PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Grader Suspended for Making ‘Gun Noises’ With a Pencil

red states rule
05-08-2013, 04:07 AM
No wonder the public school system is so f'd up. When will these idiots let kids be kids?

In the latest case of a youth being punished for what used to be considered innocuous child’s play, a second grader at Driver Elementary in Virginia has been suspended for two days for making gun noises while pointing a pencil, WAVY-TV reports (http://www.fox43tv.com/dpps/news/local/boy-who-held-pencil-like-gun-suspended_6109580).

The boy’s father explained: “When I asked him about it, he said, ‘Well I was being a Marine and the other guy was being a bad guy’…It’s as simple as that.”

Paul Marshall, the father of the suspended 7-year-old Christopher Marshall, is a former Marine.

A spokesperson for Suffolk Public Schools, Bethanne Bradshaw, explained: “A pencil is a weapon when it is pointed at someone in a threatening way and gun noises are made.”

“Some children would consider it threatening, who are scared about shootings in schools or shootings in the community,” she continued, adding that kids think more about school shootings these days ‘Cowboys and Indians.’”

But the boy’s father pointed out that his son is in good academic standing, has never been in trouble before and, according to the boy’s teacher, stopped pointing the pencil when asked. At some point, Paul Marshall argued, there needs to be “what used to be called common sense.”

“He’s just being a typical boy; you’re taking away his imagination,” he said. “Enough is enough. I mean where do you draw the line? You know — a pencil? Was it sharpened, was it not? Is it a No. 2? I mean, what’s the big deal?”

Sitting on a swing with a camouflage hat, the boy said: “I was playing. I’m sorry and stuff.”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/05/07/2nd-grader-suspended-for-making-gun-noises-with-a-pencil-after-pretending-to-be-a-marine-like-his-dad/

CSM
05-08-2013, 10:57 AM
.... Bethanne Bradshaw, explained: “A pencil is a weapon when it is pointed at someone in a threatening way and gun noises are made.”

Really??? I guess by that logic a car seat becomes a Porsche when a baby says "vroom vroom" while occupying it and an idiot becomes a teacher when declaring it so.

jimnyc
05-08-2013, 11:04 AM
I am ever so glad the schools are there to protect the others from that violent pencil. Now how are all of the children going to write when they ban pencils? :)

I know the times are different, but being a kid shouldn't be. If anything, I think secluding them from being a kid and doing what kids do is more harmful. If these types of activities and goofing around harms the kids, or turns them into gun toting nutcases - then millions of mass murderers came into the world in the 70's and 80's when I was in school!

Marcus Aurelius
05-08-2013, 12:08 PM
So, which will they want to ban now? Pencils, or 2nd graders?

Voted4Reagan
05-08-2013, 01:12 PM

We need Pencil Control!!!

Marcus Aurelius
05-08-2013, 01:38 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=636523#post636523)

bullets have lead... bullets kill people.

pencils have lead... ergo, pencils kill people.

Solution: Ban pencils

aboutime
05-08-2013, 01:38 PM

How bout BANNING Teachers, Principles, and Administrators who practice Political Correctness?

WAIT! We can't do that. The kids would be staring at blank desks, and walls in empty school buildings.

This is all part of the greater NEA plans to dominate education with IGNORANCE, and STUPIDITY run by a union.

And sadly. It's working because American parents really don't care as long as somebody else is minding their kids.

Marcus Aurelius
05-08-2013, 01:43 PM
How bout BANNING Teachers, Principles, and Administrators who practice Political Correctness?

political Correctness doesn't kill people... PENCILS DO!!

BAN PENCILS!!!!!!!!!!!!:salute:

Kathianne
05-08-2013, 08:01 PM
political Correctness doesn't kill people... PENCILS DO!!

BAN PENCILS!!!!!!!!!!!!:salute:

I'm more of the mode of making grown-ups acting as such. Ban zero tolerance laws and rules. Make administrators responsible.

jafar00
05-09-2013, 12:12 AM
With it being easy getting a gun in the US (his dad probably has a few) and with school massacres being a constant threat, I am not surprised at this.

red states rule
05-09-2013, 02:18 AM

Yea, the kid is very threatening isn't he?

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Screen-Shot-2013-05-07-at-2.17.34-PM-620x393.png

red states rule
05-09-2013, 02:19 AM
I'm more of the mode of making grown-ups acting as such. Ban zero tolerance laws and rules. Make administrators responsible.

That may happen Kat when those same administrators (and some teachers) stop pushing the liberal agenda and get back to educating the kids

Missileman
05-09-2013, 05:28 AM
With it being easy getting a gun in the US (his dad probably has a few) and with school massacres being a constant threat, I am not surprised at this.

The kid had a pencil (much easier to get than a gun here in the US, btw) and was engaging in a game of IMAGINATION. I am however not surprised that you're surprised. The vast majority of your posts could have been written by this idiot teacher suffering from common sense deficiency.

Nukeman
05-09-2013, 06:06 AM
Really... A "constant" threat?? Wow you must know a differnt US than I do. Our schools are some of the safest places for students. and if you note world wide we have much fewer deaths of ours than other countries..

At least here it is a lunatic and not some "official" who is in charge of "decency/modesty" and don't allow young girls to excape a burning building because *gasp* some Mulim man cant control himself if he sees their hair!!!!!!!! If you are going to throw stones at least try not to live in a glass house will ya!!!!!!!!

Marcus Aurelius
05-09-2013, 07:03 AM

you are a moron. You have no proof his father owns even a single gun. He might, he might not. As for 'constant threat', that is a false statement as well. Typical of you.

If the kid had screamed "Allahu Akbar!!!', you'd now be whining about religious persecution.

aboutime
05-09-2013, 02:34 PM

Once again jafar. Your stupidity, and ignorance has preceded you, and your hypocrisy here.

Voted4Reagan
05-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Bet I could kill someone with just a sharpened pencil...

Kids lucky he wasnt arrested for having a Dangerous weapon as the Administrators probably wanted...

which is the Deadly weapon of the following 3 Items

Pencil

Shoelace

Leg of Lamb

answer:

ALL OF THEM... you can be killed by all of them

aboutime
05-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Bet I could kill someone with just a sharpened pencil...

Kids lucky he wasnt arrested for having a Dangerous weapon as the Administrators probably wanted...

which is the Deadly weapon of the following 3 Items

Pencil

Shoelace

Leg of Lamb

answer:

ALL OF THEM... you can be killed by all of them

V4R. No doubt. Everyone here knows ALL OF THOSE items can kill.
What is lost in all of this is Common Sense, Logic, Intelligence, and Human Thinking....BEFORE everything else.
But. Since it appears none of what I listed is being used.
IDIOTS prevail.

tailfins
05-09-2013, 07:26 PM

If were going to get that draconian, just have kids go to virtual school. My sons are tired of walking on eggshells. I told my oldest if he makes honor roll, he can go to virtual school. That may even incentivize my youngest to make honor roll as well. I don't know which side of the border we will live next school year, but either way, my oldest will likely not dealing with this politically correct crap anymore.

Here are descriptions of the virtual schools:
NH: http://vlacs.org/
MA: http://www.k12.com/mava/#.UYw-YMpsJ8E

red states rule
05-10-2013, 04:27 AM
http://622494930271648021.weebly.com/uploads/1/2/6/6/12662369/666064271.jpg?352

logroller
05-10-2013, 05:15 AM

Pencils have graphite, not lead. If I was to correlate guns and pencil restrictions I'd say pencils should be restricted to, say, 10 words before resharpening. Dont get me started on automatic pencils-- there's no legitimate use for such things. You know, when the country was founded they never could have imagined such-- they were still using quills-- times change.

Voted4Reagan
05-10-2013, 06:16 AM
Pencils have graphite, not lead. If I was to correlate guns and pencil restrictions I'd say pencils should be restricted to, say, 10 words before resharpening. Dont get me started on automatic pencils-- there's no legitimate use for such things. You know, when the country was founded they never could have imagined such-- they were still using quills-- times change.

so my automatic self feeding drafting pencils must be some kind of ASSAULT PENCIL.

Making them Ban Worthy...

CSM
05-10-2013, 06:47 AM
so my automatic self feeding drafting pencils must be some kind of ASSAULT PENCIL.

They also have replaceable erasers in some cases which makes them even more lethal!

Marcus Aurelius
05-10-2013, 06:53 AM
If were going to get that draconian, just have kids go to virtual school....

Then they'd have IP banned him to suspend him.

aboutime
05-10-2013, 01:50 PM

Another Grammar Cop ALERT. Look out everyone. Logroller is proving how self-proclaimed intelligence, and Knit-picking makes a fool.

Robert A Whit
05-11-2013, 01:41 AM
No wonder the public school system is so f'd up. When will these idiots let kids be kids?

Crap, at some schools years ago, the kids toted guns with them to school in case they could kill a rabbit or squirrel for dinner.

logroller
05-11-2013, 02:19 PM

Ostensibly.

logroller
05-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Another Grammar Cop ALERT. Look out everyone. Logroller is proving how self-proclaimed intelligence, and Knit-picking makes a fool.
That wasn't even a grammatical issue; yet again you prove how desperate you are to be heard. Go back to the fourth grade, this site is for adults.

aboutime
05-11-2013, 08:43 PM
That wasn't even a grammatical issue; yet again you prove how desperate you are to be heard. Go back to the fourth grade, this site is for adults.

Be happy to. As soon as you Pre-schooler's leave the cafeteria.

Trinity
05-12-2013, 08:12 AM

WAIT! We can't do that. The kids would be staring at blank desks, and walls in empty school buildings.

This is all part of the greater NEA plans to dominate education with IGNORANCE, and STUPIDITY run by a union.

And sadly. It's working because American parents really don't care as long as somebody else is minding their kids.

No they wouldn't, kids who are left to their own devices will educate themselves. They will pursue they are own interests and learn about all kinds of things in the process.

I think most people would be surprised at how much kids will learn on their own, when they are not stuck in a classroom and forced to "learn" someones else's curriculum to pass a test.

And I would have to agree with most parents don't care and don't want to deal with their own children. Which always made me wonder, if you don't want to raise and deal with your own kids, then why have kids?

aboutime
05-12-2013, 08:51 PM
No they wouldn't, kids who are left to their own devices will educate themselves. They will pursue they are own interests and learn about all kinds of things in the process.

I think most people would be surprised at how much kids will learn on their own, when they are not stuck in a classroom and forced to "learn" someones else's curriculum to pass a test.

And I would have to agree with most parents don't care and don't want to deal with their own children. Which always made me wonder, if you don't want to raise and deal with your own kids, then why have kids?

Trinity. I said that 'tongue-in-cheek. Personally. Our five grandchildren prove your statement about children left to their own devices. Children in general are inquisitive and always looking to learn...even if they deny doing it. This is why I believe the PUBLIC failure of education, as supposedly taught by DIE-HARD, Union member, phony teachers is working 180 out from what most parents would like to know about their children, and education.
And when you mentioned curriculum. Most of us are aware how the Liberal agenda is intentionally being Downloaded to our children who attend large numbers of Liberally controlled public school systems.
The future of the nation is threatened, but what threatens them more is..Home Schooling, and Charter schools.
They lose control and the Union doesn't get to determine that Liberal Agenda called a curriculum.

Marcus Aurelius
05-12-2013, 11:14 PM

You know pencils have graphite.. I know pencils have graphite... pretty much everyone knows they have graphite.

But, I'd be willing to bet the phrase 'lead pencil' is uttered more often in schools than 'graphite pencil'. It's like Xerox and copy... jacuzzi and hot tub. People are just used to saying one over the other, regardless of which is actually technically correct.

logroller
05-13-2013, 02:27 AM
You know pencils have graphite.. I know pencils have graphite... pretty much everyone knows they have graphite.

But, I'd be willing to bet the phrase 'lead pencil' is uttered more often in schools than 'graphite pencil'. It's like Xerox and copy... jacuzzi and hot tub. People are just used to saying one over the other, regardless of which is actually technically correct.
Regardless of what "people are used to saying", its still ignorant. When graphite was first used they actually thought it was a form of lead, now we know its not, it's a form of carbon. In modern parlance, a xerox is a copy, just as a Coke is a cola; but so too is cocaine referred to as coke. Yet if one were to equate a soda with cocaine; such is clearly ignorant; the comparison, despite the namesake, would be false. Now if you know it to be false and say it anyways, then the issue is not merely the technical issue of not knowing, but that of willful ignorance. I take issue with ignorance because I see that actions based on bad information tend towards bad results, and actions taken on good information tend toward good results. I just sought to enlighten, but if you will yourself to promulgate bad information, then so be it.

red states rule
05-13-2013, 02:30 AM
Bottom line is, the idiots in charge of the school overreacted. They are to interested in pushing the liberal agenda and are not allowing kids to be kids

BillyBob
05-13-2013, 07:59 PM

At least they didn't pull his finger.

aboutime
05-13-2013, 08:07 PM

Marcus. Most all of us know by now. It doesn't matter how you spell something, or describe it as a part of the vernacular of common speech among common people. Somebody like Logroller always has to declare EVERYONE else is always wrong because they just don't happen to follow the DEMANDS of the One Perfect Human being...who refuses to be exposed as just another, common, being.
If you disagree, say anything wrong, spell, or speak, think, or have thoughts that people like LOG always must find a reason to argue about. We threaten their otherwise miserable...lonely, possibly mentally challenged life.

Marcus Aurelius
05-13-2013, 10:23 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=637533#post637533)

Regardless of what "people are used to saying", its still ignorant. When graphite was first used they actually thought it was a form of lead, now we know its not, it's a form of carbon. In modern parlance, a xerox is a copy, just as a Coke is a cola; but so too is cocaine referred to as coke. Yet if one were to equate a soda with cocaine; such is clearly ignorant; the comparison, despite the namesake, would be false. Now if you know it to be false and say it anyways, then the issue is not merely the technical issue of not knowing, but that of willful ignorance. I take issue with ignorance because I see that actions based on bad information tend towards bad results, and actions taken on good information tend toward good results. I just sought to enlighten, but if you will yourself to promulgate bad information, then so be it.

No, you sought to be a condescending dickhead. You achieved that goal.

Marcus Aurelius
05-13-2013, 10:24 PM
Marcus. Most all of us know by now. It doesn't matter how you spell something, or describe it as a part of the vernacular of common speech among common people. Somebody like Logroller always has to declare EVERYONE else is always wrong because they just don't happen to follow the DEMANDS of the One Perfect Human being...who refuses to be exposed as just another, common, being.
If you disagree, say anything wrong, spell, or speak, think, or have thoughts that people like LOG always must find a reason to argue about. We threaten their otherwise miserable...lonely, possibly mentally challenged life.

yes, to him the argument over graphite vs. lead is the main point of this thread. sad, really.

red states rule
05-14-2013, 02:48 AM
http://gunfreezone.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/anti-gun-bingo.gif

actsnoblemartin
05-14-2013, 03:35 AM
in other news stupidity by (school) administrators rose 10% :rolleyes:

red states rule
05-14-2013, 03:45 AM
in other news stupidity by (school) administrators rose 10% :rolleyes:

10% of nothing is still nothing

actsnoblemartin
05-14-2013, 03:46 AM
hahahahahahaha

:lol:

red states rule
05-14-2013, 04:10 AM
Today's public schools may not educate the kids in what is needed to be successful in life - but they do make many good liberals

aboutime
05-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Today's public schools may not educate the kids in what is needed to be successful in life - but they do make many good liberals

red states rule. That is also another reason why I think Conservatives/Republicans should just SHUT UP about abortion, and let ROE V. WADE exist without interruption.

Just think of the number of FEWER democrats born if Democrats keep insisting that abortion is good. It's almost a WIN-WIN!