PDA

View Full Version : Egypt needs a loan

fj1200
04-26-2013, 01:53 PM
Draining cash, Egypt on $30 billion search for aid (http://news.yahoo.com/draining-cash-egypt-30-billion-113059453.html)

CAIRO (AP) -- During a meeting in a Black Sea resort city, Egypt's president and members of hisgovernment turned to Russian President Vladimir Putin and asked for a sizable loan, according to a Putin aide.Egypt's Mohammed Morsi appealed to Moscow and Cairo's past ties, recalling how the former Soviet Union stepped in to finance the building of the Aswan High Dam in the 1950s after the United States abruptly withdrew from the project, according to Russian media.
Still, the Russians' response seemed rather equivocal: We'll talk later.
Egypt has been knocking on doors around the region seeking billions of dollars in loans, bond purchases and grants, trying to fill rapidly draining coffers so it can keep power stations running and bakeries churning out cheap bread for the country's millions of poor.
The drive appears to have accelerated ahead of the summer, when the country's fragile electricity network often breaks down under increased energy use and when officials have predicted a drop in wheat supplies.

What do you think Jafar? They're in trouble.

jimnyc
04-26-2013, 02:07 PM
I don't mind the people of Egypt, but don't trust the Brotherhood as far as I can toss them. Other than what we are obligated to under past treaties, I wouldn't give them another dime at this point.

aboutime
04-26-2013, 02:22 PM
Draining cash, Egypt on $30 billion search for aid (http://news.yahoo.com/draining-cash-egypt-30-billion-113059453.html)

What do you think Jafar? They're in trouble.

The brotherhood is already getting F-15's from us, with a tidy OBAMA-LIKE loan.
They will once again BLACKMAIL us, or anyone else who fears they might not LIKE US.
Don't ask Jafar. He's been writing checks he can't cash, and pretending we are all Friends.

jafar00
04-26-2013, 03:41 PM
I don't mind the people of Egypt, but don't trust the Brotherhood as far as I can toss them. Other than what we are obligated to under past treaties, I wouldn't give them another dime at this point.

Morsi has been a failure of a President. I agree they should get money but give it to the charities who have been doing good on limited resources already.

fj1200
04-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Morsi has been a failure of a President. I agree they should get money but give it to the charities who have been doing good on limited resources already.

They need long-term change.

Egypt's need for funds is dire. After the 2011 uprising that toppled Mubarak, foreign investment in Egypt shriveled and tourism — a top revenue source — took a heavy blow. Neither has recovered since, with investors and tourists still scared away by the country's unrest and political uncertainty.

Even before they were just covering up there problems but now everything is exposed.

jimnyc
04-26-2013, 03:44 PM

If there were an ironclad way of ensuring money goes directly to the people, perhaps. But for far too long I have watched American money go to various countries only to have dictators and the like live it up in style while the people suffered. And while I like Egypt, I don't trust the money going anywhere near Morsi or anyone in the MB hands right now.

aboutime
04-26-2013, 03:48 PM

jafar. You mean the charities that bought ammo, weapons, tanks, fuel, missiles? While the people OUR MONEY was supposed to be for, never saw a hungry mouth, or child?

That kind of Charity???

SassyLady
04-26-2013, 08:36 PM
I don't care if we have promised to send aid for eternity, this country has also promised to take care of its citizens. As long as we keep sending money overseas we will have issues like sequestration and skyrocketing taxes. I say cut them all off and let the chips land where they may.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-26-2013, 09:46 PM

Tell them to ask Allah for it. After all they wrote Allah in as their primary authority in their damn Constitution.
Beg for money and see how much Allah tosses them!
They are --real--Islamists, right Jafar??-Tyr

Syrenn
04-26-2013, 09:58 PM

i feel the same way.

i would not give them another cent.

jafar00
04-27-2013, 02:15 AM
If there were an ironclad way of ensuring money goes directly to the people, perhaps. But for far too long I have watched American money go to various countries only to have dictators and the like live it up in style while the people suffered. And while I like Egypt, I don't trust the money going anywhere near Morsi or anyone in the MB hands right now.

That's what happened with Mubarak. His personal fortune was reported to be $70b. He squandered Egypt's wealth as many of those before him.

What Egypt really needs is a leader who rules justly and for the benefit of Egypt and Egyptians. The current crop including all of the opposition who have been organising weekly riots since they lost the elections are all a bunch of self serving, corrupt fools.

logroller
04-27-2013, 02:29 AM
Tell them to ask Allah for it. After all they wrote Allah in as their primary authority in their damn Constitution.
Beg for money and see how much Allah tosses them!
They are --real--Islamists, right Jafar??-Tyr
Seriously, would you prefer they got the money from iran or saudi arabia? Do you really think that, were they to go into hock with a fundamentally Islamic nation, they'd be better off? Would we? The world?
Im not implying we should rush to their aid, I just know that loans come with conditions and whoever does give them the loan gets influence in addition to interest.

logroller
04-27-2013, 02:34 AM
That's what happened with Mubarak. His personal fortune was reported to be $70b. He squandered Egypt's wealth as many of those before him.

What Egypt really needs is a leader who rules justly and for the benefit of Egypt and Egyptians. The current crop including all of the opposition who have been organising weekly riots since they lost the elections are all a bunch of self serving, corrupt fools.
Sounds like politics as usual. ;)

jafar00
04-27-2013, 03:27 AM
Sounds like politics as usual. ;)

True. I have no idea who to vote for in the upcoming Australian election. All empty heads more interested in a popularity contest than doing what needs to be done for the benefit of Australians.

taft2012
04-27-2013, 06:54 AM
Other than what we are obligated to under past treaties, I wouldn't give them another dime at this point.

I don't know if we're obligated to send anything.

When Mao took over China, we didn't keep sending him the money and munitions we had been sending to Chiang Kai-Shek.

fj1200
04-27-2013, 07:22 AM

When Mao took over China, we didn't keep sending him the money and munitions we had been sending to Chiang Kai-Shek.

Were we also part of a treaty with Chiang Kai-Shek?

aboutime
04-27-2013, 07:23 AM
Seriously, would you prefer they got the money from iran or saudi arabia? Do you really think that, were they to go into hock with a fundamentally Islamic nation, they'd be better off? Would we? The world?
Im not implying we should rush to their aid, I just know that loans come with conditions and whoever does give them the loan gets influence in addition to interest.

thats the rub logroller. They ALREADY DO get money, and support from Iran and Saudi Arabia. The highest bidder's get to join in against the STUPID, DUMB, GULLIBLE Americans who think sending more money will eventually make them be loved.

It doesn't work that way. Those two nations are sworn Enemies. Just as most Middle Eastern nations have become.
But WE, represented (not really) by Obama, and Kerry are AFRAID to insult, offend, or GOD FORBID...speak the TRUTH. Because it might hurt their HATE FILLED feelings.
If we continue to APPEASE THEM as you suggest. When does it stop? Before they attack us again, or after????

fj1200
04-27-2013, 07:27 AM
Before they attack us again, or after????

Are we expecting Egypt to attack us?

aboutime
04-27-2013, 07:34 AM
Are we expecting Egypt to attack us?

fj. Stay just as dumb, and stupid as you are. If that is how you twisted what I said. I should call you jafar too!

fj1200
04-27-2013, 07:36 AM
fj. Stay just as dumb, and stupid as you are. If that is how you twisted what I said. I should call you jafar too!

How did I twist your words? I asked a clarifying question about Egypt because this thread is about Egypt.

aboutime
04-27-2013, 07:37 AM
How did I twist your words? I asked a clarifying question about Egypt because this thread is about Egypt.

You win. You proved how stupid you are. End.

fj1200
04-27-2013, 07:41 AM
You win. You proved how stupid you are. End.

Yes I do. Questions are the bane of your existence.

aboutime
04-27-2013, 07:45 AM
Yes I do. Questions are the bane of your existence.

jimnyc
04-27-2013, 11:18 AM

Obligated only if we are to take a peace treaty seriously, and whether or not we think they will end peace if we don't live up to our end of the bargain. Obviously this deal wasn't made with the Brotherhood in mind though.

logroller
04-27-2013, 06:48 PM
thats the rub logroller. They ALREADY DO get money, and support from Iran and Saudi Arabia. The highest bidder's get to join in against the STUPID, DUMB, GULLIBLE Americans who think sending more money will eventually make them be loved.

It doesn't work that way. Those two nations are sworn Enemies. Just as most Middle Eastern nations have become.
But WE, represented (not really) by Obama, and Kerry are AFRAID to insult, offend, or GOD FORBID...speak the TRUTH. Because it might hurt their HATE FILLED feelings.
If we continue to APPEASE THEM as you suggest. When does it stop? Before they attack us again, or after????
Where did i suggest we appease them? I clearly stipulated We should not rush to their aid. No offense dude, but you dont know squat about politics and international relations. Have you ever been subject to public comment? Been faced with a decision where doing nothing gets you ridiculed, doing something gets you ridiculed, doing anythjng gets you ridiculed? Here you call people stupid dumb and gullible and then ridicule others as hate-filled. Get a grip.

aboutime
04-27-2013, 08:01 PM
Where did i suggest we appease them? I clearly stipulated We should not rush to their aid. No offense dude, but you dont know squat about politics and international relations. Have you ever been subject to public comment? Been faced with a decision where doing nothing gets you ridiculed, doing something gets you ridiculed, doing anythjng gets you ridiculed? Here you call people stupid dumb and gullible and then ridicule others as hate-filled. Get a grip.

Matter of fact logroller. Yes. Thirty years of it, from the inside where disclosing anything would have meant my entire career, and no retirement for my years of service. And sadly. Due to being in uniform, from Vietnam years until Bosnia years. I was subject to comment from many directions. Which is NOW why I enjoy SPEAKING MY MIND...as I want. Not as others tell me I can.

jafar00
04-27-2013, 08:54 PM
When does it stop? Before they attack us again, or after????

When was the first time the Egyptians attacked you?

PS. you are still on ignore, I just saw your quote from fj1200's post

fj1200
04-27-2013, 10:29 PM
When was the first time the Egyptians attacked you?

PS. you are still on ignore, I just saw your quote from fj1200's post

I'll quote him so you can see his answer then. :cool:

logroller
04-28-2013, 03:26 AM
Matter of fact logroller. Yes. Thirty years of it, from the inside where disclosing anything would have meant my entire career, and no retirement for my years of service. And sadly. Due to being in uniform, from Vietnam years until Bosnia years. I was subject to comment from many directions. Which is NOW why I enjoy SPEAKING MY MIND...as I want. Not as others tell me I can.
i see, you feel content in maligning those who make the decisions that subjected you to ridicule...that is, now that your check from uncle sam isn't at risk. Tell me, why you would be censured if your ideas were meritorious? That's a big if, of course, and seeing here what speaking your mind entails, its no wonder you were censored.