PDA

View Full Version : Why I don't own a smartphone

tailfins
05-25-2013, 06:27 PM
It's easy to blame the economy. Workers competing for too few jobs feel like they can't say no to their boss, even if it's a trivial request during a long weekend.

In my opinion the price of never saying no to your boss is higher than the price of getting fired.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100765600

BillyBob
05-25-2013, 06:31 PM
I don't own a smart phone, either. I hate cell phones.

Noir
05-25-2013, 06:41 PM
Anyone with a mobile phone (smart or otherwise) is free to use the power button at any time.

BillyBob
05-25-2013, 06:42 PM
Anyone with a mobile phone (smart or otherwise) is free to use the power button at any time.

I leave mine in my truck.

tailfins
05-25-2013, 07:26 PM

Do you understand how corporate management pressure works? Some people are NOT free to use the power button.

Robert A Whit
05-25-2013, 07:36 PM
I own 2 cell phones but both are in a box. They are not digital. Clearly I used to rely on cell phones a lot and I got in early. I stopped appraising so did not need one since I don't mind not being in contact at times. With a cell phone, it is like you can't get away from the noise.

So, I don't use them now. I am so old that once I was hooked up to a party line.

They were hooked up so that when either party picked up the phone, the other guy could listen in. Telephone etiquette however kept that down to a minimum as i recall this.

aboutime
05-25-2013, 07:50 PM
One of the reasons...I believe, our society is falling apart is. So many people now have cell-phones to make calls, text, twitter, and search the Internet. People have become less likely to actually TALK face to face with anyone.
Consequently. If a large percentage of the entire population NO LONGER TALKS, they also lose the needed, personal responsibility, and accountability PEOPLE once had.

This forum is a prime example of what I said above.

How many of us, as members of DP have actually spoken..IN PERSON, or talked IN PERSON to each other?

Now, multiply those numbers, and expand it to our entire 300 Million Plus population of Anonymous people.

Syrenn
05-25-2013, 11:38 PM
i have always had the latest and greatest mobile phones.... since there were IMTS car phones.

do i use my phone to play with the web or text. No
do i use all of its bells and whistles. No
I dont listen to the messages or read anything that is sent to it.

I do like that it has a camera, but never use the camera
i usually forget to take it with me...and when i do take it with me... good luck if its on. :laugh:

Noir
05-26-2013, 04:50 AM
Do you understand how corporate management pressure works? Some people are NOT free to use the power button.

Then that will be written into their contract of employment (or whatever the american equivalent is) and they will of signed and accepted that.

jafar00
05-27-2013, 01:14 AM
My only dilemma is whether to replace my Galaxy Nexus phone and Nexus 7 tablet with a "phablet" like the Galaxy Note 2 for the convenience of one large screen device.

BillyBob
05-27-2013, 08:06 AM
My only dilemma is whether to replace my Galaxy Nexus phone and Nexus 7 tablet with a "phablet" like the Galaxy Note 2 for the convenience of one large screen device.

Which one is the best for setting off IEDs?

jafar00
06-02-2013, 06:58 AM

I just got a Galaxy Note 2 and promptly modded it with Cyanogen Mod.

No idea what would set off an IED (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermittent_explosive_disorder) since I am not usually quick to anger, but I guess a bad phone call or SMS might make one a little miffed.

logroller
06-02-2013, 07:04 AM
My wife has Facebook and I like to post on this site; ergo, I have smartphone.

red states rule
06-02-2013, 07:06 AM

http://infidelsarecool.com/wp-content/uploads/carter-hugging-hamas.jpg