PDA

View Full Version : Gumbo

Jeff
05-07-2013, 08:00 AM
Well the wife and I where walking through the food store this weekend and I seen a box of stuff to make Gumbo with and said it looked good , the wife said "ooo you like Gumbo " hell we have been together like 14 years and I have ordered it countless times while out to eat , makes me wonder where her mind is when we go out :laugh: well anyway she decided to make a big pot of it late last night and as usual I feel asleep in my chair, when I woke up around 2 I walked in the kitchen and it smelled great but it was still simmering so I woke her up ( still healing from the back surgery I couldn't lift it and I didn't know if she left it on low for the night or what ) well she got up turned it off and of course it had to sit for a while before it could go in the fridge , so when I got up at 5 I woke up to the house smelling great , I woke her and yes it was cool enough to put away and she told me she put some in a smaller tupperware bowl ( I could lift ) and put it all in the fridge , now my problem is I am starving :laugh: but I am pretty sure Gumbo isn't for breakfast :laugh:

I posted this here instead of the recipe thread cause I have no idea what goes in it but if it taste as good as it smells I will get the recipe from her and post it , she says it won't be as good as usual because she used a couple of them boxes , she says made from scratch is much better so time will tell

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-07-2013, 08:06 AM
Well the wife and I where walking through the food store this weekend and I seen a box of stuff to make Gumbo with and said it looked good , the wife said "ooo you like Gumbo " hell we have been together like 14 years and I have ordered it countless times while out to eat , makes me wonder where her mind is when we go out :laugh: well anyway she decided to make a big pot of it late last night and as usual I feel asleep in my chair, when I woke up around 2 I walked in the kitchen and it smelled great but it was still simmering so I woke her up ( still healing from the back surgery I couldn't lift it and I didn't know if she left it on low for the night or what ) well she got up turned it off and of course it had to sit for a while before it could go in the fridge , so when I got up at 5 I woke up to the house smelling great , I woke her and yes it was cool enough to put away and she told me she put some in a smaller tupperware bowl ( I could lift ) and put it all in the fridge , now my problem is I am starving :laugh: but I am pretty sure Gumbo isn't for breakfast :laugh:

I posted this here instead of the recipe thread cause I have no idea what goes in it but if it taste as good as it smells I will get the recipe from her and post it , she says it won't be as good as usual because she used a couple of them boxes , she says made from scratch is much better so time will tell

Man , I love gumbo as long as there are no crayfish in it. I simply hate crayfish, always have. I have had gumbo to die for and have tasted gumbo that made me run away. It depends on two things the cook's talent and the ingredients used.
You are correct it is not really a breakfast food. ;)

Jeff
05-07-2013, 08:19 AM
Man , I love gumbo as long as there are no crayfish in it. I simply hate crayfish, always have. I have had gumbo to die for and have tasted gumbo that made me run away. It depends on two things the cook's talent and the ingredients used.

Now in my drinking days it would of been gone by now :laugh:

And no crayfish in it I know she put shrimp, sausage and chicken in it and the wife is usually a great cook so I am hoping but she is telling me not to get my hopes up because she put the two boxes of Gumbo flavoring and other stuff in it , originally it was suppose to be just a quick meal due to baseball season, every night we are at the ball field and when one of the boys have a 8 pm game we don't get home until after 10 and they have school the next day, so we try and feed them before the game but they don't want to eat to much and are hungry when they come home so a bowl before and one after would've done the trick

Abbey Marie
05-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Jeff, I think you showed admirable restraint. :cool:

Voted4Reagan
05-07-2013, 01:38 PM
http://image2.findagrave.com/photos250/photos/2007/294/678_119312886514.jpg

Jeff
05-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Well I just had a bowl and yes it is good, a bit to much liquid but a fantastic taste :2up: Laura gets a gold star :laugh:

jimnyc
05-07-2013, 02:18 PM
:puke3:hate the stuff!

Robert A Whit
05-07-2013, 02:26 PM

I have to try an experiment at some point. But first about Gumbo. I have not eaten Gumbo. We have small crayfish in my area and I have ate them. They are so small it is a pain to deal with so I don't make a habit of catching them at the lake. There is a streamlet off the lake and that is where they are. I can't be sure they are in the lake but figure why not?

I love the flavor of Lobster and enjoyed the crayfish.

But my experiment.

I have had crab but one time where I could stand it and that time it was very good.

I realize that in my area, the dungeness crab is what is fished locally and maybe I would like other crabs but not this one. I plan that experiment to try something like Alaskan King crabs. I know at times they are sold at Costco.

Way back when i was maybe 21, a local restaurant where you could eat all you could for one price was a few miles away. I and a buddy would drive to that place and eat the lobster as well as the prime rib till we had to be hand trucked out of the restaurant.

Lord I miss that restaurant. It was such a good deal and much better than the local Buffet restaurants we have in this area. We have Hometown Buffet and to me that place is decent food but not nearly the quality of the one I spoke so highly of.

Jeff
05-07-2013, 02:34 PM
:puke3:hate the stuff!

You have to come to the south and have real Gumbo you cant find that in NY , stick with pizza up there :laugh:

Abbey Marie
05-07-2013, 02:36 PM
You have to come to the south and have real Gumbo you cant find that in NY , stick with pizza up there :laugh:

:laugh2: And bagels. Don't forget the bagels! IIRC, you were craving those recently.

Jeff
05-07-2013, 02:42 PM
:laugh2: And bagels. Don't forget the bagels! IIRC, you were craving those recently.

Well I finally got my bagels , in fact I had them the last two weekends :laugh: but as my back heals and I am feeling better everyday I see a road trip up to see my sis and brothers and of course have some real food again , but Gumbo and quite a few other ings can fit in the real food category :thumb:

Abbey Marie
05-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Well I finally got my bagels , in fact I had them the last two weekends :laugh: but as my back heals and I am feeling better everyday I see a road trip up to see my sis and brothers and of course have some real food again , but Gumbo and quite a few other ings can fit in the real food category :thumb:

Does Gumbo usually come with whole crayfish on top? Or is it "Crawfish"?

Marcus Aurelius
05-07-2013, 02:48 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/37613746.jpg

jimnyc
05-07-2013, 02:49 PM
I just bought a $375 box of meats from a wholesaler for $130 while in NJ. 10 of the steaks are filet wrapped in bacon. I think like 10 NY strip steaks and 10 strips of another variety. I think 10-15 prime ribs. I think there were about 30 hamburgers which are really steak burgers. A whole assortment for the buck 30.

Something about being flash frozen too. I'm no steak expert, but they say this secures the flavor. But also, no need for thawing out the meat - straight to the grill!! (this is SO not good for my non-existent diet!)

Jeff
05-07-2013, 02:54 PM

I was waiting for someone to question that :laugh: Crawfish is what we have in the south crayfish is what I caught in the brook as a little boy up north :laugh:

But either way my wife didn't use any and I didn't think about it either until now so when Laura gets home it will be a size 10 to the butt :laugh: naaa she only wears like a 4 or something :laugh:

Abbey Marie
05-07-2013, 02:57 PM
I was waiting for someone to question that :laugh: Crawfish is what we have in the south crayfish is what I caught in the brook as a little boy up north :laugh:

But either way my wife didn't use any and I didn't think about it either until now so when Laura gets home it will be a size 10 to the butt :laugh: naaa she only wears like a 4 or something :laugh:

Either way, I can't eat them or even see them on my plate. They look like bugs, and I'm bug-phobic.
However, a big one, aka a lobster, is fine for me. Go figure :laugh2:

Jeff
05-07-2013, 02:59 PM
I just bought a $375 box of meats from a wholesaler for $130 while in NJ. 10 of the steaks are filet wrapped in bacon. I think like 10 NY strip steaks and 10 strips of another variety. I think 10-15 prime ribs. I think there were about 30 hamburgers which are really steak burgers. A whole assortment for the buck 30.

Something about being flash frozen too. I'm no steak expert, but they say this secures the flavor. But also, no need for thawing out the meat - straight to the grill!! (this is SO not good for my non-existent diet!)

Sounds great . we have been looking to buy a freezer but unless I shoot it there aren't that many ( if any ) places around here that have freezer plans, but I can go to the sale barn buy a calf keep him a month and feed his grain then have him butchered ( ok hungry again :laugh: ) and there is a place not far from the house that kills Hogs every Wednesday and you order in advance anything you want even half the pig or the entire thing if ya want, so yes we need a freezer and will get one real soon

jimnyc
05-07-2013, 02:59 PM

Yeah, remember that? We used to go in the creek down by Bradlees and Kmart and catch tons of those suckers. And now you eat them? Yeck! :lol:

jimnyc
05-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Sounds great . we have been looking to buy a freezer but unless I shoot it there aren't that many ( if any ) places around here that have freezer plans, but I can go to the sale barn buy a calf keep him a month and feed his grain then have him butchered ( ok hungry again :laugh: ) and there is a place not far from the house that kills Hogs every Wednesday and you order in advance anything you want even half the pig or the entire thing if ya want, so yes we need a freezer and will get one real soon

Honestly, it's not that great. I got my moneys worth but no way in hell would it be worth the $375. The steaks are all very thin. But what I've had so far sure has tasted good! I had a filet in NJ and a strip for dinner last night. Easy cooking and good eating for a small family though.

Jeff
05-07-2013, 03:02 PM

OOOO before you cook those fillets do you have room in the garage for my bike ? If so hold off cooking them I will be up there as soon as my back can handle that long of a ride and on the way up I will stop and see Red and get breakfast with him got to have some scrapple

jimnyc
05-07-2013, 03:04 PM
OOOO before you cook those fillets do you have room in the garage for my bike ? If so hold off cooking them I will be up there as soon as my back can handle that long of a ride and on the way up I will stop and see Red and get breakfast with him got to have some scrapple

Yeah, we don't really use the garage but for storage, which is a ladder and 3 bicycles. Plenty of room for a few bikes actually.

Jeff
05-07-2013, 03:11 PM
Yeah, remember that? We used to go in the creek down by Bradlees and Kmart and catch tons of those suckers. And now you eat them? Yeck! :lol:

And I can remember feeling like we where in the woods hunting :laugh: but yes they where great times and I had a lot of great times down there

Jeff
05-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Yeah, we don't really use the garage but for storage, which is a ladder and 3 bicycles. Plenty of room for a few bikes actually.

Hell I am not coming now you said the fillets aren't good LOL, naaa when I get there I want to spend a day walking around that little square with all the bakeries and Italian delis , man I could spend a lot of money there

jimnyc
05-07-2013, 03:16 PM
And I can remember feeling like we where in the woods hunting :laugh: but yes they where great times and I had a lot of great times down there

Hell, I used to fish in there when even younger, and the damn polluted creek I don't think ever had more than minnows and crayfish in it. Oh, and there used to be a fair amount of snapping turtles too, more towards Merrill Park.

jimnyc
05-07-2013, 03:18 PM
Hell I am not coming now you said the fillets aren't good LOL, naaa when I get there I want to spend a day walking around that little square with all the bakeries and Italian delis , man I could spend a lot of money there

Bakeries, Italian deli's, pizza, bagels, and now all these steaks. Add in a guy with little to no self control and will power. Can ya blame me for putting on a few pounds? :laugh:

Robert A Whit
05-07-2013, 03:29 PM

Or how about Crawdads?

I grew up as a little okie. We called those things Crawdads. Mom never had us catch any to eat but much later in life I caught some of them and ate them. They tasted much like Lobster to me. Here in CA, I think some people found out about them at the local lake which has a streamlet off of it that actually is virtually standing water. I noticed those critters like that area. My problem with them is they are not very big so to get at the meat is a job and a half. Removing that gut tube was a pain as well. If they could be left alone long enough, perhaps they could grow to a decent size. When I was a boy in the scouts, I found a few streams that had the larger critters but did not see them then as food. I saw them much the same as salamanders or maybe small turtles. I know, but you how kids are. We had a lot of strange ideas.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-07-2013, 03:30 PM

I merely used the correct name not the commonly used name down here. Nobody eats certain ones but the larger ones usually red in color are boiled and eaten , sometimes the head part too. Nasty business in my book but hey people are known to eat worse things.;)

crayfish noun (Concise Encyclopedia)Any of more than 500 species of decapods (http://www.merriam-webster.com/concise/decapod) that are closely related to the lobster (http://www.merriam-webster.com/concise/lobster). Nearly all the species live in freshwater, and over half are found in North America. They have a joined head and thorax (midsection) and a segmented body that is yellow, green, red, or dark brown. The head has a sharp snout, and the eyes are on movable stalks. The exoskeleton is thin but tough, and the front pair of legs have large pincers. Crayfish are usually about 3 in. (7.5 cm) long but range from 1 to 16 in. (2.5–40 cm) long.
Variants of CRAYFISHcrayfish or crawfish or crawdad

Learn More About CRAYFISHSpanish-English Dictionary: (http://www.merriam-webster.com/spanish/crayfish)Translation of "crayfish" (http://www.merriam-webster.com/spanish/crayfish)
Britannica.com: (http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/142047/crayfish)Encyclopedia article about "crayfish" (http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/142047/crayfish)

Robert A Whit
05-07-2013, 04:16 PM
I merely used the correct name not the commonly used name down here. Nobody eats certain ones but the larger ones usually red in color are boiled and eaten , sometimes the head part too. Nasty business in my book but hey people are known to eat worse things.;)

crayfish

noun (Concise Encyclopedia)Any of more than 500 species of decapods (http://www.merriam-webster.com/concise/decapod) that are closely related to the lobster (http://www.merriam-webster.com/concise/lobster). Nearly all the species live in freshwater, and over half are found in North America. They have a joined head and thorax (midsection) and a segmented body that is yellow, green, red, or dark brown. The head has a sharp snout, and the eyes are on movable stalks. The exoskeleton is thin but tough, and the front pair of legs have large pincers. Crayfish are usually about 3 in. (7.5 cm) long but range from 1 to 16 in. (2.5–40 cm) long.
Variants of CRAYFISH

crayfish or crawfish or crawdad

Learn More About CRAYFISH

Spanish-English Dictionary: (http://www.merriam-webster.com/spanish/crayfish)Translation of "crayfish" (http://www.merriam-webster.com/spanish/crayfish)
Britannica.com: (http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/142047/crayfish)Encyclopedia article about "crayfish" (http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/142047/crayfish)

Those in my area seem to be in the 3 inch range. You have to really want to eat them to put in all that time once you caught some. I think the bother is not worth it but keep thinking they taste good and maybe I need to trap some.

Syrenn
05-07-2013, 04:24 PM

lol... who says you cant eat Gumbo for breakfast!

:)

Dilloduck
05-07-2013, 04:49 PM
They're called mudbugs

Syrenn
05-07-2013, 05:18 PM
Those in my area seem to be in the 3 inch range. You have to really want to eat them to put in all that time once you caught some. I think the bother is not worth it but keep thinking they taste good and maybe I need to trap some.

heh, i order them in FedEx from LA, 80 pounds at a time!

Little-Acorn
05-07-2013, 05:20 PM
:laugh: but I am pretty sure Gumbo isn't for breakfast :laugh:

Gumbo has rules?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-07-2013, 05:30 PM

You can if you want to. Many people eat far worse things for breakfast.

Like- these examples. My wife's family tried to get me to eat Balut when I was visiting her in the Philippines. I being too wise to be badgered into eating such vile shit steadfastly refused.

Told them I'd rather eat fried squid, but not even that for breakfast.:laugh:. -Tyr

Casu Marzu

http://www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/casumarzu.jpg (http://www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/casumarzu.jpg)
Sometimes referred to as ‘maggot cheese’, casu marzu is a Sardinian cheese made from goat (http://www.toptenz.net/10-two-headed-animals.php)’s milk. But what makes this food so disgusting is the way it’s prepared. Early in the fermenting process, the larvae of cheese flies are introduced. Over a period of weeks, the larvae hatch and begin feeding. As the cheese’s fats are broken down, a special flavor is produced which many consider to be delicious. When the time comes for human consumption, many people meticulously remove the maggots (http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-bizarre-healing-techniques.php). However, some leave them in, believing that they add an extra flavorful punch.
9. Balut

http://www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/balut.jpg (http://www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/balut.jpg)
If someone placed balut on your plate, you might think they were serving you a hardboiled egg. That is, until you cracked it open and a fully intact duck embryo spilled out. Balut, considered a delicacy in many Asian countries, is produced when fertilized duck eggs are placed in warm sunlight. After about eight days, the eggs are held up to the light and checked to ensure that the budding embryo is ready. Then, the eggs are cooked and served with a dash of salt and a few squirts of lemon juice.

Read more: http://www.toptenz.net/top-ten-grossest-foods.php#ixzz2SeGeYyPC

Jeff
05-07-2013, 05:34 PM

crayfish

noun (Concise Encyclopedia)Any of more than 500 species of decapods (http://www.merriam-webster.com/concise/decapod) that are closely related to the lobster (http://www.merriam-webster.com/concise/lobster). Nearly all the species live in freshwater, and over half are found in North America. They have a joined head and thorax (midsection) and a segmented body that is yellow, green, red, or dark brown. The head has a sharp snout, and the eyes are on movable stalks. The exoskeleton is thin but tough, and the front pair of legs have large pincers. Crayfish are usually about 3 in. (7.5 cm) long but range from 1 to 16 in. (2.5–40 cm) long.
Variants of CRAYFISH

crayfish or crawfish or crawdad

Learn More About CRAYFISH

Spanish-English Dictionary: (http://www.merriam-webster.com/spanish/crayfish)Translation of "crayfish" (http://www.merriam-webster.com/spanish/crayfish)

TYR if ya want to truly be a southerner ya have to rip the head off eat the tail of course but then suck the contents out of the head :laugh: I have done it , it is so so

I would truly like to go to Louisiana and try the real deal they do look good

Jeff
05-07-2013, 05:36 PM

My stomach :laugh:

seriously I use to wake up to a beer and clams on the half shell for breakfast guess I am getting old :laugh:

hjmick
05-07-2013, 05:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbt1RtXNDsQ

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-07-2013, 05:44 PM
TYR if ya want to truly be a southerner ya have to rip the head off eat the tail of course but then suck the contents out of the head :laugh: I have done it , it is so so

I would truly like to go to Louisiana and try the real deal they do look good

No thanks, head sucking never was in my bag of tricks. My pals used to laugh at me for refusing the suck out the contents of the "crawdead 's" head.
HELL ONLY ATE THE TAIL SECTION OF THE LITTLE BOILED BUGGERS ONCE WHEN DRUNKER THAN COOTER BROWN ON A FRIDAY NIGHT SHINDIGG...:laugh2:
They didn't impress me and I remember a muddy fishy taste. Never touched them after that.
All my brothers swear they are great! I have 6 brothers..3 sisters love 'em, one sister hates 'em.

Robert A Whit
05-07-2013, 05:50 PM
heh, i order them in FedEx from LA, 80 pounds at a time!

I know nothing about the size of them in LA and suspect our CA variety are simply smaller. Thanks for the tip.

Robert A Whit
05-07-2013, 05:54 PM
You can if you want to. Many people eat far worse things for breakfast.

Like- these examples. My wife's family tried to get me to eat Balut when I was visiting her in the Philippines. I being too wise to be badgered into eating such vile shit steadfastly refused.

Told them I'd rather eat fried squid, but not even that for breakfast.:laugh:. -Tyr

Casu Marzu

http://www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/casumarzu.jpg (http://www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/casumarzu.jpg)
Sometimes referred to as ‘maggot cheese’, casu marzu is a Sardinian cheese made from goat (http://www.toptenz.net/10-two-headed-animals.php)’s milk. But what makes this food so disgusting is the way it’s prepared. Early in the fermenting process, the larvae of cheese flies are introduced. Over a period of weeks, the larvae hatch and begin feeding. As the cheese’s fats are broken down, a special flavor is produced which many consider to be delicious. When the time comes for human consumption, many people meticulously remove the maggots (http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-bizarre-healing-techniques.php). However, some leave them in, believing that they add an extra flavorful punch.
9. Balut

http://www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/balut.jpg (http://www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/balut.jpg)
If someone placed balut on your plate, you might think they were serving you a hardboiled egg. That is, until you cracked it open and a fully intact duck embryo spilled out. Balut, considered a delicacy in many Asian countries, is produced when fertilized duck eggs are placed in warm sunlight. After about eight days, the eggs are held up to the light and checked to ensure that the budding embryo is ready. Then, the eggs are cooked and served with a dash of salt and a few squirts of lemon juice.

Read more: http://www.toptenz.net/top-ten-grossest-foods.php#ixzz2SeGeYyPC

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-07-2013, 06:30 PM

If I had been dumb enough to have ate that nasty crap I'd puked it up for sure.
They say when eating balut you crunch the bones and taste the feathers too. Burst the little bird's head and eat the brains as well.. Freaking nasty ...:cuckoo:

Dilloduck
05-08-2013, 08:39 AM
No thanks, head sucking never was in my bag of tricks. My pals used to laugh at me for refusing the suck out the contents of the "crawdead 's" head.
HELL ONLY ATE THE TAIL SECTION OF THE LITTLE BOILED BUGGERS ONCE WHEN DRUNKER THAN COOTER BROWN ON A FRIDAY NIGHT SHINDIGG...:laugh2:
They didn't impress me and I remember a muddy fishy taste. Never touched them after that.
All my brothers swear they are great! I have 6 brothers..3 sisters love 'em, one sister hates 'em.

The key to a good mudbug boil is purging those buggers for a day or so before you boil em. I buy em by the sack--hose em down real well ( local car wash works good :thumb:) and then leave them in open ice chests and continue to rinse them every four hours or so. If they still taste muddy, you did it wrong.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-08-2013, 09:27 AM
The key to a good mudbug boil is purging those buggers for a day or so before you boil em. I buy em by the sack--hose em down real well ( local car wash works good :thumb:) and then leave them in open ice chests and continue to rinse them every four hours or so. If they still taste muddy, you did it wrong.

I've never cook them. Those I ate were at another friend of a friend's weekend party back then. I know other people were eating them and enjoying so perhaps it was just me and my taste revolting against the flavor of the little buggers. I know lots of people swear how good they are so I do not criticise that. They just arent for me.. -Tyr