PDA

View Full Version : Afghan Leader: Cash Deliveries by C.I.A.

revelarts
04-29-2013, 04:52 PM
so we "win" the war by paying warlords to fight? winning hearts and minds with cold CASH.
And don't forget we are paying the taliban not to fight (http://abcnews.go.com/WN/Afghanistan/united-states-military-funding-taliban-afghanistan/story?id=10980527) when we and our allies --the coalition of the willing-- can't win. More here (http://www.businessinsider.com/taliban-using-us-money-for-insurgency-2013-4), and here (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/nov/13/us-trucks-security-taliban)
And Pay the taliban to switch sides (http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/10/28/afghanistan.taliban.pay/).

Afghan Leader Acknowledges Cash Deliveries by C.I.A.
Quote:

<tbody>
KABUL, Afghanistan – President Hamid Karzai acknowledged on Monday that the Central Intelligence Agency has been dropping off bags of cash at his office for a decade, saying the money was used for “various purposes” and expressing gratitude to the United States for making the payments.
Related

Mr. Karzai described the sums delivered by the C.I.A. as a “small amount,” though he offered few other details. But former and current advisers of the Afghan leader have said the C.I.A. cash deliveries have totaled tens of millions of dollars over the past decade and have been used to pay off warlords, lawmakers and others whose support the Afghan leader depends upon.

The payments are not universally supported in the United States government. American diplomats and soldiers expressed dismay on Monday about the C.I.A.'s cash deliveries, which some said fueled corruption. They spoke privately because the C.I.A. effort is classified.

Others were not so restrained. “We’ve all suspected it,” said Representative Jason Chaffetz, Republican of Utah and a critic of the war effort in Afghanistan. “But for President Karzai to admit it out loud brings us into a bizarro world.”

Mr. Karzai’s comments, made at a news conference in Helsinki, Finland, where he is traveling, were not without precedent. When it emerged in 2010 that one of his top aides was taking bags of cash from Iran, Mr. Karzai readily confirmed those reports and expressed gratitude for the money. Iran cut off its payments last year after Afghanistan signed a strategic partnership deal with the United States over Tehran’s objections.

The C.I.A. money continues to flow, Mr. Karzai said on Monday. “Yes, the office of national security has been receiving support from the United States for the past 10 years,” he told reporters in response to a question. “Not a big amount. A small amount, which has been used for various purposes.” He said the money was paid monthly.

Afghan officials who described the payments before Monday’s comments from Mr. Karzai said the cash from the C.I.A. was basically used as a slush fund, similarly to the way the Iranian money was. Some went to pay supporters; some went to cover other expenses that officials would prefer to keep off the books, like sensitive diplomatic trips, officials have said.

After Mr. Karzai’s statement on Monday, the presidential palace in Kabul said in a statement that the C.I.A. cash “has been used for different purposes, such as in operations, assisting wounded Afghan soldiers and paying rent.” The statement continued, “The assistance has been very useful, and we are thankful to them for it.”

The C.I.A. payments open a window to an element of the war that has often gone unnoticed: the agency’s use of cash to clandestinely buy the loyalty of Afghans. The agency paid powerful warlords to fight against the Taliban during the 2001 invasion. It then continued paying Afghans to keep battling the Taliban and help track down the remnants of Al Qaeda. Mr. Karzai’s late brother, Ahmed Wali, was among those paid by the agency, for instance.

But the cash deliveries to Mr. Karzai’s office are of a different magnitude with a far wider impact, helping the palace finance the vast patronage networks that Mr. Karzai has used to build his power base. The payments appear to run directly counter to American efforts to clean up endemic corruption and encourage the Afghan government to be more responsive to the needs of its constituents.

“I thought we were trying to clean up waste, fraud and abuse in Afghanistan,” said Mr. Chaffetz, whose House subcommittee has investigated corruption in the country. “We have no credibility on this issue when we’re complicit ourselves. I’m sure it was more than a few hundreds dollars.”

In Afghanistan, reaction to reports of the payments ranged from conspiratorial to bemused. A former adviser to Mr. Karzai said the palace was rife with speculation that the details of the payments had been leaked to settle a bureaucratic or diplomatic score, either by Afghans or by American officials.

Outside official circles, some Afghans offered a lighter take. “They make it sound as if it was a charity money dashed by a spy agency,” wrote Sayed Salahuddin, an Afghan journalist, on Twitter, referring to the palace statement that money had been used to help wounded soldiers. “They must have ‘treated’ many people.”

Jawad Sukhanyar contributed reporting from Kabul.

</tbody>

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/30/wo...-cia.html?_r=0 (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/30/world/asia/karzai-acknowledges-cash-deliveries-by-cia.html?_r=0)

I'm sure someone will explain to me that's war is hell or something and why we "have to" do this or something but
a song comes to mind...
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SMwZsFKIXa8?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

jimnyc
04-29-2013, 07:30 PM
Truth of the matter is, and I'm sure we all already know this, but the CIA has been involved in getting into the pockets of foreign countries and doing what is necessary to gain intel for a very long time. I don't necessarily have an issue with the money, if it's keeping us on top of things, and perhaps safer as a result. I do have an issue with money going to warlords, but unfortunately not very surprising. Who better to get info from than someone involved. The money could go towards weapons to be used against our soldiers, and it's a reward for their shitty ways at the very least. Many will condemn the CIA but their work is pretty much invaluable.

revelarts
04-29-2013, 08:13 PM
Truth of the matter is, and I'm sure we all already know this, but the CIA has been involved in getting into the pockets of foreign countries and doing what is necessary to gain intel for a very long time. I don't necessarily have an issue with the money, if it's keeping us on top of things, and perhaps safer as a result. I do have an issue with money going to warlords, but unfortunately not very surprising. Who better to get info from than someone involved. The money could go towards weapons to be used against our soldiers, and it's a reward for their shitty ways at the very least. Many will condemn the CIA but their work is pretty much invaluable.

there not paying for intel they are paying for support, support for our goals. what ever they are ...coughdrugscough...
that was a nice way to try and spin it though.