PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones

jimnyc
05-10-2013, 06:17 PM
So who watches this show? It's on HBO an into the 3rd season, about 25 total episodes or so. Here is a brief synopsis from IMDB, where it has an astonishing 9.4 rating:

Seven noble families fight for control of the mythical land of Westeros. Political and sexual intrigue is pervasive. Robert Baratheon, King of Westeros, asks his old friend Eddard, Lord Stark, to serve as Hand of the King, or highest official. Secretly warned that the previous Hand was assassinated, Eddard accepts in order to investigate further. Meanwhile the Queen's family, the Lannisters, may be hatching a plot to take power. Across the sea, the last members of the previous and deposed ruling family, the Targaryens, are also scheming to regain the throne. The friction between the houses Stark, Lannister and Baratheon, and with the remaining great houses Greyjoy, Tully, Arryn, and Tyrell, leads to full-scale war. All while a very ancient evil awakens in the farthest north. Amidst the war and political confusion, a neglected military order of misfits, the Night's Watch, is all that stands between the realms of men and icy horrors beyond.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/?ref_=sr_1

I'm just going on to episode 6 of the first season and I'm hooked!

aboutime
05-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Thrones? Really? :) 4975 Never watched it.

hjmick
05-10-2013, 06:36 PM
I've been watching. DVR it then have a marathon when the season is over. Good stuff. Peter Dinklage, been a fan for some time...

Missileman
05-10-2013, 06:52 PM
So who watches this show? It's on HBO an into the 3rd season, about 25 total episodes or so. Here is a brief synopsis from IMDB, where it has an astonishing 9.4 rating:

Best show on TV hands down!

Thunderknuckles
05-10-2013, 08:05 PM
My wife an I watched it when it premiered and were immediately hooked. We went out and bought all of the books and plowed through them.
This is one of those rare occasions when I'm inclined to say that the show is as good as, if not better, than the books. Those of you who have read the books know that George R. R. Martin has a tendency to drag a story on that would make Robert Jordan proud. Speaking of which, Martin is getting old and the story is not yet finished. He's probably got at least 3 more books to go just to tie up all the damn subplots going on. If he doesn't get off his ass and finish this thing, he might just go the same way Jordan did.

DragonStryk72
05-10-2013, 09:04 PM

Love the show, and the books. It's actually a ton of fun watching people who don't know what's coming, and hearing their theories on what's going to happen. My favorite two characters are Tyrion and Danaerys, With Jon Snow pulling a close third.

aboutime
05-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Sounds like everyone would recommend watching the program.
Which network is it on?
Seriously. I've never heard of it since I watch so little television.

DragonStryk72
05-10-2013, 09:19 PM
I've been watching. DVR it then have a marathon when the season is over. Good stuff. Peter Dinklage, been a fan for some time...

you know he was actually hesitant to take the role originally? He was talking about it in an interview once, that he was wary because it was a fantasy series, and generally, roles for short people, in his experience, involved beards and pointy-toed shoes. Then he actually read the books, and took because, as he put it, Tyrion tells the jokes, but is not the joke himself.

DragonStryk72
05-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Sounds like everyone would recommend watching the program.
Which network is it on?
Seriously. I've never heard of it since I watch so little television.

It's on HBO, Sunday night 9pm EST. If you don't have HBO, however, the show has stuck to the books thus far, so you could just pick up the books, or buy the season one and two dvds.

Abbey Marie
05-10-2013, 09:22 PM
The show is addictive. For my taste, too many unnecessary and OTT whore scenes, but other than that, it's lots of fun to watch.

aboutime
05-10-2013, 09:26 PM
It's on HBO, Sunday night 9pm EST. If you don't have HBO, however, the show has stuck to the books thus far, so you could just pick up the books, or buy the season one and two dvds.

Thanks DragonStryk. We only have the minimum channels, smallest, cheapest package. So. The only HBO we see, happens when they run special weekends to gather new customers.
The DVD idea sounds good.

Thunderknuckles
05-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Love the show, and the books. It's actually a ton of fun watching people who don't know what's coming, and hearing their theories on what's going to happen. My favorite two characters are Tyrion and Danaerys, With Jon Snow pulling a close third.
I agree on Tyrion. He has, by far, the most interesting story arc. Dinklage has him nailed!
I'm on the fence with Danaerys. Sometimes I want her to accidentally fall off a cliff :p
Of all the female characters, I like Arya. Her story lags like a mother but my I think she will become the single most lethal killer out of all of them.

Edited last statement since Aboutime has yet to watch

Thunderknuckles
05-10-2013, 09:33 PM
The show is addictive. For my taste, too many unnecessary and OTT whore scenes, but other than that, it's lots of fun to watch.
My wife and I thought the same. The books certainly have an adult theme but sometimes I think HBO is trying too hard.

DragonStryk72
05-10-2013, 09:53 PM
I agree on Tyrion. He has, by far, the most interesting story arc. Dinklage has him nailed!
I'm on the fence with Danaerys. Sometimes I want her to accidentally fall off a cliff :p
Of all the female characters, I like Arya. Her story lags like a mother but my I think she will become the single most lethal killer out of all of them.

Edited last statement since Aboutime has yet to watch

Well, with Danaerys, she's finding her spine, whereas Arya has had hers her whole life, thanks to how she was raised. The arc has really done an amazing job of showing that, and I liked recently when she looked at her advisors and snapped, "I appreciate your advice, and your counsel, but if you ever question me in front of others again, you'll be advising someone."

It's something that she wouldn't have done even one season ago, which makes for a very interesting notation of her progress toward becoming the queen she needs to be.

Arya will become the most lethal... if there's anyone left alive by the time she finishes training.

DragonStryk72
05-10-2013, 09:56 PM
My wife and I thought the same. The books certainly have an adult theme but sometimes I think HBO is trying too hard.

They did add to it, but they did that for Littlefinger's scenes, because in the books, you'll notice that alot of his chapters are almost entirely internal monologue, and they couldn't find a way to keep that in, without somehow putting him in the room with people he would never air those thoughts around, and him just sitting and talking for no apparent reason for a good 3-5 minutes with nothing else going around him, which would have killed the pacing.

Robert A Whit
05-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Well, I ordered the first five hours. Thanks for the recommend.

NightTrain
05-10-2013, 10:30 PM

I just spent an hour replying and it's gone. I'm pissed.

It's an awesome fucking show.

Good night.

Kathianne
05-10-2013, 11:02 PM

Yep, this and Downton Abbey are my two favs.

Kathianne
05-10-2013, 11:05 PM

Since I don't have cable or tv at all for that matter, I make ample use of my public library. Have watched seasons 1 & 2 already. Can't wait for season 3 to come out on DVD.

SassyLady
05-11-2013, 02:07 AM

Jim, I've never had HBO so didn't know anything about this series. However, I was in COSTCO a couple of weeks ago and saw the books (1-4) and bought them. I thought they would last a couple of months (books are almost 1,000 pages each). I read the first one in a week and the second one in a week because I couldn't put them down. I then offered my girlfriend the books to read and she said "Hey, this is that series that everyone is talking about on HBO". I had just installed Direct TV and have HBO free for three months. So, I downloaded all previous shows and starting watching. Have finished Season 1.

The first season sticks pretty close to the book, but season two is definitely exercising literary license. I'm halfway through book three and can't seem to put it down. Now, I will have to subscribe to HBO just to watch this series!!!

hjmick
05-11-2013, 06:39 PM
you know he was actually hesitant to take the role originally? He was talking about it in an interview once, that he was wary because it was a fantasy series, and generally, roles for short people, in his experience, involved beards and pointy-toed shoes. Then he actually read the books, and took because, as he put it, Tyrion tells the jokes, but is not the joke himself.

He is truly one of the best actors working today, IMO. Like Liev Schreiber, if I see Dinklage's name attached to a project, I'm in.

DragonStryk72
05-11-2013, 06:52 PM
He is truly one of the best actors working today, IMO. Like Liev Schreiber, if I see Dinklage's name attached to a project, I'm in.

I was arguing with a buddy of mine, to where I sat there and went, "Name one scene that Tyrion has come into that has not been made more awesome by his presence."

Crickets followed.

Thunderknuckles
05-11-2013, 07:23 PM
Here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyougFDZ7zU

taft2012
05-11-2013, 07:24 PM
"Why are the gods all such sadistic bastards? Where is the god of tits and wine?" :laugh:

hjmick
05-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyougFDZ7zU

I am so in...

Gaffer
05-11-2013, 08:57 PM
I've read all 5 books and I know what happens up to that point. Many will be greatly disappointed about some characters, it closes a lot of the sub plots when people get killed off.

HBO appears to be rushing through the show in order to complete it in five or six series. That's not good. I do hope they don't pull a Harry Potter on us and rewrite the final episodes.

They do seem to have a problem filming battle scenes. Kingslanding was a massive battle. Tyrion was almost killed while fighting on a ship, not on the land. He had most of his nose cut off and a huge ugly scar across his face in the book.

There's a whole lot of stuff still to come, unless they just skip over it, and a whole assortment of new characters. My biggest problem has always been remembering all the names. I'm terrible with names as it is, but when there are 20 to 30 named characters running around it gets even more confusing.

I better quit for now before I start saying too much and spoil things.

Noir
05-12-2013, 03:58 AM
For anyone who enjoys the show, the books are a must-read IMO, utterly fantastic.

Also, random factoid - Most of the out door scenes in the show are shot in...Northern Ireland ^,^ (Except for Dani's storyline which is mostly shot in Malta).

jimnyc
05-12-2013, 10:41 AM
I had to kind of fast forward through here a tad, some of you fuckers are giving out spoilers!! :)

I'm at the end of season 2 episode 3.

Sean Bean was my favorite character thus far, Lord Stark, Ned Stark, and I believe without his head he won't be coming back. I'm still learning the kingdoms and names, but it's all coming together. What's with the girl who marries "Drogo"? She just burnt herself to death and came back alive with some hatched dragons! And I download these episodes. All of the scenes with Drogo's clan (forget what they're called), there are no subtitles and I have no clue what Drogo, Callisi (sp?) aka Daenerys are saying!

Stark's youngest girl, I think Arya? She's awesome! Cute little gal. I hope someday she chops off Joffrey's head, or however you spell his name. I hate that little fucker already!

And the imp, the half man, the dwarf, Tyrion - Peter Dinklage - I agree with the others. I recall seeing him elsewhere, but he is emerging as one of the best characters on here for me. "Sir, how would you like to die" - he replies "Very old, laying in bed, with a whore and her ....".

jimnyc
05-12-2013, 10:42 AM
For anyone who enjoys the show, the books are a must-read IMO, utterly fantastic.

Also, random factoid - Most of the out door scenes in the show are shot in...Northern Ireland ^,^ (Except for Dani's storyline which is mostly shot in Malta).

My wife said it was one of the best book series she has ever read, and she's read thousands. She watched the show for 2 episodes and called it quits. She doesn't like violence, blood an boobies. What a wimp! :)

Gaffer
05-12-2013, 05:40 PM
I had to kind of fast forward through here a tad, some of you fuckers are giving out spoilers!! :)

I'm at the end of season 2 episode 3.

Sean Bean was my favorite character thus far, Lord Stark, Ned Stark, and I believe without his head he won't be coming back. I'm still learning the kingdoms and names, but it's all coming together. What's with the girl who marries "Drogo"? She just burnt herself to death and came back alive with some hatched dragons! And I download these episodes. All of the scenes with Drogo's clan (forget what they're called), there are no subtitles and I have no clue what Drogo, Callisi (sp?) aka Daenerys are saying!

Stark's youngest girl, I think Arya? She's awesome! Cute little gal. I hope someday she chops off Joffrey's head, or however you spell his name. I hate that little fucker already!

And the imp, the half man, the dwarf, Tyrion - Peter Dinklage - I agree with the others. I recall seeing him elsewhere, but he is emerging as one of the best characters on here for me. "Sir, how would you like to die" - he replies "Very old, laying in bed, with a whore and her ....".

I'm trying to be careful what I say here so I don't spoil anything. Sounds like you got some cheap down loads that didn't have captions for the conversations. I hate when that happens. I use VLC for viewing and some times the captions are included separately and I can just turn them on.

Dany doesn't burn up but ends up with three dragons, you can enjoy how she uses them over the following episodes. They are doing pretty good about staying with the books although most of that lezzy shit is not part of the books. That's thrown in for gratuitous sex scenes to promote queers.

You know that kid that plays Joffrey is a really good actor, cause everyone really hates him. I agree with your wife, the books are great. I've read all 5 and I'm waiting for the 6th to come out. Hope he finishes the series before he dies or I do.

DragonStryk72
05-12-2013, 07:16 PM

Yeah, I think the current shooting is split between Northern Ireland, Iceland, and Croatia.

Noir
05-13-2013, 08:47 AM
most of that lezzy shit is not part of the books. That's thrown in for gratuitous sex scenes to promote queers..

Erm, which character has had a lesbian scene on screen, that didn't have one in the books?

Gaffer
05-13-2013, 09:18 AM
Erm, which character has had a lesbian scene on screen, that didn't have one in the books?

The scene where little finger gives direction to two of his prostitutes on how to do it for an audience. There was no such thing in the books. While there were innuendos of people being queer, there were no queer scenes in the books. The queer scenes in the show are purely gratuitous.

Abbey Marie
05-13-2013, 09:36 AM
The scene where little finger gives direction to two of his prostitutes on how to do it for an audience. There was no such thing in the books. While there were innuendos of people being queer, there were no queer scenes in the books. The queer scenes in the show are purely gratuitous.

My husband said the same thing about the King's son's season one gay sex scenes. Not in the book.

Noir
05-13-2013, 09:46 AM

No 'queer scenes' in the books? Dany and Cersei both have atleast one (and there are references to Dany having more) not to mention Tyrion who talks in great detail about what whores do to each other for coin.

Noir
05-13-2013, 09:50 AM
My husband said the same thing about the King's son's season one gay sex scenes. Not in the book.

Renly is so obviously gay (though never stated as fact) in the books. The whole reason they chose to show the relationship as fact, and not whispers, was to show how ruthless Margery Tyrell is, and what she's prepared to do to be 'the queen', a device which i thought worked fantastically.

Gaffer
05-13-2013, 09:54 AM
No 'queer scenes' in the books? Dany and Cersei both have atleast one (and there are references to Dany having more) not to mention Tyrion who talks in great detail about what whores do to each other for coin.

Yes there are references to queer action but nothing descriptive. It's purely gratuitous. Those scenes could have been replaced with other more relevant scenes that would further drive the story.

Noir
05-13-2013, 10:08 AM
Yes there are references to queer action but nothing descriptive. It's purely gratuitous. Those scenes could have been replaced with other more relevant scenes that would further drive the story.

Yeah, in just the same way that the book 'references' acts of warfare =P

The Renly/Knights of Flowers, is a tool for advancing Margery's plot.
Dany/Maid advances Dany post Drogo,
Cersei/Maid (though i can't memo seeing that in the show) advances Cersei's post Kingslayer/Lancel
Whore/Whore in Littlefingers brothel allows Littlefinger to talk honestly, while not making it seem like he has a confidant (because he's too smart for that) which he can do with no actual character onscreen.

jimnyc
05-13-2013, 10:31 AM
On the queer thing...

Those 2 gals being told what to do by the Lord whatever his name is, that was kinda hot. But those 2 little flamer dudes need to have their heads removed by the king! :)

I've gotta be careful in this thread, more spoilers! I've also been visiting IMDB a lot to get to know the characters and their real names. Then I notice certain characters were only in so many episodes. Hmmmm....

Noir
05-13-2013, 10:36 AM
On the queer thing...

Those 2 gals being told what to do by the Lord whatever his name is, that was kinda hot. But those 2 little flamer dudes need to have their heads removed by the king! :)

I've gotta be careful in this thread, more spoilers! I've also been visiting IMDB a lot to get to know the characters and their real names. Then I notice certain characters were only in so many episodes. Hmmmm....

Don't be worried about characters only being in certain shows, some folk don't get referenced never-mind screen time for several episodes at a time then just pop back, even with an hour per show there are just too many plots to mention every week or two.

Thunderknuckles
05-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Don't be worried about characters only being in certain shows, some folk don't get referenced never-mind screen time for several episodes at a time then just pop back, even with an hour per show there are just too many plots to mention every week or two.
The other side of that argument is that Martin has no problem killing off major characters. Don't get too attached to any of them. You never know what is around the bend :)

jimnyc
05-13-2013, 10:46 AM

The other side of that argument is that Martin has no problem killing off major characters. Don't get too attached to any of them. You never know what is around the bend :)

I've been told both by my wife already. But another tidbit...

Since I couldn't understand the Dothraki scenes, I looked around to find subtitles. I found a ton, but one download was for every single episode. For season 2, it literally said something like - complete subtitles, or just Dothraki episodes 1,2,4,5 & 10 when Drogo returns. I'm like WTF? I'm not up to episode 10 yet you fuckers!!

And none of you better not ruin it for me either! LOL I'm just starting episode 8 of season 2!

jimnyc
05-13-2013, 10:48 AM

Stark comes to mind. Glad I didn't fall in love with Lord Stark! At least I can still see his head hanging outside the castle, as does his daughter apparently. :)

Abbey Marie
05-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Stark comes to mind. Glad I didn't fall in love with Lord Stark! At least I can still see his head hanging outside the castle, as does his daughter apparently. :)

I believe that was when one of the heads was made to look like George W. Bush.

DragonStryk72
05-13-2013, 12:39 PM

Um yes there was, Danaerys had one, a little ways after Drogo, I think it was either book 2 or 3

jimnyc
05-13-2013, 12:46 PM
Um yes there was, Danaerys had one, a little ways after Drogo, I think it was either book 2 or 3

The mother of dragons ends up in a lesbian scene? Sweet! :coffee:

Thunderknuckles
05-13-2013, 12:54 PM
That scene isn't gratuitous like some of the others. It plays well with what she is going through at the time.
But yeah, I had some 70's "bow-chicka-bow-wow" music going through my head when reading it :p

Gaffer
05-13-2013, 02:01 PM

That's the only one in five books and it's there to show her vulnerability and doubts. Guys that get into that will be very pleased and I'm sure, being HBO, it will be included.

And Jim, I'm working real hard here not to spoil anything. As Thunderknuckles said don't get to attached to characters cause Martin does have a tendency to kill them off. But then again, sometimes they come back.

Noir
05-13-2013, 02:38 PM
Best George Martin moment was during a Q&A at a convention when he was asked about killing characters and it went like so...

*Shuffles through paper pile to pull out a page*
"Here, I have this list of characters i will kill."
*glances down page*
"They are...basically all your faves."

Marcus Aurelius
05-13-2013, 02:40 PM

http://media.musicfeeds.com.au/files/a7f3ee985e3d1cd2a3a6184078468960.jpg

you're welcome.

SassyLady
05-13-2013, 08:06 PM

Book 3 ... with her handmaid. She is missing having sex, but doesn't want to get involved with a man.

SassyLady
05-13-2013, 08:44 PM
Yep, I have that same problem ... however, I have no handmaid to help me out! :laugh:

Abbey Marie
05-13-2013, 08:47 PM
Renly is so obviously gay (though never stated as fact) in the books. The whole reason they chose to show the relationship as fact, and not whispers, was to show how ruthless Margery Tyrell is, and what she's prepared to do to be 'the queen', a device which i thought worked fantastically.

Checked with my husband again tonight, and he reiterated that he saw no "obviously gay" references to Renly in the books. But even if there are and he somehow missed it, the show could have done a lot to imply it without having a graphic gay sex scene.

SassyLady
05-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Checked with my husband again tonight, and he reiterated that he saw no "obviously gay" references to Renly in the books. But even if there are and he somehow missed it, the show could have done a lot to imply it without having a graphic gay sex scene.

Abbey, I saw the scene between Sir Loras and Renly and was shocked. I went back and reread everything that referred to either of them and found nothing. However, it was interesting how Queen Margery approached the subject in the show. It seems that the writers and producers are laying foundation for her to be a bigger player. I just started Book 4. I got Books 1-4 in softback and Book 5 is in hardback and I might have to break down and buy it anyway.

It breaks my heart every time a major player dies, however, it seems more realistic that way. After all, in real life not every good, honest, honorable people get to live.

Gaffer
05-13-2013, 09:23 PM

He's right there were no gay sex scenes in the books. That was more HBO promoting queers.

Abbey Marie
05-13-2013, 09:27 PM
Abbey, I saw the scene between Sir Loras and Renly and was shocked. I went back and reread everything that referred to either of them and found nothing. However, it was interesting how Queen Margery approached the subject in the show. It seems that the writers and producers are laying foundation for her to be a bigger player. I just started Book 4. I got Books 1-4 in softback and Book 5 is in hardback and I might have to break down and buy it anyway.

It breaks my heart every time a major player dies, however, it seems more realistic that way. After all, in real life not every good, honest, honorable people get to live.

I just read this to my husband, and he asked me to say "Thank you!". :cool:

Gaffer
05-13-2013, 09:52 PM

She going to be a bigger player alright. Her and Cerci are going head to head by book five. Of course Joffery won't be there.

Renly never got to consummate the marriage with Margery because he was planning his attack on Stannis' keep. and was killed before he could go to her. There was never any queer stuff going on with him.

It's a good thing I don't have any teeth cause I have to bite my tongue here to keep from spoiling things for everyone.

Thunderknuckles
05-14-2013, 12:42 AM
Damn guys. Jim and some others haven't caught up to everyone and asked not to give anything away and here you are spoiling it!

SassyLady
05-14-2013, 01:21 AM
Damn guys. Jim and some others haven't caught up to everyone and asked not to give anything away and here you are spoiling it!

I've had the books less than two weeks, have downloaded first two seasons and have completed three books and season one.

Tell Jim and everyone else to set their pants on fire and get caught up so we can discuss here ... or we should start another thread and head it up with ...

SPOILER ALERT - GAME OF THRONES - DO NOT ENTER IF YOU HAVE NOT READ ALL BOOKS OR ARE CURRENT ON SERIES!!!

:slap:

jimnyc
05-14-2013, 05:18 AM
Thunderknuckles was kind enough to warn me about spoilers, so I'm just replying without reading to the end. Just wanted to add, that I read a tad about Drogo returning in the last episode of season 2. Well, I watched it last night, and it was where Khaleesi entered the building with all of the doors and was dreaming of Drogo, or hallucinating, or whatever, as she searched for the return of her dragons.

Then I watched Tyrion more or less save the day for King's Landing, get bashed in the head and returned to a shitty room for his unrecognized efforts!

This sucks though. As now I have 7 episodes left only to catch up, and without having read the books, will have to wait for future episodes like all of you peasants! :beer:

Noir
05-14-2013, 08:33 AM
So a man who wants to be King, but makes no effort to impregnate his gorgeous queen (you think heirs would be important) indeed even on their wedding night, nothing.

It is described in detail how he and Loras take care if themselves, always wear the finest robes and most decorative armour.

Throughtoutthe books characters are constantly making innuendo and insults about Renly and his flower, indeed while i can't remember many specific quotes, two that are stuck in my mind were Stannis telling Renly his queen 'would die a maid in his bed', and (i think kingslayer) said he would 'shove his sword somewhere only Renly would find'

And he called his personal guards the Rainbow Guard.

...and some of ya'll were surprised? =P
It is notable that there are no chapters from Renly's POV, and most of Renly's interactions are with Catelyn Stark (who probably is oblivious due to distance/ not being as connected as littlefinger and Varys ) and Brennie (who again is oblivious, this time due to love). But still...

Aslo was remembered when typing this, my gf said the bit that convinced her was after Renly died, and loras said something about a light going out in his life that could never be replaced.

stevecanuck
05-14-2013, 10:23 AM
I'm racing through book 3 so the show doesn't get ahead of where I've read to. To be brutally honest, the last 2 shows contained a lot of filler that didn't really advance the plot nearly as much as 2 hours should have.

Gaffer
05-14-2013, 12:07 PM
So a man who wants to be King, but makes no effort to impregnate his gorgeous queen (you think heirs would be important) indeed even on their wedding night, nothing.

It is described in detail how he and Loras take care if themselves, always wear the finest robes and most decorative armour.

Throughtoutthe books characters are constantly making innuendo and insults about Renly and his flower, indeed while i can't remember many specific quotes, two that are stuck in my mind were Stannis telling Renly his queen 'would die a maid in his bed', and (i think kingslayer) said he would 'shove his sword somewhere only Renly would find'

And he called his personal guards the Rainbow Guard.

...and some of ya'll were surprised? =P
It is notable that there are no chapters from Renly's POV, and most of Renly's interactions are with Catelyn Stark (who probably is oblivious due to distance/ not being as connected as littlefinger and Varys ) and Brennie (who again is oblivious, this time due to love). But still...

Aslo was remembered when typing this, my gf said the bit that convinced her was after Renly died, and loras said something about a light going out in his life that could never be replaced.

As I said initially. There are innuendos and talk, but no sex scenes concerning queers. And if you remember, Renly was in the field with his army, which was perhaps an excuse not to be with his wife, but didn't give him opportunity to be with her. She also used that excuse to claim she was still virginal when offered to Joffery.

Gaffer
05-14-2013, 12:12 PM
I'm racing through book 3 so the show doesn't get ahead of where I've read to. To be brutally honest, the last 2 shows contained a lot of filler that didn't really advance the plot nearly as much as 2 hours should have.

They are intermixing things from the first three books right now. And your right about the filler. They seem to have slowed things down a lot by bringing things in that happened later in the books. with some characters they are skipping ahead, while with others they are dragging behind.

DragonStryk72
05-14-2013, 06:45 PM
They are intermixing things from the first three books right now. And your right about the filler. They seem to have slowed things down a lot by bringing things in that happened later in the books. with some characters they are skipping ahead, while with others they are dragging behind.

Well, they're coming up on the subject where Feast of Crows/Dance of Dragons timelines both take place simultaneously, and they're dragging it so some of the cast has enough time to age like they should.

Gaffer
05-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Well, they're coming up on the subject where Feast of Crows/Dance of Dragons timelines both take place simultaneously, and they're dragging it so some of the cast has enough time to age like they should.

I think they have over aged already. sansa's suppose to be 13 going on 14. Arya 11 going on 12. Robb was 16. Joffery 15, Jon 17. Some of those "boys" sure got hairy awfully fast. Joffery is the only one that appears to look the age he's suppose to be.

They are dragging it, but I don't thinks it's to allow the cast to age. I think all their jumping back and forth between books is making it harder to follow the story line.

Is is just me or did that leader of the unsullied seem a bit wimpy looking?

jimnyc
05-16-2013, 12:21 PM
I just watched season 3 episode 7 last night, which gets me up to date with HBO and now I must wait for new episodes like the common people. And there are only 3 episodes remaining for season 3. Still have like 6 months for "The Walking Dead" and now I'll be waiting on this one too? I should have waited till it was over, but after 2 episodes of GOT I was hooked worse than a crack addict and watched all 27 episodes faster than a crack addict hits his pipe!

Good stuff going on though. Pretty little Sansa is stuck marrying the half man, who IS now my favorite character. I can see Tyrion getting more and more upset with his treatment from his dear old dad and his sister. I thought he was a real fleabag in the beginning, but I like the little fucker now. He's actually got a soft spot.

I still hate Joffrey, that little cowardly weasel. And now he gets to marry that hottie? I hope she cuts his vocal cords while he sleeps.

Did John Snow really become a traitor?

I don't like her evil character, but Cersei is kinda hot too.

I can't imagine arya not ever making it back to her mother and brother, but her adventures make an excellent side story.

Of course I'm still hooked on Daenarys, and them awesome little dragons, which are now growing. She's got a soft spot too, but a definite evil for those she doesn't like. Seems she'll be a force to be reckoned with.

Lots of wannabe kings and only one throne. How many books were there? I'm wondering if the books will play out into seasons. In other words, we are nearing the end of season 3, is this also nearing the end of book 3?

Thunderknuckles
05-16-2013, 12:28 PM
Lots of wannabe kings and only one throne. How many books were there? I'm wondering if the books will play out into seasons. In other words, we are nearing the end of season 3, is this also nearing the end of book 3?
Currently there are 5 books. It will probably take about 3 more books just to finish the story so we have much more GoT to come.

jimnyc
05-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Currently there are 5 books. It will probably take about 3 more books just to finish the story so we have much more GoT to come.

Awesome. This show and the walking dead are the only shows that I've gotten excited about since The Soprano's went off the air. Oh, and Lost too, but I downloaded the entire series after it was over, so no waiting.

Gaffer
05-16-2013, 01:25 PM
Well Jim I could answer all of your questions, but that would spoil things so I won't. I do get a kick out of reading the speculations though.

They are running all the books together with this. They have scenes from book one through book three so far. They can't complete this in five seasons and do it justice. The last two or three books haven't even been completed and released yet.

The other series that I like and am waiting for the next season is Falling Skies.

Noir
05-17-2013, 07:48 AM
There are two books left for publication, Winds of Winter, and A Dream of Spring. Martin has said both will be 2 part books, with a rough length of 1500 pages. He's so far written about 400 pages of Winds, but says only 200 are totally finished.

And ofcourse when asked if the books would be finished on time, Martin replied Crows "Three years from now, when I'm sitting on 1,800 pages of manuscript with no end in sight, who the hell knows".

Thunderknuckles
05-17-2013, 09:54 AM
There are two books left for publication, Winds of Winter, and A Dream of Spring. Martin has said both will be 2 part books, with a rough length of 1500 pages. He's so far written about 400 pages of Winds, but says only 200 are totally finished.

And ofcourse when asked if the books would be finished on time, Martin replied Crows "Three years from now, when I'm sitting on 1,800 pages of manuscript with no end in sight, who the hell knows".
So essentially 4 books to go?
I swear I think Martin actually wants to die before finishing the series to just piss everyone off just like Robert Jordan.

Gaffer
05-17-2013, 12:15 PM
I swear I think Martin actually wants to die before finishing the series to just piss everyone off just like Robert Jordan.

You may be right. He's already pissed people off with book five. It's most definitely a WTF are you doing book.

Noir
05-17-2013, 12:57 PM

Kinda, only in the same sense that 'Dance of Dragons' is two books, same with 'Storm of Swords'

All in all there will probably be 11 softcover books
Game of thrones
Clash of kings
Storm of swords, Vol 1 and 2
Feast for crows
Dance of dragons Vol 1 and 2
Winds of Winter Vol 1 and 2
Dream of Spring Vol 1 and 2

jimnyc
05-17-2013, 01:23 PM
I'm an impatient bastard. I'm getting more and more tempted to ask for spoilers, but if I'm reading correctly, what I'm watching is not even finished yet? If this guy dies I will kill him a second time!!

Thunderknuckles
05-17-2013, 01:28 PM
I'm an impatient bastard. I'm getting more and more tempted to ask for spoilers, but if I'm reading correctly, what I'm watching is not even finished yet? If this guy dies I will kill him a second time!!
Read the books Jim!

jimnyc
05-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Read the books Jim!

Aren't they like thousands of pages? :poke:

Never was a reader. I recall reading one lengthy book in my life, and anything else I completed was smaller. I could read 40 newspapers and stay on the 'net reading for days though! That book I read was "Fighting Back", by Rocky Bleier of the Steelers. Played for them, had part of his foot blown off and 'fought back' to play again.

Gaffer
05-17-2013, 01:43 PM
Aren't they like thousands of pages? :poke:

Never was a reader. I recall reading one lengthy book in my life, and anything else I completed was smaller. I could read 40 newspapers and stay on the 'net reading for days though! That book I read was "Fighting Back", by Rocky Bleier of the Steelers. Played for them, had part of his foot blown off and 'fought back' to play again.

They are all around a thousand pages. Just start the first one as something to do when you can't sleep at night. It won't take long before your hooked. Then you can say, I see why they did that in the show, or hey that wasn't in the show, why did they leave that out?

DragonStryk72
05-17-2013, 01:46 PM
They are all around a thousand pages. Just start the first one as something to do when you can't sleep at night. It won't take long before your hooked. Then you can say, I see why they did that in the show, or hey that wasn't in the show, why did they leave that out?

I think most the leave outs have been based around try to fit a season into 10 hours of show.

jimnyc
05-17-2013, 01:50 PM

Remember, I have no patience. I'll get to like page 50 and then want the rest of the story in my little brain right then and there. Thousand pages and multiple books? LOL Not for me. What about an audio version? I might be able to handle that, I'll have to peek around...

Gaffer
05-17-2013, 02:04 PM
Remember, I have no patience. I'll get to like page 50 and then want the rest of the story in my little brain right then and there. Thousand pages and multiple books? LOL Not for me. What about an audio version? I might be able to handle that, I'll have to peek around...

Yeah there are audio versions out there. You could at least listen while you do other things.

Thunderknuckles
05-17-2013, 03:16 PM
Audio books for A Song of Fire and Ice? Way too expensive!
http://www.amazon.com/George-Martin-Song-Audiobook-Bundle/dp/0739352962

They need to make a budget version for us poor folks. Sure, it would be narrated by Fran Drescher but would probably save us a couple of Benjamins!

Gaffer
05-17-2013, 03:37 PM

They need to make a budget version for us poor folks. Sure, it would be narrated by Fran Drescher but would probably save us a couple of Benjamins!

There are other ways to acquire them, but would take a really large hard drive.

Thunderknuckles
05-17-2013, 03:56 PM
If Jim doesn't have the patience to read a book, he sure as hell doesn't have the patience required to steal the material. It's too much work!
This is what being a Steelers fan does to you.
Thankfully I'm an exception to that rule.

:beer:
Luv ya Jim!

Abbey Marie
05-17-2013, 04:14 PM
Ok, I'm not thrilled that from this thread I now know that Drogo returns. But- Drogo returns! Yay!

:bunny4:

Thunderknuckles
05-17-2013, 04:17 PM
Ok, I'm not thrilled that fromt his thread I now know that Drogo returns. But- Drogo returns! Yay!

Yes, Drogo returns the same way that Kate Upton returns my bedroom on occasion ;)

Gaffer
05-17-2013, 04:18 PM
Ok, I'm not thrilled that fromt his thread I now know that Drogo returns. But- Drogo returns! Yay!

Only for a short scene and it's all in her head. But enjoy.

Abbey Marie
05-17-2013, 04:48 PM
Only for a short scene and it's all in her head. But enjoy.

Dang, you guys giveth, and then you taketh away.

jimnyc
05-17-2013, 05:08 PM

If Jim doesn't have the patience to read a book, he sure as hell doesn't have the patience required to steal the material. It's too much work!
This is what being a Steelers fan does to you.
Thankfully I'm an exception to that rule.

:beer:
Luv ya Jim!

Too much work? I "think" it's mysteriously finding its way to me as I post this message. Anyone reading between the lines, and has an interest in the audio book, shoot me a PM and I can discuss how to get at a better price than Thunder has posted. :)

jimnyc
05-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Ok, I'm not thrilled that from this thread I now know that Drogo returns. But- Drogo returns! Yay!

That was me, I believe! Don't get too hyped for his return though...

SassyLady
06-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Anyone see last night's episode? What did you think?

Gaffer
06-03-2013, 10:13 PM
It was pretty good. Except, his wife was not at the red wedding. HBO is going to have a hard time if she shows up in book 6. They were kind of skimpy on the scene as there was a lot of blood shed and Robb was beheaded. So was his wolf. They could have at least had the terrible musicians and made comments about how bad they were. There was also a big battle outside the castle where Robb's army was routed.

Anyone else notice old man Frey is Mr Filch from the Harry Potter movies?

So how many were surprised?

SassyLady
06-03-2013, 10:29 PM
It was pretty good. Except, his wife was not at the red wedding. HBO is going to have a hard time if she shows up in book 6. They were kind of skimpy on the scene as there was a lot of blood shed and Robb was beheaded. So was his wolf. They could have at least had the terrible musicians and made comments about how bad they were. There was also a big battle outside the castle where Robb's army was routed.

Anyone else notice old man Frey is Mr Filch from the Harry Potter movies?

So how many were surprised?

Even knowing it was going to happen didn't take away the shock value. However, compared to the book it was pretty tame. I didn't like Frey went they went through the first time and he extracted the original oath. He is a slime ball.

And Gaffer, you are right about King Robb's wife. I was surprised that she was at the wedding, and also surprised that she was not a noblewoman as in the book. HBO has taken many liberties which is why I continue to watch the series ... just to see what is different.

Ayra was so close!!!

Anyone have a list of those they would like to meet a fate worse than death ... we should start our own little list like Ayra has.

All the Freys for being turncoats and murderers
The Red Priestess
Cersei

Pretty much everyone else I wanted dead is gone, but so are some of my favs. Now I don't know what to do with myself. Series is over for this season and no more books to read.

Anyone have an idea when the next book in the series comes out?

Gaffer
06-04-2013, 07:54 AM
Martin never gives a time frame when the next book will be out. He said when he makes predictions they are always wrong. He did say it was 1500 pages.

They should show more of Arya reciting her list. Any list made here should only be made by those who haven't read the books.

Also Bran is starting to show the real power he posses as a warg. "No ordinary warg could control Hodor."

Dany has captured another city. Again we got short changed in the action.

Noir
06-04-2013, 08:55 AM
It was pretty good. Except, his wife was not at the red wedding. HBO is going to have a hard time if she shows up in book 6.

Martin is involved in the script writing for the show, so he will of a-okay'd her death. She won't be appearing in any more books, at least certainly not as a character with any influence.

Thunderknuckles
06-04-2013, 09:48 AM
Still waiting to watch it on my DVR. I was hoping the Red Wedding would be more entertaining. Sounds like you guys were a bit disappointed :(

SassyLady
06-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Still waiting to watch it on my DVR. I was hoping the Red Wedding would be more entertaining. Sounds like you guys were a bit disappointed :(

It was still a shock even after reading the book. Was hoping that with all the other "artistic license" that HBO is participating in they would have changed something.

I did like the way that there was no theme music at the end of the episode .... the absolute quiet as they ran the credits was profound.

Abbey Marie
06-12-2013, 08:40 PM
My husband and I were disappointed in the season finale. Seemed like a let-down, especially after the craziness of previous week's episode. Comments?

Gaffer
06-12-2013, 09:28 PM
I was disappointed too. I was expecting at least some cliff hangers. It sure didn't end like a season finale.

Thunderknuckles
06-13-2013, 12:32 AM
It was still a shock even after reading the book. Was hoping that with all the other "artistic license" that HBO is participating in they would have changed something.

I did like the way that there was no theme music at the end of the episode .... the absolute quiet as they ran the credits was profound.
Agreed. I know it must have shocked the hell out of people that did not read the books. The silence following the conclusion was indeed profound. It left you to process the gravity of what happened.

As Abbey and Gaffer stated, the actual season finale was a huge let down. I was falling asleep just trying to get through it. The good news is, if I recall correctly in the story line, we are at the point where there will be some major developments early on next season and that is all I will say on the matter :)

PixieStix
02-25-2015, 02:06 PM
Season 6 is scheduled to premiere on April 12, 2015. I am looking forward. A great show