PDA

View Full Version : Well now the test is on

Jeff
05-08-2013, 07:48 AM
As many of you know I recently had surgery on my back to relieve chronic pain , due to the Chronic pain I am on a host of pain meds and have been for a few years , well the Doc told me the surgery would be considered a success if I could get off half of the meds

I am presently on 30Mg of oxycodone 3 to 4 times a day I have always stuck with 3 times a day except the first week after surgery , well I went to the Doc and he said we will come down slow he cut me to 20Mg 3 times a day and I have been doing that for a couple days now but the night time I feel a lot of pain, I hope this is due to trying to come off of the meds and I guess time will tell but it confuses me that while during the day I feel ok but at night I am hurting real bad

I am also on 40Mg of extended release Morphine twice a day and the Doc told me what we will do is next month drop that some and switch back and forth every month until we get to where we need to be, me I am wanting off of all of it but I am afraid if I am feeling pain ( and bad pain at that ) I may not be able to

So please keep me in your prayers or any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Jeff

jimnyc
05-08-2013, 07:55 AM
We'll talk about this later, Jeff. Take it REAL slow if you can. Coming off of these things can be hell in itself, never mind the pain.

aboutime
05-08-2013, 02:17 PM
As many of you know I recently had surgery on my back to relieve chronic pain , due to the Chronic pain I am on a host of pain meds and have been for a few years , well the Doc told me the surgery would be considered a success if I could get off half of the meds

I am presently on 30Mg of oxycodone 3 to 4 times a day I have always stuck with 3 times a day except the first week after surgery , well I went to the Doc and he said we will come down slow he cut me to 20Mg 3 times a day and I have been doing that for a couple days now but the night time I feel a lot of pain, I hope this is due to trying to come off of the meds and I guess time will tell but it confuses me that while during the day I feel ok but at night I am hurting real bad

I am also on 40Mg of extended release Morphine twice a day and the Doc told me what we will do is next month drop that some and switch back and forth every month until we get to where we need to be, me I am wanting off of all of it but I am afraid if I am feeling pain ( and bad pain at that ) I may not be able to

Thanks
Jeff

Jeff. I know what you are feeling, and have gone through. I had twin surgeries T-2..T-3, and a year later L-3 and 4.
The pain will go away. Don't let the meds make you a junkie. They can make you dependent. Be strong.
If your doc says it was a success. The need for all of those pain meds goes away...IF YOU LET IT.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-08-2013, 06:03 PM

Thanks
Jeff

I had a deep romance with pain pills for better part of 6 years back in my mid twenties. Trust me you don't want to go there. Some people find they can't break away once there. Was tough for me but I made a clean break many decades ago. Just force yourself to stay on the least amount of pain med that you can stand. Then as your body adjusts it gets better and soon you are far from the addiction train.. Take care..-Tyr

Syrenn
05-08-2013, 10:45 PM
lets call this what it is.

You will be doing detox and withdraw.

go SLOW! coming off the drugs will be hard and a different kind of pain.... but hang in there!!!! You can beat this.

Jeff
05-09-2013, 12:14 AM
I appreciate the comments , my goal is to get off of these dam pills all together hell thats why I had the surgery , I am willing to go threw the detox and pain that it will take but my worries are this stimulator placed in my back wont take enough of the pain away to get off them all together and that is my main goal, I was worried about posting this here but at the same time hoped maybe some would of been through it and might understand so yes the comments are very helpful

My Doc tells me it will take a while to do so , he says come down real slow and it isnt near as bad , I have trusted him to get me this far so I will keep doing so, its funny I actually was on 30Mg four times a day for the last week or so I went back to three a day a couple days before we dropped the dosage to 20Mg 3 times a day and only feel bad at night so the Doc just may now what he is talking about :laugh:

But if I act like a ass in the near future understand where I am coming from :rolleyes: aaa hell most know I act like a ass most of the time anyway :laugh: but thank you for the replies

red states rule
05-09-2013, 02:28 AM

Thanks
Jeff

Good luck ol' buddy and hang in threre

If you are like Jim, this should cheer you up

Now this is nurse!!!

http://cdn.uncoached.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Sexy_Nurses_16-465x281.jpg

logroller
05-09-2013, 03:26 AM
Been there, kicked that. That oxy is a powerful drug. Broke my wrist last year and shazaam, Percocet took the pain away, along with my ability to think straight and move my bowels regularly. As I'm sure you can understand, the pain I experienced rendered me pretty much useless anyways; even doing nothing was excruciating; oxy numbed that, so...whatever. A curious poison that stuff is. I was only on them for a hazy month or two at 4x 5mg day (actually it was 4x 5/350, oxy/Tylenol) but i was hooked, no doubt about it. I weened myself off, halving the dosage like you mentioned, but even without the breakthrough pain it wasn't easy. I lapsed back twice in the first week. Just keep your mind on the long-term goal: tell yourself everyday that you'll kick it and don't let a day where you step back up get you down. It'll take time and determination but you can do it. Best wishes bro.

red states rule
05-09-2013, 03:30 AM
Been there, kicked that. That oxy is a powerful drug. Broke my wrist last year and shazaam, Percocet took the pain away, along with my ability to think straight and move my bowels regularly. As I'm sure you can understand, the pain I experienced rendered me pretty much useless anyways; even doing nothing was excruciating; oxy numbed that, so...whatever. A curious poison that stuff is. I was only on them for a hazy month or two at 4x 5mg day (actually it was 4x 5/350, oxy/Tylenol) but i was hooked, no doubt about it. I weened myself off, halving the dosage like you mentioned, but even without the breakthrough pain it wasn't easy. I lapsed back twice in the first week. Just keep your mind on the long-term goal: tell yourself everyday that you'll kick it and don't let a day where you step back up get you down. It'll take time and determination but you can do it. Best wishes bro.

When I was going thru cancer treatments I was on many drugs. Did not get hooked but came close

Some things you have to let run their course and take it one day at a time