PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart "Just Not American Anymore"

Psychoblues
06-04-2007, 09:15 PM
I think Americans need to stand up for American jobs.

By Randy Hall
CNSNews.com Staff Writer/Editor
June 04, 2007

(CNSNews.com) - A union-backed group is targeting Southerners and conservative Republicans through a new television advertisement accusing the nation's largest retail chain of abandoning American values in favor of its "cozy business relationship with China."

However, Wal-Mart officials -- meeting in Fayetteville, Ark., on Friday for the corporation's annual shareholders' meeting -- dismissed the effort as a "publicity stunt" that overlooks the retail giant's status as a global company.

"All Americans care about values more than just value, and Republicans and Southern conservatives are no different," said Paul Blank, campaign director for WakeUpWalMart.com, in a statement announcing the group's "Summer Southern Blitz" campaign to air 30-second ads in 30 markets at a cost of about $1 million.

"The fact that Wal-Mart values its business with China more than American jobs and national security will be especially disturbing to Wal-Mart's core customers who believe companies should reflect their moral values and put America first," he stated.

Blank, whose organization is financed by the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union, also pointed to a statement issued in 1985 by Sam Walton in which the Wal-Mart founder criticized the loss of U.S. jobs to imports and pledged to buy America-made products whenever possible to protect domestic manufacturing jobs.

"We can restore our manufacturing capacity, improve our national economy and renew our pride in American craftsmanship," Walton wrote while urging manufacturers to work with retailers to bring as many competitive American products to the shelves as possible.

That statement -- and last year's record U.S. trade deficit of $233 billion with China -- feature prominently in the group's first ad, which is entitled "It's Just Not American."

More: http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Page=/Culture/archive/200706/CUL20070604a.html

There is no such thing as a job that Americans will not do.

theHawk
06-05-2007, 07:46 AM
Hence why I never shop at Wal-of-China-Mart.

Gaffer
06-05-2007, 09:38 AM
I shop at wal-mart all the time and will continue to do so. The unions can go fuck themselves, they already fuck their members.

Mr. P
06-05-2007, 10:07 AM
I shop at wal-mart all the time and will continue to do so. The unions can go fuck themselves, they already fuck their members.

I feel the same way about Unions. In this case despite the smoke an mirrors the intent is to unionize Wal-Mart and nothing more. They could give a shit about US workers or jobs. Hell, just look at what they have done to the US auto industry.

One more thing these BOZOs don't understand is most Southern folks are anti-union. They've seen the results of unions, and are not as dumb as everyone thinks they are.

Gaffer
06-05-2007, 10:34 AM
I feel the same way about Unions. In this case despite the smoke an mirrors the intent is to unionize Wal-Mart and nothing more. They could give a shit about US workers or jobs. Hell, just look at what they have done to the US auto industry.

One more thing these BOZOs don't understand is most Southern folks are anti-union. They've seen the results of unions, and are not as dumb as everyone thinks they are.

Exactly. The unions are out to get membership to increase their monetary intake and nothing more. Pay scales and benefits for the employees would not improve, the union officials would just get fatter paychecks.

MtnBiker
06-05-2007, 03:12 PM
There is no such thing as a job that Americans will not do.

When you say "Americans", do you mean legal US Citizens?

Trigg
06-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Exactly. The unions are out to get membership to increase their monetary intake and nothing more. Pay scales and benefits for the employees would not improve, the union officials would just get fatter paychecks.

There used to be a need for unions. Back when people worked for low wages, in dangerous factories with no hope of insurance or compensation if they were hurt.

Fast forward 30yrs and now your completely right. They're out for themselves with no thought other than making themselves more money.

The unions have driven the price of a new car so high everyone buys used or leases.

theHawk
06-05-2007, 03:21 PM
So the moral of the story here is as long as you don't allow unions, doing business with 3rd world countries that don't have anywhere near our employment/environmental laws (and thus cost much less) are A-OK to do business with? We should reward such countries for doing this? Its perfectly OK to funnel our money to countries like China that ban religion and have forced abortions?

Where have all this country's conservatives gone?

Mr. P
06-05-2007, 03:53 PM
So the moral of the story here is as long as you don't allow unions, doing business with 3rd world countries that don't have anywhere near our employment/environmental laws (and thus cost much less) are A-OK to do business with? We should reward such countries for doing this? Its perfectly OK to funnel our money to countries like China that ban religion and have forced abortions?

If the union did get into WalMart prices would increase, do you really think there would be any change in suppliers because of increased operating cost? Or would they look for even cheaper ones?

My opinion is no, they'd stay with the current suppliers and compensate for the added cost with lay offs...Damn unions work well, don't they?

chum43
06-05-2007, 04:06 PM
I worked at wal mart for a year in the past and I have to say I've had many union jobs that treated me a lot worse, wal mart ain't a horrible place to work... but that is just on the union issue, I don't like the idea of unions... but as far as the overseas stuff, I dont really know anything about it and have no opinion on the matter.

Gaffer
06-05-2007, 04:10 PM

How about we send union organizers to those countries wal-mart buys from and let them start organizing at the source. I'm sure the unions will be welcomed with open arms.

Mr. P
06-05-2007, 04:14 PM
How about we send union organizers to those countries wal-mart buys from and let them start organizing at the source. I'm sure the unions will be welcomed with open arms.

Now that's a great idea!

gabosaurus
06-05-2007, 06:09 PM
The typical American consumer doesn't give a shit about unions. They don't care about Wal-Mart's working conditions or pay scale. They don't even care that most Wal-Mart items are manufactured outside the U.S.
Wal-Mart is cheap. And many of them are open 24 hours. That is why people go there.

Trigg
06-06-2007, 08:07 AM
The typical American consumer doesn't give a shit about unions. They don't care about Wal-Mart's working conditions or pay scale. They don't even care that most Wal-Mart items are manufactured outside the U.S.
Wal-Mart is cheap. And many of them are open 24 hours. That is why people go there.

Wal-mart tends to move into smaller towns and low ball their prices until they've put the competition out of business. Then they up the prices. The people are left with little choice, they can shop wal-mart or drive 1/2 an hour to the next town.

Around here there was enough customer loyalty to keep the local grocery in business, and by then everyone knew what Wal-mart was all about. I personnally refuse to grocery shop there, but with no other clothing or toy store closer than 45 min away I do shop there for other things.

Also, the typical American doesn't give a shit about unions because they've seen what they did in the past. Not to mention driving the price of cars through the roof and driving factory jobs out of the state. Unions arn't doing anyone anygood these days.

dan
06-06-2007, 12:54 PM
In Aiken, they're building a second Super Wal-Mart on the north side of town to match the one on the south side of town. That way the people on the north side don't have to drive the extra 10 minutes, I suppose.

In addition to all of this, how about the fact that Wal-Mart is making America look like one big shopping mall? Back in the day, people would take road trips to go out and see the country. I've been up and down the east coast, and, guess what? It all looks the same now.

5stringJeff
06-06-2007, 05:01 PM

Yup!

Hugh Lincoln
06-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Hell, AMERICA just isn't American anymore.

Psychoblues
06-07-2007, 05:28 AM
Kinda like the Republican Party fucks you regularly but you still vote for them?

Confusing retail with politics is a rEpublican problem. Sorry about that. Who are you trying to defend?