PDA

View Full Version : Video attacks Abercrombie & Fitch

Abbey Marie
05-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Wow, this seems harsh to me. And why can't a company go after whatever type of cutomer they want?

Fashion retailer Abercrombie & Fitch is getting a new image, whether they like it or not. Los Angeles-based filmmaker Greg Karber has launched a viral video campaign in an attempt to crack open the company's exclusivity mission.
The film follows a Change.org petition calling for a boycott of the clothing company over the the lack of plus size offerings. It also comes on the heels of a recently resurfaced quote from CEO Mike Jeffries. "Candidly, we go after the cool kids," Jeffries said in an interview with Salon in 2006. "A lot of people don’t belong [in our clothes], and they can’t belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely.”

That message didn't sit well with Karber, who took a camera to the streets of Los Angeles in an attempt to “change their brand." He films himself scouring the racks of a local GoodWill for armfuls of used A&F clothing, which he then distributes throughout Los Angeles’ Skid Row, a section of the city that houses one of the largest homeless populations in America.

Abercrombie & Fitch CEO Mike Jeffries (Photo by Getty Images)Karber then urges viewers to look through their closets and donate them to homeless shelters. His goal: “To make Abercrombie & Fitch the world’s number one brand of homeless apparel.”

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/new-viral-video-campaign-donates-abercrombie---fitch-clothing-to-homeless-people-151044154.html

aboutime
05-15-2013, 02:37 PM
Wow, this seems harsh to me. And why can't a company go after whatever type of cutomer they want?

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/new-viral-video-campaign-donates-abercrombie---fitch-clothing-to-homeless-people-151044154.html

Abbey. Just another case of "1984" being stretched by the purveyors of Big Government...telling private businesses what, and who they should sell their wares to...OR ELSE.

I believe the attempts to intimidate will fail since...No-one is forced to enter the store, or to buy anything if they go there.

More Political Correctness by the few who demand that the many obey their MOB RULE stupidity.

Noir
05-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Its almost as bad as all those people boycotting/protesting Target for featuring an advert with (shock-horror) a gay couple xD

As for the actual 'stunt' i think its fantastic, giving the clothes to the homeless is a double good idea.

jimnyc
05-18-2013, 05:43 AM
Just watched a video where Ellen Degeneres blasts Abercrombie now too. So now businesses will also be told WHAT they must and must not sell? They may not have a maternity line either, should they be forced to off that line or be boycotted? Sad.

Noir
05-18-2013, 07:11 AM
Just watched a video where Ellen Degeneres blasts Abercrombie now too. So now businesses will also be told WHAT they must and must not sell? They may not have a maternity line either, should they be forced to off that line or be boycotted? Sad.

The business is free to sell and market itself whatever way it wants, and people are free to 'blast' them for their choices, and chose to buy or not by from them. Simples.

jimnyc
05-18-2013, 07:20 AM
The business is free to sell and market itself whatever way it wants, and people are free to 'blast' them for their choices, and chose to buy or not by from them. Simples.

I agree with that, but why not just choose to shop elsewhere? Why must businesses suffer or be punished because they don't sell what some people want? These people are not just choosing to not buy from them, but are also looking to hurt their bottom dollar as well. I think they should just go to the fat people shop and call it a day. I'm willing to bet that if you went to a "big and tall" store that you would have trouble finding clothing for petite people. Should they be boycotted as well?

taft2012
05-18-2013, 07:21 AM

There's an A&F at a mall near me.

It has a weird setup. You can't stand outside and see into the store. It has like a darkened hallway to go inside.

Standing in the hallway facing out to the mall they had a young, buff, male model. Maybe he was 18 or 19 years old. Standing there in jeans with no shirt on.

Wafting out from inside the store was a strong sickly scent that they must blast all over the place if it permeates out into the mall.

It didn't appear to be the type of establishment looking for my business. I'm surprised Ellen has a problem with them.

jimnyc
05-18-2013, 07:25 AM
There's an A&F at a mall near me.

It has a weird setup. You can't stand outside and see into the store. It has like a darkened hallway to go inside.

Standing in the hallway facing out to the mall they had a young, buff, male model. Maybe he was 18 or 19 years old. Standing there in jeans with no shirt on.

Wafting out from inside the store was a strong sickly scent that they must blast all over the place if it permeates out into the mall.

It didn't appear to be the type of establishment looking for my business. I'm surprised Ellen has a problem with them.

I'd never shop there either. They've always seemed a bit uppity to me, or catering to the snobby type. Certainly not my cup of tea. They don't sell the style of clothing I wear, but I won't be trash talking them and boycotting them as a result. I simply cater to businesses that do have clothing I like.

Noir
05-18-2013, 07:25 AM
I agree with that, but why not just choose to shop elsewhere? Why must businesses suffer or be punished because they don't sell what some people want? These people are not just choosing to not buy from them, but are also looking to hurt their bottom dollar as well. I think they should just go to the fat people shop and call it a day. I'm willing to bet that if you went to a "big and tall" store that you would have trouble finding clothing for petite people. Should they be boycotted as well?

Erm, a boycott is choosing to shop elsewhere, that is what hurts the 'bottom dollar', and heck, i boycott 'big and tall' shops all the time ^,^

jimnyc
05-18-2013, 07:26 AM
Erm, a boycott is choosing to shop elsewhere, that is what hurts the 'bottom dollar', and heck, i boycott 'big and tall' shops all the time ^,^

Semantics, you fucker!

Boycott individually and shop elsewhere, I agree with that and take no issue. Boycotting as a group, being vocal, and trying to keep others from shopping there as well, that I take issue with.

Noir
05-18-2013, 07:33 AM
Semantics, you fucker!

Boycott individually and shop elsewhere, I agree with that and take no issue. Boycotting as a group, being vocal, and trying to keep others from shopping there as well, that I take issue with.

They are't trying to keep others from shopping there, no one who wants to shop in A&F are being stopped, what is happening is a lot of people who would likely of been 'casual' A&F shoppers are being asked to consider if this is the kinda company they want to support. No one is being forced to do anything, but if a lot of people make the individual choice, A&F may feel a prick in their profits.

Though i'm sure it will only be a prick, A&F are a global brand with huge profit margins, and as previously stated, its only the casual shoppers that will consider taking their business elsewhere,

Voted4Reagan
05-18-2013, 07:34 AM

See...Even I can agree with NOIR. Love them or hate them, buy them or dont buy them. The choice is up to the consumer.

If the CEO takes such a position he has to deal with the fallout.

I think the whole spoof Idea is Hilarious.... It makes for a great non-rhetorical protest.

A&F has had legal issues for years regarding their models being underage and the content of their ads. If they cant take a little heat, they are in the wrong business.

jimnyc
05-18-2013, 07:39 AM
They are't trying to keep others from shopping there, no one who wants to shop in A&F are being stopped, what is happening is a lot of people who would likely of been 'casual' A&F shoppers are being asked to consider if this is the kinda company they want to support. No one is being forced to do anything, but if a lot of people make the individual choice, A&F may feel a prick in their profits.

Though i'm sure it will only be a prick, A&F are a global brand with huge profit margins, and as previously stated, its only the casual shoppers that will consider taking their business elsewhere,

Well, of course they aren't forcefully stopping people, that would be illegal. But obviously their objective is to try and prevent people from shopping there, which is more or less the intent of any retail boycott. They are trying to hurt them financially, because they disagree with the store itself. So in other words, they want to shop elsewhere AND try and hurt A&F financially. Why not just go elsewhere and leave it at that?

jimnyc
05-18-2013, 07:44 AM
See...Even I can agree with NOIR. Love them or hate them, buy them or dont buy them. The choice is up to the consumer.

If the CEO takes such a position he has to deal with the fallout.

I think the whole spoof Idea is Hilarious.... It makes for a great non-rhetorical protest.

A&F has had legal issues for years regarding their models being underage and the content of their ads. If they cant take a little heat, they are in the wrong business.

I agree with the choices being up to the consumer. I'm just tired of all the PC crap and people suing and boycotting. And others want to FORCE people to sell and do business in a way that they agree with. I understand that there can be some fallout based on the decisions a company makes. This is the same with every company. But one has to admit, taking your business elsewhere is the logical choice, trying to bring harm to a company you disagree with is retaliatory to an extent.

Voted4Reagan
05-18-2013, 07:49 AM
I agree with the choices being up to the consumer. I'm just tired of all the PC crap and people suing and boycotting. And others want to FORCE people to sell and do business in a way that they agree with. I understand that there can be some fallout based on the decisions a company makes. This is the same with every company. But one has to admit, taking your business elsewhere is the logical choice, trying to bring harm to a company you disagree with is retaliatory to an extent.

also agreed... the consumer may dictate the demands of a Market, but it it's up to individual companies to either fill or not fill those niches based on an analysis of the profitability of those demands. A company is under no obligation to make an item in a particular size/color/Style. Only they are able to say what direction they want the company to go based on their responsibility to their shareholders.

Both Jim and Noir are right..

DragonStryk72
05-18-2013, 11:25 AM

Truthfully, I have no sympathy for them. Their hiring and managerial practices are abominable, and this guy isn't suing or anything, he's trying to make people as aware as possible. A company is free to go after whatever clientele they wish, this much is true, but the people are also free to bash the living shit out of it as elitist and wrong.

DragonStryk72
05-18-2013, 11:33 AM

Well, if it was just a lack of options in the store, then no, people wouldn't be that upset, they'd just go hit Torrid (Which from what I've seen, has better clothes anyway.). However, Abercrombie & Fitch has a number of other sins, like registering their sales associates as "models", so that they can't be hit by the EOE laws they would have otherwise been sued by, banishing "undesirables" to the stock, or outright getting rid of them regardless of their work and sales record.

Yeah, that's right, you've been in early every day, never called out, worked doubles, came in on your off days, beat every salesperson on the floor... but you're a "model", so we're canning you cause you don't fit the mold anymore.

Sorry, but they're rat bastards, and they deserve to be slammed.

jimnyc
05-18-2013, 11:38 AM
Well, if it was just a lack of options in the store, then no, people wouldn't be that upset, they'd just go hit Torrid (Which from what I've seen, has better clothes anyway.). However, Abercrombie & Fitch has a number of other sins, like registering their sales associates as "models", so that they can't be hit by the EOE laws they would have otherwise been sued by, banishing "undesirables" to the stock, or outright getting rid of them regardless of their work and sales record.

Yeah, that's right, you've been in early every day, never called out, worked doubles, came in on your off days, beat every salesperson on the floor... but you're a "model", so we're canning you cause you don't fit the mold anymore.

Sorry, but they're rat bastards, and they deserve to be slammed.

If all those things are true (and I'm not doubting you), then they SHOULD be slammed for those things. But I still disagree with boycotting or making an issue out of what they choose to sell on their floors, or that they wouldn't target a certain group.

Kathianne
05-18-2013, 11:57 AM
If all those things are true (and I'm not doubting you), then they SHOULD be slammed for those things. But I still disagree with boycotting or making an issue out of what they choose to sell on their floors, or that they wouldn't target a certain group.

That's what has been historically great about living in America, one can boycott or write hit pieces or exercise their rights in free speech and assembly about whomever or whatever strikes their interest.

Others have the right to do the same against their point of view.

It's messy, but fun and informative.

DragonStryk72
05-18-2013, 11:58 AM

Yeah, but a boycott only gets to this point really when the company has refused to listen to its customers when they were simply requesting. As well, had they built up goodwill in other respects, there would again be more reticence to call for a boycott. That's it gotten this far states that A&F has been ignoring people for a while, like most companies do.

A boycott is just an organized version of "we're not going to shop here anymore", built to show the company what they're losing in hopes that they will make their products and services less dickish.

Look at McDonald's. It's still clearly McDs, but Supersize Me brought about significant change in the company, and what they offered at their locations. Apple Dippers to be offered as opposed to fries with happy meals, real meat without the added sugars and such, switching over to real potato french fries, improving the health content of their salads, and even switching over to Newman's Own organic coffee.

The reason is pretty simply: The higher ups do not usually see the feedback from the ground, and even when they do, it's some random email or whatnot. So basically, until something like this happens, companies generally aren't really even aware that there's a significant problem. Yeah, it's not that they're elitist bastards, it's just that they're aren't in touch with their customer base like they were when they were a small enterprise.

If this were a single mom & pop store, I'd say you're kind of nuking an anthill, but with a global company like A&F, this is usually one of the only real ways to go about it.

aboutime
05-18-2013, 03:28 PM
The One, and Only thing that matters to any Business, Corporation, or Company is THEIR BOTTOM LINE.

Whether people choose to Visit or Not, buy or not buy determines their bottom line.

If anyone disagree's with how A & F operate, exist, sell, or profit.

They..(anyone) has the option to NOT visit A & F, and go somewhere else.

Like other stores across the nation. A & F do not have anyone standing outside their stores,
kidnapping customers, or dragging anyone into the building.

You disagree, or don't like someplace. DON'T GO THERE!

It's called Common Sense, and making Intelligent, Human Decisions.

Abbey Marie
05-18-2013, 05:47 PM
I'd never shop there either. They've always seemed a bit uppity to me, or catering to the snobby type. Certainly not my cup of tea. They don't sell the style of clothing I wear, but I won't be trash talking them and boycotting them as a result. I simply cater to businesses that do have clothing I like.

You've described someone who isn't generally envious of those more fortunate, and exhibits maturity.

BillyBob
05-18-2013, 06:08 PM
A&F should counter by selling diet products to those who can't fit into their regular inventory. Their slogan could be: 'Maybe Someday, Tubby'.

WiccanLiberal
05-18-2013, 07:13 PM
They are a snobby and elitist company. But that is their choice. I am plus size and frugal and can shop plenty pf other places. I have no emotional need to measure up (or down) to their definition of cool. They market to a certain shallow minded demographic. That is a choice and my choice is to shop elsewhere. I think all the negative publicity is just so much more free advertising for them.

BillyBob
05-18-2013, 07:21 PM
They market to a certain shallow minded demographic.

Staying fit makes a person 'shallow-minded'?

DragonStryk72
05-18-2013, 08:13 PM
The One, and Only thing that matters to any Business, Corporation, or Company is THEIR BOTTOM LINE.

Whether people choose to Visit or Not, buy or not buy determines their bottom line.

If anyone disagree's with how A & F operate, exist, sell, or profit.

They..(anyone) has the option to NOT visit A & F, and go somewhere else.

Like other stores across the nation. A & F do not have anyone standing outside their stores,
kidnapping customers, or dragging anyone into the building.

You disagree, or don't like someplace. DON'T GO THERE!

It's called Common Sense, and making Intelligent, Human Decisions.

um, yes, but when did we surrender the option to convince others not to shop there in order to bring about positive change. This isn't government stepping in, its ordinary people who want to pay A&f their money for their product. I dont get the anger at the people doing this, I really don't.

Why is trying to bring about positive change not a common sense thing? Why is it not a human thing to do?

DragonStryk72
05-18-2013, 08:16 PM
Staying fit makes a person 'shallow-minded'?

oh its not just fit. you know the one woman, the runner who lost both her legs? she couldn't be up front in any a&f, doesnt matter that she's hot, she's got prosthetic legs, no matter how good they are.

BillyBob
05-18-2013, 08:24 PM
oh its not just fit. you know the one woman, the runner who lost both her legs? she couldn't be up front in any a&f, doesnt matter that she's hot, she's got prosthetic legs, no matter how good they are.

Prosthetic legs are HOT!

DragonStryk72
05-18-2013, 08:32 PM
Prosthetic legs are HOT!

Lol, actually she has several sets that legitimately ARE. She did a talk about them on TED talks, and for the first little while, she just looks like a leggy blond giving a talk, until you realize she's talking about HER prosthetics. but yeah, a&f doesn't want her business.