PDA

View Full Version : Lighting

Jeff
05-24-2013, 08:37 AM
I have been Awol for a couple days due to a storm that hit 4:30 am Sunday Morning and yes I was on the net at the time, we were having a major rain and a little thunder rumbling off in the distance when all of a sudden the loudest thunder and lighting at the same time hit , I immediately knew we had been hit I grabbed a little pen light flashlight( my kids need to use the good ones for one reason or another :rolleyes:) and went outside but it was raining so hard I couldn't see anything , well when the sun came up ( or it got light anyway ) I went out and sure enough there was damage , My house is on a hill that goes down from the road all the way back and the guy I bought it from had leveled a area in the middle of my property to put the house but left the woods in the front maybe 15' from the front of the house , well it seems lighting hit a tree right in front of the house ( I knew this because it followed the root system down the hill and blew all the dirt off the root leaving a two foot ditch down the hill) it then went to the far right of my blowing the downspout ( for the gutters in half and while doing so throwing the concrete drain pad 10 feet or so from the house ) it then went under the house and came out at the opposite corner blowing my phone box out into the yard and frying the satellite connection box it then followed the phone line out to the road and fried 5 different things in as many boxes on the road , well we got the TV back on Monday and the phone on Tuesday man it could have been much worse but thank goodness for the grounds on those utilities or it would've followed it back into the house and yes I spoke to a member on the board here that does that kind of work and he agreed , But I thank God it wasn't worse it didn't cost a dime to get repaid ( well one down spout and a decorative splash pad ) but if this lighting had knocked the tree down , well lets just say we were very lucky !!

Kathianne
05-24-2013, 08:53 AM
I have been Awol for a couple days due to a storm that hit 4:30 am Sunday Morning and yes I was on the net at the time, we were having a major rain and a little thunder rumbling off in the distance when all of a sudden the loudest thunder and lighting at the same time hit , I immediately knew we had been hit I grabbed a little pen light flashlight( my kids need to use the good ones for one reason or another :rolleyes:) and went outside but it was raining so hard I couldn't see anything , well when the sun came up ( or it got light anyway ) I went out and sure enough there was damage , My house is on a hill that goes down from the road all the way back and the guy I bought it from had leveled a area in the middle of my property to put the house but left the woods in the front maybe 15' from the front of the house , well it seems lighting hit a tree right in front of the house ( I knew this because it followed the root system down the hill and blew all the dirt off the root leaving a two foot ditch down the hill) it then went to the far right of my blowing the downspout ( for the gutters in half and while doing so throwing the concrete drain pad 10 feet or so from the house ) it then went under the house and came out at the opposite corner blowing my phone box out into the yard and frying the satellite connection box it then followed the phone line out to the road and fried 5 different things in as many boxes on the road , well we got the TV back on Monday and the phone on Tuesday man it could have been much worse but thank goodness for the grounds on those utilities or it would've followed it back into the house and yes I spoke to a member on the board here that does that kind of work and he agreed , But I thank God it wasn't worse it didn't cost a dime to get repaid ( well one down spout and a decorative splash pad ) but if this lighting had knocked the tree down , well lets just say we were very lucky !!

Oh lord you certainly were lucky! Lightening hit one of my friend's big stone chimney years back. The chimney literally exploded and the wall caught fire. No one was hurt, they were all upstairs, but stones were found in the kitchen and far into the yard. What I didn't understand is 'where was the lightening rod?' Seems the insurance company asked too and some of the money was returned to insurance company by the builder. "Oversight" came up. Helluva oversite, the house cost over $700k back in 1980's to build!

Jeff
05-24-2013, 08:59 AM
Oh lord you certainly were lucky! Lightening hit one of my friend's big stone chimney years back. The chimney literally exploded and the wall caught fire. No one was hurt, they were all upstairs, but stones were found in the kitchen and far into the yard. What I didn't understand is 'where was the lightening rod?' Seems the insurance company asked too and some of the money was returned to insurance company by the builder. "Oversight" came up. Helluva oversite, the house cost over $700k back in 1980's to build!

Kat when I lived in SC my chimney also got hit , I had a acre and a half there and we had bricks out on the road all the way to back of the property , Lighting is some bad stuff , after hitting the chimney it followed the aluminum soffits all around the house blowing the spotlights on each corner and then followed the wiring inside the house blowing a switch panel ( with 6 switches ) clean off the wall and as it traveled through the electric wiring it crossed the phone wire and blew the phone off the wall , it also got my big screen TV , so yes this time I was expecting to have to contact the insurance company but we were lucky as can be

Kathianne
05-24-2013, 09:21 AM
Kat when I lived in SC my chimney also got hit , I had a acre and a half there and we had bricks out on the road all the way to back of the property , Lighting is some bad stuff , after hitting the chimney it followed the aluminum soffits all around the house blowing the spotlights on each corner and then followed the wiring inside the house blowing a switch panel ( with 6 switches ) clean off the wall and as it traveled through the electric wiring it crossed the phone wire and blew the phone off the wall , it also got my big screen TV , so yes this time I was expecting to have to contact the insurance company but we were lucky as can be

Yeah, as you said that about wiring, they had that too, I guess they were lucky that only one wall caught fire.