PDA

View Full Version : Al Gore and the internet

jimnyc
05-26-2013, 06:41 AM
The story has been told over the years that he stated "He invented the internet" and there has been much backlash on this, claiming he never said any such thing. I just read yet another article on this a few days ago where the far right was accused of making this up to discredit him as a politician and as someone supporting global warming.

Is there a difference between saying "I invented the internet" - or - "I created the the internet". It sure sounds to me like he says "I took the initiative in creating the internet" in this interview. Be on the lookout at about :50

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BnFJ8cHAlco" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Noir
05-26-2013, 07:00 AM
Its vauge enough for both sides to argue that the other side are deliberately misinterpreting whats been said.

jimnyc
05-26-2013, 07:02 AM
Its vauge enough for both sides to argue that the other side are deliberately misinterpreting whats been said.

'Splain to me, young man, what else can this mean?

"I took the initiative in creating the internet"

Either he took the initiative and created the internet, or he didn't, no?

Noir
05-26-2013, 07:29 AM
'Splain to me, young man, what else can this mean?

Either he took the initiative and created the internet, or he didn't, no?

Snopes 'splain it about as well as i could.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

Personally i'm amazed people seem to care more about this vague sentence 15 odd years ago....

jimnyc
05-26-2013, 07:39 AM
Snopes 'splain it about as well as i could.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

Personally i'm amazed people seem to care more about this vague sentence 15 odd years ago....

The 'caring' is based on the fact that many think it was a lie, or an embellishment. If you truly look outside snopes, and what he contributed politically, was really absolutely nothing. He didn't invent the internet, nor did he take any initiative, nor did he create. What HE said was political posturing. Sure, those who use it against him are doing so to an extent too, but at least theirs is based in reality. So long as the left and Gore supporters deny, I think it's fair game for others to prove him and the lame story wrong. If someone truly took a look into the history of the internet, from back when it was simply a message, to today's behemoth, you would find many, many unknown names responsible for fostering the technology and getting it going. All Gore ever did was support technology and the initiative to push forward with the internet. No way in hell should that relate to him with "initiative" or "creating" anything. If that be the case, almost every senator/congressman that was involved in any type of bill, could turn around and claim to be some sort of inventor.

And in a few years from now, we'll have Gore claiming he invented actions to stem global warming, when again all he did was support.

Noir
05-26-2013, 07:47 AM
The 'caring' is based on the fact that many think it was a lie, or an embellishment. If you truly look outside snopes, and what he contributed politically, was really absolutely nothing. He didn't invent the internet, nor did he take any initiative, nor did he create. What HE said was political posturing. Sure, those who use it against him are doing so to an extent too, but at least theirs is based in reality. So long as the left and Gore supporters deny, I think it's fair game for others to prove him and the lame story wrong. If someone truly took a look into the history of the internet, from back when it was simply a message, to today's behemoth, you would find many, many unknown names responsible for fostering the technology and getting it going. All Gore ever did was support technology and the initiative to push forward with the internet. No way in hell should that relate to him with "initiative" or "creating" anything. If that be the case, almost every senator/congressman that was involved in any type of bill, could turn around and claim to be some sort of inventor.

And in a few years from now, we'll have Gore claiming he invented actions to stem global warming, when again all he did was support.

Well people who know much more about what Gore did that I do gave him a lifetime achievement award for his contributions.

The Webby Special Achievement Awards will be presented by the Academy at the 9th Annual Webby Awards on June 6th in New York City. All of the Special Achievement Award winners are scheduled to attend to receive their honours.

The Webby Lifetime Achievement Award: Former Vice President Al Gore

Setting the record straight on one of recent history's most persistent political myths, The Webby Awards will present Former Vice President Al Gore with The Webby Lifetime Achievement Award in recognition of the pivotal role he has played in the development of the internet over the past three decades. Vint Cerf, widely credited as one of the "fathers of the internet," will present Vice President Gore with the award.

Unless this is all a form of international history-rewriting conspiracy, to cover up a half sentence uttered all those years ago.

jimnyc
05-26-2013, 07:55 AM
Well people who know much more about what Gore did that I do gave him a lifetime achievement award for his contributions.

Unless this is all a form of international history-rewriting conspiracy, to cover up a half sentence uttered all those years ago.

Sure, and Obama got the Nobel Peace Prize!! I read what those people have stated many, many times. You'll notice NOTHING they say shows him being involved technologically in the slightest bit. At best, he understood the future and supported it on a political side. But that is NOT creating the internet. It is what it is - him supporting technology efforts, it's that simple.

It's also this simple -if you believe he truly played a part in creating the internet - then surely you or the other professionals can share what he did in order to create it, no? Or is it as I believe, just that he was one of the leading politicians supporting the effort?

We have politicians supporting WiFi distribution and efforts for the past 10 years. Some wanting it bigger and better, available everywhere and for free. Would this mean they created it? Even thought others did 100% of the work, inventing and creating - and all these other guys did was learn from those efforts and push for it in the political arena? Of course not.

Al Gore no more created the internet, or any part of it, than Obama did in creating peace around the world.

Noir
05-26-2013, 08:04 AM
We have politicians supporting WiFi distribution and efforts for the past 10 years. Some wanting it bigger and better, available everywhere and for free. Would this mean they created it?

Yes, in the same way Obama created 'Obamacare' and whichever senator gets a new superhighway through his state 'created the highway' without laying any tar or digging any foundations.

Creating is a legislative sense is not the same as a physical or technological sense, that much is obvious.

jimnyc
05-26-2013, 08:18 AM
Yes, in the same way Obama created 'Obamacare' and whichever senator gets a new superhighway through his state 'created the highway' without laying any tar or digging any foundations.

Creating is a legislative sense is not the same as a physical or technological sense, that much is obvious.

If it were obvious what he did - he should have simply stated that he was a major supporter of the efforts in Washington, not that he created it. Obama no more created the affordable health care act either. That one is a tad different as he is the one signing off on it, but it was the Democrats who really created it. And it WAS something totally created on the political side - whereas what we are discussing with Gore is 2 sided, political and technology. It should be clear that they are separate, and that he had nothing to do with the technology side. The creation was already there and it was "initiated" and was working all without Gore.

Sure, speaking semantics, one can say that they helped create something if they were a political sponsor and such. I just don't think "creating" is the appropriate word here. Same with your superhighway example. A political sponsor should say at best that WE helped get it done, meaning political supporters and of course the state and/or workers who actually did the building. But even then, if it emanated in congress and they drew up plans, that would be different, as they may very well have had a say in the design of the highway. But again, in the Gore case, he did nothing at all on the actual creation side.

Imagine someone sponsoring and pushing through efforts towards the olympic games, only to later claim they created the olympic games. Off the top of my head - Chris Christie just sponsored and quickly pushed through legislation since hurricane sandy to have the NJ shore and boardwalks quickly rebuilt. No way in hell did he "create" the beaches or boardwalks though.

Noir
05-26-2013, 08:22 AM
Sure, speaking semantics,

And thats all this discussion is, semantics, with enough for each side to argue it their way, which apparently both sides have wanted to for well over a decade.

jimnyc
05-26-2013, 08:24 AM
And thats all this discussion is, semantics, with enough for each side to argue it their way, which apparently both sides have wanted to for well over a decade.

True dat! I still hate you though. :) Why are you here making me miserable, early on a Sunday morning? What time is it over there?

Gaffer
05-26-2013, 08:25 AM
Politicians create nothing. They put their name on bills and legislation that their staff create. Even their speeches are written for them. Just a bunch of do nothin' over paid primadonnas.

Noir
05-26-2013, 08:34 AM
True dat! I still hate you though. :) Why are you here making me miserable, early on a Sunday morning? What time is it over there?

^,^
Tis currently 14:33, and my Sunday is consisting of eating crumpets, watching x-files, and annoying some yank, Perf (:

jimnyc
05-26-2013, 08:48 AM
^,^
Tis currently 14:33, and my Sunday is consisting of eating crumpets, watching x-files, and annoying some yank, Perf (:

Thought you were behind. So it's the afternoon already there? Let me know who's winning the Yankees/Rays game. :)

WTF is a crumpet anyway? Like a twinkie?

Noir
05-26-2013, 09:10 AM
Thought you were behind. So it's the afternoon already there? Let me know who's winning the Yankees/Rays game. :)

WTF is a crumpet anyway? Like a twinkie?

Yeah, we're about 5 hours ahead of the East, and 9 hours ahead of the West, and given my recent luck on State Sports you'd probably rather i didn't...

Annnnd its a nordic type of pancake. Thick and made with flour and yeast, normally searved with butters and jams.

aboutime
05-26-2013, 09:14 AM
The story has been told over the years that he stated "He invented the internet" and there has been much backlash on this, claiming he never said any such thing. I just read yet another article on this a few days ago where the far right was accused of making this up to discredit him as a politician and as someone supporting global warming.

Is there a difference between saying "I invented the internet" - or - "I created the the internet". It sure sounds to me like he says "I took the initiative in creating the internet" in this interview. Be on the lookout at about :50

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BnFJ8cHAlco" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Truth is. Al Gore had absolutely NOTHING to do with the Invention, or Creation of the Internet.
PERIOD.

hjmick
05-26-2013, 09:33 AM
Al Gore is a thief, a man interested in nothing more than making his fortune off of the backs of the people he goes around scaring. He is a hypocrite who has no more interst in the well being of the enironment than he does in changing his ex-wife's diapers when she hits old age.

Fuck him.