PDA

View Full Version : Boys report card

jimnyc
04-26-2013, 03:06 PM
It seems like the tutoring and staying after school has helped my son. We had a deal this marking period. He wasn't passing Chinese, so I told him if he improved his grade to an 80, from a 60, that I would get him the XBox. Then the second deal was that he would get an additional game with it, if he got an 85 in math. Well, he fell a tad shy on both, with a 76 in Chinese and an 84 in math. I gotta do something for him for his efforts though, to show him that his hard work pays off. Should I hold up my whole end - or we were thinking about perhaps a MUCH larger desk for his room where he can do his homework, and room enough for the desktop and laptop computers that he embezzled from me.

<tbody>
Course
MP1
MP2
MP3
MP4
MT
FE
FNL
CRS.
GRD.
ABS.
Cum.
Abs.
Tardy.
Cum.
Tardy.
Staff

English 7
<tbody>

Positive, cooperative and enthusiastic about learning.

Conscientious student.

Missing some homework.

</tbody>

--
--
--
--
0/1
0/0
L***os

Chinese 7
<tbody>

Needs to come for help regularly.

</tbody>

--
--
--
--
2/8
0/0
Ms. S****ano

Math 7 Accelerated
<tbody>

Missing some homework.

</tbody>

--
--
--
--
0/1
0/0
Gl***on

Science 7
<tbody>

Needs to focus more in class.

</tbody>

--
--
--
--
0/1
0/0
G***da

Social Studies 7
<tbody>

Active class participant.

Missing some homework.

</tbody>

--
--
--
--
0/2
0/0
V***

Physical Education 7b
--
--
--
--
1/5
1/1
Me**y

Art 7
<tbody>

Pleasure to have in class.

</tbody>

--
--
--
--
--
--
1/1
1/1
Re**h

Ex Music 7
<tbody>

Doing nicely.

</tbody>

--
--
--
--
1/5
0/0
de N*s

Health 7
--
--
--
--
--
0/2
0/0
***nan

Home And Career 7
--
--
--
--
--
--
0/4
0/0
**son

</tbody>

Marcus Aurelius
04-26-2013, 03:15 PM
I think you need to do something for him, but even though he was close, he didn't quite get there.

Maybe some compromise in reward, something that equates to the improvement and shows you value his efforts, even though he didn't quite get there?

Jeff
04-26-2013, 11:33 PM
Jim you know in my house a deal is a deal but I have to say if it was a deal I had made with my Boys I would have to reward there hard work , so I wouldnt cave 100% I would go with just the X box or the desk deal , yall know what he wants and/or would benefit him the most

CONGRATS MR. JORDAN
I am proud of ya Bud

Kathianne
04-27-2013, 12:37 AM
I think his report card shows good improvement over previous marking period, though some aren't up to the 1st marking period.

OK, I can be tough, I was on my own kids. I'd tell him how proud of his efforts, while conferring with him in comparing the 3 grading periods. I'd also point out that in a few classes there was the issue of 'missing homework.' I'd take the time to emphasize that 'even if' he had straight A's, but missing assignments, that is a problem. Not only will bosses expect you to do many stupid things, but in the near future, suddenly what is 'easy now,' may become difficult. Homework is not only an exercise for the current material, it's part of one's habits.

So, I think I would buy the game for the video system, promising that if 'all work' is handed in the final quarter and grades in math and Chinese improve, (no %), just improve-he'll get the system for the summer. One catch: He needs to work on both over the summer. Either with tutor or some software or online programs. You don't want him losing those gains over the summer!

logroller
04-27-2013, 01:14 AM
I'm with all the previous posters, of course you should praise his improvements, but a deal is a deal and success is never so sweet as when one knows the bitterness of failure-- reward him for not fulfilling the deal and he wont strive for success. If he thinks a larger desk or some other tool would help him do it, that's all well and good, but giving him an Xbox and a game would doubtfully help him improve and, most likely, it would distract him from his tasks. So in effect you'd be undermining both his concept of success and his capacity to succeed. That's a losing strategy. This is teachable moment. He tried and that's admirable so don't focus too much on the deal. Maybe talk with him about what steps he took to bring about those improvements, what else he could have done (ie not missing homework) -- get him to take ownership of his performance rather than focusing on the reward...that said, you could still parlay the deal, adding no missing homework assignments for the trifecta.

logroller
04-27-2013, 01:28 AM
I just wanted to emphasize a point on the desk-- don't offer it as a consolation prize-- treat it as a tool that you will give him to help him succeed. Stress success and that you are there to help him succeed.