PDA

View Full Version : So it begins

jafar00
05-13-2013, 03:22 PM
Harassment of people who buy or transport pressure cookers has begun in earnest.

Saudi man arrested in Detroit after statement on pressure cooker(Reuters) - A Saudi Arabian man was arrested in Detroit and charged with making a false statement about why he brought a pressure cooker with him on a flight from Amsterdam, according to a criminal complaint filed on Monday.
Hussain al-Khawahir, 33, arrived at the Detroit airport on Saturday and was questioned about why he had brought a pressure cooker with him. The man's name was spelled al-Khawahir in the criminal complaint, while a spokeswoman at the U.S. attorney's office had earlier said it was al-Kwawahir.
He initially said the pressure cooker was for his nephew, a university student in Toledo, Ohio.
"The Defendant then changed his story and admitted his nephew had purchased a pressure cooker in America before but it 'was cheap' and broke after the first use," the complaint said.
Pressure cookers packed with explosive powder and shrapnel were set off at the finish line of the Boston Marathon on April 15, where they killed three people and injured 264. The bombs, left on the ground, caused gruesome injuries with more than 10 people losing limbs, either directly from the blasts or when doctors had to amputate the badly-mangled limbs.
Al-Khawahir was also charged with altering his passport because a page was torn out of the document, the complaint said.
A hearing was held on Monday in federal court in Detroit on the case but no action was taken in order to give prosecutors more time to investigate al-Khawahir, a spokeswoman for the prosecutor's office said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/13/us-usa-security-detroit-idUSBRE94C0V620130513?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=992637

After I read this thread http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?40743-FBI-surrounds-house-of-Saudi-student-with-pressure-cooker-pot it is getting out of hand.

red states rule
05-13-2013, 03:24 PM
Harassment of people who buy or transport pressure cookers has begun in earnest.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/13/us-usa-security-detroit-idUSBRE94C0V620130513?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=992637

After I read this thread http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?40743-FBI-surrounds-house-of-Saudi-student-with-pressure-cooker-pot it is getting out of hand.

I thought you would support it

Whenever a gun is used to kill people -you yell for more gun control. All that does is infringe on the rights of law abiding citizens

So what is wrong with pressure cooker control?

Marcus Aurelius
05-13-2013, 03:25 PM

dumb ass...

Al-Khawahir was also charged with altering his passport because a page was torn out of the document, the complaint said.

ALTERED PASSPORT. CRIME.

Why the lie about the pressure cooker?

Marcus Aurelius
05-13-2013, 03:26 PM

Whenever a gun is used to kill people -you yell for more gun control. All that does is infringe on the rights of law abiding citizens

The guy was Muslim, that's Jahils problem. If the guy was Jewish, Jahil would have applauded.

jimnyc
05-13-2013, 03:40 PM
A couple of Muslims just blew people up using a pressure cooker. I think it makes complete sense to proceed with extreme caution when presented with someone carrying one right now, especially in sensitive areas. One must admit, it's not something people generally travel around with. Once the item is cleared, and the story doesn't jive, I have no issue with them looking into him either.

DragonStryk72
05-13-2013, 04:20 PM
dumb ass...

ALTERED PASSPORT. CRIME.

You mean he bought his nephew a new pressure cooker to replace the one that was cheap and broke? Yeah, I know, no one ever replaces anything that has ever broken, but still, the two statements are not contradictory, thus, no lie.

jimnyc
05-13-2013, 04:28 PM
You mean he bought his nephew a new pressure cooker to replace the one that was cheap and broke? Yeah, I know, no one ever replaces anything that has ever broken, but still, the two statements are not contradictory, thus, no lie.

Just the differing stories alone are enough, IMO. Traveling into America with a pressure cooker, a month after one was used to commit a terror attack? I'm not saying people shouldn't be allowed to buy them, or travel with them, but it's not unreasonable IMO that some would take notice at this time, or that he would be questioned about traveling with one.

Noir
05-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Maybe i'm being stupid, but i don't see how the story changed...

Like 'i bought this for my nephew' and 'my nephew bought one recently that broke' don't contradict each other.
Whether the story is true or not is another matter, but as i read it 'My nephew bought one that broke, so i bought him a new one' is just one story.

Marcus Aurelius
05-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=637706#post637706) dumb ass...

ALTERED PASSPORT. CRIME.

No, the one where the first thing he said was he brought it for his nephew because they didn't sell them in the US. I guess you missed that part.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130513/METRO01/305130415

Al Khawahir said he brought the pressure cooker for his nephew because the devices are not sold in the United States, according to the complaint.

jimnyc
05-13-2013, 05:17 PM
Maybe i'm being stupid, but i don't see how the story changed...

Like 'i bought this for my nephew' and 'my nephew bought one recently that broke' don't contradict each other.
Whether the story is true or not is another matter, but as i read it 'My nephew bought one that broke, so i bought him a new one' is just one story.

Yeah, I think the story was misleading on that part and we need more info. Here is the part that is causing the confusion:

"The Defendant then changed his story and admitted his nephew had purchased a pressure cooker in America before but it 'was cheap' and broke after the first use,"

It's hard to blame posters for thinking he changed his story, when the article says he did, but they don't backup those words very well.

Now, THIS article gives a little bit of a different version:

The complaint says Al Kwawahir originally said he brought the pressure cooker with him because pressure cookers aren't sold in America, then later said his nephew had bought one but it "was cheap" and broke after one use.

Now that is definitely 2 different versions, but could still be innocent mistake.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57584242/saudi-man-with-pressure-cooker-arrested-at-detroit-airport/

jafar00
05-13-2013, 08:37 PM

How many people are attacked every day with pressure cookers vs guns? By this logic, they should ban Boeing 757s and 767s because they were used on 9/11?

A couple of Muslims just blew people up using a pressure cooker. I think it makes complete sense to proceed with extreme caution when presented with someone carrying one right now, especially in sensitive areas. One must admit, it's not something people generally travel around with. Once the item is cleared, and the story doesn't jive, I have no issue with them looking into him either.

A couple of Christians just shot up a Mother's Day parade. Are they now going to question every Christian with a gun?

Gaffer
05-13-2013, 08:47 PM
How many people are attacked every day with pressure cookers vs guns? By this logic, they should ban Boeing 757s and 767s because they were used on 9/11?

A couple of Christians just shot up a Mother's Day parade. Are they now going to question every Christian with a gun?

What makes you think they are christians? The initial report said there were three men shooting. There is a video that only shows one man shooting into the crowd. He's black. Most likely a gang banger. Most assuredly he's an obama voter. And quite possibly he's a muslim converted in prison. As things progress will see how close I am.

aboutime
05-13-2013, 09:18 PM

Even IF...they are Christians as you claim jafar. How would you like to provide proof that they are. And tell us. How many of those supposed Christians...YOU HATE SO MUCH...killed hundreds with IED's, or Wearing Hamas style Explosive Vests????

Just give us some facts to back up your accusations. Like we present facts to you about the Religion of Peace.

jafar00
05-13-2013, 09:42 PM
What makes you think they are christians? The initial report said there were three men shooting. There is a video that only shows one man shooting into the crowd. He's black. Most likely a gang banger. Most assuredly he's an obama voter. And quite possibly he's a muslim converted in prison. As things progress will see how close I am.

Just going by Tyr logic. Every bad guy has a religion attached to his actions. They could be Atheists or even Animists. I thought calling them "Christian" might provoke a reaction :)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Just going by Tyr logic. Every bad guy has a religion attached to his actions. They could be Atheists or even Animists. I thought calling them "Christian" might provoke a reaction :)

Hey, don't try to use me as a scapegoat when your folly is tossed back at you by Gaffer.

Not every bad guy has a religion attached to his name. I've known plenty of bad guys back in my youth that were not Christian and had no religion at all. -Tyr

Marcus Aurelius
05-13-2013, 10:20 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by jimnyc http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=637720#post637720)

There is proof the Marathon bombers were MUSLIM.

Please, show us your proof the parade shooters were Christian, you dumb ass.

Gaffer
05-13-2013, 10:30 PM

Most bad guys have only personal greed attached to their actions. Only muslims do evil actions in the name of their religion and even that is greed, because they think they are going to some kind of heaven.

This guy doing the shooting is a classic example of the sub-human Drum was talking about. I've dealt with these kind before and they are low on the evolutionary scale. Self centered, greedy and dumb as a box of rocks.

Nothing wrong with Tyr's logic. He's got it right. He sees the same things I see in islam.

DragonStryk72
05-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Just the differing stories alone are enough, IMO. Traveling into America with a pressure cooker, a month after one was used to commit a terror attack? I'm not saying people shouldn't be allowed to buy them, or travel with them, but it's not unreasonable IMO that some would take notice at this time, or that he would be questioned about traveling with one.

But they don't differ. one is simply a more long-winded explanation than the other. Its like if I ask you why you're buying a toy, and you say "its for my kid". then I go, "wait, doesn't he have one?" "Well yeah, but it broke, so I'm replacing it."

those are not different stories, its the same story with extra explanation.

DragonStryk72
05-13-2013, 11:05 PM
No, the one where the first thing he said was he brought it for his nephew because they didn't sell them in the US. I guess you missed that part.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130513/METRO01/305130415

So he bought a brand he knew and trusted from home? that's still not a lie, its not even differing. Its just another point on why he had it on him.

Marcus Aurelius
05-13-2013, 11:07 PM
So he bought a brand he knew and trusted from home? that's still not a lie, its not even differing. Its just another point on why he had it on him.

that's twice now you've ignored the 'BECAUSE THEY DON'T SELL THEM IN THE UNITED STATES' part. Why are you ignoring the lie?

Al Khawahir said he brought the pressure cooker for his nephew because the devices are not sold in the United States, according to the complaint.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130513/METRO01/305130415#ixzz2TEjbIoFm

red states rule
05-14-2013, 02:47 AM
Most bad guys have only personal greed attached to their actions. Only muslims do evil actions in the name of their religion and even that is greed, because they think they are going to some kind of heaven.

This guy doing the shooting is a classic example of the sub-human Drum was talking about. I've dealt with these kind before and they are low on the evolutionary scale. Self centered, greedy and dumb as a box of rocks.

Nothing wrong with Tyr's logic. He's got it right. He sees the same things I see in islam.

I cannot recall any Christian running around shooting every person he saw while screaming in the name of God

Meanwhile the Ft Hood shooter yelled in praise of Allah as he gunned down unarmed people

and Obama calls those murders "workplace violence"

jimnyc
05-14-2013, 05:22 AM

This guy was ultimately questioned because he was saw with a pressure cooker. I'm confident that he would have been questioned if it were a gun as well, whether he was Christian or Muslim. Probably more so since it's illegal to bring a gun on a plane, but not illegal for a pressure cooker. But it's still VERY wise to question a foreign person, traveling with a pressure cooker, such a short time after a terror attack using one.

jimnyc
05-14-2013, 05:30 AM

Never mind, I thought you were telling something factual. I stand by my initial response, even if the guys at the parade were Christian, Muslim or aliens.

Jafar - is Islam, being a Muslim, a way of life as I am told by my Muslim friends? I was told that Islam, the person, and Sharia (not law) are all inseparable and is part of what it is to being a Muslim? The majority of people here in the US don't identify by a religion as Muslims do, that's the simple truth. So whether the religion is part of an attack or not (which obviously it isn't), the person is still a Muslim. You seem to think that ANY Muslim that does ANYTHING wrong, is instantly NOT a Muslim the very moment they do something you disagree with. If they were a Muslim every waking moment of their lives up till that point, then commit a despicable act, they are STILL Muslims - just Muslims who have committed a terrible act, which is against the teachings of most if Islam.

No different than if a Christian commits a terrible act - EXCEPT - these people aren't inseparable from their religion and the majority of Christians don't consider their religion as their very way of life. And if one does, he also didn't learn from Christianity, but he/she is hardly dismissed from being a Christian instantly.

AND, I'm also sure, ANY person doing something great, valuable, wonderful.... and is in an Islamic nation - will be delivered as a "Muslim", even if the deed he did had nothing to do with the teachings of Islam.

jimnyc
05-14-2013, 05:36 AM
But they don't differ. one is simply a more long-winded explanation than the other. Its like if I ask you why you're buying a toy, and you say "its for my kid". then I go, "wait, doesn't he have one?" "Well yeah, but it broke, so I'm replacing it."

those are not different stories, its the same story with extra explanation.

Do they sell them in the USA? Yep. But he said they didn't. Then he said they did but it broke. Not a huge deal, IMO, but it IS a difference. Even an addition to a story is a difference. I'm not saying he lied, or that the words were contrary, just that it was different.

I think so long as they get his passport in order, which was missing a page, he should be fine. Unless of course, that missing page showed he was recently in Pakistan or Yemen! LOL

Oh, and I am all for being cautious when dealing with authorities - but if it's a simple misunderstanding, why invoke the right to remain silent and no longer speak about a benign pressure cooker and a simple passport?

Voted4Reagan
05-14-2013, 05:39 AM
They could be Atheists or even Animists. I thought calling them "Christian" might provoke a reaction :)

Thats called TROLLING Jafar.... and it serves no real good purpose except to cause fights...

Nukeman
05-14-2013, 06:32 AM
that's twice now you've ignored the 'BECAUSE THEY DON'T SELL THEM IN THE UNITED STATES' part. Why are you ignoring the lie?Personally I think the guy was an idiot for bringing it in. that being said I think YOU are reading more into it than needs to be. I see it this way. "I bought it for my nephew." "his broke so I bought him one THEY DON'T SELL IN THE US". Just because I say they don't sell something doesnt mean they don't sell a item but a particular brand.. Well I think you get the picture...

I have used this same line for stuff myself..
:thumb:

jimnyc
05-14-2013, 07:24 AM
Personally I think the guy was an idiot for bringing it in. that being said I think YOU are reading more into it than needs to be. I see it this way. "I bought it for my nephew." "his broke so I bought him one THEY DON'T SELL IN THE US". Just because I say they don't sell something doesnt mean they don't sell a item but a particular brand.. Well I think you get the picture...

I have used this same line for stuff myself..
:thumb:

I'm not ready to say it's a huge deal yet either.... BUT, even the smallest of differences, with someone transporting a pressure cooker on a plane, is something that will be looked into. We were hit with planes AND with a few pressure cookers. The slightest difference in story versions, even if innocent, is enough to have it looked into further.

It's possible it's 100% innocent and will be an afterthought in a few days. But I still don't think anyone acted improperly. Even leave out any words from the guy at all, and I think it's still something that should be looked into. Traveling on a plane with a pressure cooker, at this stage, is something to be concerned about, no matter who is flying, even a lily white New Yorker! :)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-14-2013, 08:37 PM

We are dead on the money about it and that is what Jafar does not like. So he tries the silly counter , weak arguments. -Tyr

red states rule
05-17-2013, 04:04 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-w6xXSABXtHc/Tp8TWwW2AwI/AAAAAAAAE84/URyhS7LhEUQ/s1600/Hamas-Mart.jpg

jafar00
05-22-2013, 12:00 AM

The vast majority of terrorist attacks are not because of nor are they supported by religion. Terrorism by definition is a political act. Maybe they want power? Maybe they feel wronged and lash out with terrorism? Maybe they want to control the population by fear? This would be the personal greed you mentioned yourself.

Apparently the Boston bombers were motivated by the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. US invasions were the cause, and the reaction was made by two men of questionable sanity.

I cannot recall any Christian running around shooting every person he saw while screaming in the name of God

Meanwhile the Ft Hood shooter yelled in praise of Allah as he gunned down unarmed people

and Obama calls those murders "workplace violence"

Arabs say Allahu Akbar about a lot of things. You are blowing it out of proportion.

Never mind, I thought you were telling something factual. I stand by my initial response, even if the guys at the parade were Christian, Muslim or aliens.

Jafar - is Islam, being a Muslim, a way of life as I am told by my Muslim friends? I was told that Islam, the person, and Sharia (not law) are all inseparable and is part of what it is to being a Muslim? The majority of people here in the US don't identify by a religion as Muslims do, that's the simple truth. So whether the religion is part of an attack or not (which obviously it isn't), the person is still a Muslim. You seem to think that ANY Muslim that does ANYTHING wrong, is instantly NOT a Muslim the very moment they do something you disagree with. If they were a Muslim every waking moment of their lives up till that point, then commit a despicable act, they are STILL Muslims - just Muslims who have committed a terrible act, which is against the teachings of most if Islam.

No different than if a Christian commits a terrible act - EXCEPT - these people aren't inseparable from their religion and the majority of Christians don't consider their religion as their very way of life. And if one does, he also didn't learn from Christianity, but he/she is hardly dismissed from being a Christian instantly.

AND, I'm also sure, ANY person doing something great, valuable, wonderful.... and is in an Islamic nation - will be delivered as a "Muslim", even if the deed he did had nothing to do with the teachings of Islam.

Indeed they could be Muslims up until they committed that vile act, but in the afterlife, they would be judged for their actions and end up burning in hell as Mushriq (hypocrites) for acting contrary to what Islam teaches.

Thats called TROLLING Jafar.... and it serves no real good purpose except to cause fights...

And the other xxx threads trolling Islam or myself are not trolling? See RSR's post above btw ;)

logroller
05-22-2013, 01:45 AM
that's twice now you've ignored the 'BECAUSE THEY DON'T SELL THEM IN THE UNITED STATES' part. Why are you ignoring the lie?
If 'them' is a pressure cooker of known quality then it wasn't a lie, just a misunderstanding. The altered passport is far more suspect.

red states rule
05-22-2013, 02:26 AM
http://floppingaces.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/feinsein-pressure-cooker-ban.jpg

jimnyc
05-22-2013, 05:50 AM
Indeed they could be Muslims up until they committed that vile act, but in the afterlife, they would be judged for their actions and end up burning in hell as Mushriq (hypocrites) for acting contrary to what Islam teaches.

No doubt. I'm not necessarily saying Islam taught a terrorist how to make bombs or how to kill people, just that they are Muslims by life and by identification. Of course I believe they went off the rails and will burn in hell. I also believe that many Muslims get a warped version of their religion, likely taught to them from a radical. I suppose what I mean is that there are varying degrees, from a perfect Muslim who follows their religion and holy book, to a warped Muslim who makes his own story out of the book to support his/her evil ways.

When I say "A Muslim committed a horrible and evil act" - that doesn't mean that I am saying Islam taught this and it's Islam's fault, it's simply an identifier. Unless of course I, or another, literally types the words and blames Islam, which I admit you face here, and even I have stated. But I don't blame Islam for terrorists, but I blame Islamic radicals for terrorists.

jimnyc
05-22-2013, 05:51 AM
If 'them' is a pressure cooker of known quality then it wasn't a lie, just a misunderstanding. The altered passport is far more suspect.

Agreed about the passport. And I don't think it was necessarily a lie either, but it WAS differing versions, even if innocently stated. When you have a crappy passport, and a pressure cooker a few weeks after Boston, the differing versions tend to seem a little more suspicious, and I don't think it's wrong to have at least investigated.

Gaffer
05-22-2013, 07:56 AM
The vast majority of terrorist attacks are not because of nor are they supported by religion. Terrorism by definition is a political act. Maybe they want power? Maybe they feel wronged and lash out with terrorism? Maybe they want to control the population by fear? This would be the personal greed you mentioned yourself.

Apparently the Boston bombers were motivated by the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. US invasions were the cause, and the reaction was made by two men of questionable sanity.

Arabs say Allahu Akbar about a lot of things. You are blowing it out of proportion.

And the other xxx threads trolling Islam or myself are not trolling? See RSR's post above btw ;)

The vast majority of attacks ARE inspired by and supported by the religion of islam. islam is a political religion which is designed to dominate. Making suicidal attacks and trying to kill as many people as possible is not wanting power. It's expecting some sort of reward and recognition. The imam's and leaders of islam want to control the people and use these fools to achieve their goals. The greed I refer to is the greed of the perpetrators, not their handlers.

Two guys from Chechnya are inspired because of iraq and afghan? I don't buy that at all. They were inspired by islam, period. They were muslims because they committed that vile act. It was the driving factor behind everything they did. If there's an after life they are in hell for being muslims.

aboutime
05-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Just wondering if ANYONE has been keeping a count of the number of different defensive Excuses jafar has used per month, week, and daily.
What will he do when he runs out of the excuses already used???

DragonStryk72
05-22-2013, 01:49 PM

Not ignoring it, but there are plenty of brands of things not sold in the US. Hell, you get a different Coke if you're in Ireland. Do you really believe that no country out there make pressure cookers that they feel are a solid, reliable brand of the product?

DragonStryk72
05-22-2013, 01:55 PM
Do they sell them in the USA? Yep. But he said they didn't. Then he said they did but it broke. Not a huge deal, IMO, but it IS a difference. Even an addition to a story is a difference. I'm not saying he lied, or that the words were contrary, just that it was different.

I think so long as they get his passport in order, which was missing a page, he should be fine. Unless of course, that missing page showed he was recently in Pakistan or Yemen! LOL

Oh, and I am all for being cautious when dealing with authorities - but if it's a simple misunderstanding, why invoke the right to remain silent and no longer speak about a benign pressure cooker and a simple passport?

No, he said the one he bought wasn't sold in the US. Even a moron wouldn't claim we don't sell pressure cookers here. He said the brand of cooker the kid bought was cheap, and so it broke, so let's follow logic for a moment: His nephew bought an inferior brand of pressure cooker, and it broke down. His uncle, wanting to be nice, bought a pressure cooker of a brand he trusts that is sold on the other side of the Earth (aka in the uncle's neighborhood), and brings it here to give to his nephew.

It's like if your son bought some crap brand of car, and you were going to replace it yourself. Are you just going to get him another of the one that broke down because it was badly built, or are you going to lean him toward a brand of vehicle that you believe is solid and reliable?

BillyBob
05-22-2013, 04:12 PM
So which brand of pressure cooker gets the 'Allah Seal of Approval'?