PDA

View Full Version : Shots fired from world's first 3D-printed gun

Marcus Aurelius
05-06-2013, 11:18 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/05/06/shots-fired-from-world-first-3d-printed-gun/?intcmp=features
http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/5183b15eecad04d23d000028-909-681-400-299/liberator-plastic-gun-1.jpg

The world's first 3D-printed handgun has been successfully fired in Texas, according to its creator Defense Distributed.

All 16 parts of the controversial gun, called the Liberator, are made from a tough, heat-resistant plastic used in products such as musical instruments, kitchen appliances and vehicle bumper bars.
Fifteen of those are made with a 3D printer while one is a non-functional metal part which can be picked up by metal detectors, making it legal under U.S. law (http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/02/13/print-draw-fire-3d-printing-could-muzzle-new-gun-laws/). The firing pin is also not made of plastic, though it is easily crafted from a metal nail.

The weapon is designed to fire standard handgun rounds and even features an interchangeable barrel so that it can handle different caliber rounds. The blueprint files are expected to be available online today for download.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK55GSbSWQ0

Abbey Marie
05-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Uh oh. Time to ban 3D printers.

Thunderknuckles
05-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Uh oh. Time to ban 3D printers.
Not too far from the truth. Chuck Schumer already wants to ban 3D printed guns.

Abbey Marie
05-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Not too far from the truth. Chuck Schumer already wants to ban 3D printed guns.

I'd like to ban Chuck Schumer.

Marcus Aurelius
05-06-2013, 11:53 AM
from the OP...

New York congressman Steve Israel has already called for national legislation to ban 3D-printed guns.

fj1200
05-06-2013, 12:22 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/05/06/shots-fired-from-world-first-3d-printed-gun/?intcmp=features

I thought the problem with printed guns was the pressure, did they solve that somehow?

Marcus Aurelius
05-06-2013, 12:57 PM
I thought the problem with printed guns was the pressure, did they solve that somehow?

...tough, heat-resistant plastic used in products such as musical instruments, kitchen appliances and vehicle bumper bars.
I doubt you could put a 50 cal round through something like this, but 22LR's, 9mm, 45's 357's, etc. I would think could work. I believe the video is a 22LR.

fj1200
05-06-2013, 12:59 PM
I doubt you could put a 50 cal round through something like this, but 22LR's, 9mm, 45's 357's, etc. I would think could work. I believe the video is a 22LR.

I read that about heat resistant but had read a previous article about the pressure issues. I would also think that there would be long term fatigue from heat and pressure. I imagine the designs and plastics will only get better.

Marcus Aurelius
05-06-2013, 01:09 PM
I read that about heat resistant but had read a previous article about the pressure issues. I would also think that there would be long term fatigue from heat and pressure. I imagine the designs and plastics will only get better.

according to the Forbes piece, they shot a .380 successfully. However, the gund didn't do 'quite' as well with a 5.7x28 rifle cartridge...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/05/05/meet-the-liberator-test-firing-the-worlds-first-fully-3d-printed-gun/

The printed gun seems limited, for now, to certain calibers of ammunition. After the handgun round, Wilson switched out the Liberator’s barrel for a higher-charge 5.7×28 rifle cartridge. He and John retreated to a safe distance, and John pulled his yellow string again. This time the gun exploded, sending shards of white ABS plastic flying into the weeds and bringing the Liberator’s first field trial to an abrupt end.

The Forbes linked page also has a link to the files needed to print this item. I will not post the actual link here, in case Jim would prefer I not do so.

Marcus Aurelius
05-09-2013, 01:57 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22464360

The blueprint used to produce a 3D-printed plastic gun has been downloaded about 100,000 times since going online earlier this week, according to Forbes. (http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/05/08/3d-printed-guns-blueprints-downloaded-100000-times-in-two-days-with-some-help-from-kim-dotcom/)

Marcus Aurelius
05-09-2013, 07:44 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/05/09/dod-forces-3d-gun-printer-defense-distributed-to-pull-weapon-specs-off-website/

Pentagon scrubs 3D gun plans from Internet, says designer

The world's first 3D-printed handgun, The Liberator, has had its liberty taken away by the government.

“[Defense Distributed's] files are being removed from public access at the request of the U.S. Department of Defense Trade Controls," read a banner atop the website. "Until further notice, the United States government claims control of the information.”
Wilson tells FoxNews.com that he decided to comply to a request by the Pentagon to take down the gun specs from his website while he weighs his legal options.

http://defcad.org/liberator/

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-09-2013, 08:10 PM

Because of the pressure issues of larger calibers its not likely that the 45 or 357 ammo would be used anyway other than a one time single fire item. The 22 caliber rounds are very low pressure .
As the caliber gets larger the pressures snowball upward.
Could be used for point of contact shooting as a single shot . Do not see much there other than a bit of stealth and a single shot item if in large more deadly calibers.-Tyr

Marcus Aurelius
05-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Because of the pressure issues of larger calibers its not likely that the 45 or 357 ammo would be used anyway other than a one time single fire item. The 22 caliber rounds are very low pressure .
Could be used for point of contact shooting as a single shot . Do not see much there other than a bit of stealth and a single shot item if in large more deadly calibers.-Tyr

that's exactly what this is...1 shot and reload.

the gun shattered with a 5.7x28.

http://www.apt401.com/57compare.jpg

left is a 22lr... next over is the 5.7x28

logroller
05-09-2013, 10:28 PM
I was thinking the same thing tyr. There's plans aplenty for improvised firearms, but I don't think it'd be useful for more than a few shots before the bore was shot. There's a reason that firearms use metal barrels and it has nothing to do with alerting metal detectors. From the fox article in Marcus's most recent post, emphasis mine.
"They asked that I take it down while they determine if they have the authority to control the info," he said. "It's clearly a direct response to everything we did this week. 3D printing is clearly not the best way to make an effective weapon."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/05/09/dod-forces-3d-gun-printer-defense-distributed-to-pull-weapon-specs-off-website/#ixzz2Sr1WyeYj

not to mention 3d printers aren't exactly plug and play. The yahoo statesman in the op talked about "somebody in their garage" building these things; please. You have to know code to use those machines, it'd likely be easier and cheaper to manufacture those things with plastic blanks and a harbor freight lathe. In fact, I know it is. You can buy 70-90% AR lowers and machine to function perfectly. you'd still have to anodize it for wear, but it'd be good for atleast a thousand rounds without; all done in your garage, outside the guise of govt scrutiny and for a jboatload less than it costs to buy a 3d printer. Imho this is just retribution for marketing this as a fuck off to government.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-09-2013, 10:45 PM
I was thinking the same thing tyr. There's plans aplenty for improvised firearms, but I don't think it'd be useful for more than a few shots before the bore was shot. There's a reason that firearms use metal barrels and it has nothing to do with alerting metal detectors. From the fox article in Marcus's most recent post, emphasis mine.
"They asked that I take it down while they determine if they have the authority to control the info," he said. "It's clearly a direct response to everything we did this week. 3D printing is clearly not the best way to make an effective weapon."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/05/09/dod-forces-3d-gun-printer-defense-distributed-to-pull-weapon-specs-off-website/#ixzz2Sr1WyeYj

not to mention 3d printers aren't exactly plug and play. The yahoo statesman in the op talked about "somebody in their garage" building these things; please. You have to know code to use those machines, it'd likely be easier and cheaper to manufacture those things with plastic blanks and a harbor freight lathe. In fact, I know it is. You can buy 70-90% AR lowers and machine to function perfectly. you'd still have to anodize it for wear, but it'd be good for atleast a thousand rounds without; all done in your garage, outside the guise of govt scrutiny and for a jboatload less than it costs to buy a 3d printer. Imho this is just retribution for marketing this as a fuck off to government.

I see it the same way. Now as a very short range point of contact weapon it may do but would be no big splash. Accuracy out past 10-20 feet would likely be extremely bad. Some stealth in its composition but not a huge deal. As a one shot one time hit weapon to be used up close and personal maybe it has a small area for use otherwise its as you say , "fuck off to the government weapon".-Tyr

logroller
05-09-2013, 11:00 PM
I see it the same way. Now as a very short range point of contact weapon it may do but would be no big splash. Accuracy out past 10-20 feet would likely be extremely bad. Some stealth in its composition but not a huge deal. As a one shot one time hit weapon to be used up close and personal maybe it has a small area for use otherwise its as you say , "fuck off to the government weapon".-Tyr
Rminds me of the ceramic/resin knives they came out with a few years ago. The catch is they must have a metal insert, same as this gun did. But you could remove said insert with enough time and effort-- it's a balance between reasonable limits and safety to some degree, and I'm willing to accept that...to some degree. By its also about the appearance of protection thanks to govt. like the TSA limiting the amount of liquids you can board an aircraft with. I know some guys into bombs (law enforcement) and they said that's a farce; that they actually made bombs that used less than what the limits are and it's all about misinformation. Stay tuned for a plethora of "3D print plans" to expound all over the Internet...they'll all be crap misinformation. One of those guys told me he wouldn't be surprised if the Boston bombs weren't even pressure cookers; that it was all a rouse to mislead would-be copycats. This from a verified and trained bomb expert. Course he's medical retired after a mishap; maybe he had his bell rung too hard.:dunno:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-09-2013, 11:05 PM
Rminds me of the ceramic/resin knives they came out with a few years ago. The catch is they must have a metal insert, same as this gun did. But you could remove said insert with enough time and effort-- it's a balance between reasonable limits and safety to some degree, and I'm willing to accept that...to some degree. By its also about the appearance of protection thanks to govt. like the TSA limiting the amount of liquids you can board an aircraft with. I know some guys into bombs (law enforcement) and they said that's a farce; that they actually made bombs that used less than what the limits are and it's all about misinformation. Stay tuned for a plethora of "3D print plans" to expound all over the Internet...they'll all be crap misinformation. One of those guys told me he wouldn't be surprised if the Boston bombs weren't even pressure cookers; that it was all a rouse to mislead would-be copycats. This from a verified and trained bomb expert. Course he's medical retired after a mishap; maybe he had his bell rung too hard.:dunno:

Misinformation has always been a deadly tactic. We and the Brits too really did a number on the germans with it during WW2. With the Japs too.
Negatives for the gun far outweigh its supposed positives IMHO. --TYR

logroller
05-10-2013, 01:23 AM
Misinformation has always been a deadly tactic. We and the Brits too really did a number on the germans with it during WW2. With the Japs too.
Negatives for the gun far outweigh its supposed positives IMHO. --TYR
Actual information can be deadly too. As col jessup so boldly quipped, some "can't handle the truth." That absent the certainty of a safe and orderly society, mayhem would result. This is a rather common belief and many take comfort in such, naive though it may be. Alternatively, many react to this with contempt, deriding this belief and reveling in the naivety. Neither group is wrong or right; it's a matter of belief. The belief (conversely, disbelief) in one stance vs another is not a matter of fact. Jesus Muhammad Buddha what have you: the proof is in the pudding. Those that deliver results will be victorious; good or bad. I believe in the concept of freedom respective of human rights because I trust that this belief will be victorious. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong-- by that's what I believe. I've changed my beliefs before mind you. I was once more accepting of abortion rights but Robert here persuaded me otherwise. I can be persuaded, but hitting me over the head with insults isn't going to change my beliefs much; on the contrary, it will far more likely make me more steadfast, even push me further from the antithesis of my belief. I think this too will happen with Muslims. Think of the idiomatic lesson in the catching of flies with honey rather than vinegar-- show them the merits of your actions, make evident the values you believe in and, it they be superior, its persuasive value shall be extolled. I'm reminded of gandhi's quote, "When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."
He was, of course, murdered; not by Muslims, but by his own people who, despite the evident benefits brought about by the perseverance of his unadulterated beliefs, rejected the totality of the essence of truth...and that TRUTH IS LOVE.