PDA

View Full Version : Rush Limbaugh Reportedly Considering Major Radio Shake-Up

red states rule
05-06-2013, 03:15 AM
Love him or hate him - Rush saved AM radio and made talk radio

But it is amazing how liberals always to to silence those that have a different opinion instead of simply changing the channel or turning the dial

A Sunday night POLITICO report claims Rush Limbaugh, host of the most listened to radio program in the country, is considering a major shake-up at the end of 2013.
Sources reportedly say he is considering ending his affiliation agreement with Cumulus Media, which would mean roughly 40 Cumulus-owned radio stations across the country would no longer be able to broadcast the program.
POLITICO continues (http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/05/rush-limbaugh-may-leave-cumulus-163282.html#.UYb9Kw7Be40.twitter):

According to the source, Limbaugh is considering the move because Cumulus CEO Lew Dickey has blamed the company’s advertising losses on Limbaugh’s controversial remarks about Sandra Fluke, the Georgetown law student. In Feb. 2012, Limbaugh referred to Fluke as “a slut” because she had called on congress to mandate insurance coverage of birth control. The subsequent controversy over those remarks resulted in a significant advertising boycott.

The true extent of Limbaugh’s effect on Cumulus’s advertising revenue is not known. In an August 2012 earnings call, Dickey said Cumulus’s top three stations had lost $5.5 million, in part because of the boycott. In a March 2013 earnings call, Dickey said the company’s talk radio side had “been challenged… due to some of the issues that happened a year ago.”…

Cumulus Media, which has a contract with Limbaugh through 2013, declined to comment for this report: “Cumulus owns the premier talk radio distribution platform in the United States and doesn’t comment on negotiations with talent under contract,” Davidson Goldin, a Cumulus spokesman, told POLITICO. Clear Channel, which distributes the Rush Limbaugh Program through its Premiere Radio division, also declined to comment. [Emphasis added]

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/05/05/rush-limbaugh-reportedly-considering-major-radio-shake-up/

logroller
05-06-2013, 03:32 AM
They'd be stupid to let rush go over a few million; im guessing he brings in way more than that. I suspect its just a negotiation tactic.

red states rule
05-06-2013, 03:46 AM
They'd be stupid to let rush go over a few million; im guessing he brings in way more than that. I suspect its just a negotiation tactic.

Stupid on to you

Rush is worth whatever the the company is willing to pay him

He saved AM radio and built the table all the other talk radio hosts are eating off of

Meanwhile.................

Rush Limbaugh (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Rush+Limbaugh) insists it’s not his fault that ad revenue has dropped at his flagship WABC radio station — and if his boss keeps saying it is, Rush just may pack up his megadittoes and leave.

In New York, that would very likely take him to WOR, which would create the biggest shakeup in city talk radio since WOR scooped up Bob Grant after WABC fired him in 1995.

Limbaugh’s contract with WABC expires at the end of the year.

Lew Dickey, the CEO of WABC parent company Cumulus, has said Limbaugh’s controversial comments have diminished ad revenue for the past year — and the slump remains a “residual hangover” for the station.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/rush-limbaugh-don-blame-article-1.1335773#ixzz2SVow6jEs

logroller
05-06-2013, 04:17 AM
Stupid on to you

Rush is worth whatever the the company is willing to pay him

He saved AM radio and built the table all the other talk radio hosts are eating off of

Meanwhile.................

I stipulated that he's an asset, and you seemingly agree with me; but any business will try and get a bargain if they can.

stupid on to you??? What does that even mean? It seems as though, even when we agree, you still feel compelled to insult me.

red states rule
05-06-2013, 04:25 AM
Rush ruffles the feathers of libs by not only telling the truth about Obama and liberalism - but opens each hour with his famous "talents on loan for God" quote

Saying God to a liberal infuriates most libs

taft2012
05-06-2013, 06:38 AM
In New York, that would very likely take him to WOR, which would create the biggest shakeup in city talk radio since WOR scooped up Bob Grant after WABC fired him in 1995.

Bob Grant is truly the guy who created the conservative talk-radio platform.

At the point when Grant was fired, we had Rush Limbaugh from 12:00 to 3:00, and then Bob Grant for three hours afterwards. And let me tell you, Grant was a freaking power keg at that time.

It was the removal of Grant that cleared the way for Sean Hannity, and Hannity ain't a flea on Bob Grant's pitbull.

PostmodernProphet
05-06-2013, 06:51 AM
Bob Grant is truly the guy who created the conservative talk-radio platform.

At the point when Grant was fired, we had Rush Limbaugh from 12:00 to 3:00, and then Bob Grant for three hours afterwards. And let me tell you, Grant was a freaking power keg at that time.

It was the removal of Grant that cleared the way for Sean Hannity, and Hannity ain't a flea on Bob Grant's pitbull.

I've never even heard of Bob Grant.......

taft2012
05-06-2013, 07:11 AM
I've never even heard of Bob Grant.......

I'm not sure how your familiarity with the name affects his influence on the medium.

But if you listen fairly regularly to Rush, Hannity, or Mark Levin, you've probably heard him mentioned. Or one of his guest host appearances.

He's well into his 80s now, and appears intermittently on the radio these days,

He must have been a real headache to his bosses back in the days of the Fairness Doctrine.

tailfins
05-06-2013, 07:25 AM
I'm not sure how your familiarity with the name affects his influence on the medium.

But if you listen fairly regularly to Rush, Hannity, or Mark Levin, you've probably heard him mentioned. Or one of his guest host appearances.

He's well into his 80s now, and appears intermittently on the radio these days,

He must have been a real headache to his bosses back in the days of the Fairness Doctrine.

Rush has been around for 20+ years and similar content is now available anywhere. Twenty years ago you couldn't get that point of view just anywhere. Forty stations out of about 600 is hardly a shake-up. Mark Levin has a livelier presentation without getting nutty like Glenn Beck. Bob Grant puts me to sleep.

taft2012
05-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Rush has been around for 20+ years and similar content is now available anywhere. Twenty years ago you couldn't get that point of view just anywhere. Forty stations out of about 600 is hardly a shake-up. Mark Levin has a livelier presentation without getting nutty like Glenn Beck. Bob Grant puts me to sleep.

Of the major names, Levin is most like the Bob Grant of old. Levin even cites Grant as his influence. The "get off my phone" bit is a direct homage. And Sean Hannity uses Grant's "straight ahead" lead in to commercial breaks.

Grant is 83 years-old now. No doubt he's lost a step and a lot of the fire, and has even moderated (unfortunately). But 20 years ago? Shiiiiit, no one could touch him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Grant_%28radio%29

http://www.bobgrantonline.com/

aboutime
05-06-2013, 08:01 AM
Lew Dickey of WABC who claims Rush has lost them money is...just playing the political game. He probably is a Liberal, with Liberal friends who have made threats to him about pulling their MONEY, and ADS unless Lew falls into the 100% Obama support trend.

Like the Benghazi Whistleblowers who have been threatened by the Obama admin. Nothing new.

Rush probably doesn't give a crap anyway. He can afford to SUPPORT his own broadcasting, anywhere. And that alone...REALLY TWISTS A LOT OF LIBERAL SHORTS into bunches.

taft2012
05-06-2013, 08:04 AM
Heh, heh. This thread got me reminiscing of the old days.

I remember how a national audience would have trouble with Rush saying things like "feminazi" and the homeless updates in the late 1980s.

In the 1970s, Bob Grant was calling to require the "Bob Grant mandatory sterilization program" for welfare "brood sows" to continue receiving benefits.

:laugh:

Abbey Marie
05-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Perhaps RL will start his own Internet TV station, a la Beck's Blaze. I'm sure he has lots of $$.

aboutime
05-06-2013, 01:47 PM
Perhaps RL will start his own Internet TV station, a la Beck's Blaze. I'm sure he has lots of $$.

Abbey. It could happen. Sadly for Al Gore. Rush probably has more of that $$$ than Al who sold his to the Enemy for a dance!

red states rule
05-10-2013, 02:05 AM
Once again, libs are ranting how the War of Limbaugh is over

This tine a liberal rag that sold for ONE DOLLAR

Newsweek Predicts the Demise of Rush Limbaugh's Show

Predictions of the demise of Rush Limbaugh and conservative talk radio are a dime a dozen. That liberal wish has been a repeated incantation. But it’s more amusing when the demise talk comes from .... “Newsweek.”

Come again? Who’s yesterday’s news? John Avlon of the Daily Beast (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/05/07/the-high-cost-of-rush-talker-bleeds-millions-from-his-carriers-as-toxic-talk-slumps-cumulus-seems-set-to-part-ways-with-rush-limbaugh.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=cheatsheet_morning&cid=newsletter;email;cheatsheet_morning&utm_term=Cheat%20Sheet)asserts Rush Limbaugh “Bleeds Millions From His Carriers as Toxic Talk Slumps.” Ahem, nobody’s bought Rush’s show for a dollar, like someone bought Newsweek. Avlon finds some guy whose newsletter has a Facebook page with nine Likes (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Inside-Music-Media/171232899576505) to insult Limbaugh’s audience as “all wearing Depends” – when he graduated college in 1968.
(http://www.broadcastpioneers.com/bp6/delcolliano.html)

We're watching the end of right-wing conservative talk radio," says Jerry Del Colliano, publisher of the radio-industry tip sheet Inside Music Media. "The genre is dying among ratings and dying among advertisers ... Rush is at the end of his career. His constituency is all wearing Depends. And he's getting himself into trouble he doesn't need. So can you put Humpty Dumpty back together again? They have been able to improve their advertising picture, but they have not been able to come back."

"Sandra Fluke was simply the lightning that struck and hit an old building that collapsed," Colliano says. "She didn't do it. She helped to bring it down at the end, but it was falling apart on its own."

...But the larger issue is the declining demographics of the right-wing talk-radio racket. “Look at the millennial generation,” says Colliano. “There’s 80 million of them coming of age. They don’t see color. They don’t see gender. And they’re civic minded: they don’t like bloviating. They don’t like yelling and screaming. So you tell me: how’s right-wing talk radio working for them?”

As in the past, the aging right-wing talkers—several of whom are represented by Limbaugh’s agent and brother David—will angrily dispute any decline in their profitability or ratings. It’s all become part of their self-serving kabuki, but Colliano dismisses their reflexive playing of the victim card. “They read the ratings the way they read the Gallup ratings right before the Obama victory. It’s their metrics; it’s their way. But its not backed by fact.”

It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that radio programmers might look at Obama's re-election and wonder if conservative talk radio is still hot. But you can't trust people who keep saying this over and over -- and Avlon wrote almost the same article in 2011.
(http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2011/02/12/cnns-john-avlon-pushes-right-wing-talk-dying-line)

Dear Mr. Avlon: speaking of "toxic talk," never forget sitting in the middle of a Newsweek chat about how no one should ever give Dick Cheney a heart. (http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2012/03/28/newsweek-staffer-joked-shed-say-cheney-give-me-my-heart-back)

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2013/05/09/read-it-twice-newsweek-predicts-demise-rush-limbaughs-show#ixzz2Ssnh2UcP