PDA

View Full Version : Saturday trip to Detroit (image intensive)

darin
06-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Yesterday I left the house early, and ventured to downtown Detroit and surrounding area. Was my first time carrying within the state - turns out, my fears were my own. At least during daylight. Below is the rubble and mess of the city - highlighted by human suffering or laziness, or simply beauty and innocence. I spoke with strangers. Met the insane, the impovershed, and the inspired. I spent time at a Gay pride block party. I met a lady feeding pigeons. I ate a GREAT Coney Island dog at Lafayatte Coney Island.

Was perhaps the best day in years. These photos are my own.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5321/8926473628_40ae082735_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8533/8925822265_ffd12a735b_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7374/8929973462_08b2912856_o.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5452/8929970050_6aa7f3e6c1_o.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5329/8929371271_42268bd984_o.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3701/8926422642_0d93353246_o.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5443/8925812113_58f7ce1921_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7344/8926438394_259dc7f1b8_o.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5331/8925829851_9b14ed6591_o.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2843/8925833709_473f1f8075_o.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3731/8925854989_059a156877_o.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3668/8925849339_2bd87fb4ce_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7431/8925841115_6ed6b2afa0_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7328/8926449768_711b292ef4_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7308/8929976664_af2cd3519c_o.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3811/8926459452_a508e96677_o.jpg

aboutime
06-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Thanks DMP. Just guessing, but I suspect you are also aware of how bad the Detroit Fire Department is suffering too!

Been a long time since I've heard from a friend who was a Firefighter there. But AMERICA should be told, and shown. As you have done here. Just what Their City, or Town can become as a result of Democrats, and Liberalism being accepted as the Only Game In Town.

Good job.

fj1200
06-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Yesterday I left the house early, and ventured to downtown Detroit and surrounding area.

It's a damn shame what they did to that town. Did you make it over to Greektown? Opa!

darin
06-02-2013, 06:24 PM
The pic - http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7431/8925841115_6ed6b2afa0_o.jpg and the one with "Tough times don't last - tough people do", AND the 'headquarters' pic

That's the same building. An old firestation.

Didn't make greektown this trip :)

Abbey Marie
06-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Fantastic!

Voted4Reagan
06-02-2013, 07:39 PM
www.Detroiturbex.com

See more pictures like Darrins

tailfins
06-02-2013, 07:42 PM
Obamaville!

darin
06-02-2013, 08:06 PM
This thread is about the photos, and the sights. Please don't get racial and don't get too political.

aboutime
06-02-2013, 08:09 PM
obamaville!

agreed......5092

aboutime
06-02-2013, 08:12 PM
This thread is about the photos, and the sights. Please don't get racial and don't get too political.

DMP. Looking at Detroit, as you presented it is wonderful to see. But ignoring the unspoken causes of the Detroit Deterioration would be remiss, and unavoidable here..on a Political Forum.

Your camera work is Professional, and Admirable. But...personally. Knowing much about Detroit as I do. You have only scratched the surface for that dying City.

hjmick
06-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Great pictures. Fucking sad, but great fucking pictures.

I've had a facination for the strange beauty of urban decay for quite some time now. You've captured it beautifully. You should consider putting together a book, coffee table style, self publish if necessary.

hjmick
06-02-2013, 08:45 PM
And if I can read correctly, the overall theme for this forum is: 'Political Forum for Debate and Discussion'.

And yet he started this thread in the "Chat" section of the forum. In the sub-forum "Lounge." Not the "Politics" forum or in any that forum's myriad sub-forums.

Chat... Lounge...

aboutime
06-02-2013, 09:29 PM
And yet he started this thread in the "Chat" section of the forum. In the sub-forum "Lounge." Not the "Politics" forum or in any that forum's myriad sub-forums.

Chat... Lounge...

hjmick. I honestly didn't notice which section this thread was started in here. I enjoyed the photo's about Detroit, and I told the author how I felt about them; knowing how desperate, and down the city has become over the years.
If offering an opinion is specifically limited, based on which forum it happens to be in. That's how it goes here.
A forum is a forum. Where all of us come to share, or trade opinions on all kinds of topics.
Bottom line. YOU and I are now CHATTING in this section of the forum.
IF nobody CHATS...there is no need for the forum.

tailfins
06-02-2013, 09:33 PM

That's like posting similar photos of Havana and asking people not to comment on how it relates to the Castro brothers.

SassyLady
06-03-2013, 12:47 AM
dmp ... truly awesome photos. Once again you have stunned me with your talent for capturing the sublime. I agree with you putting together a book ... I'd pay $50 or more to have a book of your photos. However, you would have to deliver to me and give me a private book signing party!!!!

:dance:

SassyLady
06-03-2013, 12:51 AM
Just as a side note to the others posting political opinions on this thread ... does no one have any respect for anyone around here. dmp just wanted to share the poignant aspect of the areas he visited ... he didn't take the pictures to make a "political" statement. And, if you cannot respect his request to just enjoy the pictures, then you have a one track mind focused on interjecting political opinions ad nausuem, which is kinda sad.

tailfins
06-03-2013, 08:08 AM
Just as a side note to the others posting political opinions on this thread ... does no one have any respect for anyone around here. dmp just wanted to share the poignant aspect of the areas he visited ... he didn't take the pictures to make a "political" statement. And, if you cannot respect his request to just enjoy the pictures, then you have a one track mind focused on interjecting political opinions ad nausuem, which is kinda sad.

Not all of us are photo hobbyists. I just now picked up on what you're trying to say because my wife is a photo hobbyists. Just consider this a bit of payback for the times others out of courtesy have to drop what they're doing and "smile". What if I don't want to smile because I'm focusing on seeing if that's a moose behind that tree?

jimnyc
06-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Damn, awesome pictures! When you coming out to the NY area? I need you to shoot pictures of my family and pets! LOL My cameras suck, my cell phone pictures suck - and the guy taking the pictures sucks at it! And can you bring Mary with you? :coffee:

jimnyc
06-03-2013, 10:27 AM
Guys, to address the few complaints - I understand the freedom of speech stuff, I understand we all have opinions, even about pictures from Detroit. I understand regular chat can be about other topics too...

But we've always considered ourselves an "adult based family board". In other words, while we are certainly dysfunctional, we are one big family. With that family comes respect. I'm not saying anyone purposely disrespected another, just pointing out how things have gotten us here in the past 6 years or so. We've always tried to keep the bottom half of the board a bit away from the politics, and more towards fun chat, family and friendly stuff. What about doing what I think BB has already done - start a new thread up top, link to this and state this is why you started the thread. This way one can still have their political discussion, while the lounge can still be talk about the pictures themselves and family/fun stuff. I think it's more respectful to keep it friendly and politics free down here, and save the other stuff for up above. I wouldn't want to start a discussion about my son and his allowance, only to have the monetary aspect to quickly change to Obama's economy. Not that I would disagree, but down here we would like the family/fun stuff to remain that way.

Did my babbling make any sense? :beer:

tailfins
06-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Guys, to address the few complaints - I understand the freedom of speech stuff, I understand we all have opinions, even about pictures from Detroit. I understand regular chat can be about other topics too...

But we've always considered ourselves an "adult based family board". In other words, while we are certainly dysfunctional, we are one big family. With that family comes respect. I'm not saying anyone purposely disrespected another, just pointing out how things have gotten us here in the past 6 years or so. We've always tried to keep the bottom half of the board a bit away from the politics, and more towards fun chat, family and friendly stuff. What about doing what I think BB has already done - start a new thread up top, link to this and state this is why you started the thread. This way one can still have their political discussion, while the lounge can still be talk about the pictures themselves and family/fun stuff. I think it's more respectful to keep it friendly and politics free down here, and save the other stuff for up above. I wouldn't want to start a discussion about my son and his allowance, only to have the monetary aspect to quickly change to Obama's economy. Not that I would disagree, but down here we would like the family/fun stuff to remain that way.

Yes it does. A non-photo hobbyist won't easily understand. Like I said, it took me awhile to figure out what the complaints were about.

jimnyc
06-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Yes it does. A non-photo hobbyist won't easily understand. Like I said, it took me awhile to figure out what the complaints were about.

I'm not really a photo hobbyist, but even if I post a picture of the great Pittsburgh Steelers, or of my Pug or any other picture - down here it's just more fun to leave the politics out of it and have fun. Plus, if Darin wanted it political, he would have posted it in the political forum. Since he chose the lounge, which is more or less for general chat, I think it's respectful to keep it fun and family oriented.

tailfins
06-03-2013, 11:04 AM
I'm not really a photo hobbyist, but even if I post a picture of the great Pittsburgh Steelers, or of my Pug or any other picture - down here it's just more fun to leave the politics out of it and have fun. Plus, if Darin wanted it political, he would have posted it in the political forum. Since he chose the lounge, which is more or less for general chat, I think it's respectful to keep it fun and family oriented.

So being in the Lounge is the "tag". The "latest posts" frame de-emphasises the location of the thread.

jimnyc
06-03-2013, 11:25 AM
So being in the Lounge is the "tag". The "latest posts" frame de-emphasises the location of the thread.

It is there showing the location, but I agree that it's not yelling into your face "YOU'RE IN THE LOUNGE!". Honestly, I don't use the latest posts feature. I just scroll up and down and look at the forums for new posts, or I click on the threads from the last 10 in the stats bar at the top right.

99% of the time you can read the OP and realize you aren't in the religion or political forum. Of course I would understand if someone made a mistake. But trying to make an effort to keep the fun and politics separated won't kill us.

tailfins
06-03-2013, 11:44 AM
It is there showing the location, but I agree that it's not yelling into your face "YOU'RE IN THE LOUNGE!". Honestly, I don't use the latest posts feature. I just scroll up and down and look at the forums for new posts, or I click on the threads from the last 10 in the stats bar at the top right.

99% of the time you can read the OP and realize you aren't in the religion or political forum. Of course I would understand if someone made a mistake. But trying to make an effort to keep the fun and politics separated won't kill us.

Actually, I haven't given a second thought to where a post is located when READING, except for now when it's the topic of discussion.

SassyLady
06-03-2013, 01:35 PM

Especially after those posting political opinions have been asked to cease and desist, regardless of where you think you are posting. Actually read what is being said and take that into account. When the OP says this isn't political ... then get a clue. At that point no one has to determine where the thread is "posted".

Thanks for explaining the design of the board and how it functions Jim. One would think the veterans members would have already figured this out a long time ago.

tailfins
06-03-2013, 01:58 PM
Especially after those posting political opinions have been asked to cease and desist, regardless of where you think you are posting. Actually read what is being said and take that into account. When the OP says this isn't political ... then get a clue. At that point no one has to determine where the thread is "posted".

Thanks for explaining the design of the board and how it functions Jim. One would think the veterans members would have already figured this out a long time ago. :bsflag:

The problem with that is pushy and bossy people who try to usurp power they don't have. Pushy and bossy people deserve no deference. I don't come here to fixate on a template. Such condescension is worse than any lack of attention that causes a misguided post. Had the post mentioned that comments were sought on the photographic skill and not the politics, I wouldn't have replied. Now YOU'RE stirring the pot!

jimnyc
06-03-2013, 02:05 PM
The problem with that is pushy and bossy people who try to usurp power they don't have. Pushy and bossy people deserve no deference. I don't come here to fixate on a template. Such condescension is worse than any lack of attention that causes a misguided post. Had the post mentioned that comments were sought on the photographic skill and not the politics, I wouldn't have replied. Now YOU'RE stirring the pot!

I THINK what she meant mainly, was that it's understandable that people post politically in a thread like this for example, but once explained to them where they are, and why we would like to keep it "family" oriented down here, it should end there. A member is free to go open a thread up top and explain that they got the idea from a thread in the lounge. But members shouldn't tell us we are wrong for wanting it that way and continue to post political stuff anyway, after a staff member asks politely and explains things.

Binky
06-03-2013, 05:19 PM
When I looked at those pics I thought of other cities across America that have areas in various stages of decay. It's a crying same that houses, once beautiful, stand rotting, and are vermin infested. When I saw those houses I thought at one time, decades ago, how they must have been standing tall, bright and cheery and full of families. Beautiful and regal looking. Homes that anyone would've been proud to live in. To show pride in. To enjoy. To nuture. And then bamm, the areas became like scuzbuckets, rotting debri, stench, violence, drugs, prostitutes etc. Decaying areas filled with decaying people. And yet, here in America, we continue to turn a blind eye, because we really don't want to see the ugly parts of our country that most people don't feel comfortable talking about.

While the rich live on counting their hoards of money in homes that would bring a broken down pauper to his knees had he/or she one little chance of spending a single night and day in, the world moves rapidly along, and the beauty of once was, becomes the decrepid, worn, beaten up, forelorned and forgotten. How utterly shameful.

aboutime
06-03-2013, 05:27 PM
guys, to address the few complaints - i understand the freedom of speech stuff, i understand we all have opinions, even about pictures from detroit. I understand regular chat can be about other topics too...

But we've always considered ourselves an "adult based family board". In other words, while we are certainly dysfunctional, we are one big family. With that family comes respect. I'm not saying anyone purposely disrespected another, just pointing out how things have gotten us here in the past 6 years or so. We've always tried to keep the bottom half of the board a bit away from the politics, and more towards fun chat, family and friendly stuff. What about doing what i think bb has already done - start a new thread up top, link to this and state this is why you started the thread. This way one can still have their political discussion, while the lounge can still be talk about the pictures themselves and family/fun stuff. I think it's more respectful to keep it friendly and politics free down here, and save the other stuff for up above. I wouldn't want to start a discussion about my son and his allowance, only to have the monetary aspect to quickly change to obama's economy. Not that i would disagree, but down here we would like the family/fun stuff to remain that way.

three !

jimnyc
06-03-2013, 06:14 PM
three !

Heh?

hjmick
06-03-2013, 06:14 PM
When I looked at those pics I thought of other cities across America that have areas in various stages of decay. It's a crying same that houses, once beautiful, stand rotting, and are vermin infested. When I saw those houses I thought at one time, decades ago, how they must have been standing tall, bright and cheery and full of families. Beautiful and regal looking. Homes that anyone would've been proud to live in. To show pride in. To enjoy. To nuture. And then bamm, the areas became like scuzbuckets, rotting debri, stench, violence, drugs, prostitutes etc. Decaying areas filled with decaying people. And yet, here in America, we continue to turn a blind eye, because we really don't want to see the ugly parts of our country that most people don't feel comfortable talking about.

While the rich live on counting their hoards of money in homes that would bring a broken down pauper to his knees had he/or she one little chance of spending a single night and day in, the world moves rapidly along, and the beauty of once was, becomes the decrepid, worn, beaten up, forelorned and forgotten. How utterly shameful.

This one comes to mind, also in Detroit:

http://www.detroityes.com/news/070920/601pics/SLUMPY-BEFORE-50511.jpg