PDA

View Full Version : Test Drive: 2007 Cayman S

darin
06-03-2007, 11:06 AM
The Cayman S isn't brand-new to the world. Today, however, I got the chance to spend about 30 minutes behind the wheel with a lovely young lady as my co-pilot.

I approached the dealership inquiring about 996 911's - they had none, but as we were walking back to the car I asked the saleswoman if she'd let me drive a Cayman S instead.

"Absolutely" she said enthusiastically.

After taking my license, she returned with the key for a well-appointed (~$72K) Cayman S in front of the building

As we pull out of the dealership she says "take this right - there are a few very nice turns down that way - but I saw a cop here earlier, so be careful!"

The first major turn was a round-about.

"Take this around about - all the way around, then exit just to the right"

I enter about 30mph and steadily apply throttle as we finish our loop. First thing I noticed was the car felt much heavier than my RX8. Down the way, and out behind warehouses

"Do a panic stop if you want"

Burrrrrpppp - the tires skidded a bit as the ABS provided a nice stop. My first thought: "My Rx8 stops better..."

Down the way to a hard right - over bumpy/lumpy asphalt.

UNDERSTEER! May have been the surface of the road hurting front end traction, but a little throttle and I managed my way thru the turn.

One thing about the engine right now - Similar power characteristics (Feeling) as my RX8. Whereas my RX8 needs to be above 5,000-5500 rpms for any feeling of urgency, the Cayman S needed to have the tach swing past 4000 before the car seemed to get serious about going fast.

Down the road she said "There's a sweet on-ramp up ahead, then follow the freeway down to a clover-leaf!"

I <3 this girl.

As I entered the on-ramp in 2nd gear, I road the gear to near redline.

Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammppf! or whatever. Hard to explain the sound other than "WOW - I MUST have more of this!"

Freeways brought a lot of tire-noise, but an otherwise well-composed car. I felt a little claustrophobic in the car - a bit like I was sitting in a tub. The rear fenders' arches in the side-view mirrors was sexy to me.

Down a few miles then crossing over the freeway lead me to a back-the-way-we-came HARD right hand on-ramp. I set up in 2nd gear and held the throttle as I turned-in to the corner.

Understeer at the limit - I had to (but was able to) muscle the car through the corner - just as I hit apex I rolled onto the throttle and the car sorta squatted and shot forward with a LOT of urgency and an AMAZING sound.

Yeah - I could get used to this car. Pretty easily.

Overall I really enjoyed the car -

It's a Porsche. Sitting at traffic lights, getting looks and gawks. Made me feel as though, at least for a little bit, I'd caught-up with the Benjamins.
Exhaust note. Stunning. Breathtaking. Sexy.
Interior fit and finish. Everything seemed well-positioned and well-thought-out - if a bit confusing. (Scores of buttons - everywhere.
Civility. Rode reasonably well. 28mpg hwy.

Dislikes:

Cost. It's a fun car - a very capably fun car. But it's not $35,000 MORE fun than the MSRP of a loaded/optioned RX8. It's DEFINITELY not $50K + more-fun than my probably $17-18k used RX8 would be worth.
Feeling of heaviness. The car just FELT heavier and slower-to-respond than I thought it should have. I wouldn't call the car 'nimble' - I'd call it 'sorted, planted, and capable.'

Verdict: If I had $72,000 laying around to purchase a car, I'd first look at other options. I think, minus the status, the same amount of 'fun' and 'capability' could be had for less money.

That's my $.02

shattered
06-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Well, at least it's a pretty car.. Most Porsche's are ugly.

Sitarro
06-03-2007, 11:38 AM
72,000 dollars for a car that will only get you tickets..... I would suggest you get into flying. You can build your own haul ass plane for less that can be kept on a trailer with the wings folded back. Good looking car???? Please, if it had Volkswagon written on it instead of Porsche, no one would even look at it. Porsche hasn't made a goodlooking car that cost less than 500 grand since 1997, the last year they made a car that actually looked like a 911. I would rather a Honda S2000 than one of those money pits from Porsche or BMW. Then again I would much rather have a truck and an amphibian airplane, I guarantee you I will have a lot more fun than playing Johnny racer on the street.

-Cp
06-03-2007, 11:52 AM
72,000 dollars for a car that will only get you tickets..... I would suggest you get into flying. You can build your own haul ass plane for less that can be kept on a trailer with the wings folded back. Good looking car???? Please, if it had Volkswagon written on it instead of Porsche, no one would even look at it. Porsche hasn't made a goodlooking car that cost less than 500 grand since 1997, the last year they made a car that actually looked like a 911. I would rather a Honda S2000 than one of those money pits from Porsche or BMW. Then again I would much rather have a truck and an amphibian airplane, I guarantee you I will have a lot more fun than playing Johnny racer on the street.

Yeah... from the Porsche owners I know - the freakin' parts for them have outrageous prices on them...

shattered
06-03-2007, 12:00 PM

Gee.. Just a wee bit of envy there? Don't drive it like a moron, and you won't get tickets, either..

Oh, wait.. It's the nazi cops fault if you get pulled over.

Just.. Duh.

-Cp
06-03-2007, 12:01 PM

Uhh.. you can get a ticket in most any car - if you like driving fast it really doesn't much matter how much you spend on a car as most are quite capable of breaking the regional and state posted speed limits..

Sitarro
06-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Gee.. Just a wee bit of envy there? Don't drive it like a moron, and you won't get tickets, either..

Oh, wait.. It's the nazi cops fault if you get pulled over.

Just.. Duh.

Envy? I have owned a 1989 911 Carrera which at the time was a hot car, I grew out of enclosed detuned race cars....... they are useless and expensive on the street. If I would buy a sports car today, I would rather a fun convertible that is quick enough but also reliable......a Honda.

By the way shattered, I never called the police Nazis, I said they made me feel like I hadgone back in time to Nazi Germany..... big difference that I would think someone that pretends to be such a deep thinker would get.

Driving like a moron? Do you mean driving while talking on the phone, spanking kids in the back seat, applying makeup, eating, reading....etc. ?

shattered
06-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Envy? I have owned a 1989 911 Carrera which at the time was a hot car, I grew out of enclosed detuned race cars....... they are useless and expensive on the street. If I would buy a sports car today, I would rather a fun convertible that is quick enough but also reliable......a Honda.

By the way shattered, I never called the police Nazis, I said they made me feel like I hadgone back in time to Nazi Germany..... big difference that I would think someone that pretends to be such a deep thinker would get.

Driving like a moron? Do you mean driving while talking on the phone, spanking kids in the back seat, applying makeup, eating, reading....etc. ?

As I previously stated.. I've been pulled over twice for speeding.. My fault, paid both tickets without whining..

You'll have to try much harder than that.

Sitarro
06-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Describing the members of your family again? Why take their faults out on the rest of us?

As I previously stated.. I've been pulled over twice for speeding.. My fault, paid both tickets without whining..

You'll have to try much harder than that.

I have never known a woman ever getting an actual ticket, only friendly warnings. You say you have received two?:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

darin
06-03-2007, 01:58 PM
PLEASE don't F-up my thread with your fight.

Sitarro
06-03-2007, 02:07 PM

Sorry......The Cayman is a fabulous car well worth 72,000 dollars and as far as it's looks....WOW, if it isn't the best looking car on the road I don't know what beats it, especially that very unique roof line....who would have ever thought of such design excellence. I sure wish that I could possibly work another two jobs so that I could afford one and do 65 miles an hour with it and be in a constant state of frustration. Maybe if I sell my house and live in a used trailer......it would surely be worth it to impress teenage girls that know nothing about design or cars but can read the name Porsche......how's that?:laugh2:

shattered
06-03-2007, 02:09 PM

Sorry, D.

darin
06-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Sorry......The Cayman is a fabulous car well worth 72,000 dollars and as far as it's looks....WOW, if it isn't the best looking car on the road I don't know what beats it, especially that very unique roof line....who would have ever thought of such design excellence. I sure wish that I could possibly work another two jobs so that I could afford one and do 65 miles an hour with it and be in a constant state of frustration. Maybe if I sell my house and live in a used trailer......it would surely be worth it to impress teenage girls that know nothing about design or cars but can read the name Porsche......how's that?:laugh2:

The problem is - after driving an RX8, it takes a LOT to impress a driver. :)

Sitarro
06-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Hey, I finally found one that I like the looks of......kind of.

theHawk
06-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Hey, I finally found one that I like the looks of......kind of.

Thats what mine looks like, only I got gunmetal RAYS rims.

darin
06-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Thats what mine looks like, only I got gunmetal RAYS rims.

Where'd you get your MS kit? Post up pics!

theHawk
06-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Where'd you get your MS kit? Post up pics!

Got it a few years ago from Rosenthal website.

darin
06-06-2007, 12:25 PM

Imagine your car with a CF hood, CF trunk lip spoiler, and black Volks like XXDEEDUBXX's rims...that's the vision I have for my car...if I keep it.

:D

Sitarro
06-06-2007, 03:33 PM

Huge difference in that front end look, better flow. I like the rims and the color..... good one.

theHawk
06-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Imagine your car with a CF hood, CF trunk lip spoiler, and black Volks like XXDEEDUBXX's rims...that's the vision I have for my car...if I keep it.

:D

That'd be way too much CF for me. I barely like my CF fender vents as is. Its cool to see cars like that sometimes at car shows and whatnot, but I couldn't drive around in something that flashy every time I want to go out for a spin. But to each his own.

darin
06-06-2007, 04:29 PM
That'd be way too much CF for me. I barely like my CF fender vents as is. Its cool to see cars like that sometimes at car shows and whatnot, but I couldn't drive around in something that flashy every time I want to go out for a spin. But to each his own.

CF isn't flashy! :)

You know I don't mean the 'whole trunk', right...just a thin lip-spoiler on the back.

Sitarro
06-06-2007, 08:50 PM
CF isn't flashy! :)

You know I don't mean the 'whole trunk', right...just a thin lip-spoiler on the back.

pictures?