PDA

View Full Version : Egyptians targeted with blasphemy charges

jimnyc
05-18-2013, 05:32 AM
In addition to apostasy, blasphemy charges is also something that I have been told by quite a few Muslims is not what we read. I've been told it is rarely used, and certainly not death ever issued. I can provide instances of death sentences for insulting Muhammed and other religious leaders and such, but this story is about Egypt, how it was, and which direction it seems to be going.

Egyptians targeted with blasphemy chargesCAIRO (AP) — The pale, young Christian woman sat handcuffed in the courtroom, accused of insulting Islam while teaching history of religions to fourth-graders. A team of Islamist lawyers with long beards sang in unison, "All except the Prophet Muhammad."

The case against Dimyana Abdel-Nour in southern Egypt's ancient city of Luxor began when parents of three of her pupils claimed that their children, aged 10, complained their teacher showed disgust when she spoke of Islam in class. According to the parents, Abdel-Nour, 24, told the children that Pope Shenouda, who led the Egyptian Coptic Church until his death last year, was better than the Prophet Muhammad.

Blasphemy charges were not uncommon in Egypt under the now-ousted autocrat Hosni Mubarak's regime, but there has been a surge in such cases in recent months, according to rights activists. The trend is widely seen as a reflection of the growing power and confidence of Islamists, particularly the ultraconservative Salafis.

"Salafis are the engineers of these stories," said Abdel-Hamid Hassan, a Muslim and the head of the parents' council at the primary school where Abdel-Nour teaches. Hassan's daughter was among several students who denied any wrongdoing by Abdel-Nour.

"If the pope himself came here from the Vatican and tried to spread Christianity among us, he would fail. We learn about our religion starting from the age of 5," he said, alluding to the allegation against Abdel-Nour, since withdrawn, of "spreading Christianity."

Criminalizing blasphemy was enshrined in the country's Islamist-backed constitution that was adopted in December.

Writers, activists and even a famous television comedian have been accused of blasphemy since then. But Christians seem to be the favorite target of Islamist prosecutors. Their fragile cases — the main basis of the case against Abdel-Nour's case the testimony of children — are greeted with sympathy from courtroom judges with their own religious bias or who fear the wrath of Islamists, according to activists.

The result is a growing number of Egyptians, including many Christians, who have been convicted and sent to prison for blasphemy.

http://news.yahoo.com/egyptians-targeted-blasphemy-charges-063917101.html

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-18-2013, 01:11 PM
In addition to apostasy, blasphemy charges is also something that I have been told by quite a few Muslims is not what we read. I've been told it is rarely used, and certainly not death ever issued. I can provide instances of death sentences for insulting Muhammed and other religious leaders and such, but this story is about Egypt, how it was, and which direction it seems to be going.

Egyptians targeted with blasphemy charges

CAIRO (AP) — The pale, young Christian woman sat handcuffed in the courtroom, accused of insulting Islam while teaching history of religions to fourth-graders. A team of Islamist lawyers with long beards sang in unison, "All except the Prophet Muhammad."

The case against Dimyana Abdel-Nour in southern Egypt's ancient city of Luxor began when parents of three of her pupils claimed that their children, aged 10, complained their teacher showed disgust when she spoke of Islam in class. According to the parents, Abdel-Nour, 24, told the children that Pope Shenouda, who led the Egyptian Coptic Church until his death last year, was better than the Prophet Muhammad.

Blasphemy charges were not uncommon in Egypt under the now-ousted autocrat Hosni Mubarak's regime, but there has been a surge in such cases in recent months, according to rights activists. The trend is widely seen as a reflection of the growing power and confidence of Islamists, particularly the ultraconservative Salafis.

"Salafis are the engineers of these stories," said Abdel-Hamid Hassan, a Muslim and the head of the parents' council at the primary school where Abdel-Nour teaches. Hassan's daughter was among several students who denied any wrongdoing by Abdel-Nour.

"If the pope himself came here from the Vatican and tried to spread Christianity among us, he would fail. We learn about our religion starting from the age of 5," he said, alluding to the allegation against Abdel-Nour, since withdrawn, of "spreading Christianity."

Criminalizing blasphemy was enshrined in the country's Islamist-backed constitution that was adopted in December.

Writers, activists and even a famous television comedian have been accused of blasphemy since then. But Christians seem to be the favorite target of Islamist prosecutors. Their fragile cases — the main basis of the case against Abdel-Nour's case the testimony of children — are greeted with sympathy from courtroom judges with their own religious bias or who fear the wrath of Islamists, according to activists.

The result is a growing number of Egyptians, including many Christians, who have been convicted and sent to prison for blasphemy.

http://news.yahoo.com/egyptians-targeted-blasphemy-charges-063917101.html

ahh, the much heralded promises of the Arab spring continue to spring forth. Strange that those always seem to be in line with the Old Sharia law. The Sharia law that condemns our liberties, our way of life and our very existence. And Obama was ALL FOR THIS ARAB SPRING BULLSHAT TOO. Hmmmmmmmmmm, anybody get any new thoughts about exactly what and who obama works for!???????? I wonder... because I'll bet my life against a damn 20 spot that it damn sure isn't us, our nation or anything other than Islam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-Tyr

aboutime
05-18-2013, 03:13 PM
JIMNYC and TYR. I know where the Egyptians came up with the Blasphemy charges.

They must have secretly visited the OBAMA'S in the White House where he..."The Pretender" Instructed them, using the ACORN rules.

For those who may not know. The ACORN motto is...."ALLAH ACKBAR ACORN"....Better known as the Brotherhood "TRIPLE A".