PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here try XMBC?

tailfins
05-23-2013, 10:10 PM
I'm thinking of giving it a try using an HD Homerun prime plus whatever TV it can include from internet sources.

http://xbmc.org/

About XBMC is an award-winning free and open source (GPL) software media player and entertainment hub for digital media. XBMC is available for Linux, OSX, and Windows. Created in 2003 by a group of like minded programmers, XBMC is a non-profit project run and developed by volunteers located around the world. More than 50 software developers have contributed to XBMC, and 100-plus translators have worked to expand its reach, making it available in more than 30 languages.
While XBMC functions very well as a standard media player application for your computer, it has been designed to be the perfect companion for your HTPC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_theater_PC). Supporting an almost endless range of remote controls, and combined with its beautiful interface and powerful skinning engine, XBMC feels very natural to use from the couch and is the ideal solution for your home theater.
Currently XBMC can be used to play almost all popular audio and video formats around. It was designed for network playback, so you can stream your multimedia from anywhere in the house or directly from the internet using practically any protocol available. Use your media as-is: XBMC can play CDs and DVDs directly from the disk or image file, almost all popular archive formats from your hard drive, and even files inside ZIP and RAR archives. It will even scan all of your media and automatically create a personalized library complete with box covers, descriptions, and fanart. There are playlist and slideshow functions, a weather forecast feature and many audio visualizations. Once installed, your computer will become a fully functional multimedia jukebox.
It is difficult to put into words all that XBMC can do, head to the gallery (http://xbmc.org/skins) to see some examples, or take the plunge and Try it Today (http://xbmc.org/download).

DragonStryk72
05-23-2013, 10:46 PM
yeah, we have xmbc here and it works fairly well.

Gaffer
05-24-2013, 07:29 AM
Never heard of it, but it sounds interesting.

aboutime
05-24-2013, 01:11 PM
I do believe the rules of this forum FORBID advertising any sites. This appears to be just that. Disguised as a TRY IT, kind of trick used by Online advertisers who tell the user. If you get enough people to click on our site....we will GIVE YOU....X, Y, OR Z.

Some call it spam. That's what I see it as too!

Granted. The claim it's FREE. But...read further, and discover the Ulterior motive for making it free.

tailfins
05-24-2013, 01:59 PM
I do believe the rules of this forum FORBID advertising any sites. This appears to be just that. Disguised as a TRY IT, kind of trick used by Online advertisers who tell the user. If you get enough people to click on our site....we will GIVE YOU....X, Y, OR Z.

Some call it spam. That's what I see it as too!

Granted. The claim it's FREE. But...read further, and discover the Ulterior motive for making it free.

Uh, no. That's how open source works. I was hunting for a one stop shop to bring TV sources together. If you know of a better framework, feel free to tell us. I don't care which one I use as long as it's not crash-prone. Get technically literate before try to start trouble.

aboutime
05-24-2013, 02:05 PM
Uh, no. That's how open source works. I was hunting for a one stop shop to bring TV sources together. If you know of a better framework, feel free to tell us. I don't care which one I use as long as it's not crash-prone. Get technically literate before try to start trouble.

Not trying to start any trouble. Just referred to using the rules about posting web addresses, or what could be seen as Spam.
I'm not the author of the thread. Therefore. I am not the cause of trouble.
Do you happen to work for the IRS, or Obama administration?

Marcus Aurelius
05-24-2013, 03:00 PM
I thinks he's safe on this one, About. I think the rule about spam and advertising sites is meant to deal with for profit situations, not open source stuff like this.

aboutime
05-24-2013, 03:02 PM
I thinks he's safe on this one, About. I think the rule about spam and advertising sites is meant to deal with for profit situations, not open source stuff like this.

Okay Marcus. Thank you for that. Tailfins. My apologies. I've grown accustomed to seeing endless attempts by people to circumvent the system, and make claims they are otherwise. You know? Like the Obama administration????
I beg your pardon. And, apologize for jumping the gun.

tailfins
05-24-2013, 04:38 PM
Okay Marcus. Thank you for that. Tailfins. My apologies. I've grown accustomed to seeing endless attempts by people to circumvent the system, and make claims they are otherwise. You know? Like the Obama administration????
I beg your pardon. And, apologize for jumping the gun.

No apology needed. For those who want to circumvent the system, lots of pirated software can be had from http://thepiratebay.sx/