PDA

View Full Version : Rep Count

jimnyc
06-08-2013, 09:02 AM
I was 2nd in rep count, just behind Kathianne as per the below image. I care more about the use of the system. It's nice to know every now and again that someone appreciates a post. But the numbers? Couldn't really care less. If you look at the top 10 after this, I dropped myself just below Logroller to the bottom of the list (I thought it would take me out of the top 10, but made me 10th. I would lower it more to completely get off the list, but I had to edit more than just that. My account, as the first registered, can't be altered like everyone else, so I had to make changes just so that it could be altered! Don't want to do that again! LOL But I wanted to lead by example that it supposed to be for fun, it doesn't amount to much at the end of the day. With that said - I am now taking bets on how long before this thread ends up in the cage!

http://imageshack.us/a/img521/3429/repmi.jpg

BillyBob
06-08-2013, 09:12 AM
It would be unwise to bet with the guy who has the power to put it in the cage. Just sayin'....

hjmick
06-08-2013, 09:20 AM
Personally, I prefer the "Thanks" feature...

Now if you could just add a "Go Fuck Yourself" feature...

But I'd settle for a "No Thanks..."

BillyBob
06-08-2013, 09:21 AM
Now if you could just add a "Go Fuck Yourself" feature...

That's exactly what the Rep system is.

hjmick
06-08-2013, 09:25 AM
That's exactly what the Rep system is.

Only if you're an asshole.

Me, I never neg anyone. Never have, never will.

gabosaurus
06-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Can we eliminate the rep count entirely? As I have said before, it really serves no purpose other than as a conservative circle jerk. :slap:

jimnyc
06-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Can we eliminate the rep count entirely? As I have said before, it really serves no purpose other than as a conservative circle jerk. :slap:

Says the liberal who has a positive rep count on a board filled with those conservatives.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Says the liberal who has a positive rep count on a board filled with those conservatives. Perhaps it highlights too well the hypocrisy of liberals and shows clearly the evidence of the conservatives to both living and embracing --fairness... I positive rep my opposition here and to date have -NEVER- issued a neg rep to anybody here! I consider that fair and even gabby has never gotten a neg rep from me. Although I have mistakenly reported a post but gave no comments because it was a mistake and there is no way to undo it after having made it. I think it was on Kat after I had just thanked her..lol--Tyr

red states rule
06-08-2013, 12:02 PM

Perhaps you are jealous of your rep total

Then again, if your posts were not comprised of all number two - you would be number one in the rep catagory

BillyBob
06-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Only if you're an asshole.

Me, I never neg anyone. Never have, never will.

I only neg rep Marcus Whineyus and only because he started it. Been a lot of fun!

aboutime
06-08-2013, 01:33 PM

And, you also forgot to mention HOW TIRED YOU ARE, after all this time. Being the PIVOT MAN/WOMAN running that circle.

Robert A Whit
06-08-2013, 01:33 PM
I think that coupled with time of joining, number of posts and so forth, it shows that one either makes posts very appreciated or not appreciated.

Some have been posting 4-5 years yet have half the reputation I have.

When somebody says my posts suck, I just look at the reputation count and figure they wish they had my number over their number.

Won't be long and I hit one million.

I don't think reputation goes up when one calls a member bad names.

red states rule
06-08-2013, 01:36 PM
And, you also forgot to mention HOW TIRED YOU ARE, after all this time. Being the PIVOT MAN/WOMAN running that circle.

or how "busy" she is when she gets her head handed to her via facts, logic, reason, and valid links

Or is that when she becomes "bored" and exits stage left from a thread?

SassyLady
06-08-2013, 03:20 PM

Gabbey, I've used it to communicate with you when I've felt you said something worthwhile. Only a trolling liberal would say something like "conservative circle jerk". I find it offensive and wish you wouldn't resort to such childish acting out.

Personally, I use the rep system to let people know how I feel about a subject without putting it in the thread because it's something private.

In all the years I've been here only one person ever neg repped me and it was RW. I've also never neg repped anyone ... if I have something negative to say, I'd rather say it in person where everyone can read.

But, hey, that's just me.

:coffee:

Robert A Whit
06-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Gabbey, I've used it to communicate with you when I've felt you said something worthwhile. Only a trolling liberal would say something like "conservative circle jerk". I find it offensive and wish you wouldn't resort to such childish acting out.

Personally, I use the rep system to let people know how I feel about a subject without putting it in the thread because it's something private.

In all the years I've been here only one person ever neg repped me and it was RW. I've also never neg repped anyone ... if I have something negative to say, I'd rather say it in person where everyone can read.

I forget why I neg repped you.

I sincerely apologize. Gave you rep today.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-08-2013, 04:24 PM

:coffee: Same with me. I too use the rep system to share private thoughts on a subject with the person I am giving the rep to. Although I've never negative rep'd anybody I have been very tempted to about a couple dozen times here. :laugh: My rule is if I still feel the same way about the comment the --next- day I'll neg rep. that member, so far that's not happened. -Tyr

red states rule
06-08-2013, 04:28 PM

Remember SL - when it comes to Gabby no act of kindness goes unpunished

aboutime
06-08-2013, 04:31 PM
Will someone kindly share, or tell me exactly WHAT purpose the REP COUNT has for anyone?
Is there a Prize somewhere down the road for whoever gets the most points?

red states rule
06-08-2013, 04:36 PM

SL, you have to remember that no act of kindess shown towards Gabby will go unpunished

BillyBob
06-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Will someone kindly share, or tell me exactly WHAT purpose the REP COUNT has for anyone?

Most boards have done away with the dopey rep system. It's main purpose is to harass other posters. Take advantage of it while you can.

red states rule
06-09-2013, 05:06 AM
Most boards have done away with the dopey rep system. It's main purpose is to harass other posters. Take advantage of it while you can.

In most cases the ones who complain about the rep system are the trolls who get neg repped

I was one liberal board where the rep system was used to lower the rep of conservatives so when the poster reached -20 they were limited to 2 posts every 24 hours.

In one case, we had a poster (Virgil) who was at about -200,000 rep and his posting was not limited in any way

hjmick
06-09-2013, 09:07 AM

The only way to win a prize around here is to be the person who posts last in the "The Last Person to Post in this Thread wins $5,000" thread...

Just sayin'...

gabosaurus
06-09-2013, 10:37 AM

Dang, I actually agree with you on this.
The rep count has no purpose. Why not just go with one point for like and minus one point for dislike. That way, n00bs with 10 posts won't end up with an inflated figure.

jimnyc
06-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Dang, I actually agree with you on this.
The rep count has no purpose. Why not just go with one point for like and minus one point for dislike. That way, n00bs with 10 posts won't end up with an inflated figure.

Well, not entirely true, like Sassy stated, it does allow for some to complain about it and speak with vulgarity in reference to it, even if a "lady". :rolleyes:

Abbey Marie
06-09-2013, 01:38 PM
Every once in a while someone decides to complain about the rep system. Not sure why since it is a pretty unnoticeable system very easily ignored. Since Jim initiated the "Thanks" system, reps have been used much less. But many of us still like to take time out to send a positive rep comment for a particularly awesome post. And it means more now to take that time since the thanking has so taken over. There is a place for both public thanks and private commentary via Rep. Don't like it- don't use it.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-09-2013, 08:06 PM
Every once in a while someone decides to complain about the rep system. Not sure why since it is a pretty unnoticeable system very easily ignored. Since Jim initiated the "Thanks" system, reps have been used much less. But many if us still like to take time out to send a positive rep comment for a particularly awesome post. And it means more now to take that time since the thanking has so taken over. There is a place for both public thanks and private commentary via Rep. Don't like it- don't use it. I say don't like it, don't use it. Its convenient and an added feature here. Never saw anything to complain about it myself. -Tyr

Robert A Whit
06-09-2013, 08:18 PM
I say don't like it, don't use it. Its convenient and an added feature here. Never saw anything to complain about it myself. -Tyr

The long time posters with low reputation may be those not liking it.

To me, it is a useful tool.

tailfins
06-09-2013, 09:05 PM
I have been spending most of today with a Mennonite community hearing how bad of a sin any kind of retaliatory behavior is, come here to see what the board is up to and see this. Talk about having the air let out of your balloon.