PDA

View Full Version : Last living man born in the 1800s

tailfins
05-27-2013, 08:42 AM
I used to think it was so cool to talk with neighbors and relatives born in the 1800s. Now there aren't any! Apparently there is only ONE man and 21 women still alive born in the 19th century, and that's counting women born in the year 1900.

This reminds me of my grandmother that used to say "Mom, could you help me up the stairs." At the time my grandma was about 75 and her mom was 91. My great grandmother was born in 1885; she died one week short of her 100th birthday and outlived her daughter.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/outnumbered-by-the-girls-hes-the-last-man-standing-20130524-2k6ry.html

aboutime
05-27-2013, 05:08 PM
Thankfully. My Mother-in-Law is still alive, and doing well. She was born in London in 1919, and still tells us stories about growing up during the BUZZ BOMB attacks that made her, and her sisters live in the Underground (Subways).

All of us should be visiting, and trying to get as much of the History from folks like her as we can.
They hold the reasoning, wisdom, and facts our children, and grandchildren need to LEARN before
all of them are gone.

I understand 1000 Veterans of WWII die every day in our nation. And they take our History with them.

Today is Memorial Day. Not much of it remains.

We only get ONE CHANCE in this life. Make the best of it.

I intend to stay around for a long time. Just wondering if anyone really cares? Other than my Loving family.