PDA

View Full Version : My Dad worked for the government

jimnyc
05-21-2013, 01:52 PM
Usually when I think of a government worker, I think of a politician in Washington that I would like to strangle. I then see members like Darin, who was in the military and continued his service to our country as a government employee. Sometimes I forget my own Dad was working for the state of NJ, as it didn't have a government or political feel to it.

My Dad was in the Sea Bees in the Navy, which I know very little about, long before my time. Then he got a job with the Department of Transportation. Likely patching up roads and other crappy work, but someone needs to do it! He stayed at the same job for over 40 years before he retired as one of the lead supervisors in NJ. The benefits he received during his employment were probably better than the pay, and now he still lives well on his retirement package.

Not sure why I posted this! LOL I guess to point out that I don't think all government workers are evil. That, and the fact that I am partially retarded and forget that my Dad worked for them. :thumb:

aboutime
05-21-2013, 01:58 PM
jimnyc: Every member of our military, active, reserve, and retired work for, or have worked for government. Making all Veterans govt. workers.

There's a huge difference between today's brand of Govt. Worker...as in IRS, EPA, HUD, and many others, compared to military.

Using a blanket statement, much like those who use the racial slurs that demand all Minorities are less than other human's is just wrong. As you said.

Just saw this. Thought some would like to see it. Speaking of Govt. Workers..

Abbey Marie
05-21-2013, 01:58 PM
Lol! I forget stuff like that, too. Anyone who stays at one job for 40 years gets my admiration for sticktoit-iveness.

Thunderknuckles
05-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Lol! I forget stuff like that, too. Anyone who stays at one job for 40 years gets my admiration for sticktoit-iveness.
In today's world, sticking with a union backed government job for 40 years will net you one hell of a nice retirement, so it easily pays off.
On Jim's point, unless your name is Harry Reid, I don't think government workers are evil. Douchebags maybe, but not evil.

darin
05-24-2013, 05:50 AM
In today's world, sticking with a union backed government job for 40 years will net you one hell of a nice retirement, so it easily pays off.
On Jim's point, unless your name is Harry Reid, I don't think government workers are evil. Douchebags maybe, but not evil.

I'm pretty sure you don't have a solid idea how Gov't Employee unions work. Mine is a paper tiger; they serve only to help administer corrective / performance "punishments" - to ensure Managers follow the letter of the regulation.

That's it. All pay/benefits are set by congress, etc.

I'm going to retire with about 36 years federal service - unless I stay until I'm 60, then it'll be 40 years. By then my pay will likely be well into 6-digits, and I'll supervise several hundred employees. Might even manage an entire installation/fort/base. My retirement will be pretty good. But having a great retirement plan is a perk to keep me working and dealing with the constant BS one puts up with while slaving away for "theMan" :)

Kathianne
05-24-2013, 08:46 AM
I commend anyone who works hard. It's a given that people will know the benefits of choosing where they work. Traditionally those working in government, service workers, had ok pay, but great retirement and benefits packages.

Today the salaries and benefits have exploded to costs that cannot be maintained. Is that fair that hundreds of thousands, more likely millions will see 'the rules' changed from what they thought was a done deal? Perhaps not, but neither can it go on.

Just reading this story, noticed the suspects salary after 10 years:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/24/new-jersey-cop-reportedly-firebombs-supervisor-home-charged-with-attempted/

...Dotro, who reportedly earns $118,000 annually, was suspended immediately without pay. He was charged with five counts of attempted murder and aggravated arson. He is expected to be arraigned Friday, NJ.com reports.

By 10 years in the police department my brother was a detective. At the time probably making $45-50k per year. decent salary for late 1980's. By the time he retired 3 years ago, his salary was close to $200k. His retirement is based on last 3 years of salary, he gets 80% of that amount. When he dies, his widow would get 1/2 that amount. All police retirement packages in that city are currently figured the same, though his salary certainly was higher than average, due to both years in and position held.

He retired after 32 years. He's very happy with how his retirement worked out, but knows that it's going to change, he was working on some of the ways they are going to changed, before he left. That will become clear when the contracts with unions expire in another 2-3 years.

BillyBob
05-24-2013, 09:37 AM
I'm sure the government is full of good people, but outside of the military, most of the one's I've encountered are angry, arrogant and female....like this one:

http://www.cashbasisplayer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/black-woman-attitude-300x246.jpg

Oh no I di int!

aboutime
05-24-2013, 12:55 PM
I'm sure the government is full of good people, but outside of the military, most of the one's I've encountered are angry, arrogant and female....like this one:

http://www.cashbasisplayer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/black-woman-attitude-300x246.jpg

Oh no I di int!

Well......Obama DID make a lot of Promises. And growing Govt. has more than One meaning.

Just trying to be funny, and change the anger atmosphere here. Let's stop the crappy Racial stuff. How bout it BillyBob???

BillyBob
05-24-2013, 04:41 PM
Well......Obama DID make a lot of Promises. And growing Govt. has more than One meaning.

Just trying to be funny, and change the anger atmosphere here. Let's stop the crappy Racial stuff. How bout it BillyBob???

How is it racial by pointing out that nearly every person I have encountered working for the government [outside of the military] is an angry black female? Am I supposed to ignore that fact or even lie and pretend they were all happy white men just to make everyone here feel better about themselves, me and the government?

aboutime
05-24-2013, 05:30 PM
How is it racial by pointing out that nearly every person I have encountered working for the government [outside of the military] is an angry black female? Am I supposed to ignore that fact or even lie and pretend they were all happy white men just to make everyone here feel better about themselves, me and the government?

No need to say anything further. It is, what you want it to be. And your words say it all.

BillyBob
05-24-2013, 06:24 PM
No need to say anything further. It is, what you want it to be. And your words say it all.

Yes, my words say that nearly all of the government workers I've encountered [other than military personnel] are stupid, angry, arrogant black women. I thought I was clear about that.

I have encountered them working for the IRS and the DMV. Imagine how much worse it's gonna be when Obamacare is implemented and they stand between you and your health care. Oh boy, I can hardly wait.