PDA

View Full Version : High School Teacher Faces Discipline for Informing Students About Their Rights

Trinity
05-29-2013, 08:05 PM
and another reason why my children are home/un schooled

A high school social studies teacher in Batavia, Illinois,faces (http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20130525/news/705259921/) disciplinary action for informing students of their Fifth Amendment rights in connection with a survey asking about illegal drug use. The survey, ostensibly aimed at assessing the needs of students at Batavia High School, was distributed on April 18. After picking up the survey forms from his mailbox about 10 minutes before his first class of the day, John Dryden noticed that they had students' names on them and that they asked about drinking and drug use, among other subjects. Dryden, who had just finished teaching a unit on the Bill of Rights, worried that students might feel obliged to incriminate themselves—an especially ticklish situation given the police officer stationed at the school. Since there was no time to confer with administrators, he says, he decided to tell his students that they did not have to complete the forms if doing so involved admitting illegal behavior.

http://reason.com/blog/2013/05/27/high-school-teacher-faces-discipline-for

Kathianne
05-30-2013, 01:33 AM
and another reason why my children are home/un schooled

A high school social studies teacher in Batavia, Illinois,faces (http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20130525/news/705259921/) disciplinary action for informing students of their Fifth Amendment rights in connection with a survey asking about illegal drug use. The survey, ostensibly aimed at assessing the needs of students at Batavia High School, was distributed on April 18. After picking up the survey forms from his mailbox about 10 minutes before his first class of the day, John Dryden noticed that they had students' names on them and that they asked about drinking and drug use, among other subjects. Dryden, who had just finished teaching a unit on the Bill of Rights, worried that students might feel obliged to incriminate themselves—an especially ticklish situation given the police officer stationed at the school. Since there was no time to confer with administrators, he says, he decided to tell his students that they did not have to complete the forms if doing so involved admitting illegal behavior.

http://reason.com/blog/2013/05/27/high-school-teacher-faces-discipline-for

Ok, that could have been me, if I was lucky enough to have been employed. I'm certainly not pro-substance abuse, but would advise my students to protect themselves.

actsnoblemartin
05-30-2013, 01:52 AM
cant stand this :poke:

Kathianne
05-30-2013, 02:40 AM
Seriously, I'm uncertain how to protect 'idiot' high schoolers from outing themselves. Give them another 3 years, obvious.

Trinity
05-30-2013, 12:02 PM
Ok, that could have been me, if I was lucky enough to have been employed. I'm certainly not pro-substance abuse, but would advise my students to protect themselves.

Right!

I'm not about pro-substance abuse either.....but he is the social studies teacher. Isn't that what he gets paid to do? Teach these kids about the constitution, along with american history.

tailfins
05-30-2013, 12:07 PM
Seriously, I'm uncertain how to protect 'idiot' high schoolers from outing themselves. Give them another 3 years, obvious.

How about a field trip to the courthouse? They can contrast defendants that were found guilty versus not guilty. Then you can ask to speculate how many of the acquitted clammed up during a police encounter. Then they can visit family court. When both my parents were working, my dad took me to court with him. I couldn't ask for a better life education.

Kathianne
05-30-2013, 12:17 PM
How about a field trip to the courthouse? They can contrast defendants that were found guilty versus not guilty. Then you can ask to speculate how many of the acquitted clammed up during a police encounter. Then they can visit family court. When both my parents were working, my dad took me to court with him. I couldn't ask for a better life education.

I only know the schools I'm associated with, all go to court watching in first semester of American Government.

aboutime
05-30-2013, 01:53 PM
We all know. Or at least, should know by now. Teachers are called Teachers because they Teach.

Sounds innocent enough to all of us, but... We must remember how Government School Systems being led, and controlled more by political biases, than the needs for the children to be taught. Is the root cause of nearly every story we read, or hear about like this.

How sad it is for both Our Teachers, and their Students in being the pawns of special interests. Namely...many Unionized, Union controlled school systems across this nation that have been COERCED into either following the Politically Correct rules laid down by HIGH PAID administrators who...more often than not. Are the products of the present Political Party in power from Washington on down to the local Party headquarters.

Kathianne. If you personally were Disciplined for teaching your students FACTUAL U.S. History, Constitution, and Citizenship. What recourse would you have in defending your job as a teacher?