PDA

View Full Version : Cheering ban costs five students their H.S. diplomas

nevadamedic
06-02-2007, 04:10 AM
Story Highlights
• 5 Students are still awaiting receipt of their high school diplomas
• Students and their parents had to sign a contract promising to act dignified
• Violators of the contract were warned they could be denied their diplomas

How sad, peopale were happy to see them graduate and then they didn't get their diploma because of people cheering for them.

Gunny
06-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Story Highlights

How sad, peopale were happy to see them graduate and then they didn't get their diploma because of people cheering for them.

If the students met the legal requirements for graduation, the school cannot withhold their diplomas, PERIOD.

The school CAN however, require specific conduct in order for students to be allowed to participate in the graduation ceremony.

Of course, I would have refused to sign a contract "promising to act dignified."

Monkeybone
06-02-2007, 09:17 AM
for all we know the students and their immediate families were well behaved. who to say that it wasn't cousin or something from out of town that they forgot to mention it to? i can understand from the article about the excessive cheering and air horns, but punishment for a little 'whoop whoop' when your kid crosses the stage? not cool.

Gunny
06-02-2007, 09:24 AM
for all we know the students and their immediate families were well behaved. who to say that it wasn't cousin or something from out of town that they forgot to mention it to? i can understand from the article about the excessive cheering and air horns, but punishment for a little 'whoop whoop' when your kid crosses the stage? not cool.

Maybe I'm showing my age, or just where I'm from. but clapping was about as far as it went when I graduated, and it was the same when my daughter did a few years ago.

I can understand the desire for a dignified ceremony. Traditionally, I think that's part of what the ceremony's all about. Recognition in a dignified setting.

I'm not sure I can see where air horns might fit in.:laugh2:

krisy
06-02-2007, 09:26 AM
I'm with Gunny. I don't think legally they can withold those diplomas. I think if the families had their lawyers give the school a call,they may see their diplomas rather quickly.

Gunny
06-02-2007, 09:32 AM
I'm with Gunny. I don't think legally they can withold those diplomas. I think if the families had their lawyers give the school a call,they may see their diplomas rather quickly.

IMO, the story is misleading in its vaguery. I don't think the school IS withholding the diplomas. I think they just didn't let them participate in the ceremony.

In that regard, I'd say the school better be able to justify it. The way they comb through my wallet for school taxes here, if they did that to my child and I did not consider it justified, the School Board might be hearing from an attorney.

Doniston
06-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Story Highlights

How sad, peopale were happy to see them graduate and then they didn't get their diploma because of people cheering for them. Where's the story? LINK????

Gunny
06-02-2007, 11:32 AM
Where's the story? LINK????

If he does not quote the original article, he is not required to post a link. His post looks more like a personal synopsis to me.

Mr. P
06-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Should still have a link though so all the story can be read. IMO

Here's one...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/EDUCATION/06/01/graduation.decorum.ap/index.html?eref=rss_mostpopular

Trigg
06-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Obviously the parents were a little louder than they are admitting to. The requirments the school wants from the students (8 hours) isn't excessive. If people would start acting correctly at these kinds of functions the school wouldn't have to go to these extremes.

the get-tough policy followed a 2005 commencement where hoots, hollers and even air horns drowned out much of the ceremony and nearly touched off fights in the audience when the unruly were asked to quiet down.

"Lots of parents complained that they could not hear their own child's name called,"

Meanwhile, the school said the five students can still get their diplomas by completing eight hours of public service work, answering phones, sorting books or doing other chores for the district, situated about 150 miles southwest of Chicago.

Principal Tom Chiles said administrators who monitored the more than 2,000-seat auditorium reported only disruptions they considered "significant," and all turned in the same five names.

Doniston
06-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Obviously the parents were a little louder than they are admitting to. The requirments the school wants from the students (8 hours) isn't excessive. If people would start acting correctly at these kinds of functions the school wouldn't have to go to these extremes.

the get-tough policy followed a 2005 commencement where hoots, hollers and even air horns drowned out much of the ceremony and nearly touched off fights in the audience when the unruly were asked to quiet down.

"Lots of parents complained that they could not hear their own child's name called,"

Meanwhile, the school said the five students can still get their diplomas by completing eight hours of public service work, answering phones, sorting books or doing other chores for the district, situated about 150 miles southwest of Chicago.

Principal Tom Chiles said administrators who monitored the more than 2,000-seat auditorium reported only disruptions they considered "significant," and all turned in the same five names. And you think the students should be punished for what other people did? Very Strange.

Nukeman
06-02-2007, 01:47 PM
And you think the students should be punished for what other people did? Very Strange.

Why??

The parents were warned that this would happen. Presuming the student only had so many tickets to hand out to their family members, they chose which family members to invite.

The parents and family members knew the consiquences to their actions and chose to ignore the rules.

It's 8 hours of community service, not a lifetime sentence. This teaches the student there are consiquences and someone has to pay for breaking the rules. If the parents feel guilty maybe they should do the time with their child.

GUILT BY ASSOCIATION

krisy
06-02-2007, 01:55 PM
While I do believe that using an airhorn is excessive,I disagree with punishing the students after they have worked so hard for something.

Nuke,I think your on to something. What about making the parents alone do the community service?

Pale Rider
06-02-2007, 02:04 PM
I graduated in 1973, and do remember, it was a rather solemn occasion, and no one had to be ASKED to be quite. They just were. Did people have more sense back then? I think so.

Gaffer
06-02-2007, 02:24 PM
I graduated in 1973, and do remember, it was a rather solemn occasion, and no one had to be ASKED to be quite. They just were. Did people have more sense back then? I think so.

They had more sense and more respect.

Repsect is what's missing in our society today.

chum43
06-02-2007, 03:10 PM
I don't know the specifics of this story, but the same sort of thing was done at my school, except without the contract... I think it is fine, I mean the kids will get their diplomas, they just don't get them at the ceremony, which is completely fair, all you had to do was keep quiet and they couldn't, so too bad, wait a week, no big deal... it's really a non-story... nowadays if everyone were allowed to cheer as loud as they want, like the article says, many kids names wouldn't even be heard because of the carry-over... is it that hard to just shut up?.. it's only a graduation ceremony.

Yurt
06-02-2007, 05:12 PM

Principal Tom Chiles said administrators who monitored the more than 2,000-seat auditorium reported only disruptions they considered "significant," and all turned in the same five names.

I disagree, one minute is excessive. As Gunny said, if they have completed all the requirements to get a degree, you can not require them to anything more to get that degree. If there is to be a punishment, then it can not be to withhold the degree.

Nukeman
06-02-2007, 07:16 PM
I disagree, one minute is excessive. As Gunny said, if they have completed all the requirements to get a degree, you can not require them to anything more to get that degree. If there is to be a punishment, then it can not be to withhold the degree.

They (the school system) are not taking their degree away from them. What they are doing is holding the students and ultimately their family responsible for a CONTRACT that they signed. If they didn't want to sign the CONTRACT they could have done the American thing and said they would sue if forced to.

Do you think they should have no consiquences to their actions at the graduation. Do you think it is appropriate for their family to drown out the names and achievments of other students just so they can scream there stupid little heads off "cause junior is the first to get thru high school"

I for one applaude the school system for sticking to thier guns and quiting these rowdy people.

I am sure you know exactly the type I am talking about. The type that just dont know when to shut thier mouths....

Gunny
06-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Why??

The parents were warned that this would happen. Presuming the student only had so many tickets to hand out to their family members, they chose which family members to invite.

The parents and family members knew the consiquences to their actions and chose to ignore the rules.

It's 8 hours of community service, not a lifetime sentence. This teaches the student there are consiquences and someone has to pay for breaking the rules. If the parents feel guilty maybe they should do the time with their child.

GUILT BY ASSOCIATION

I don't agree. The school has no leg to stand on. They cannot withhold academic certification earned over a 4 year period for something as trivial as this, and I doubt seriously the legality of the school "requiring" community service.

Who the Hell are they? And they had 4 years in HS alone to teach kids proper classroom behavior.

Nukeman
06-02-2007, 07:38 PM
I don't agree. The school has no leg to stand on. They cannot withhold academic certification earned over a 4 year period for something as trivial as this, and I doubt seriously the legality of the school "requiring" community service.

Who the Hell are they? And they had 4 years in HS alone to teach kids proper classroom behavior.
Gunny, They are not witholding any "academic certificate"

Your right they had 4 years in HS to teach these kids proper behavior. You know as well as I do you cant beat certain behavior into unrulely children.

My God if their parents aren't willing to take a solom occasion seriously enough to control themselves, how would you expect the school to teach their children.

By requiring the community service they are TEACHING these students that they and their family expressed inappropriate behavior.. That is what school is for is it not..... TO TEACH....

I bet they dont have this problem next year if they are allowed to obligate these students to fulfill their CONTRACT....

Gaffer
06-02-2007, 07:40 PM
The school has no legal authority to force these students to do anything. They are not a court of law and can do nothing to these students. The most that can be done is hold up handing over the diplomas for a short time. The diplomas are mailed out after the ceremony anyway. The students always get a empty tube at these events.

It's fine that the school wants to take action but this is not it.

Yurt
06-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Nukeman;71437]They (the school system) are not taking their degree away from them.

If I owe you $100 for doing job X, and you do job X, and I say, whoa, you were hootin and a hollerin, so you have to do Y before I give you the $$, are you ok with that?

What they are doing is holding the students and ultimately their family responsible for a CONTRACT that they signed. If they didn't want to sign the CONTRACT they could have done the American thing and said they would sue if forced to.

No contract. They do the work, they get the degree. What contract are you talking about?

Do you think they should have no consiquences to their actions at the graduation. Do you think it is appropriate for their family to drown out the names and achievments of other students just so they can scream there stupid little heads off "cause junior is the first to get thru high school"

Read my post again.

I for one applaude the school system for sticking to thier guns and quiting these rowdy people.

I am sure you know exactly the type I am talking about. The type that just dont know when to shut thier mouths...

The school does not own the degree. Find another punishment.

Gunny
06-02-2007, 07:55 PM

Your right they had 4 years in HS to teach these kids proper behavior. You know as well as I do you cant beat certain behavior into unrulely children.

My God if their parents aren't willing to take a solom occasion seriously enough to control themselves, how would you expect the school to teach their children.

By requiring the community service they are TEACHING these students that they and their family expressed inappropriate behavior.. That is what school is for is it not..... TO TEACH....

I bet they dont have this problem next year if they are allowed to obligate these students to fulfill their CONTRACT....

They have no legal means of enforcement. All they can do is remove the offenders from the ceremony. They cannot withhold the diploma, period, and they cannot require the student or parent to perform anything to get it other than the student meeting the academic requirement to earn it.

I'm not excusing bad behavior. Far from it. I just think the school's method for attempting to deal with it reeks; especially, attempting to mete out punishment as if they had the authority.

Kathianne
06-02-2007, 07:56 PM
I agree. I've been to 5 hs graduations in the past 3 years, people are bringing balloons, air horns, they stand and scream while their student is walking across the stage. Now we are talking about the ceremonies being held in rented university auditorium with perhaps as many as 2-3 thousand 'guests,' so one 'family' might have 10 or more people standing up screaming. Meanwhile another 5 or more students names are called, which cannot be heard, regardless of the sound system.

College graduations too have started down this path.

For some reason this story reminded me of the school that canceled prom awhile back:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,172416,00.html

If people won't use common sense, it may be imposed.

shattered
06-02-2007, 07:57 PM

I gotta ask.. Are you on drugs?

Gunny
06-02-2007, 08:06 PM
I gotta ask.. Are you on drugs?

More importantly .... is he on drugs and NOT sharing?:death:

shattered
06-02-2007, 08:07 PM

You don't need *those* drugs, toots.. Apparently, one of the major side effects is exceptionally irrational thoughts.

Nukeman
06-02-2007, 08:07 PM
I gotta ask.. Are you on drugs?Why!!!!!

Because I think people should act respectful for others!!!!!

Because these family ruined a night of honor for the people they drowned out...

All the school is asking for is a little decorum, if they cant do that then cancel the whole fucking thing. Would you prefer that!!!!!!

Can they MAKE the kids do the service, probably not. What they are doing is getting their point across.. That is what this is ultimately about dont yaa think. Should we just let these loud obnoxious assholes get away with ruining a perfectly good ceremony for all!!!!!

Nukeman
06-02-2007, 08:09 PM
I'll never tell!!!! It is Saturday night!!!!:cheers2:

Kathianne
06-02-2007, 08:10 PM
Why!!!!!

All the school is asking for is a little decorum, if they cant do that then cance the whole fucking thing. Would you prefer that!!!!!!

CAn they MAKE the kids do the service probably not but what they are doing is getting teir point across.. Taht is what this is ultimately about dont yaa think. Should we just let these loud obnoxious assholes get away with ruining a perfectly good ceremony for all!!!!!

They did graduate, they just didn't get the 'diploma'. Obviously they participated, since that caused the ruckus in the first place.

The few that will not act properly, should not be able to ruin the day for others.

Nukeman
06-02-2007, 08:11 PM
They did graduate, they just didn't get the 'diploma'. Obviously they participated, since that caused the ruckus in the first place.

The few that will not act properly, should not be able to ruin the day for others.This is exactly what I have been saying....

shattered
06-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Why!!!!!

All the school is asking for is a little decorum, if they cant do that then cancel the whole fucking thing. Would you prefer that!!!!!!

Can they MAKE the kids do the service, probably not. What they are doing is getting their point across.. That is what this is ultimately about dont yaa think. Should we just let these loud obnoxious assholes get away with ruining a perfectly good ceremony for all!!!!!

Loud obnoxious assholes? Well, THERE'S the respect you're preaching. For all you know, maybe just getting through high school was a challenge for that entire family. Maybe they had a reason to cheer. D'you think it would have killed the school to wait 3 seconds before announcing the next name?

Perhaps you could try not being such a judgemental nazi prick sometime in the future.

Gunny
06-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Why!!!!!

All the school is asking for is a little decorum, if they cant do that then cance the whole fucking thing. Would you prefer that!!!!!!

CAn they MAKE the kids do the service probably not but what they are doing is getting teir point across.. Taht is what this is ultimately about dont yaa think. Should we just let these loud obnoxious assholes get away with ruining a perfectly good ceremony for all!!!!!

I think people should act respectful of others as well. I'm not real oterant of inconsiderate people, myself.

I have no problem with the school asking for a little decorum.

The loudmouthes were removed from the ceremony, were they not? That is pretty much ALL the school has the authority to do.

Again, I'm not against people having manners ... but I REALLY don't like this particular school's answer to the problem.

Wanna stop this? Buy some space in the local rag and announce the names of all who were removed from the ceremony for their piss-poor behavior.

shattered
06-02-2007, 08:17 PM
This happens in EVERY school, at almost EVERY graduation. It's to be expected.. I don't really see what the big deal everyone's making over it is..

I attended a graduation wherein when each name was called, you were allowed to clap *once*. That was the most awful, boring 2 hours of my life. Graduation should be happy time - not a somber event. Funerals have more life.

Nukeman
06-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Loud obnoxious assholes? Well, THERE'S the respect you're preaching. For all you know, maybe just getting through high school was a challenge for that entire family. Maybe they had a reason to cheer. D'you think it would have killed the school to wait 3 seconds before announcing the next name?

Perhaps you could try not being such a judgemental nazi prick sometime in the future.Have you been to a graduation with over 600 students and listened to the LOUD OBNOXIOUS ASSHOLES???? If not then you have no reason defending these idiots and a lot of them scream for longer the 3 whole seconds some of these people use fog horns and scream for minutes at a time if that was allowed to happen for every person that walked across the stage it would last forever...

You know what your absolutely right fuck it let everyone scream and carry on for as long as they want dont have any civility at all just fuck it all... whoe really cares if they ever learn to control themselves......Your way is soo much better.....

Nukeman
06-02-2007, 08:18 PM
I think people should act respectful of others as well. I'm not real oterant of inconsiderate people, myself.

I have no problem with the school asking for a little decorum.

The loudmouthes were removed from the ceremony, were they not? That is pretty much ALL the school has the authority to do.

Again, I'm not against people having manners ... but I REALLY don't like this particular school's answer to the problem.

Wanna stop this? Buy some space in the local rag and announce the names of all who were removed from the ceremony for their piss-poor behavior.I agree whole heartedly, what the school is trying to do is bring attention to this problem. Than you have others like Shattered who make excuses for them.....

shattered
06-02-2007, 08:19 PM
Have you been to a graduation with over 600 students and listened to the LOUD OBNOXIOUS ASSHOLES???? If not then you have no reason defending these idiots and a lot of them scream for longer the 3 whole seconds some of these people use fog horns and scream for minutes at a time if that was allowed to happen for every person that walked across the stage it would last forever...

You know what your absolutely right fuck it let everyone scream and carry on for as long as they want dont have any civility at all just fuck it all... whoe really cares if they ever learn to control themselves......Your way is soo much better.....

I believe I just answered your question before you asked it.

Now, I'll ask you - where is YOUR tolerance, since all you're doing is sitting here calling them names, without knowing their side of it?

shattered
06-02-2007, 08:22 PM
I agree whole heartedly, what the school is trying to do is bring attention to this problem. Than you have others like Shattered who make excuses for them.....

People like Shattered? Clearly, you don't know me, and know nothing about me, or you wouldn't make such a blanketed statement..

Try picking your battles, rather than wasting so much time on stupid shit.

Gunny
06-02-2007, 08:32 PM
I agree whole heartedly, what the school is trying to do is bring attention to this problem. Than you have others like Shattered who make excuses for them.....

She isn't making excuses for them. She has a different point of view. I don't agree with it because one, graduation is a traditionalyl solemn occasion, and two, if you wait for each fan club to stop cheering it'll probably last longer than an NFL game.

However, she DOES have a point where it could be a major a event where a family basically had to drag a child kicking and screaming through school, or have an itellectually challenged child who had to work twice as hard to barely make it.

When you graduate Marine boot camp, EVERYONE cheers at the conclusion of the ceremony. I think that solves the issue on BOTH sides.

Nukeman
06-02-2007, 09:36 PM
People like Shattered? Clearly, you don't know me, and know nothing about me, or you wouldn't make such a blanketed statement..

Try picking your battles, rather than wasting so much time on stupid shit.
If yo defend others who think they dont have to follow the rules than you are making excuses for them.................

Kathianne
06-02-2007, 09:41 PM
She isn't making excuses for them. She has a different point of view. I don't agree with it because one, graduation is a traditionalyl solemn occasion, and two, if you wait for each fan club to stop cheering it'll probably last longer than an NFL game.

However, she DOES have a point where it could be a major a event where a family basically had to drag a child kicking and screaming through school, or have an itellectually challenged child who had to work twice as hard to barely make it.

When you graduate Marine boot camp, EVERYONE cheers at the conclusion of the ceremony. I think that solves the issue on BOTH sides.

Exactly, at the end of the ceremony, when the caps fly so it's the time to hoot and holler.

My dad just came home awhile ago, from my youngest niece's graduation. 738 grads. My niece had run up to say 'hi' and thanks for the card I gave her. Went downstairs and asked how the ceremony went, my older niece said that they were handing the diplomas out from both ends of the stage. She noted that the students that were 'honors' did not have parents/family members that went 'nuts'. Interesting how those that have children that have self-discipline, also practice it.

Trigg
06-02-2007, 09:47 PM

Maybe it's me, but I think things have gotten a bit off topic.

Gunny, your post at the end makes the most sense. "EVERYONE cheers at the conclusion of the ceremony." THE END OF THE CEREMONY~ is where the cheers belong, that and the AFTERWARD at the graduation parties.

This school, if everyone read the article, had problems with fights breaking out last year because some parents brought air horns to the graduation. Myself, graduating from a class of almost 650 people, it was quiet and needed to be, in order to finish in less than 2 days.

People, graduation is a serious affair. Parties afterward is where the overboard cheering needs to be. These parents went overboard and in order to restore order the school acted.

Trigg
06-02-2007, 09:57 PM
I believe I just answered your question before you asked it.

Now, I'll ask you - where is YOUR tolerance, since all you're doing is sitting here calling them names, without knowing their side of it?

Really, who cares what their side of it is??

They were asked to show some decorum and asked to sign a contract BEFORE the graduation. Apparently the school did this because of previous problems.

What is so wrong with expecting ADULTS to act like ADULTS instead of 5yr old children????

gabosaurus
06-03-2007, 12:45 AM
I read this story and a follow-up. Students were warned that they would lose their diplomas if "disturbances" accompanied the announcement of their names. Which opens the doors to anyone disliking you to raise a ruckus. All five students denied their diplomas were minorities. Another seven or so non-minorities received their diplomas despite noisy responses. Only their '"noise" was judged to be "not as disturbing."

It's all pure BS, of course. At the high school graduations for myself and myself, everyone went into the ceremony knowing that there would be loud outbursts at every single name. A brief pause was added after each name, then the next was announced, regardless of the noise level. The speaker system was quite loud. The only things formally "banned" were artificial noisemakers.

chum43
06-03-2007, 01:29 AM
look, they are going to get their diplomas one way or another... the point is to cause a ruckus over the whole thing to deter it from happening in the future since obviously A CONTRACT didn't work... it was the right the to do and I would side with the school, hell I don't even know why they have the damn things, graduation ceremonies seem like a big waste of time to me... specially if it's true that they don't even hand out the diplomas anymore, i know when I was in school they actually handed the diplomas to us at the ceremony, and it was understood that there was no cheering until the end...

shattered
06-03-2007, 08:53 AM
If yo defend others who think they dont have to follow the rules than you are making excuses for them.................

No, you're wrong yet AGAIN. I don't *defend* anyone who chooses to break rules. I'm saying YOU'RE being a complete ass when you don't know what the circumstances behind this ARE. You don't know how much of a challenge a simple high school graduation was for this family or student. You know nothing other than what's printed, yet you're shouting from the rafters about how people "like this" basically don't deserve to live.

Yes, they signed a form - hold them to that by imposing a fine; not wiithholding a students diploma.

Somewhere in here, someone said the punishment doesn't fiit the crime - *that* I agree with 100%.

But, you just sit here and continue to make your judgement calls, incorrect tho they may be. It's easy when you're sitting on your ass behind a block of plastic and glass. :)

Mr. P
06-03-2007, 09:11 AM
It's a Sad commentary of society when students and ADULTs are ask to sign a contract that says they'll be courteous and respectful during a ceremony.

Doniston
06-03-2007, 09:18 AM

I bet they dont have this problem next year if they are allowed to obligate these students to fulfill their CONTRACT.... the contract aspect is BS. You are still advocating punishing the kids for what their parents/and or guests do.

If my wife kills someone, am I responsible for her action because I was married to her??? no, of course not. this is the same kind of deal. Those kids could not control the actions of those in the audience. They are not responsible.

Nukeman
06-03-2007, 01:04 PM
It's a Sad commentary of society when students and ADULTs are ask to sign a contract that says they'll be courteous and respectful during a ceremony.
BINGO!!!!!

Now if you can get Shattered to understand that little fact maybe she will quit with the name calling. I haven't called her names infact I usually agree with a lot of what she says but for some reason because I feel they should be held accountable I'm "a prick, a NAZI, a asshole etc..."

Nukeman
06-03-2007, 01:05 PM
the contract aspect is BS. You are still advocating punishing the kids for what their parents/and or guests do.

If my wife kills someone, am I responsible for her action because I was married to her??? no, of course not. this is the same kind of deal. Those kids could not control the actions of those in the audience. They are not responsible.THE PARENTS SIGNED THE CONTRACT WITH THEIR CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!

shattered
06-03-2007, 01:10 PM
BINGO!!!!!

Now if you can get Shattered to understand that little fact maybe she will quit with the name calling. I haven't called her names infact I usually agree with a lot of what she says but for some reason because I feel they should be held accountable I'm "a prick, a NAZI, a asshole etc..."

Hey, I dumped the name-calling on you because you dumped it on people you don't even know...

Again, the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Fine them, and be done with it. Withholding a piece of paper a student earned is wrong. Period.

Nukeman
06-03-2007, 01:12 PM
Hey, I dumped the name-calling on you because you dumped it on people you don't even know...

Again, the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Fine them, and be done with it. Withholding a piece of paper a student earned is wrong. Period.

I didn't call YOU a name I called the people that disrupted a graduation knowing full well the consiquences a name....

Nukeman
06-03-2007, 01:14 PM
I personally believe the family members should be allowed to applaude and maybe whistle but to disrupt or block the ability for others to hear their own family members names should not be allowed!!!

shattered
06-03-2007, 01:15 PM
I didn't call YOU a name I called the people that disrupted a graduation knowing full well the consiquences a name....

...again, without knowing what they had to go through to GET to that graduation. All you see is black and white - they did something wrong - period.. Fine. They did something wrong.. But again, what do you really know about why? Why the harsh judgement call on your part? And why are you so opposed to merely fining them, and putting *that* money back into the school? What is withholding a piece of paper going to really do?

Nukeman
06-03-2007, 01:18 PM
...again, without knowing what they had to go through to GET to that graduation. All you see is black and white - they did something wrong - period.. Fine. They did something wrong.. But again, what do you really know about why? Why the harsh judgement call on your part? And why are you so opposed to merely fining them, and putting *that* money back into the school? What is withholding a piece of paper going to really do?It is not a harsh judgement call they are being held accountable. This is probably one of the biggest lesson these kids can be taught that there are consiquences to your actions... period...

They made an agreement with the school system to act in a repectful way. Do I think the students should be the ones punished no not really but unfortunately that is the only recourse the school has...

Doniston
06-03-2007, 02:47 PM
THE PARENTS SIGNED THE CONTRACT WITH THEIR CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!SO? the kids STill aren't responsible. The Parents ARE.

Doniston
06-03-2007, 02:49 PM
It is not a harsh judgement call they are being held accountable. This is probably one of the biggest lesson these kids can be taught that there are consiquences to your actions... period...

They made an agreement with the school system to act in a repectful way. Do I think the students should be the ones punished no not really but unfortunately that is the only recourse the school has... Then why advocate it. two Wrongs don't make a right.

Kathianne
06-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Then why advocate it. two Wrongs don't make a right.

Actually I think it's the easiest way to end the stupid behavior that has become out of control in the past 10 years or so, each year it was growing worse. The kids still have 'graduated' which will be confirmed by transcripts to colleges or employers. What they don't have, at least for now, is the decorative wall ready diploma.

Since it is desirable, perhaps next year will be better.

As I said earlier, the whole brouhaha reminded me of the prom being cancelled, in 2005:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9720858/

It was held the following year, with rules that were going to be enforced, which no one doubted.

Mr. P
06-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Penalizing students for the actions of the audience is stupid in my opinion.

The way I see it, the only viable solution is to NOT hold the ceremony at all. I hate that because then ALL students lose out on the symbolic right of passage. But...what are they (the school) gonna do, what can the do?

Very sad situation, indeed.

Kathianne
06-03-2007, 03:32 PM
Penalizing students for the actions of the audience is stupid in my opinion.

The way I see it, the only viable solution is to NOT hold the ceremony at all. I hate that because then ALL students lose out on the symbolic right of passage. But...what are they (the school) gonna do, what can the do?

Very sad situation, indeed.

Considering your alternative of canceling graduation altogether, seems the school acted appropriately, imo.

Mr. P
06-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Considering your alternative of canceling graduation altogether, seems the school acted appropriately, imo.

Well, maybe..But if they did cancel, like they did the Prom you mentioned maybe that would do it..I donno. Like I said, it's a sad situation in general.

Kathianne
06-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Well, maybe..But if they did cancel, like they did the Prom you mentioned maybe that would do it..I donno. Like I said, it's a sad situation in general.
Well it would suck to be a member of 'that' class, but you might have a point. But if memory serves, you dearest did graduate, as did all of mind, so easy for us to say, now.

Mr. P
06-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Well it would suck to be a member of 'that' class, but you might have a point. But if memory serves, you dearest did graduate, as did all of mind, so easy for us to say, now.

Yes it is and yes she did, but because she attended college her senior year and not the school itself they won't allow her to walk with the class..Sucks doesn't it? She didn't care though.

Kathianne
06-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Yes it is and yes she did, but because she attended college her senior year and not the school itself they won't allow her to walk with the class..Sucks doesn't it? She didn't care though.

I agree, but if she did, the absence would be unfair, she had worked hard. You and her mother had supported her, you would have a right to hear her name called out, not drowned out by those that figued they were all that counts.

Mr. P
06-03-2007, 05:03 PM
I agree, but if she did, the absence would be unfair, she had worked hard. You and her mother had supported her, you would have a right to hear her name called out, not drowned out by those that figued they were all that counts.

I agree 100%.

Kathianne
06-03-2007, 05:11 PM
I agree 100%.

Thanks for that. Truth is, most of us here, would not be in the minority of screaming, using bullhorns, balloons to block visuals of our students. Those that do such, should be slammed down.

A nod to those 'so proud to pop'. Some might be screaming for the first hs graduate in the family. Certainly something to celebrate, big time. Wait until the end of the program, then grab your horn, balloons, confetti, and go to town! Yeah! Your graduate!