PDA

View Full Version : Knocked Up

dan
06-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Pretty funny, not as good as 40-Year-Old Virgin, and not the breakout comedy of the summer, but it's got moments. Basically, plotwise, it was an extended episode of Everybody Loves Raymond, only with more sex jokes and pot smoking. But, it's good, especially if you're a fan of Judd Apatow's other work (lots of cameos).

Weird thing: yet another situation where people brought very young children to an outrageously adult movie. This happens to me all the time. Let alone the fact that the entire plot (drunken one-night-stand, a major plot point hinging on characters taking mushrooms) is not something I think kids should be exposed to, there are a few gross-out gags involving the actual birth (I believe "crowning" is the term) that could definitely freak some kids out. Certainly puts to rest the stork story for anyone who sees it, that's for sure.

-Cp
06-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Weird thing: yet another situation where people brought very young children to an outrageously adult movie. This happens to me all the time. Let alone the fact that the entire plot (drunken one-night-stand, a major plot point hinging on characters taking mushrooms) is not something I think kids should be exposed to, there are a few gross-out gags involving the actual birth (I believe "crowning" is the term) that could definitely freak some kids out. Certainly puts to rest the stork story for anyone who sees it, that's for sure.

I have seen that as well - freakin' parents taking their 4,5 and 6-7 year olds into rated R and PG13 flicks...

I don't get it..

dan
06-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Here's the thing:

1) I saw kids in the theater during Saving Private Ryan!!!! That is simply bad parenting. I wasn't even allowed to watch R-rated movies until I was about 12, 13, and even then, it was only the ones my parents approved. And these people take their kids to a place where it's demanded that their kids watch an R-rated movie.

and

2) it's inconsiderate to the other people there. I understand if you go see Shrek or Spiderman, if there's a kid in there crying or being loud, you kind of have to go with the flow. But, when I pay money to see a movie made for adults, I really get pissed off when a five-year-old is yelling in my ear the whole time.

Probably the funniest/most irritating example of this was at the Aqua Teen movie. Some guy brought a baby into the theater, only to have it start screaming almost immediately.... at a death metal band onstage singing about not bringing your baby to the theater. A few people in the audience actually cheered at that line, it was sort of funny.

Hagbard Celine
07-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Was good, but not as funny as I thought it was going to be (although parts were hilarious). Katherine Heigl was gorgeous. Seth Rogan was awesome as usual (I've loved him all the movies I've seen him in). Parts of the movie were too heavy, which I never care for--especially in a comedy. I actually think I would file this movie in the chick-flick disguised as a comedy category (lovable loser changes his ways to become the man of his girl's dreams) yada, yada--like all recent Adam Sandler flicks.

Final judgement: Good movie, some good laughs, go see it with friends or your girl.

dan
07-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Was good, but not as funny as I thought it was going to be (although parts were hilarious). Katherine Heigl was gorgeous. Seth Rogan was awesome as usual (I've loved him all the movies I've seen him in). Parts of the movie were too heavy, which I never care for--especially in a comedy. I actually think I would file this movie in the chick-flick disguised as a comedy category (lovable loser changes his ways to become the man of his girl's dreams) yada, yada--like all recent Adam Sandler flicks.

Final judgement: Good movie, some good laughs, go see it with friends or your girl.

The more I think about it, the more that did irritate me about it. I guess I wouldn't have cared quite as much if it hadn't started out as a very lowbrow stoner comedy before turning into a serious movie. It just makes that transition very awkwardly and (in my opinion) unnecessarily.