PDA

View Full Version : Senate passes internet sales tax bill amid opposition from conservatives

jimnyc
05-06-2013, 06:38 PM
The US Senate on Monday passed a bill aimed at ending tax-free shopping on the internet but the move looks set to face fierce opposition before it becomes law.

The Marketplace Fairness Act, which has cross-party supporter and the backing of powerful retailers, would give states the power to require retailers with sales over $1m to collect state and local sales taxes for online purchases.

The bill has the support of president Barack Obama the majority of senators including Republican John McCain but Marco Rubio, seen a potential Republican presidential hopeful, and Rand Paul both voted against the bill.

The bill passed the Senate by 70 votes to 24 but faces a second test in the House of Representatives where internet retailers and conservatives are already lobbying against the tax. House leaders have yet to schedule hearings or votes on their version of the measure.

The legislation would overturn a 1992 supreme court ruling that said a state could not force a retailer to collect sales tax unless the retailer had a physical presence in the state.

The bill has aligned unlikely parties. Amazon, the largest online retailer, has joined its bricks-and-mortar rivals including Walmart to support the act. Amazon was once a staunch critic of the tax but as it has built more distribution centers it has become liable for sales tax in more states and is now a backer.

The largest online opponent is eBay, which has campaigned against the bill and organised a mass protest by its sellers. Other opponents include numerous conservative and antitax groups including Americans for Tax Reform, FreedomWorks and Heritage Action.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/may/06/senate-passes-internet-sales-tax-amazon

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-06-2013, 06:43 PM
The US Senate on Monday passed a bill aimed at ending tax-free shopping on the internet but the move looks set to face fierce opposition before it becomes law.

The Marketplace Fairness Act, which has cross-party supporter and the backing of powerful retailers, would give states the power to require retailers with sales over $1m to collect state and local sales taxes for online purchases.

The bill has the support of president Barack Obama the majority of senators including Republican John McCain but Marco Rubio, seen a potential Republican presidential hopeful, and Rand Paul both voted against the bill.

The bill passed the Senate by 70 votes to 24 but faces a second test in the House of Representatives where internet retailers and conservatives are already lobbying against the tax. House leaders have yet to schedule hearings or votes on their version of the measure.

The legislation would overturn a 1992 supreme court ruling that said a state could not force a retailer to collect sales tax unless the retailer had a physical presence in the state.

The bill has aligned unlikely parties. Amazon, the largest online retailer, has joined its bricks-and-mortar rivals including Walmart to support the act. Amazon was once a staunch critic of the tax but as it has built more distribution centers it has become liable for sales tax in more states and is now a backer.

The largest online opponent is eBay, which has campaigned against the bill and organised a mass protest by its sellers. Other opponents include numerous conservative and antitax groups including Americans for Tax Reform, FreedomWorks and Heritage Action.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/may/06/senate-passes-internet-sales-tax-amazon

I am dead set against it. The consumer takes the hit on this. Being taxed more now is insanity and indeed big government doing what it does best--steal from its citizens.

Robert A Whit
05-06-2013, 07:04 PM
I am dead set against it. The consumer takes the hit on this. Being taxed more now is insanity and indeed big government doing what it does best--steal from its citizens.

If you buy batteries, ....

Well, I am not sure I can say the name of the company here but if you want to know, tell me and I will PM you.

I got 24 AA batteries shipped to me from Florida, including $5.60 cost to the USPS for $17.50 apx. I can look up the price to the penny but this is close enough for checkers.

The company has sold me plenty of batteries and I buy Alkaline premium batteries. These guys are awesome for service. I think from day of order to receipt was 3 days or 4 days. Anyway, no sales tax.

Oh and they gave me 10 percent off regular price and gave me a code to use that gives me 10 percent off till the cows show up. Anyway, some products have no shipping cost. Try to buy those batteries for about a half dollar then ask me for the name. OK, that figures no shipping cost. Invoice of batteries only was over $12. but not much over.

Missileman
05-06-2013, 08:08 PM

I think "in fairness" they need to make the states end their sales taxes thus equaling things up for everyone.

fj1200
05-07-2013, 03:44 AM

Now why would you want to go and make Robert a tax cheat?

Anyway, no sales tax.

red states rule
05-07-2013, 03:54 AM
I seem to recall Obama saying that if you made under $250,000/yr your taxes would not go up a dime

So far we have seen taxes go up on cigs, healthcare, and now sales tax

and idiots like John McLame seem giddy over jacking up taxes on the middle class who are lucky enough to still have a job in the Obama economy