PDA

View Full Version : Catholic school fires teacher after name of same-sex partner appears in obituary

Marcus Aurelius
05-07-2013, 08:11 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/07/ohio-catholic-school-fires-teacher-after-name-her-same-sex-partner-reportedly/?test=latestnews

A female teacher at a Catholic high school in Ohio who was fired after the name of her same-sex partner appeared in her mother’s obituary is reportedly fighting to get her job back.

The Plain Dealer reports that Carla Hale, 57, a longtime physical education teacher at Bishop Watterson High School in Columbus, was informed by the school principal that she was terminated for being in a homosexual relationship — and not for being gay.
"Your written spousal relationship violates the moral laws of the Catholic Church," Bishop Watterson High School Principal Marian Hutson wrote to Hale in a March 28 letter.

Hale was informed by the school that she violated a contract between the diocese and a union representing Catholic teachers, specifically a section that indicates teachers can be fired for "immorality."

Now, if this firing is upheld, as I think it will be... how is this any different than the recent florist case where she refused to provide flowers for a gay couples wedding? The church is claiming the relationship is against church teachings, and so is the florist. Why can a church exercise its freedom of religion, but an individual cannot?

fj1200
05-07-2013, 08:21 AM
Now, if this firing is upheld, as I think it will be... how is this any different than the recent florist case where she refused to provide flowers for a gay couples wedding? The church is claiming the relationship is against church teachings, and so is the florist. Why can a church exercise its freedom of religion, but an individual cannot?

I'm sure it will be but the rules are different for religious institutions unfortunately. Very little property rights when it comes to engaging in commerce.

jimnyc
05-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Catholic entities have a LOT more leeway when it comes to "legal discrimination" and are basically allowed to set their own rules/guidelines based on their faith. Public businesses don't have the same luxury.

Marcus Aurelius
05-07-2013, 08:29 AM
Catholic entities have a LOT more leeway when it comes to "legal discrimination" and are basically allowed to set their own rules/guidelines based on their faith. Public businesses don't have the same luxury.

double standards suck.

jimnyc
05-07-2013, 08:33 AM
double standards suck.

Agreed - but the alternative is having faith allowed to dictate public businesses or public rules allowed to rule in faith based institutions. (personally, I still say, a business owner should be free to do business with anyone he/she wants, or doesn't want to - and a shopper is free to shop anywhere, or not shop somewhere).

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-07-2013, 08:40 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/07/ohio-catholic-school-fires-teacher-after-name-her-same-sex-partner-reportedly/?test=latestnews

The firing has to be upheld or else the muslim religious restrictions must go too. Can't have that now can we?:laugh:

revelarts
05-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Would it be illegal for a florist to sell to a satanist who says he's going to use the flowers in an invocation of the devil ceremony?
with a sacrifice of a rabbit to Satan, or Baal?
Is a Christian Obligated to make the sale?

If a bigamist in Utah wanted to buy flowers for his 3rd wedding would a Christian be obligated to sell?
If a Prostitute wants to rent a room to work in, in Las Vegas, is a Christian motel owner obligated to rent?
If Klansman says he wants to buy a some fabric to make his hood, is a Jewish man legally obligated to sell it to him?
Is a pharmacist obligated to sell abortion Meds, if it's against his faith?

To me if the use appears clearly immoral to the seller, for religious or safety reasons, they are whiten there rights to not to sell. Where that line is drawn may be pushed back on and misused , no doubt, but the alternative at this point seems more criminal IMO.

However Christian may end being put in jail, losing businesses or losing careers for NOT helping promote immoral and dangerous behavior. world loves it's sinnin, often gets pissed at people trying to do right.

Marcus Aurelius
05-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Would it be illegal for a florist to sell to a satanist who says he's going to use the flowers in an invocation of the devil ceremony?
with a sacrifice of a rabbit to Satan, or Baal?
Is a Christian Obligated to make the sale?

If a bigamist in Utah wanted to buy flowers for his 3rd wedding would a Christian be obligated to sell?
If a Prostitute wants to rent a room to work in, in Las Vegas, is a Christian motel owner obligated to rent?
If Klansman says he wants to buy a some fabric to make his hood, is a Jewish man legally obligated to sell it to him?
Is a pharmacist obligated to sell abortion Meds, if it's against his faith?

To me if the use appears clearly immoral to the seller, for religious or safety reasons, they are whiten there rights to not to sell. Where that line is drawn may be pushed back on and misused , no doubt, but the alternative at this point seems more criminal IMO.

However Christian may end being put in jail, losing businesses or losing careers for NOT helping promote immoral and dangerous behavior. world loves it's sinnin, often gets pissed at people trying to do right.

Not if she'll be working in the room, as within the city limits, prostitution is illegal.:poke:

revelarts
05-07-2013, 09:53 AM
Not if she'll be working in the room, as within the city limits, prostitution is illegal.:poke:

ooooh, my bad.

Marcus Aurelius
05-07-2013, 10:07 AM
ooooh, my bad.

Not that I know this through personal experience or anything... :wink2: