PDA

View Full Version : Which do you prefer?

Abbey Marie
05-15-2013, 10:35 AM
Just info for future travel (and maybe more) plans, do you prefer Charleston (SC) or Savannah? Why? :cool:

fj1200
05-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Just info for future travel (and maybe more) plans, do you prefer Charleston (SC) or Savannah? Why? :cool:

I have only been to Charleston once so I can't do a full comparison but I love Savannah. It's a very walkable city, the squares and Forsyth Park are easy to get to and there is quite a bit of history if you appreciate all of that. Not to say, of course, that Charleston doesn't have their share of history and walkability; I just would probably given the nod to Savannah. FWIW, Charleston is on the harbor and Savannah is on the River. I haven't been to any beaches around Charleston but I have been to Tybee near Savannah but I'm guessing they're all just variations on a theme.

Is there anything in particular you're thinking about?

Abbey Marie
05-15-2013, 11:52 AM
I have only been to Charleston once so I can't do a full comparison but I love Savannah. It's a very walkable city, the squares and Forsyth Park are easy to get to and there is quite a bit of history if you appreciate all of that. Not to say, of course, that Charleston doesn't have their share of history and walkability; I just would probably given the nod to Savannah. FWIW, Charleston is on the harbor and Savannah is on the River. I haven't been to any beaches around Charleston but I have been to Tybee near Savannah but I'm guessing they're all just variations on a theme.

Is there anything in particular you're thinking about?

We love history, and I also like what looks like the Southern charm of these two cities. I feel the desire to see more of this country. My experience of the south so far consists of two road trips to Florida, with all the glories I-95 has to offer ;) , a (plane) trip to Ft. Lauderdale, and Key West, and a trip to Fort Jackson many years ago.

I like that they are both on the water- that really attracts me.

(I was also considering New Orleans, but my husband has been there on business, and didn't really like it).

hjmick
05-15-2013, 12:10 PM
Come to Charleston, first round is on me.

Well, not on me, but I'm buying...

fj1200
05-15-2013, 12:34 PM
We love history, and I also like what looks like the Southern charm of these two cities.

If you're driving you could easily see them both and easily take side trips to all the other historical stuff down there too. I'm sure you could do about everything you'd want in two days in either place and then hit the other. I don't think you could go wrong in either and they both have a Garibaldi's (http://www.garibaldisavannah.com/) so that's good. :)

Abbey Marie
05-15-2013, 02:20 PM
If you're driving you could easily see them both and easily take side trips to all the other historical stuff down there too. I'm sure you could do about everything you'd want in two days in either place and then hit the other. I don't think you could go wrong in either and they both have a Garibaldi's (http://www.garibaldisavannah.com/) so that's good. :)

Fried Green Tomato Parmesan? I might just die and go to Heaven. :cool:

I guess seeing both is an option I hadn't considered. :beer:

Abbey Marie
05-15-2013, 02:21 PM
Come to Charleston, first round is on me.

Well, not on me, but I'm buying...

Nice offer- thanks!

Do you live in the city?

Kathianne
05-15-2013, 03:40 PM
We love history, and I also like what looks like the Southern charm of these two cities. I feel the desire to see more of this country. My experience of the south so far consists of two road trips to Florida, with all the glories I-95 has to offer ;) , a (plane) trip to Ft. Lauderdale, and Key West, and a trip to Fort Jackson many years ago.

I like that they are both on the water- that really attracts me.

(I was also considering New Orleans, but my husband has been there on business, and didn't really like it).

I really enjoyed a day trip to St. Augustine. Lots of history and some very nice shops.

fj1200
05-15-2013, 06:02 PM
I really enjoyed a day trip to St. Augustine. Lots of history and some very nice shops.

I thought about that too. I'd put it at number 3 on the list but it does have a great fort right next to the downtown area.

hjmick
05-15-2013, 06:05 PM
Nice offer- thanks!

Do you live in the city?

Just outside of Charleston, about 15-25 minutes from downtown. Depending on traffic. Moved down here last September. So far we are loving it, though work has prevented me from seeing much of what I really want to see. But there's time...

Jeff
05-16-2013, 04:27 AM
Abbey I have been to both many times but never to the nice areas, my Dad loved but recommended Savannah I was asked him the same question ( I am wanting to take a bike ride there and spend a few days ) and he said go to Savannah park the bike and go on the tour bus, he said it was beautiful , but Charleston is also beautiful so its a toss up

If you decide to go to Savannah let me know my wifes Boss is a big wig there and owns many rental properties , just last night I spoke with him and he told me of his favorite , he said it is $500 a night but he will get Laura and I there for free , now I am not saying Ioth but can get that deal for you but I am sure I can get great info and good rates for ya