PDA

View Full Version : US May Be In Iraq For 'Another 50 Years'

Pale Rider
06-02-2007, 01:12 PM
US may be in Iraq for 'another 50 years'

June 02, 2007 01:00am

THE US Defence Secretary suggested for the first time yesterday that American forces could be in Iraq for at least another half century, under an arrangement similar to the effectively permanent US troop deployment in South Korea.

In comments that will dismay war opponents at home and alarm Muslim allies in the Middle East, Robert Gates said that "some force of Americans" will be in Iraq for a "protracted period of time" and pointed to South Korea as the model.

US troops have been in South Korea since the end of the 1950-53 Korean War, in the heavily armed demilitarised zone that separates the country from North Korea.

US generals are in charge of the combined US-South Korean forces.

Mr Gates, speaking to reporters in Hawaii during a visit to US Pacific Command, said that current war plans still called for an assessment of the US "surge" strategy in September, but he said he was looking beyond that to the type of military presence the US would have in Iraq over the long term.

He contrasted the situation in South Korea to Vietnam, where, he said, "we just left, lock, stock and barrel", a reference to the US withdrawal after the fall of Saigon in1975.

"What I'm thinking in terms of is a mutual agreement where some force of Americans - with mutually agreed missions - is present for a protracted period of time," he said.

"The idea is more a model of a mutually agreed arrangement whereby we have a long and enduring presence but under the consent of both parties and under certain conditions.

"The Korea model is one, the security relationship we have with Japan is another."

All eyes in Washington are on the progress report to Congress in September by General David Petraeus, the US ground commander, with moderate Republicans saying that anything less than significant optimism will end their support for President George W. Bush.

Yesterday, General Raymond Odierno, the No.2 commander in Iraq, told reporters in Washington via video link from Baghdad that he might not be able to make a full assessment by September of whether the build-up was succeeding in stabilising Iraq.

General Odierno admitted that in an effort to quell violence, the US military was seeking talks with Shia Muslim cleric Moqtada al-Sadr - believed to be behind the kidnapping of five Britons this week.

A Sadr aide confirmed US officials had approached the anti-American cleric's supporters, but said Sadr would never begin a dialogue with "occupation forces".

"He has a grass-roots movement that he's always going to have; we have to recognise that," General Odierno said in an interview this week.

"We're trying to talk to him. We want to talk to him."

In the video conference from Baghdad yesterday, General Odierno said the US was reaching out to Sunni Muslims as well as Shia armed factions such as Sadr's Mahdi Army.

The Times, Washington, in The Australian

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,21836272-401,00.html?from=public_rss

5stringJeff
06-02-2007, 01:13 PM
That's gonna fly like...

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/730937/2/istockphoto_730937_come_down_like_a_ton_of_bricks. jpg

Pale Rider
06-02-2007, 01:26 PM
That's gonna fly like...

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/730937/2/istockphoto_730937_come_down_like_a_ton_of_bricks. jpg

The war in Iraq really has until September to justify why we are still there. After that, (and nothing will be different), I suspect ALL public support for it will be gone.

If we're there for another fifty years, our troops will be getting blown up and their asses shot off for another fifty years, period. They've been fighting like that for thousands of years. The muslims embrace blood and death. I just saw another video on Fox News last night of FIVE YEAR OLDS being trained as terrorists, and reciting chants about blowing themselves up for allah. That means there is not going to be any change in what is going on for at LEAST another generation.

Doniston
06-02-2007, 01:39 PM
Why would anyone suppose the US is building permanent bases in Iraq if it wasn't intended that we stay. the only way to stop it is for the Citizens of the US to act, and insist that Bush leave.

Rahul
06-03-2007, 05:30 AM
Why would anyone suppose the US is building permanent bases in Iraq if it wasn't intended that we stay. the only way to stop it is for the Citizens of the US to act, and insist that Bush leave.

Unfortunately Bush and co. don't particularly care about what US citizens want (an overwhelming majority are now AGAINST the war in Iraq).

Amazing what greed (read oil money) can do to someone.

Rahul
06-03-2007, 05:32 AM
The muslims embrace blood and death. I just saw another video on Fox News last night of FIVE YEAR OLDS being trained as terrorists, and reciting chants about blowing themselves up for allah. That means there is not going to be any change in what is going on for at LEAST another generation.

I disagree.

First off, Fox News is not the most unbiased source out there.

Second, not all Muslims are terrorists - all Muslims do NOT train their kids to be terrorists either. What you are referring to is extremist Muslims whose views aren't indicative of Muslims in general.

Psychoblues
06-03-2007, 05:39 AM
I agree with pr that we cannot stay there. Otherwise I agree with you.

I disagree.

First off, Fox News is not the most unbiased source out there.

Second, not all Muslims are terrorists - all Muslims do NOT train their kids to be terrorists either. What you are referring to is extremist Muslims whose views aren't indicative of Muslims in general.

The distortions of FauxNews is hampering the collective intelligence of responsible Americans to understand and properly react to the very real actions of those that want you and me dead on arrival.

Rahul
06-03-2007, 05:47 AM
The distortions of FauxNews is hampering the collective intelligence of responsible Americans to understand and properly react to the very real actions of those that want you and me dead on arrival.

I agree. In addition, this sort of misinformation also increases the general level of paranoia ... as if things aren't tense enough already in the US without Fox adding to it.

Psychoblues
06-03-2007, 05:57 AM
Rupert Murdoch has a niche' market and he intends to exploit it to the very last cent he can. He is certainly self connected as his political opinions are well known.

I agree. In addition, this sort of misinformation also increases the general level of paranoia ... as if things aren't tense enough already in the US without Fox adding to it.

His latest endeavor is to shut down and/or take over PBS. There is no end to the profit taking. Most Americans reject his opinions and his business practises but enough do to make his agenda profittable. What a Deal!!!!!!!!!!!

Gaffer
06-03-2007, 07:29 AM
most Americans, most Americans, most Americans. It that suppose to prove something? Just because you say most Americans makes it correct and unimpeachabale?

Most Americans watch FOX news. Most muslims are terrorist.

The video shown on FOX news has been floating around the internet sites for many days before FOX picked it up. They are late with it as usual. Of course that same piece of video doesn't appear on any other news channel.

If we are going to change the face of the middle east we need to establish bases to operate from there. Kinda like building a fort in indian country. Then slowly import western ideaologies and westernize the area. It will take generations.

Rahul
06-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Rupert Murdoch has a niche' market and he intends to exploit it to the very last cent he can. He is certainly self connected as his political opinions are well known.

His latest endeavor is to shut down and/or take over PBS. There is no end to the profit taking. Most Americans reject his opinions and his business practises but enough do to make his agenda profittable. What a Deal!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. Apparently nevadamedic didn't though, judging by the -7 rep points he handed out. :lol:

How does the rep point system work anyway??

Rahul

stephanie
06-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Monday, May 28, 2007
YouTube Deletes Copy of Hamas Video

The Hamas supporter at YouTube who goes by the name “engahmed” has now gotten YouTube to delete the second copy of his evil child abuse video; isn’t it nice that YouTube is protecting the jihadis’ copyrights, while allowing them to post videos glorifying terrorism and murder?

So here it is again, with a local copy this time, because Hamas should not be allowed to hide this stuff, with or without YouTube’s complicity.

Children in Gaza perform a monstrous “play,” dressed as suicide bombers and terrorists, waving knives and guns, in front of a crowd of doting parents.

Video at their site....
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=25654_YouTube_Deletes_Copy_of_Hamas_Video&only
(Video player requires Flash Player.)

UPDATE at 5/28/07 10:22:46 am:

Here’s the video in Quicktime format; I invite you to download it and spread it around as much as possible.

20070527HamasKidsPlay.mov

gabosaurus
06-03-2007, 08:48 PM
That may be what the military hierarchy and the Bush apologists want. But it is not reality.

The reality is, American involvement will end shortly after the new President and Congress take office in 2009. With Democrats in control of the White House and holding a large majority in both chambers, the Bush era of international terrorism will be over.
Our troops can come home where they belong. :salute:

Rahul
06-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Monday, May 28, 2007
YouTube Deletes Copy of Hamas Video

The Hamas supporter at YouTube who goes by the name “engahmed” has now gotten YouTube to delete the second copy of his evil child abuse video; isn’t it nice that YouTube is protecting the jihadis’ copyrights, while allowing them to post videos glorifying terrorism and murder?

So here it is again, with a local copy this time, because Hamas should not be allowed to hide this stuff, with or without YouTube’s complicity.

Children in Gaza perform a monstrous “play,” dressed as suicide bombers and terrorists, waving knives and guns, in front of a crowd of doting parents.

Video at their site....
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=25654_YouTube_Deletes_Copy_of_Hamas_Video&only
(Video player requires Flash Player.)

UPDATE at 5/28/07 10:22:46 am:

Here’s the video in Quicktime format; I invite you to download it and spread it around as much as possible.

20070527HamasKidsPlay.mov

I'm not sure what a Hamas related video on YOU TuBE has got to do with Bush staying in Iraq ...

Dilloduck
06-03-2007, 09:00 PM
That may be what the military hierarchy and the Bush apologists want. But it is not reality.

The reality is, American involvement will end shortly after the new President and Congress take office in 2009. With Democrats in control of the White House and holding a large majority in both chambers, the Bush era of international terrorism will be over.
Our troops can come home where they belong. :salute:

And who would that next president be ?

gabosaurus
06-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Unless the Dems are total idiots and nomination Hillary, the next president will not be Republican. Both Houses of Congress will be close to two-thirds Democratic. American involvement in Iraq will then end completely. The Iraqis can go back to killing each other.

glockmail
06-04-2007, 07:35 PM
most Americans, most Americans, most Americans. It that suppose to prove something? Just because you say most Americans makes it correct and unimpeachabale?

Most Americans watch FOX news. Most muslims are terrorist.

The video shown on FOX news has been floating around the internet sites for many days before FOX picked it up. They are late with it as usual. Of course that same piece of video doesn't appear on any other news channel.

If we are going to change the face of the middle east we need to establish bases to operate from there. Kinda like building a fort in indian country. Then slowly import western ideaologies and westernize the area. It will take generations.

Bingo. Just like we also did in Germany and Japan.

Doniston
06-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Unless the Dems are total idiots and nomination Hillary, the next president will not be Republican. Both Houses of Congress will be close to two-thirds Democratic. American involvement in Iraq will then end completely. The Iraqis can go back to killing each other. I wish you were right about it ending completely, but I doubt that very much.