PDA

View Full Version : And the Christian-phobia gets more absurd practically every day

Abbey Marie
05-05-2013, 03:05 PM
Excessive celebration? Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Of the likely places for a debate over religious free expression to erupt, a Texas high school track and field meet probably wasn’t high on the list.

Remarkably, that’s precisely where one athlete’s reactionary gesture has led to a broader discussion about what is appropriate at public school events, after a Columbus (Texas) High relay team was disqualified for one of their member’s heavenward gesture. The incident occurred in Columbus, where the track and field team was hosting a meet with the goal of qualify athletes for the state championship meet later in May.celebrated the team’s state qualification with a simple finger point to the heavens.

As first reported by Houston CBS affiliate KHOU, the school’s 4x100-meter relay squad achieved just that in winning its race decisively. The anchor of that 4x100 squad was junior Derrick Hayes, who ran a particularly blazing split and celebrated the team’s state qualification with a simple finger point to the heavens.

The gesture is a common one in sports -- remember Sammy Sosa or Barry Bonds after breaking the single season home run record? -- but on this occasion, it was deemed to have run afoul of a University Interscholastic League (UIL) regulation barring excessive celebration.
Once officials at the Columbus meet determined that Hayes had violated the excessive celebration rules, the entire 4x100-meter squad was disqualified and effectively barred from the state championships. The team will not get another chance to qualify for the meet.

“He put his hand by his ear and pointed to the heavens,” Hayes’ father, KC Hayes, told KHOU. “It was a reaction. You’re brought up your whole life that God gives you good things, you’re blessed.”

While there appears to be little recourse for the runners to be reinstated in the state championships, that hardly means that the surprising disqualification is a closed issue. Instead, residents around the area have spoken up in support of the teen athlete and questioning the wisdom of any UIL rule that would prohibit a form of religious free expression.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/texas-teen-points-heavens-gets-4-100-relay-181303156.html

Missileman
05-05-2013, 03:56 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/texas-teen-points-heavens-gets-4-100-relay-181303156.html

It's apparently policy that ANY hand gestures is automatically "excessive celebration". It's absurd.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-05-2013, 04:06 PM

The official making that insane ruling should get this salute. Those agreeing with the ruling should get the same..

:321:

aboutime
05-05-2013, 07:15 PM
The official making that insane ruling should get this salute. Those agreeing with the ruling should get the same..

:321:

If they want to be Liberally fair, and tolerant. If those teens are being punished. The same should be done for those who PRAISE THE LORD for OBAMA!

Robert A Whit
05-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Abbey I am here due to the redirect you put up on the other thread.

Jeff lives in GA so I thought it took place in Columbus, GA so am happy you clarified. It is TX.

I recall Columbus, GA as a bit like being in a lot of trees. I have spent a fair amount of time in TX to know what it looks like and now it makes sense that you say it is TX.

I do not approve what they did to that track team.