PDA

View Full Version : San Joaquin Valley in California

Robert A Whit
06-06-2013, 01:22 AM
Huell Howser videos are on PBS. Today I watched him at a location in CA in the San Joaquin Valley in the Bakersfield area. That area is many miles from the Pacific ocean. At one time, the Valley was part of the Pacific ocean. Bakersfield absent water is just desert.

A location known as Sharktooth Hill has teeth from a 50 ft shark called Megladon and it ate whales. Whale and sea lion skeletons have been found.

The mouth of the shark could hold 6 men standing up in it's mouth it was reported on Howsers program. (By the way, Howser died in 2011 I believe.)

Anyway, this link takes you to the museum site and if any of you hanker to do paleontology, head down to dig for fossils.

http://www.sharktoothhill.org/

logroller
06-06-2013, 01:56 AM
I was a bit confused for a moment. Huell Howser's dead. Sounded like you saw him on location. But shout out for Bakersfield!!! Shark tooth hill-- That place is also known for its high content of a potentially lethal fungus spores that cause lung infections. So visitor beware.

SassyLady
06-06-2013, 10:34 PM
I was a bit confused for a moment. Huell Howser's dead. Sounded like you saw him on location. But shout out for Bakersfield!!! Shark tooth hill-- That place is also known for its high content of a potentially lethal fungus spores that cause lung infections. So visitor beware.

LR ... you and I both know there is more than Shark Tooth hill to beware of in and around Bakersfield!!! :slap:

Robert A Whit
06-06-2013, 10:49 PM

The link I posted warns people to obtain and use filters so they do not get infected.

I had said Howser died. It was a DVD played on PBS.

Ps, have you met Sassylady?

SassyLady
06-06-2013, 11:55 PM
I grew up in and around Bakersfield. Log and I haven't met yet, but I pass through there about 4-5 times a year to visit relatives, so it's on my list to meet up eventually.

Robert A Whit
06-07-2013, 08:28 PM
I grew up in and around Bakersfield. Log and I haven't met yet, but I pass through there about 4-5 times a year to visit relatives, so it's on my list to meet up eventually.

I was born in Tulare and my brothers in Bakersfield and Sacramento. I know the roads there a bit but can't say I know the city. I have been there many times. I used to fly to Barstow over the Tehachapi pass when I piloted a lot. I like the field at Barstow.

Marcus Aurelius
06-07-2013, 08:31 PM
How is this a Current Event, again???

gabosaurus
06-07-2013, 10:00 PM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100703122124/pvx/images/thumb/1/1d/Nobody_cares.jpg/480px-Nobody_cares.jpg