PDA

View Full Version : AP Big Story: FBI Knows Benghazi Murders, Obama Wants 'Smart' Diplomacy

Kathianne
05-21-2013, 09:19 PM
Smartest administration ever:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/fbi-ids-benghazi-suspects-no-arrests-yet

<header> FBI ID's Benghazi suspects _ but no arrests yet By KIMBERLY DOZIER (http://bigstory.ap.org/content/kimberly-dozier)

— May. 21 9:04 PM EDT

By: KIMBERLY DOZIER (http://bigstory.ap.org/content/kimberly-dozier) (AP)

WASHINGTON

<block></block>
WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. has identified five men who might be responsible for the attack on the diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, last year, and has enough evidence to justify seizing them by military force as suspected terrorists, officials say. But there isn't enough proof to try them in a U.S. civilian court as the Obama administration prefers.

The men remain at large while the FBI gathers evidence. But the investigation has been slowed by the reduced U.S. intelligence presence in the region since the Sept. 11, 2012, attacks, and by the limited ability to assist by Libya's post-revolutionary law enforcement and intelligence agencies, which are still in their infancy since the overthrow of dictator Col. Moammar Gadhafi.

The decision not to seize the men militarily underscores the White House aim to move away from hunting terrorists as enemy combatants and holding them at the military prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The preference is toward a process in which most are apprehended and tried by the countries where they are living or arrested by the U.S. with the host country's cooperation and tried in the U.S. criminal justice system. Using military force to detain the men might also harm fledgling relations with Libya and other post-Arab-Spring governments with whom the U.S. is trying to build partnerships to hunt al-Qaida as the organization expands throughout the region.

A senior administration official said the FBI has identified a number of individuals that it believes have information or may have been involved, and is considering options to bring those responsible to justice. But taking action in remote eastern Libya would be difficult. America's relationship with Libya would be weighed as part of those options, the official said, speaking only on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to discuss the effort publicly.

The Libyan Embassy did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

</header>

jimnyc
05-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Icing on the cake. Now they can sit in the war room again and watch the terrorist murderers walk away.

BillyBob
05-21-2013, 09:31 PM
What do you suppose creates more terrorists:

Fighting back?
or
Not retaliating when they attack us?

jimnyc
05-21-2013, 09:34 PM
What do you suppose creates more terrorists:

Fighting back?
or
Not retaliating when they attack us?

Allowing them and anyone like them to breath any longer than absolutely necessary. I'm convinced that they know absolutely nothing more than kill people, or to be killed.

Kathianne
05-21-2013, 09:36 PM
Icing on the cake. Now they can sit in the war room again and watch the terrorist murderers walk away.

where was Obama when this was going on? Why of all things would this be stonewalled?

BillyBob
05-21-2013, 09:37 PM
Allowing them and anyone like them to breath any longer than absolutely necessary. I'm convinced that they know absolutely nothing more than kill people, or to be killed.

I asked because Bush was accused of creating new terrorists by fighting back. Apparently Obama assumes that not retaliating is the way to defeat terrorism.

fj1200
05-21-2013, 09:44 PM

Snatch 'em up. I wonder if they fit in with BO's drone policies which are rather expansive.