PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to Italy?

Abbey Marie
04-30-2013, 01:17 PM
Anyone who has experience in visiting the Vatican, the Amalfi Cost, or Capri, I'm looking for advice on places to see and stay for a future Anniversary trip.

Thanks! :beer:

jimnyc
04-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Never been there myself. My wife has been there a few times, and her grandmother still owns a small place in Lucca, wherever that is!

fj1200
04-30-2013, 01:32 PM
There's nothing to rent in Tuscany...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPkmLWOqwwA

Marcus Aurelius
04-30-2013, 01:34 PM
Anyone who has experience in visiting the Vatican, the Amalfi Cost, or Capri, I'm looking for advice on places to see and stay for a future Anniversary trip.

My sister and her husband have been to the Amalfi coast area twice. I'll ask her what would be 'can't miss' in the area.

Robert A Whit
04-30-2013, 01:38 PM
Abbey,

I wonder if Rick Steves has anything on this on the internet. I see him from time to time on PBS.

Globe trekker also might be of value.

Marcus Aurelius
04-30-2013, 02:19 PM

Per sis...

Town called Ravello. There is an estate called Villa Cimbrone that is magnificent. She strongly suggested you have lunch at the Hotel Sasso in Ravello. It's an expensive hotel, but the meal isn't as costly, and it's got a great outdoor dining area.

http://www.palazzoavino.com/en/dining

She also suggested a bus trip to Pompeii.

aboutime
04-30-2013, 03:08 PM

Abbey. Wish I could help. Been a long time since my last visit to Naples, with a trip to Piza and Rome.
Got to see all of the traditional sites in Rome, and we stopped in Firenza....to see the statue of David on
the way back to the ship.
I did hear going to Capri..for tourists was not only expensive, but not very cordial as well. Like a private island resort for Italians only.
I do remember how DIRTY, and Unimpressed I was. Funny moment in Rome...bus drivers went on strike, left their bus in the middle of the street, and went into a restaurant for Cappicino!

Trigg
04-30-2013, 04:48 PM
I was there a few yrs ago with a friend. We stayed in Rome, the Vatican is a must as is the Colosseum. Try to visit the catacombs outside the city, the priest doing the tour that day was American and very informative. We spent an entire day in the surrounding country side afterwards, just walking around. The bus system is pretty easy to use and you can buy daily or 3 day passes.

We also took a side trip to Florence, it's an amazing city!

KarlMarx
04-30-2013, 04:52 PM

I went to Italy but everyone spoke with subtitles :)

Abbey Marie
04-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Per sis...

Town called Ravello. There is an estate called Villa Cimbrone that is magnificent. She strongly suggested you have lunch at the Hotel Sasso in Ravello. It's an expensive hotel, but the meal isn't as costly, and it's got a great outdoor dining area.

http://www.palazzoavino.com/en/dining

She also suggested a bus trip to Pompeii.

Thanks, that is very helpful. I will look it up. :cool:

Abbey Marie
04-30-2013, 06:01 PM
I was there a few yrs ago with a friend. We stayed in Rome, the Vatican is a must as is the Colosseum. Try to visit the catacombs outside the city, the priest doing the tour that day was American and very informative. We spent an entire day in the surrounding country side afterwards, just walking around. The bus system is pretty easy to use and you can buy daily or 3 day passes.

We also took a side trip to Florence, it's an amazing city!

The Catacombs sound fascinating. I will add them to the list of possible stops. :cool:

aboutime
04-30-2013, 06:06 PM
The Catacombs sound fascinating. I will add them to the list of possible stops. :cool:

Abbey. I forgot about that. On our way to Rome. We also stopped there at the Catacombs. Seeing the remains of early Roman's that almost appeared to be 3 or 4 high, in carved out stone along the walls is something you never forget.
Just wish I had spent more time there while in the Navy. World History rings out almost everywhere. But the modern ways of living seem to take away all of the expected appreciation of seeing those cities.
Bus tours out of Naples are plentiful, and often from the waterfront.

Abbey Marie
04-30-2013, 06:08 PM
Abbey,

I wonder if Rick Steves has anything on this on the internet. I see him from time to time on PBS.

Globe trekker also might be of value.

Thanks, I've looked at many travel videos.They are helpful, but I wanted some personal advice.

Robert A Whit
04-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Thanks, I've looked at many travel videos.They are helpful, but I wanted some personal advice.

Were you going to Berlin, I could give you advice. What I know of Italy is all second hand.

I am not sure if Rick Steves has a way to give more information than is on his videos.

Here is one tip I can give to you.

I would pre-book a tour of the area. This helped me a lot in Berlin. The tour won't hit all spots but you can tell what you would love to spend more time at or doing.