NY is a tough place as they say. It's fast, it doesn't have a lot of mercy, there's a lot of crime, but ten fold that in cool people. We got the food and the arts. Man, if we can only get some politicians here! :)

So I've been hearing this song, at Yankee Stadium, and all over the radio. Never knew who sang it, just knew that it kinda got me pumped to hear it. Makes you remember the good people and things here in NY. Any of you 'really' watch the New Yorkers after 9/11? I'm not saying other places couldn't do the same, but that was the best place on Earth at the time. I don't think any army could have defeated the City. I dunno, I guess I'm being a little nostalgic about the City and State that I rag on so much.

The song is not surprisingly just called "New York", by Alicia Keys.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6PHOeXIPNZE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Uuuu, New York
Uuuu, New York

Grew up in a town
That is famous as a place of movie scenes,
Noise is always loud
There are sirenes all around,
And the streets are mean
If I can make it here,
I could make it anywere,
That's what they say
Seeing my face in lights,
Or my name in marquees found down Broadway

Even if ain't all it seems
I got a pocket full of dreams

Baby I'm from New York!
Concrete jungle where dreams are made of,
There's nothing you can't do
Now you're in New York!
These streets will make you feel brand new,
Big lights will inspire you,
Hear it for New York!
(New York, New York, New York)

On the avenue,
There ain't never a curfew, ladies work so hard
Such a merlting pot
On the corner selling rock
Preachers pray to God,
Hail a gipsy cab,
Takes me down from Harlem to the Brooklyn Bridge

Someone sleeps tonight
With a hunger for more then an empty fridge...

I'm going to make it by any means,
I got a pocket full of dreams,

Baby I'm from New York!
Now you're in New York!
Hear it for New York!
(New York, New York, New York)

One hand in the air for the big city,
Street lights, big dreams, all looking pretty
No place in the world that can compare
Put your lighters in the air,
Everybody say Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!

New York,
Now you're in New York!
Hear īt for New York!

tailfins
04-26-2013, 01:19 PM
18 years here now. Went from Queens to Bronxville to Westchester, while most of the way working in NYC. I had my share of trouble in NYC when younger, the drugs, the hanging out in parks, drinking and just enjoying the city. Then it became the place I worked, and lived. While I believe the politics in NY are for the birds, I'm secretly proud to call myself a New Yorker, while I'll always be a Jersey guy in my heart. But NY is a tough place as they say. It's fast, it doesn't have a lot of mercy, there's a lot of crime, but ten fold that in cool people. We got the food and the arts. Man, if we can only get some politicians here! :)

So I've been hearing this song, at Yankee Stadium, and all over the radio. Never knew who sang it, just knew that it kinda got me pumped to hear it. Makes you remember the good people and things here in NY. Any of you 'really' watch the New Yorkers after 9/11? I'm not saying other places couldn't do the same, but that was the best place on Earth at the time. I don't think any army could have defeated the City. I dunno, I guess I'm being a little nostalgic about the City and State that I rag on so much.

The song is not surprisingly just called "New York", by Alicia Keys.

We tried living in an urban part of Boston thinking my wife would like living in a Brazilian neighborhood. Urban life gets on our nerves. Forget about any place where parking is a struggle. Money also evaporates like steam.

jimnyc
04-26-2013, 01:28 PM
We tried living in an urban part of Boston thinking my wife would like living in a Brazilian neighborhood. Urban life gets on our nerves. Forget about any place where parking is a struggle. Money also evaporates like steam.

That's the main reason that we went from Queens further North. We paid $1400 for a one bedroom in Forest Hills, and another $300 a month to park our car in the underground garage. And yep, it's expensive, but most of the time the cost of living and wages line up. I do love that about this area, a 25-40 mile radius will encompass one of the busiest cities on Earth, country life, and most in between.

tailfins
04-26-2013, 01:34 PM
That's the main reason that we went from Queens further North. We paid $1400 for a one bedroom in Forest Hills, and another $300 a month to park our car in the underground garage. And yep, it's expensive, but most of the time the cost of living and wages line up. I do love that about this area, a 25-40 mile radius will encompass one of the busiest cities on Earth, country life, and most in between.

Being a numbers person, Texas is starting to look pretty good. The pay rates in DFW are 80% of Boston's with a 60% cost of living. We are considering making that move. Leaving Mass. for NH was a really good deal. One cool thing is that each work from home day from NH even for a Mass. employer is exempt from state income tax. Mass. taxes you on where the labor was performed.

jimnyc
04-26-2013, 01:38 PM
Being a numbers person, Texas is starting to look pretty good. The pay rates in DFW are 80% of Boston's with a 60% cost of living. We are considering making that move. Leaving Mass. for NH was a really good deal. One cool thing is that each work from home day from NH even for a Mass. employer is exempt from state income tax. Mass. taxes you on where the labor was performed.

We were thinking somewhere in Florida, and my wife likes the Arizona area for some reason. All I can think of when I hear that is HOT.