PDA

View Full Version : Finding the best Mexican food

gabosaurus
06-03-2007, 08:34 PM
I have found that best and most authentic Mexican restaurants are located in parts of town where nobody speaks English. Such as where my sister and her husband live in East Los Angeles.
Today (Sunday afternoon) we went to a very small family owned and run place that had incredibly delicious food. I needed my sister to translate the menu and convey my order, since my Spanish is rudimentary at best.
All the items were made from scratch using fresh ingredients. The chips were made fresh and were served hot. The salsa and pico de gallo were made right before your eyes. The cheese was melted and placed on your food at the table as well.
There is food, and then there is FOOD! :cheers2:

5stringJeff
06-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Mexican food in upstate NY shouldn't be fed to dogs. It's hardly palatable. :puke3:

Mr. P
06-03-2007, 09:51 PM
I have found that best and most authentic Mexican restaurants are located in parts of town where nobody speaks English. Such as where my sister and her husband live in East Los Angeles.
Today (Sunday afternoon) we went to a very small family owned and run place that had incredibly delicious food. I needed my sister to translate the menu and convey my order, since my Spanish is rudimentary at best.
All the items were made from scratch using fresh ingredients. The chips were made fresh and were served hot. The salsa and pico de gallo were made right before your eyes. The cheese was melted and placed on your food at the table as well.

I'm so jealous!!!

jackass
06-04-2007, 07:25 PM
If you ever see a Chipotle restaraunt...give the burrito a try! Very good!

OCA
06-04-2007, 08:07 PM
Mexican food in upstate NY shouldn't be fed to dogs. It's hardly palatable. :puke3:

Mexican restauraunts on the East Coast as a whole are a joke. Now however I have found some authentic Cuban and Salvadoran joints that were good.

CockySOB
06-04-2007, 08:22 PM

The best food is rarely what is served in the fancy restaurants. The best food is usually found at the little mom 'n pop greasy spoon which has a few old-timers parked in their regular slots and the locals make a bee-line for it when the lunch-break comes.

Sounds like a fantastic place to eat, Gabs. Makes me think about where I want to road trip next. Now I'm hungry....

OCA
06-04-2007, 08:48 PM
The best food is rarely what is served in the fancy restaurants.

Yes and no. I can tell you i've been to Flay's joint in Manhattan and one of Emeril's places in Vegas and they were nothing short of spectacular.

Yurt
06-04-2007, 11:42 PM
The best food is rarely what is served in the fancy restaurants. The best food is usually found at the little mom 'n pop greasy spoon which has a few old-timers parked in their regular slots and the locals make a bee-line for it when the lunch-break comes.

Sounds like a fantastic place to eat, Gabs. Makes me think about where I want to road trip next. Now I'm hungry....

I haven't been to a bad el torito (http://www.eltorito.com/) restuarant yet. The one by Del Amo mall in torrence is the best.

Sitarro
06-05-2007, 01:14 AM

Just don't drink the water.:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

gabosaurus
06-05-2007, 06:47 PM
You can't go to a chain store and get real Mexican food. You have to eat in one of the small, individually owned places. The places where the owner might serve your meal, as opposed to some minimum wage teenager.

dan
06-06-2007, 12:49 PM
I have found that best and most authentic Mexican restaurants are located in parts of town where nobody speaks English.

I agree, nobody at my Taco Bell speaks English!:laugh2:

Yurt
06-06-2007, 04:24 PM
You can't go to a chain store and get real Mexican food. You have to eat in one of the small, individually owned places. The places where the owner might serve your meal, as opposed to some minimum wage teenager.

I don't know about that. One of my best buddies in college was a migrant worker who came here legally, worked his ass off in the fields, studied his ass off and made it to college (a little later than some) to get a higher degree to make more money. Anyways, he was as "mexican" as they come. He is not spanish.

Anyhooo, I took him out to dinner at some chain restuarant Azteca in tri cities WA (this after he took me to a local "real" mexican place in walla walla, we are talking hardcore, no sourcream etc...) and I'll be, he loved it! LOL. We laughed about it all the way home....