PDA

View Full Version : Reminds me of a song from long ago...

Trinity
06-08-2013, 10:19 AM
My ex, it's his weekend to have the boy's, and he was very adamant about making it a point in court a few months back on how he wanted them coming over every 2 weeks, so he could spend time with them. That lasted for about the first 6 weeks, then went to about once a month. He is supposed to pick them up at 5pm every other Friday and keeps them till Sunday.

My ex calls last night at 7:44 pm. (2 hours and 44 minutes after pick up time.) He leaves this message "hey it's ________ I am in West Virginia for the next 5 or 6 weeks working, so I won't be able to get you this weekend. Thanks for calling me yesterday and wishing me happy birthday!

(sarcasm on)Thanks for calling after pick up time, and letting us know you were going to be out of town for the next 5 to 6 weeks, before you left to go out of town.(sarcasm off)

My boy's reaction ...... "sweet we don't have to go back over to his house for 2 months, and when has he ever called us on our birthdays?!"

Sad..... but I warned my ex for years this would happen, you don't spend time with them, you don't participate in anything they do, you think paying child support means you are being a father to them.....nope doesn't work that way.

which reminded me of this song.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OqwKfgLaeA

gabosaurus
06-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Strangely enough, I had a counseling session with an eighth grade boy about a month ago who hated being used as a divorce toy. He is an only child and his father got custody every other weekend. Dad works a lot and doesn't really have time to spend with the kid, but takes him just to spite the mom. The kids usually just spend the weekend watching TV or playing video games.
Kids should not be placed in the middle of bitter divorces.

BillyBob
06-08-2013, 12:56 PM
I believe Harry Chapin's wife wrote those lyrics.

Abbey Marie
06-08-2013, 01:02 PM
I believe Harry Chapin's wife wrote those lyrics.

I'd heard that too.

Trinity
06-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Strangely enough, I had a counseling session with an eighth grade boy about a month ago who hated being used as a divorce toy. He is an only child and his father got custody every other weekend. Dad works a lot and doesn't really have time to spend with the kid, but takes him just to spite the mom. The kids usually just spend the weekend watching TV or playing video games.
Kids should not be placed in the middle of bitter divorces.

I absolutely agree kids should not be put in the middle of divorces or used as a tool to get at the other parent. I choose to not involve my kids in mine and my ex's battles. I made it a point to try and not talk about their father in front of them when they were younger because I was not going to be that parent.

And I still don't talk about him, because I have nothing nice to say. He on the other hand talked crap about me to the boy's quite often when they were at his house for the weekends. I guess he didn't realize the kids talk to me about everything, including the things he says and does while they are there.

However my kids grew up with their dad choosing to do whatever he wanted, when ever he wanted, instead of spending time with his kids. His computer games, going to the bar, and hanging out with his friends were more important to him then going with his kid's to football practice, parent teacher conferences, movies, park etc. etc. So by the time I divorced him, they were 9 and 7, and had already experienced his behavior and attitude, and how he was towards them. Nothings changed since then.

As they have gotten older he has done nothing more for them, then he did when we were all living in the same house. They are now 17 and 15 and in my opinion have just cause to feel the way they do about their father.

And I never had to say a word against him. He brought it on himself.