PDA

View Full Version : Great day

Jeff
05-10-2013, 08:45 AM
Well I have two boys ages 10 and 11 they are 101/2 months apart and both in 5th grade, well at their school they have a reading competition every year and if a child reads a million words he/she joins the millionaires club , they must take a test on each book they have read and score well enough to prove they read the book. My older boy Colt has made the club the last two years in a row where Wyatt the younger came up well short, and this year the prize for making it was a trip to a minor league baseball game which was yesterday and the kids could invite their parents , so the wife and I went , meanwhile Wyatt was trying to scheme a deal with his mother asking her to help chaperone the trip so he could go to ( he pulled the same stuff last year, ya think he would learn :laugh:) well needless to say Wyatt went to school for the day and Colt my wife and myself went to the Gwinnett Braves to watch them play the Red Soxs farm team, it was a great time and all the kids had a blast along with the adults .

Both boys will be graduating grammar school next week and will be going on to middle school and they found out yesterday that in order to get in the millionaire's club in the sixth grade they must read some pretty big books but there class went to medieval times for their effort , well Colt immediately said he can't wait to get to reading and Wyatt said he didn't care much about going , but late last night I heard him asking his mother if we could go to medieval times one night as a family, this year isn't even done yet and he is already scheming for next year :laugh:

Marcus Aurelius
05-10-2013, 09:02 AM
ROFL...

You'll all love Medieval Times. I chaperoned a class trip for my daughter back in 6th grade (she's now 21). After the meal and show, we all went to the gift shop. She surprised me on the bus trip back with something very like this...
http://mythicalfair.com/image/cache/data/Pewter/Pewter%20and%20marble/doubleheaded-500x500.jpg
...as a thank you for helping out.

It has hung on the rear view mirror of every car I've owned since then, and always will. Might be time to replace the leather strip it hangs from though, as it's getting a tad brittle. ;)

Out knight lost :-(

Abbey Marie
05-10-2013, 11:28 AM
Well I have two boys ages 10 and 11 they are 101/2 months apart and both in 5th grade, well at their school they have a reading competition every year and if a child reads a million words he/she joins the millionaires club , they must take a test on each book they have read and score well enough to prove they read the book. My older boy Colt has made the club the last two years in a row where Wyatt the younger came up well short, and this year the prize for making it was a trip to a minor league baseball game which was yesterday and the kids could invite their parents , so the wife and I went , meanwhile Wyatt was trying to scheme a deal with his mother asking her to help chaperone the trip so he could go to ( he pulled the same stuff last year, ya think he would learn :laugh:) well needless to say Wyatt went to school for the day and Colt my wife and myself went to the Gwinnett Braves to watch them play the Red Soxs farm team, it was a great time and all the kids had a blast along with the adults .

Both boys will be graduating grammar school next week and will be going on to middle school and they found out yesterday that in order to get in the millionaire's club in the sixth grade they must read some pretty big books but there class went to medieval times for their effort , well Colt immediately said he can't wait to get to reading and Wyatt said he didn't care much about going , but late last night I heard him asking his mother if we could go to medieval times one night as a family, this year isn't even done yet and he is already scheming for next year :laugh:

Jeff, Wyatt may have a promising career in Law. :laugh2:

Btw, I love that name. :thumb:

jimnyc
05-10-2013, 12:16 PM
Wyatt and Colt. 2 great little nephews. Both loving, and caring, smart... They will defend one another and their family. They are both awesome in various sports. They are both funny as hell. I think they're both a little nuts in the head too! Man, they're always fighting, as brothers of course do, but they don't have any mercy on one another! I feel sorry for the kids in HS that mess with these 2!! These are definitely a couple of little rednecks. :)

jimnyc
05-10-2013, 12:54 PM
My favorite moment with these 2 kids. I was at Jeff's back in '05 or 06'. The kids were still little guys, and had some sort of bike/4 wheeler that was made out of all plastic and more or less a big wheel. They would just ride it from the road and down alongside the house. All of about 10 seconds and 50 feet. Well Colt, for whatever reason, is egging Wyatt on to go ahead and give it a whirl. I then see he has his back turned to the road, kind of facing the house. Here comes Wyatt down the hill towards the house - Colt turns around quickly and I realize he's taking a whizz on Wyatt as he barrels on past him! LOL

Then they proceeded to fight on the LR floor and pulverize one another. I had to look away at a few points as they fight dirty!

15 minutes later they're back outside riding the bike again!

Robert A Whit
05-10-2013, 04:34 PM

Jeff, I hate to speak on how parents raise kids when the parent is talking to me or a group such as this group.

Have you considered that Wyatt may be a slower reader and has a difficult time wading through books? Some poor readers turned out to have dyslexia.

But if he is fine medically, perhaps as a reward you can get him the rather small book called

The Evelyn Wood Seven-Day Speed Reading and Learning program.

You have nothing to lose trying to help him.

In my city we have a half priced book store that might carry it. I got mine from Barns and Noble many years ago. (half priced book stores are in many cities.)

The way this is going, your son thinks you are punishing him over his brother.

My daughter has two sons and the oldest learns fast and is hot to read. The younger brother not so much so his grades though decent are not the same level as his older brother. Fortunately for him, his mom is a good teacher.

I forgot to tell you but your treatment system was told to my son in law by my daughter and I hope he talks it over with his doctor. She told me he had never heard of that treatment.

Marcus Aurelius
05-10-2013, 05:41 PM
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0036091

Conclusions/Significance In addition to revealing correlations between speed, comprehension and eye movements in reading Japanese contemporary novels by untrained readers, we describe cases of speed-reading trainees regarding relationships between these variables. The trainees overall tended to show poor performance influenced by the speed-accuracy trade-off, although this trade-off may be reduced in the case of at least one high-level expert.

speed reading.. bad idea.

Jeff
05-11-2013, 07:06 PM
Jeff, I hate to speak on how parents raise kids when the parent is talking to me or a group such as this group.

Have you considered that Wyatt may be a slower reader and has a difficult time wading through books? Some poor readers turned out to have dyslexia.

But if he is fine medically, perhaps as a reward you can get him the rather small book called

The Evelyn Wood Seven-Day Speed Reading and Learning program.

You have nothing to lose trying to help him.

In my city we have a half priced book store that might carry it. I got mine from Barns and Noble many years ago. (half priced book stores are in many cities.)

The way this is going, your son thinks you are punishing him over his brother.

My daughter has two sons and the oldest learns fast and is hot to read. The younger brother not so much so his grades though decent are not the same level as his older brother. Fortunately for him, his mom is a good teacher.

I forgot to tell you but your treatment system was told to my son in law by my daughter and I hope he talks it over with his doctor. She told me he had never heard of that treatment.

Robert Wyatt is getting a award this week for being on the principals list all year he is in gifted and talented classes and when tested last he reads at a at a 7th grade level ( he is in the 5th grade )and his math was at a 8th grade level , he actually does better in grades than Colt who will be getting a award this week also for being on either the Honor roll or the principal's list all year , I understand what you are saying but this millionaire's club isn't graded it is something the kids do just for the chance for the trip, they have regular reading test where each 6 weeks they must read so many books at such a level and be able to pass the test given on them in order to receive points and they must have ( I think ) it is 25 points in order to pass ( each book they read is worth so many points a easy book being less pts)Wyatt has received a A in reading all year but he doesn't care nothing about doing any extra reading it just isn't his favorite thing to do and no I am not going to reward him for not doing the work his brother has just the same as when Wyatt comes home with a A+ in math I am not going to tell Colt his B is as good , Both boys are encouraged to do their very best any anything else isn't tolerated but if one of them chooses to not do the extra credit work to win a trip he isn't going that simple. Robert ya really have to know Wyatt he can do the reading no problem he just doesn't want to do it, and he can get any size book he wants provided it is from the list in the school library and he passes the test provided for that book, if he had done that extra reading all year he would of went to the game with the 10 to 12 kids that did do the reading and yes this is open to 3rd 4th and 5th graders of course each grade has different books . This is extra and a good way to get kids to read but not all kids love to read, Colt will read a book every night before bed Wyatt only if it is homework or on the rare occasion it is of interest to him.

But honestly Robert any Doctor that would tell me to reward a child that chooses not to do the work when he can do it ( his A average in reading shows that ) isn't a very good Doctor in my eyes and I would have to think about seeking another doctor .

Robert A Whit
05-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Robert Wyatt is getting a award this week for being on the principals list all year he is in gifted and talented classes and when tested last he reads at a at a 7th grade level ( he is in the 5th grade )and his math was at a 8th grade level , he actually does better in grades than Colt who will be getting a award this week also for being on either the Honor roll or the principal's list all year , I understand what you are saying but this millionaire's club isn't graded it is something the kids do just for the chance for the trip, they have regular reading test where each 6 weeks they must read so many books at such a level and be able to pass the test given on them in order to receive points and they must have ( I think ) it is 25 points in order to pass ( each book they read is worth so many points a easy book being less pts)Wyatt has received a A in reading all year but he doesn't care nothing about doing any extra reading it just isn't his favorite thing to do and no I am not going to reward him for not doing the work his brother has just the same as when Wyatt comes home with a A+ in math I am not going to tell Colt his B is as good , Both boys are encouraged to do their very best any anything else isn't tolerated but if one of them chooses to not do the extra credit work to win a trip he isn't going that simple. Robert ya really have to know Wyatt he can do the reading no problem he just doesn't want to do it, and he can get any size book he wants provided it is from the list in the school library and he passes the test provided for that book, if he had done that extra reading all year he would of went to the game with the 10 to 12 kids that did do the reading and yes this is open to 3rd 4th and 5th graders of course each grade has different books . This is extra and a good way to get kids to read but not all kids love to read, Colt will read a book every night before bed Wyatt only if it is homework or on the rare occasion it is of interest to him.

But honestly Robert any Doctor that would tell me to reward a child that chooses not to do the work when he can do it ( his A average in reading shows that ) isn't a very good Doctor in my eyes and I would have to think about seeking another doctor .

I own the course which is just one book. And it is amazing at how much easier it is for kids to read once they read this book and practice the lessons.

Any child will or can benefit. Seems your boys are bright and the tactics of quicker reading with better memory may appeal to them.

Just saying. I hate to try to tell parents about their own kids. They know those kids best.

This book has about 200 pages and it is one of the smaller books. And the print is large. If you try the book, tell them they will learn faster and read much faster. Tell them the book will free up hours of their time. Anyway, just an idea I tried and it works.