PDA

View Full Version : Congressional Minority Bill of Rights: Then and Now

Bubbalicious
01-24-2007, 03:08 PM
Then:

Pelosi Seeks House Minority 'Bill of Rights' (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A680-2004Jun23.html)
Hastert Dismisses Democrats' Complaint, Saying GOP Record Is Better Than Foes'

By Charles Babington
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, June 24, 2004; Page A23

House Democrats' anger at heavy-handed Republican tactics reached a new level yesterday, with the chamber's top Democrat asking the House speaker to embrace a "Bill of Rights" for the minority, regardless which party it is.

In keeping with the general atmosphere of the House these days, aides to Speaker J. Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) said he will not respond to the two-page proposal from Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.).

For decades, the party in power has used House parliamentary rules to limit the minority party's ability to amend bills and shape debates. But Democrats -- in the minority for 10 years after four decades of control -- say Republicans have gone to unreasonable lengths in recent years. GOP leaders dispute this, but congressional scholars and even some rank-and-file Republicans agree in whole or in part.

Pelosi's document, which she vows to honor if Democrats regain the majority, says: "Too often, incivility and the heavy hand of the majority" have silenced Democrats and choked off "thoughtful debate." She called on the majority to let the minority offer meaningful amendments and substitutes to important bills; to limit roll-call votes to the normal 15 minutes rather than keeping them open to round up needed votes; and to let all appointees to House-Senate conference committees participate in meetings and decisions.

"When we are shut out, they are shutting out the great diversity of America," Pelosi said in an interview. "We want a return to civility; we want to set a higher standard."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

and Now

01-03-2007

GOP Wants 'Minority Bill of Rights' in House (http://www.citizenlink.org/CLBriefs/A000003535.cfm)

Responding to Democrats' plans to essentially cut them out of the House lawmaking process for at least the next month, some Republican members of Congress are pushing for a "Minority Bill of Rights" that would ensure their voices are heard.

The move comes after soon-to-be House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced plans to bypass the usual bill-making process -- committee work-ups of legislation and opportunities for the minority party to offer amendments -- in an effort to fast-track an agenda that will include increased federal funding of embryonic stem-cell research and a hike in the U.S. minimum wage.

The decision flies in the face of promises Pelosi made during the campaign to run the most open House in history.

In response, a trio of GOP legislators has drafted a Minority Bill of Rights modeled after a similar document Pelosi created when she was the House's minority leader after the 2004 elections. The document calls for reinstatement of the traditional policymaking apparatus -- meaning no bills come to the floor for a vote without representatives from both parties having had a chance to shape the legislation.

"We are simply asking that the rhetoric of Minority Leader Pelosi matches the actions of Speaker Pelosi, said Rep. Patrick McHenry, R-N.C., one of the drafters of the Minority Bill of Rights. The others are Reps. Eric Cantor, R-Va., and Tom Price, R-Ga.

Democrats, though, seemed disinclined to consider the GOP's concerns. A Pelosi spokesman said his boss's most important concern is getting some bills passed in the first 100 hours of the new Congress.

"The priority," he said, "is to get things done."

:laugh: :lmao: :lol:

Hugh Lincoln
01-24-2007, 03:20 PM
I love how politicians think they're doing a good job if they're "getting stuff done." As far as I'm concerned, the LESS they do, the better.

Gaffer
01-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Then:

Pelosi Seeks House Minority 'Bill of Rights' (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A680-2004Jun23.html)
Hastert Dismisses Democrats' Complaint, Saying GOP Record Is Better Than Foes'

By Charles Babington
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, June 24, 2004; Page A23

House Democrats' anger at heavy-handed Republican tactics reached a new level yesterday, with the chamber's top Democrat asking the House speaker to embrace a "Bill of Rights" for the minority, regardless which party it is.

In keeping with the general atmosphere of the House these days, aides to Speaker J. Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) said he will not respond to the two-page proposal from Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.).

For decades, the party in power has used House parliamentary rules to limit the minority party's ability to amend bills and shape debates. But Democrats -- in the minority for 10 years after four decades of control -- say Republicans have gone to unreasonable lengths in recent years. GOP leaders dispute this, but congressional scholars and even some rank-and-file Republicans agree in whole or in part.

Pelosi's document, which she vows to honor if Democrats regain the majority, says: "Too often, incivility and the heavy hand of the majority" have silenced Democrats and choked off "thoughtful debate." She called on the majority to let the minority offer meaningful amendments and substitutes to important bills; to limit roll-call votes to the normal 15 minutes rather than keeping them open to round up needed votes; and to let all appointees to House-Senate conference committees participate in meetings and decisions.

"When we are shut out, they are shutting out the great diversity of America," Pelosi said in an interview. "We want a return to civility; we want to set a higher standard."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

and Now

01-03-2007

GOP Wants 'Minority Bill of Rights' in House (http://www.citizenlink.org/CLBriefs/A000003535.cfm)

Responding to Democrats' plans to essentially cut them out of the House lawmaking process for at least the next month, some Republican members of Congress are pushing for a "Minority Bill of Rights" that would ensure their voices are heard.

The move comes after soon-to-be House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced plans to bypass the usual bill-making process -- committee work-ups of legislation and opportunities for the minority party to offer amendments -- in an effort to fast-track an agenda that will include increased federal funding of embryonic stem-cell research and a hike in the U.S. minimum wage.

The decision flies in the face of promises Pelosi made during the campaign to run the most open House in history.

In response, a trio of GOP legislators has drafted a Minority Bill of Rights modeled after a similar document Pelosi created when she was the House's minority leader after the 2004 elections. The document calls for reinstatement of the traditional policymaking apparatus -- meaning no bills come to the floor for a vote without representatives from both parties having had a chance to shape the legislation.

"We are simply asking that the rhetoric of Minority Leader Pelosi matches the actions of Speaker Pelosi, said Rep. Patrick McHenry, R-N.C., one of the drafters of the Minority Bill of Rights. The others are Reps. Eric Cantor, R-Va., and Tom Price, R-Ga.

Democrats, though, seemed disinclined to consider the GOP's concerns. A Pelosi spokesman said his boss's most important concern is getting some bills passed in the first 100 hours of the new Congress.

"The priority," he said, "is to get things done."

:laugh: :lmao: :lol:

Surprise surprise surprise. The dems are now ignoring what they cried about for ten years. Who'da thunk it. Their most important thing is to get their agenda through before it can be derailed by logical thinkers. And to rub salt in the wound the repubs are putting forth the very same bill she offered for ten years. And she has refused it. Wow. What posible reason could she have for not supporting her own rewritten bill. Maybe she wants to charge them with plagerism.

Bubbalicious
01-24-2007, 07:57 PM
Surprise surprise surprise. The dems are now ignoring what they cried about for ten years. Who'da thunk it.

Surprise surprise surpise, the pubs are now crying about what they ignored . . .

jillian
01-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Surprise surprise surprise. The dems are now ignoring what they cried about for ten years. Who'da thunk it. Their most important thing is to get their agenda through before it can be derailed by logical thinkers. And to rub salt in the wound the repubs are putting forth the very same bill she offered for ten years. And she has refused it. Wow. What posible reason could she have for not supporting her own rewritten bill. Maybe she wants to charge them with plagerism.

Why would the whining repubs be surprised that they are getting what they gave for the past 6 years? They forget that pendulums swing. I figure they deserve everything they get and more. I can't wait til they ask for a hearing on some subject and the dems either say no or stick them in a 10 x 12 room in the basement and then shut their mikes while they're asking questions.... just like they did to the dems.

Bubbalicious
01-24-2007, 08:43 PM
Why would the whining repubs be surprised that they are getting what they gave for the past 6 years? They forget that pendulums swing. I figure they deserve everything they get and more. I can't wait til they ask for a hearing on some subject and the dems either say no or stick them in a 10 x 12 room in the basement and then shut their mikes while they're asking questions.... just like they did to the dems.

They do deserve it, but I'm kind of hoping the Dems sign it anyway so that kind of behavior will finally come to an end.

If the Dems do sign it, if and when the Dems lose the majority again, would the Pubs be able to just edit the Bill of Rights and go back to their old ways?

jillian
01-24-2007, 11:10 PM
They do deserve it, but I'm kind of hoping the Dems sign it anyway so that kind of behavior will finally come to an end.

If the Dems do sign it, if and when the Dems lose the majority again, would the Pubs be able to just edit the Bill of Rights and go back to their old ways?

It won't make the behavior come to an end, though, because if and when the pendulum swings again, I figure they'd do just what they did before.

I figure it can be changed back fairly easily, but wouldn't swear to it.

manu1959
01-24-2007, 11:17 PM
i thought dems were uniters not dividers....and wanted to work in a bipartisan way and heal the country...wa happen?

jillian
01-24-2007, 11:21 PM
i thought dems were uniters not dividers....and wanted to work in a bipartisan way and heal the country...wa happen?

Ummmmmmmm... six years of dealing with a bunch of dividers, not uniters. F 'em...

manu1959
01-24-2007, 11:23 PM
Ummmmmmmm... six years of dealing with a bunch of dividers, not uniters. F 'em...

wow....that is a pretty harsh condemnation of the dems behavior during the past 6 years.....but hey you are mod who am i to argue with ya

Bubbalicious
01-24-2007, 11:26 PM

The Dems? Really? Why? Did a Democratic candidate for the Presidency run the term "I'm a uniter, not a divider" into the ground during a campaign?

manu1959
01-24-2007, 11:28 PM
The Dems? Really? Why? Did a Democratic candidate for the Presidency run the term "I'm a uniter, not a divider" into the ground during a campaign?

he was trying to unite.....the dems wouldn't join up....:dunno: ya calling the pres a liar?:no:

Bubbalicious
01-24-2007, 11:31 PM
Oh nice. :lmao: That's what it means to be a uniter?

Agree with me or fuck off. There. I'm a uniter.

jillian
01-24-2007, 11:33 PM
he was trying to unite.....the dems wouldn't join up....:dunno: ya calling the pres a liar?:no:

Aye... the noive of us. :p

manu1959
01-24-2007, 11:43 PM
Aye... the noive of us. :p

i mean look at this.....here the dems go again....not uniting with the president...http://www.comcast.net/news/index.jsp?cat=GENERAL&fn=/2007/01/24/570069.html&cvqh=itn_senate

manu1959
01-24-2007, 11:44 PM

see i knew you could understand the dems philosphy

01-25-2007, 01:16 AM

Nah. i dont think id want to share any of my genetic material with those Democrats in Congress. they've been dividing enough.

01-25-2007, 01:17 AM

He gave the democrats exactly what they wanted on a number of issues. Education for one. and then they turned around and started B****ing

Lesson learned? Democrats arent willing to support anything you do.

Bubbalicious
01-25-2007, 02:19 AM
He gave the democrats exactly what they wanted on a number of issues. Education for one. and then they turned around and started B****ing

Lesson learned? Democrats arent willing to support anything you do.

Education? You mean No Child Left Behind? That's a joke. It's just tests. And it's underfunded at that.
He didn't do exactly what Dems wanted on anything. Nor did anyone even really expect him to. But he wouldn't even discuss compromises with them.

01-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Education? You mean No Child Left Behind? That's a joke. It's just tests. And it's underfunded at that.
He didn't do exactly what Dems wanted on anything. Nor did anyone even really expect him to. But he wouldn't even discuss compromises with them.

Ted Kennedy wrote the bill. The President had very little to say about what went into it. Its amazing how Democrats seem to have such a short term memory about things.

He gave them medicare reform. he gave them that stupid campaign finance reform bill, but then youll probably claim its bipartisan because the Democrats used McCain, to pretend it was.

He has been more than happy to give Illegal Immigrants Amnesty like the Democrats want.

The idea that the President hasnt been trying to work together with Democrats is a myth. In fact, the biggest problem he has been facing is the fact that he has let Democrats walk all over him. That is exactly why Republicans lost Congress. Conservatives were fed up and decided not to go and vote. Whats the point of having both houses of Congress and the Presidency if they dont listen to the people who voted them there?

retiredman
01-25-2007, 10:57 AM

and the republickens are whining in exactly the same way the democrats did when THEY were in the minority. Call the waaaaaaaambulance. What goes around comes around.

Bubbalicious
01-25-2007, 08:44 PM
That is exactly why Republicans lost Congress. Conservatives were fed up and decided not to go and vote. Whats the point of having both houses of Congress and the Presidency if they dont listen to the people who voted them there?

Sounds like Republicans in and out of Congress need to learn that not every little thing is going to go exactly their way and that sometimes you have to compromise. If they'd have understood that, they would have worked better with the Dems in Congress these last 12 years and they wouldn't be getting bitten in the ass now. Sorry. Payback's a bitch.

Gunny
01-25-2007, 09:46 PM
Sounds like Republicans in and out of Congress need to learn that not every little thing is going to go exactly their way and that sometimes you have to compromise. If they'd have understood that, they would have worked better with the Dems in Congress these last 12 years and they wouldn't be getting bitten in the ass now. Sorry. Payback's a bitch.

GMAFB. WHAT payback? Republicans/conservatives abstained from voting to teach Republicans in office a lesson. Sheer genius, but another topic. The Dems didn't do anything special, and nobody gives a damn about the Dem's message.

All I've seen so far is Dem's go right back to where they left off the last time they were in power, and they'll lose it again for the same reason.

As far as compromise goes, that's GMAFB #2. Bush tried to compromise with Dems and everything sounded good until Bush wouldn't give Dem's exactly what they wanted. It's been obstruction ever since.

Y'all can call yourselves the "majority" all you want, and lie to yourselves that you have some mandate from the people, but the reality is, it's back to business as usual.

Oh, and the majority's the Dem's have in the House and Senate? Not enough to force ANYTHING. So, without Republican help, nothing goes anywhere. Let's see how well y'all compromise.

Bubbalicious
01-25-2007, 11:03 PM
. . . without Republican help, nothing goes anywhere. Let's see how well y'all compromise.

Implement the recommendations of the 9/11 Commission. (http://www.speaker.gov/legislation?id=0004) Done

Raise minimum wage (http://www.speaker.gov/legislation?id=0005) Done

Promote stem cell research (http://www.speaker.gov/legislation?id=0006) Done

Require Medicare to negotiate for lower prescription drug prices (http://www.speaker.gov/legislation?id=0007) Done

Cut interest rates on student loans. (http://www.speaker.gov/legislation?id=0008) Done

Repeal subsidies to Big Oil and invest savings in renewable energy. (http://www.speaker.gov/legislation?id=0009) Done

:)

Gunny
01-25-2007, 11:06 PM
Implement the recommendations of the 9/11 Commission. (http://www.speaker.gov/legislation?id=0004) Done

Raise minimum wage (http://www.speaker.gov/legislation?id=0005) Done

Promote stem cell research (http://www.speaker.gov/legislation?id=0006) Done

Require Medicare to negotiate for lower prescription drug prices (http://www.speaker.gov/legislation?id=0007) Done

Cut interest rates on student loans. (http://www.speaker.gov/legislation?id=0008) Done

Repeal subsidies to Big Oil and invest savings in renewable energy. (http://www.speaker.gov/legislation?id=0009) Done

:)

Oh, you mean just because the House proposed them they are "done"? Not much of a standard to meet, is there?

Bubbalicious
01-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Oh, you mean just because the House proposed them they are "done"? Not much of a standard to meet, is there?

http://www.speaker.gov/legislation?id=0003

Tuesday, January 9 - Implement the 9/11 Commission Recommendations

PASSED - January 9, 2007 at 7:17 PM, 299 - 128

Wednesday, January 10 - Increase the Minimum Wage

PASSED - January 10, 2007 at 5:10 PM, 315 - 116

Thursday, January 11 - Expand Stem Cell Research

PASSED - January 11, 2007 at 3:11 PM, 253 - 174

Friday, January 12 - Allow Negotiation for Lower Prescription Drug Costs

PASSED - January 12, 2007 at 2:22 PM, 255 - 170

Wednesday, January 17 - Cut Interest Rates on Student Loans

PASSED - January 17, 2007 at 5:35 PM, 356 - 71

Thursday, January 18 - End Subsidies for Big Oil and Invest in Renewable Energy

PASSED - January 18, 2007 at 6:09 PM, 264 - 163

Gunny
01-25-2007, 11:13 PM
http://www.speaker.gov/legislation?id=0003

Tuesday, January 9 - Implement the 9/11 Commission Recommendations

PASSED - January 9, 2007 at 7:17 PM, 299 - 128

Wednesday, January 10 - Increase the Minimum Wage

PASSED - January 10, 2007 at 5:10 PM, 315 - 116

Thursday, January 11 - Expand Stem Cell Research

PASSED - January 11, 2007 at 3:11 PM, 253 - 174

Friday, January 12 - Allow Negotiation for Lower Prescription Drug Costs

PASSED - January 12, 2007 at 2:22 PM, 255 - 170

Wednesday, January 17 - Cut Interest Rates on Student Loans

PASSED - January 17, 2007 at 5:35 PM, 356 - 71

Thursday, January 18 - End Subsidies for Big Oil and Invest in Renewable Energy

PASSED - January 18, 2007 at 6:09 PM, 264 - 163

And again, "passed" the House. And I'd hardly be bragging about the ones that passed.

Bubbalicious
01-25-2007, 11:19 PM
And again, "passed" the House.

Senate shouldn't be a problem.

I'd hardly be bragging about the ones that passed.

I would :) I like them.

Gaffer
01-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Minimum wage didn't pass the senate. So put that one in failed catagory. Not sure about the others yet.

Gunny
01-25-2007, 11:23 PM
Senate shouldn't be a problem.

I would :) I like them.

I can't imagine why.:rolleyes:

Gunny
01-25-2007, 11:25 PM
Minimum wage didn't pass the senate. So put that one in failed catagory. Not sure about the others yet.

I hope it doesn't pass, period. Once all the business owners increase prices to make sure they get most if not all of that increase, it'll just amount to a pay cut for those of us making more than minimum wage.

Gaffer
01-25-2007, 11:39 PM
I hope it doesn't pass, period. Once all the business owners increase prices to make sure they get most if not all of that increase, it'll just amount to a pay cut for those of us making more than minimum wage.

And will hurt those making minimum wage even more. Inflation would take all the benifits of it away in a very short time.