PDA

View Full Version : Govt studies anti-bacterial chem in soaps for **35 YEARS**, then says "no evidence"

Little-Acorn
05-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Yep, the Federal Government has been studying a chemical that's used in some 75% of liquid soaps, body washes, etc., for THIRTY-FIVE YEARS. They began this study when Richard Nixon was President. Their conclusion so far?

The FDA's website currently states that "the agency does not have evidence that triclosan in antibacterial soaps and body washes provides any benefit over washing with regular soap and water."

I would guess that they also have no evidence that it's any worse.

If they had any evidence it was causing any problems, wouldn't they have said something about it by now?

THIRTY-FIVE YEARS.

I wonder how much of the taxpayers' money they have spent on this "study" over those thirty-five years?

But don't worry. According to the article, "FDA spokeswoman Stephanie Yao said evaluating triclosan and other anti-bacterial agents is 'one of the highest priorities' for the agency."

Whew, that's a relief.

But, I'd hate to see what a low-priority evaluation looks like.

Come to think of it, have they released any conclusions yet, from their study on whether using whale oil for lighting lamps is beneficial?

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_LIQUID_SOAP_SAFETY?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-05-02-12-34-52

aboutime
05-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Another fine reason to Eliminate more than half of the FDA.

tailfins
05-02-2013, 02:50 PM
This is make-work for government employees. And who says there's no longer a WPA (We Piddle Around)?