PDA

View Full Version : Dyson Vacuum Fans?

darin
06-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Looking at a Dyson DC 14 Full Kit vacuum. Thoughts?

Mr. P
06-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Never heard of it. Way more than I'd ever pay for a vac though, if the price I saw is typical.

darin
06-04-2007, 05:01 PM
It's about half the price of a Kirby, though, which, IMO is the best of the best.

Mr. P
06-04-2007, 05:14 PM
It's about half the price of a Kirby, though, which, IMO is the best of the best.

Kirby is suppose to be good. But I just can't do it. I have a 25 year old Hoover that still works just fine..it is getting hard to find bags for it though.

jackass
06-04-2007, 07:01 PM
They all suck..or actually dont suck. Dyson is supposed to be very good. I used to sell the Rainbow which is a vacuum that used wated as a filter and bag. It was the best!! Very expensive though. If you have the cash...go for the Rainbow.

shattered
06-04-2007, 08:43 PM

Check Consumer Reports - there's a vacuum (I forget which brand - Bissell, or Hoover) that has an equivalent for about half the price. I've been looking at them for awhile now. Most I've ever spent on a vacuum is $350, and I've had it for about 10 years now... A Bissell Lift-Off - 12amp. Hasn't lost its suck yet.

manu1959
06-04-2007, 09:27 PM
buy oreck.....

http://www.oreck.com/

CockySOB
06-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Woot deals are not always deals. US$250 for a vacuum - refurb at that. I dunno dude...

Jon
06-05-2007, 03:39 AM

Don't become a vacuum fanboy? :laugh2:

Seriously though. There is a Hoover? vacuum out there that you can buy for $150 all day long that is just as good/better than the Dyson. Of course, you don't get the plastic dust aquarium with it. :poke:

remie
06-05-2007, 08:02 AM

We have one. I believe it would suck the chrome off a bumper hitch.

darin
06-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Thanks for your input - we got the dyson from Woot. :) I called it 'a birthday present' for my wife, who turns 29 this month.

shattered
06-05-2007, 09:12 AM
LOL! 3 no's, 1 yes, and he buys it.

Yer such a boy. :D

BTW, that one doesn't get under anything, and they're clunky - altho a pretty color. :D

darin
06-05-2007, 09:21 AM
LOL! 3 no's, 1 yes, and he buys it.

Yer such a boy. :D

BTW, that one doesn't get under anything, and they're clunky - altho a pretty color. :D

3 no's? You cited consumer reports - which I typically find to be useless. I think their reviews are crap, 8/10 times. Nothing personal against you, though - obviously. A couple other people mentioned other vacuums which 'do as good of a job' but without direct comparison by somebody I trust (i.e. CR is not an organization I trust), I wasn't compelled. :)

I read dozens of reviews and spoke with a friend who just sold her Dyson for a Kirby. For the price ($259 + $5 shipping) we were willing to take the risk :D

Jon
06-05-2007, 09:37 AM
3 no's? You cited consumer reports - which I typically find to be useless. I think their reviews are crap, 8/10 times. Nothing personal against you, though - obviously. A couple other people mentioned other vacuums which 'do as good of a job' but without direct comparison by somebody I trust (i.e. CR is not an organization I trust), I wasn't compelled. :)

I read dozens of reviews and spoke with a friend who just sold her Dyson for a Kirby. For the price ($259 + $5 shipping) we were willing to take the risk :D

Pro'lly worth it for $260, otherwise they're generally overpriced for what you're getting.

shattered
06-05-2007, 09:39 AM

Maybe, but if you're getting a $500+ Dyson for half, and it's been reconditioned, something's not right with it to begin with.. In spite of CR, I've been looking at them for a few years, and know people who own them... I, personally, haven't been convinced to pop the cash for one yet..

Good luck with yours, tho..

darin
06-05-2007, 09:43 AM
Maybe, but if you're getting a $500+ Dyson for half, and it's been reconditioned, something's not right with it to begin with.. In spite of CR, I've been looking at them for a few years, and know people who own them... I, personally, haven't been convinced to pop the cash for one yet..

Good luck with yours, tho..

The model I got was supposed to be 'exclusively sold through costco'. Anytime a return happens, the vacuum can be sold as 'refurb'd' when there may be nothing at all wrong with it - especially considering Costco's return policy. Frankly, out of the 4000 vacuums sold by Woot that day, I'd bet a large portion were simply a case of a husband finding out how much his wife just spent on a new vacuum. :)

And - if it was refurb'd say, because the sucker needed to be replaced, at least it'd have a brand-spanking new sucker.

:D

darin
06-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Pro'lly worth it for $260, otherwise they're generally overpriced for what you're getting.

:tup: I'll letcha know! :)

shattered
06-05-2007, 09:44 AM
The model I got was supposed to be 'exclusively sold through costco'. Anytime a return happens, the vacuum can be sold as 'refurb'd' when there may be nothing at all wrong with it - especially considering Costco's return policy. Frankly, out of the 4000 vacuums sold by Woot that day, I'd bet a large portion were simply a case of a husband finding out how much his wife just spent on a new vacuum. :)

And - if it was refurb'd say, because the sucker needed to be replaced, at least it'd have a brand-spanking new sucker.

...and a brand-spanking new sucker would just make your day, wouldn't it? :poke::coffee:

Mr. P
06-05-2007, 09:46 AM

Why don't you trust CR?

darin
06-05-2007, 09:47 AM
...and a brand-spanking new sucker would just make your day, wouldn't it? :poke::coffee:

Not new....figure 18-22 y/o would be fine. And it'd have to be a chick.

Jon
06-05-2007, 09:49 AM

That's OK. I'm being nice. I already have a well informed opinion of Dyson vacuums. ;)

shattered
06-05-2007, 09:49 AM
Overstock.com has them new for $439 (normally $549), and recon for $389..

I've never heard of "Woot"..

darin
06-05-2007, 10:50 AM
One deal. One Day. www.woot.com :)

Mr. P
06-05-2007, 11:08 AM
One deal. One Day. www.woot.com :)

Arrogant shits, ain't they.
http://www.woot.com/WhatIsWoot.aspx

darin
06-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Yup. :D

But buying a $2000 TV and only paying $5 to ship it...that's good lovin' right there.

Abbey Marie
06-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Nienna, where are you? I don't want to you to miss this- there are guys talking about vacuums in here!

Oh wait, ya'll are probably just buying them for your wives, anyway.

Mr. P
06-05-2007, 03:38 PM
Nienna, where are you? I don't want to you to miss this- there are guys talking about vacuums in here!

Oh wait, ya'll are probably just buying them for your wives, anyway.

HUH! No way! Ya buy a vac for the house, you buy her a hammer or drill or some other cool tool. :)

Abbey Marie
06-05-2007, 03:54 PM
HUH! No way! Ya buy a vac for the house, you buy her a hammer or drill or some other cool tool. :)

And season tix for football! :laugh2:

darin
06-10-2007, 01:22 AM
Got the vac today!

I vac'd about 80% of our ~2000 sq ft house and I'm hooked. Our 3-year-old nasty 'basic-new-house-carpet' feels SOFT again.

nevadamedic
06-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Thanks for your input - we got the dyson from Woot. :) I called it 'a birthday present' for my wife, who turns 29 this month.

When I worked for Sears I was also the trainer for Dyson products for three stores in my area. The Dyson is awesome. Ive been using it since 2003 havent had one problem with it. I worked for Sears for two years and we took in just about every brand of vacuum for service, but we never took in a Dyson.

nevadamedic
06-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Got the vac today!

I vac'd about 80% of our ~2000 sq ft house and I'm hooked. Our 3-year-old nasty 'basic-new-house-carpet' feels SOFT again.

Try the Dyson Carpet powder that came with it.

darin
06-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Try the Dyson Carpet powder that came with it.

We got no such powder. :(

shattered
06-10-2007, 02:33 PM
Don't try the powder stuff, anyway.. No matter how good your "suck" is, it's bad for your kitties. It still leaves a residue they can ingest.

darin
06-10-2007, 02:41 PM
Don't try the powder stuff, anyway.. No matter how good your "suck" is, it's bad for your kitties. It still leaves a residue they can ingest.

:tup:

shattered
06-10-2007, 02:42 PM
:tup:

Your kittycows can get all the nourishment they need eating small children. :D

Said1
06-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Fighting urge to vacuume hardwood.........must find swifter.........to be continued.............

nevadamedic
06-10-2007, 06:47 PM

The only difference between different store exclusive brands is usually colors or attachments thats it. They are all pretty much the same vacuum except the new ones on the ball.

nevadamedic
06-10-2007, 06:50 PM
We got no such powder. :(

It's animal and inviornmentally friendly and rejuvinates your carpet. We have used it for years and we have several small animals. You can write Dyson on their website and they should send you a sample of it for free if it didn't come with it.

nevadamedic
06-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Also remember to wash the HEPA filter out constantly. I do it twice a month minimum sometimes weekly. It's really easy to get to. Dont ever use soap or put it in the dishwasher just wash it and ring it like a sponge under hot tap water and keep doing that until you dont squeeze dirt out anymore, that will improve performance.