PDA

View Full Version : 4 killed in bombing of a New York tavern...

revelarts
05-09-2013, 12:07 PM
4 Dead... a tremendous explosion rocked the building, sending shivers up to the 60th floor cafeteria of the nearby Chase Manhattan Bank building. Firefighters found a scene of “utter havoc,” with blood- and dust-covered men and women, many in business attire, writhing in agony in the streets, or shrieking under piles of rubble, or wandering about with stunned, blank eyes....

There was a time when American terrorists moved to a Latin beat. Puerto Rican Independence was the song, and it had been pulsing in the background for decades.
On Friday, Jan. 24, 1975, it exploded onto center stage.

The place was Fraunces Tavern, the historic red- and yellow-brick restaurant on Pearl St. where, as any tour book will tell you, that most famous of American freedom fighters, George Washington (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/George+Washington), said farewell to his officers in 1783.
History would again be made at the tavern on a mild winter day 192 years later.
A lively crowd of Wall Streeters and business executives were having lunch in the Anglers and Tarpon Club, in a second floor dining room adjacent to the main building. Among them were Harold H. Sherburne (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Harold+Sherburne), 66, whose career on Wall Street spanned four decades, and a young banker, Frank Connor (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Frank+Connor), 33, who had worked his way up over 15 years from clerk to assistant vice president at Morgan Guaranty Trust. Two executives, James Gezork (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/James+Gezork), 32, of Wilmington, Del., and Alejandro Berger (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Alejandro+Berger), 28, who worked for a Philadelphia-based chemical company, had traveled to New York for business meetings.
It would be their last meal.
At 1:29 p.m., a tremendous explosion rocked the building, sending shivers up to the 60th floor cafeteria of the nearby Chase Manhattan Bank building. Firefighters found a scene of “utter havoc,” with blood- and dust-covered men and women, many in business attire, writhing in agony in the streets, or shrieking under piles of rubble, or wandering about with stunned, blank eyes.

Sherburne, Connor and Berger died on the spot. Gezork lost his fight for life later at the hospital.
Within 15 minutes — even as, the News noted, “dazed and screaming victims, one of them with an arm torn off, were being carried away” — the Associated Press received a phone call. The caller boasted that the bomb was the handiwork of the FALN, the Armed Forces of Puerto Rican National Liberation, radicals devoted to using violence to free the island from the grips of the United States.
In a note police found in a phone booth nearby, the FALN wrote, “we … take full responsibility for the especially detornated (sic) bomb that exploded today at Fraunces Tavern, with reactionary corporate executives inside.”
The note explained that the bomb — roughly 10 pounds of dynamite that had been crammed into an attaché case and slipped into the tavern’s entrance hallway — was retaliation for the “CIA ordered bomb” that killed three and injured 11, one a child, in a restaurant in Puerto Rico.

“You have unleashed a storm from which you comfortable Yankis (sic) cannot escape,” the writers warned.
Few Americans had heard of the group or its gripes before, even though the question of Puerto Rican independence had been long debated. FALN saw violence as the only path to freedom, despite the views of Puerto Rican voters, who consistently favored maintaining U.S. ties.
Witnesses said they saw two Hispanic men running from the scene just before the explosion, but police could not find them, and the investigation stalled.

More bombings followed here, including one in the Mobil Building on 42nd St. that killed an attorney, and in Chicago, Washington, D.C., Newark and Miami. Over the next nine years, FALN would take credit for more than 130 bombings that killed six, and maimed and injured scores of victims.

Each time the terrorists evaded capture.
Investigators had nothing until July 12, 1978, when another explosion uncovered an FALN “bomb factory,” in a two-room apartment in Queens.
William Morales (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/William+Morales), an FALN explosives expert, had been building a pipe bomb when something went wrong. Three-quarters of his face, six teeth, his right eye, and all but one of his fingers, a thumb, were blown off.
No firm evidence could be found to link Morales to the Fraunces Tavern attack, but his possession of the explosives — including 70 sticks of dynamite — earned him a jail sentence of 89 years.
He did not serve much time. Although he had no fingers and just one eye, Morales somehow managed to escape from Bellevue Hospital’s prison ward by using an ACE bandage to lower himself 40 feet to the ground. He fled to Mexico, and then to Cuba, where he remains, free, to this day.
No one was ever tried for planting the Fraunces Tavern bomb, although in the early 1980s, 16 FALN members, including one of the leaders, Oscar Lopez-Rivera (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Oscar+Lopez-Rivera), were arrested and convicted of plotting to overthrow the government, weapons possession, and other charges. In 1999, President Bill Clinton (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Bill+Clinton) made the highly controversial decision, which was opposed by the FBI and other law-enforcement agencies and Clinton’s own wife, to offer clemency for FALN prisoners. His rationale: The punishments, long prison sentences of 70 or more years, did not fit the crimes.
Lopez-Rivera, who turned down Clinton’s offer, is the last FALN member still behind bars. Attending his January 2011 parole hearing was a small group of victims of FALN terrorists, led by Joseph Connor (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Joseph+Connor). He was 9 years old when his father died over lunch at Fraunces Tavern.
Lopez-Rivera’s bid for parole was denied and he will not be eligible again until 2021. “Finally,” Connor said in a presentation at the National Press Club in June, “some justice for our father, Frank Connor, and other victims of the FALN.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/justice-story-faln-bomb-kills-4-fraunces-tavern-george-washington-farewell-troops-article-1.1008711?pgno=1#ixzz2SoYbgYUQ

Over 130 bombings multiple people killed scores wounded. Mutiple cities.

But
No cities Shut Down,
No para military armed LEOs at ever door demanding to be let in to search.
No one being tossed from their homes.

I don't think any of that was done after the Oklahoma city bombing either.

Why are paniced out of minds over this Boston tragedy, to Shut down the freaking city over presure cookers and 2 kids with hand guns?! Toss the 4th amendment in the trash over it?!?

It's overkill in the extreme to think that all of that Boston area actions were called for, much less all legally justified.

Seems like the terrorist get some extra victory when we allow them this much power over our lives and show this level of panic.

I think the country needs to step back and get some perspective, and maybe shake some of the 911 PTSS I think we have.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/national/other-deadly-bombings/nXM4X/

Drummond
05-09-2013, 12:27 PM
My basic reaction to this from Revelarts is to broadly agree with the position taken.

But I need to emphasise .. BROAD agreement. With maybe a qualification or two.

I posted on another thread that the 7/7 bombings in London only led to our public transport system being closed down for a handful of hours. We felt no need to put an entire city into 'lockdown', or anything like it. It would've been overkill to try.

I think that holds true for most if not all attacks on cities from terrorist action.

Having said that, I'd also say this. You DO whatever it TAKES to bring terrorists to justice. The principle which has it that if you paralyse a city, the effect is one giving terrorists a victory, is reasonable .. IF latitude exists to do something else.

But there are levels of acceptability which alter according to force of circumstances, or logistical need.

What if - in a medium sized city, say - ten terrorist cells, equidistant apart from each other, acted simultaneously ?

In such a scenario, the notion of what gives terrorists their victory might be rather different. THEN, you might actually NEED to go into 'lockdown' mode, and security services might just NEED to go to the lengths to knock down doors and invade peoples' homes.

I'm against overkill. But I'm also against giving terrorists advantages, EVER, in ANY way. If there was good reason to ramp up anti-terrorist measures, then absolutely nothing should stand in the way of seeing to it that it happens.

Lives, security, these matter. Sacrifice either needlessly, and terrorists gain their ultimate victory. And that is just unacceptable.

jimnyc
05-09-2013, 12:35 PM
More bombings followed here, including one in the Mobil Building on 42nd St. that killed an attorney, and in Chicago, Washington, D.C., Newark and Miami. Over the next nine years, FALN would take credit for more than 130 bombings that killed six, and maimed and injured scores of victims.

Each time the terrorists evaded capture.
Investigators had nothing until July 12, 1978, when another explosion

Maybe had they taken harsher action, used more forces and searched harder... The fact that 130 bombings took place isn't exactly a good argument for handling it like any other crime.

Drummond
05-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Maybe had they taken harsher action, used more forces and searched harder... The fact that 130 bombings took place isn't exactly a good argument for handling it like any other crime.

Rather hard to disagree with this !! As I said, you do what it takes to effectively tackle terrorism, and terrorists. What tactics fail to work need to be discarded, and other, more rigorous, methods undertaken in their place.

jimnyc
05-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Rather hard to disagree with this !! As I said, you do what it takes to effectively tackle terrorism, and terrorists. What tactics fail to work need to be discarded, and other, more rigorous, methods undertaken in their place.

That's what it looks like to me. Back then they used certain techniques and searches to apprehend the suspects/terrorists. What they did took a long, long time. Many more bombings were made an many lives lost. Compare that to today. Look at how fast the bombers were captured. No other terror attacks made and no further loss of life to civilians, although the officer lost his life. Sounds to me like the methods used in Boston were infinitely more effective in saving lives.

revelarts
05-09-2013, 12:46 PM

Soo just How many amendments do you recommend breaking to "get the job done"?
that's what your implying.
If Not, then Sure more men , more legal searching more questioning more investigation.
All constitutional.
But Lockdowns etc uh... no.
Again, all homes police home invasions didn't capture the kid in Boston. A Man, AFTER the LOCKDOWN was lifted , called the police BACK to an area already searched.

so the Extra measures it didn't really work in Boston either.

jimnyc
05-09-2013, 12:52 PM
If Not, then Sure more men , more legal searching more questioning more investigation.
All constitutional.
Again, all homes police home invasions didn't capture the kid in Boston. A Man, AFTER the LOCKDOWN was lifted , called the police BACK to an area already searched.

Never said a word about amendments being broken.. You've been placing words in my mouth in discussions for years now! LOL I think the searches were lawful and reasonable. I also think as a result of the lockdown, and huge presence, the scumbag had no choice at all but to end up in that boat. I believe the effort captured him. I think the guy assisted for sure. I do wonder how they missed an entire road. Even when notified, they still came in from all sides and took him alive. I think it was an extremely successful mission that should be emulated should similar circumstances find its way here again.

Marcus Aurelius
05-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Over the next nine years, FALN would take credit for more than 130 bombings that killed six, and maimed and injured scores of victims.

perhaps if they'd shut some cities down and searched, they'd have found the perps and prevented most of that. Thanks for proving that Boston handled the situation properly, quickly, and effectively.:clap:

jimnyc
05-09-2013, 12:58 PM
perhaps if they'd shut some cities down and searched, they'd have found the perps and prevented most of that. Thanks for proving that Boston handled the situation properly, quickly, and effectively.:clap:

Sounds like the "break" that they got in '78 was a guy a few short miles from the very first bombing.

Drummond
05-09-2013, 12:58 PM
All constitutional.

I have to ask: why is it, Revelarts, that your arguments consistently lead in a direction which gives terrorists an easier time of it ?

I can't speak to your Constitutional points (... perhaps quite a pity). But, WHY must it be the case that law enforcement agencies, security services ditto, 'must' feel obliged to always fight with one hand tied behind their backs ?

To say that because lockdowns are demonstrated to be unnecessary or excessive doesn't of itself prove that this will ALWAYS be true. Each situation according to its merits, I'd have thought, instead of fossilising methodologies so that they cannot adapt to the needs of the moment.

revelarts
05-09-2013, 01:02 PM
Never said a word about amendments being broken.. You've been placing words in my mouth in discussions for years now! LOL I think the searches were lawful and reasonable. I also think as a result of the lockdown, and huge presence, the scumbag had no choice at all but to end up in that boat. I believe the effort captured him. I think the guy assisted for sure. I do wonder how they missed an entire road. Even when notified, they still came in from all sides and took him alive. I think it was an extremely successful mission that should be emulated should similar circumstances find its way here again.

I don't think it's was reasonable at all, and frankly unconstitutional.
so i'm not trying to put words in your mouth I'm just saying to do what your suggesting MEANS breaking amendments IMO. and i'm sure i'm not alone with that legal POV.

You seem to want to read & press the limits of the amendments as far in the gov't favor as possible.
I'm for doing just the opposite.
I'm CONVINCED that we can still capture criminals and terrorist with the broadest reading of our freedoms INTACT.

i think you do the NYPD a disservice by saying they should have done a better job to.

Without good leads it's not that easy.
See Boston. they did not find him even with extraordinary measures and clear pictures of the suspects AND they lost him the night before and dozens of police saw him drive off correct?

jimnyc
05-09-2013, 01:31 PM
I don't think it's was reasonable at all, and frankly unconstitutional.
so i'm not trying to put words in your mouth I'm just saying to do what your suggesting MEANS breaking amendments IMO. and i'm sure i'm not alone with that legal POV.

You seem to want to read & press the limits of the amendments as far in the gov't favor as possible.
I'm for doing just the opposite.
I'm CONVINCED that we can still capture criminals and terrorist with the broadest reading of our freedoms INTACT.

i think you do the NYPD a disservice by saying they should have done a better job to.

Without good leads it's not that easy.
See Boston. they did not find him even with extraordinary measures and clear pictures of the suspects AND they lost him the night before and dozens of police saw him drive off correct?

You may not be alone, but I'm also for from being along in thinking it was reasonable. Hell, why aren't local politicians and state politicians bringing this up? If it's unconstitutional, whether to the state or country, shouldn't they be doing something? What are they doing?

I think you do the BPD a disservice by stating they all committed illegal actions.

aboutime
05-09-2013, 02:16 PM

jimnyc: Sounds like rev has grown tired of using the Old, Blame Game idea of Accusing Bush. So now. It's the fabricated, liberal tactic of accusing someone of breaking, or disobeying Amendments. Where the blame really lies is with Obama. But that's using TRUTH, and truth threatens those who refuse to accept it.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-15-2013, 09:07 AM
4 Dead... a tremendous explosion rocked the building, sending shivers up to the 60th floor cafeteria of the nearby Chase Manhattan Bank building. Firefighters found a scene of “utter havoc,” with blood- and dust-covered men and women, many in business attire, writhing in agony in the streets, or shrieking under piles of rubble, or wandering about with stunned, blank eyes....

But
No cities Shut Down,
No para military armed LEOs at ever door demanding to be let in to search.
No one being tossed from their homes.

I don't think any of that was done after the Oklahoma city bombing either.

Why are paniced out of minds over this Boston tragedy, to Shut down the freaking city over presure cookers and 2 kids with hand guns?! Toss the 4th amendment in the trash over it?!?

It's overkill in the extreme to think that all of that Boston area actions were called for, much less all legally justified.

Seems like the terrorist get some extra victory when we allow them this much power over our lives and show this level of panic.

I think the country needs to step back and get some perspective, and maybe shake some of the 911 PTSS I think we have.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/national/other-deadly-bombings/nXM4X/

Bravo Rev.. -:beer:
Has been my take on it too. However, we could step up intelligence gathering activities without breaking Constitutionally insured rights of the citizens. The infringement of those rights are by deliberate and planned designed not caused by any overpowering necessity.-Tyr